Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Served on tap in Norwalk, Connecticut.

The beer is a light orange tone, with a 1 finger head.
It tastes like grapefruit with a random dash of spices thrown into the mix. Tastier in reality than that might seem.
Mouthfeel gas cloves with a bite, with a touch of citrus.
This is an above average IPA. Smutty did a great job with it.

mltobin, Apr 19, 2009

Pours orange in color with a white fluffy head with a good amount of retention and lacing left behind. Smells of cirtus, hops, pine. Tastes smacks you in the back of the head...the smell is faint but the taste is huge. Lots of pine/hops/citrus up front and a nice slightly bitter finish. Would drink again, no doubt, but would rather have a few other IPAs if I had the choice. Just not my kinda IPA, I guess.

Sean9689, Apr 17, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

Looks sort of murky gold with lots of sediment, smells like melons with just a hint of the bitter hoppiness to come, and the taste, wow, smooth citrus hops at the beginning and then a crisp hop bite to end with, with some malts standing up to the hops all the way through. Really well balanced.

Medium carbonation, very very drinkable (unlike some of the monster American IPAs, which just want to hop you over the head), makes me want it to be summer so I can sit on a porch and drink these and eat a nice refreshing summer food.

This is one of the few beers I can see myself buying a whole case of, and then needing another case once I was done with that.

lstokes, Apr 14, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +19%

Smuttynose IPA "Finestkind" poured from a 12oz bottle, chilled to about 60 degrees, into a room temperature pint glass.

A: It looks like honey. The beer has a rich, full yellowish/orange color which looks exactly like honey when sitting on the table. When held up to the light the honey/gold color takes on a slightly orange tint, with the fine carbonation bubbles streaming from the bottom to the top, helping maintain the 2-3mm head which sticks around for the whole experience, providing absolutely outstanding lacing to the glass. Upon the initial pour the beer foamed a foamy almost pure white head, which settled down to the 2-3mm head that I mentioned before. There's a light haze in the coloration, which is due to the beer being an unfiltered and bottle treated. If you hold it up to the light and get your eyes right up to the glass you can see the fine haze of yeast floating. All in all, an exceptionally nice looking pint.

S: It starts out with a slightly bitter smell, giving a hint of whats coming, but it is rapidly overtaken by the smell of ripe cantaloupe, which just gets sweeter and stickier the longer you inhale. Most IPAs that I've encountered have had either bitter fruit or floral heads on them. This beer has no flowers, and the bitter fruit smell only lasts for a second, before, as stated above, the smell of sticky, syrupy fresh melons takes over completely. The beer smells absolutely delicious.

T: Delicious, easily one of the best IPAs that I've tried. It's got a crisp start, off-sweet mid-palette presence and then an absolutely crushing hoppy, bitter finish. But the thing is, they get it right. This beer doesn't leave me wincing or grimacing when the hops hit, instead this beer revels in giving just enough of hop back-hand to bring you back for more. This beer stands up well on its own, and I get the feeling that it would be outstanding with a New England style Clam Bake. My only criticism, is that the beer, on its own, tends to cause a little bit of palette fatigue.

M: Perfect carbonation and smoothness. Nothing more I can really say. There's enough carbonation to help this beer tear through a nice rich fish fry, and that coupled with the hoppy finish also make it awesomely refreshing mid day beer.

D: The only thing keeping this beer from getting a 5.0 for drinkability is the same thing that gave it a 5 in taste. The intense hopping of this beer would make me worry about palette fatigue. Other than that, I think this is an exceptionally drinkable IPA.

mackd, Apr 12, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Seems like I'm getting into the big leagues here. This. Beer is one of my first incursions into the American world of hop and it's already a bit scary but good.

Pour is an unsuspicious deep golden orange tone with scarce head and some carbonation. Heck, it even seems bland.

Nose is predominantly roastey malts and I'm beginning to think this is more like a British pale or red ale. But come the flavour- initially a very unusual, hard to describe parallel rush of sweetness with an embracing bitterness. In my opinion, this is the grapefruit juice of beers, if you get what I mean.

However nice this is, and much like a ruby red, I'd find it hard to drink more than a couple. I still have to hop- train my palate to stand these bitter rushes. Brilliant beer nonetheless.

Andreji, Apr 10, 2009

Appearance - A beautiful IPA to be sure! Orange and golden butterscotch colors are set against an almost glowing frame. The perfect color for an IPA, and the head is up to snuff as well. Cocaine white in color, as it looks almost hefe-weizen like. The lacing is of the highest order and looks like sea foam drenching the sides of the glass. Hop oil was very thick in the bottle, and has added a generous bit of hop bits floating around at the base of the glass. A definite 5.0 score!

Smell - Lots of melon, in fact so much so that it drowns out the usual grapefruit smell found in most ipa's. The hops are big and bold and grab at you through the glass. To top it all off, it seems as if they just drizzled honey all around the glass to give it a sweet touch and bring it all together. This is the best nose on an ipa since hopslam, and might be as good if not better.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Seeing as this one has thrown a perfect game so far, we'll see how it stands through the meat of the lineup. Unlike the nose, the hops just blast through and gnash at anything that stands in their way. So bitter that it seems to wash everything else out. After a few sips and letting it get deeper and deeper into my tongue, the sweet honey combed malts come out. I don't think i've ever tasted an ipa so strong! It drinks like an imperial ipa! The mouthfeel is thick and coating, with a huge bitter twang to it.

Drinkability - Make mine a smutty! Sounds like the best idea since sliced bread. If they all taste like this, why the hell not? Make mine a Smutty indeed. The best and boldest ipa that i've ever drowned my taste buds in. This one cuts through all the bullshit and says "Eat hops, don't worry about any of that complexity crap. Choke on my hops!" Oh you dirty little whore!

ryrust5301, Apr 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

Picked up a bottle of this at New Beer while i was in NYC.

Appearnce - A beautiful copper color with a nice cloudiness. A thin white head settles in to almost a mist on the top of the beer after the pour. Nice lacing grips the sides of the glass

Smell - Nice fruity hop scent. A slight bit of malt backbone, but those hops are awesome. I would make this an air freshener in my house given the chance.

Taste - Nice bitter hops and a bit of sweet malt. Its so smooth and has that nice hop bite at the end but the citrus hops really set off in the mouth. A hint of piney hops as well.

Mouthfeel - Slick and oily like a true IPA. Its got nice carbonation and a touch of zest on the palette.

Drinkability - Damn is this great. I could pound six of these watching a ball game or BBQ'n on a spring day. It's just so refreshing in a damn this beer makes me wanna do nothing all day kinda way. In fact I would look just like the two old geezers on the bottle. I'd sit in my yard and get shit faced!

ShrLSU, Apr 10, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours hazy golden-orange with a one finger white head, and thick stripes all the way down the glass.

Aroma is bright citrus, grapefruit, and pine.

Sweetness from the malt upfront is understated, citrusy hops come up big from the beginning, with a bitter, hoppy, piney finish that sneaks up on you but sticks around. A bit pungent.

Moderate carbonation, mouthfeel is spot on.

JohnQVegas, Apr 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Golden amber, nice head and good lacing.

Hit of grapfruit but some malt makes itself known with a bit of caramel. Pretty "west coast" style for an NH brewery.

Taste hits with a burst of hop bitterness - a distinguishing feature of this brew. For a single IPA with only 5.8% abv this has a huge hoppy citrus kick to it. Big bitter aftertaste - very nice. The guys in the old bitter beer face meisterbrau commercials would not like this one.
Grapefruit is there in spades as is a bit of tropical fruit reminding me why this is one of my standby beers. When I first had this beer a few years ago all I got was bitterness - at the time not altogether good thing. Now I think this is what an IPA should be.

Medium to full bodied with a long finish.

Always leaves you wanting more and at 5.8% you can have it.

roscoehnj, Apr 07, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a seethru light gold/yellowish body with a two-finer white head that died slowly and left some lace. A sharp citric hop aroma with some floral notes and a hint of malt sweetness. Very sharp fruit flavors come through in this light-to-medium bodied beer, along with dry/sweet malts. Sort of a mix of caramel and bread malts dance on the tongue along with fruit flavors like orange, pear, grape, lemon (a little). Hops lead to a dry backbite but aren't overly bitter. Liked the sharp contrasts of the hops and malts. A quality IPA.

clayrock81, Apr 06, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first beer after a "long" 2-week hiatus from beer. I'd been daydreaming about this IPA for awhile now.

Pours a murky, and chunky with debris, gold with a nice rocky white head on top. Retention was excellent, leaving with it frothy globs on the glass edge. Smells more malty that hoppy. Have I been "away" too long? Some floral tones, but not the definitive piney, citrusy scent that I was expecting.

This is beer is crisp and clean. Mouthfeel is firm, carbonation level medium. Nice hop bite with each sip, but nothing that blew me away. Malts balance nicely with this one. A very easy drinker. Not a bad IPA. I'm glad I'm back...

Onenote81, Apr 06, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

a-nice copper gold color with 1 finger head that stayed for a short while..

s-pine, fruity hop aroma, slight malt, and a fresh cut grass smell...

t-bitter hops and piney taste...slight malt up front but dominated by hops...perfect after a days work in the yard

m-slick and slightly oily like an ipa should be imo...not too thick and not too thin...just right

d-i could have a couple of these in a sitting...not a session beer for me...but worthy of a couple in a single sitting

overall a very nice beer...not my favorite ipa but glad its available....i will have this again as the temp warms up and we get closer to summer

stoutfiend27, Apr 05, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Poured into a pint glass, beautiful copper color with about 1 finger head. The head dissipated after about a minute with nice lacing. Fair amount of sediment in the beer

S - Citrus aroma up front, reminiscent of grape fruit. Slight malty scent in the back.

T - Really well balanced, hops have a great piney flavor which is perfect for this beer. Perfect bitterness unquestionably an IPA but not too assertive.

M - Crisp and nicely carbonated. Refreshing

D - This is a great beer well balanced and not overwhelming. Perfect for a saturday afternoon. This is going to become one of my go to beers.

Pmazz19, Apr 04, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2%

Another beer that's championed me through many a Red Sox game, why has it taken me so long to get to you?

A: Cloudy coppery honey color with loads of particles floating around. Solid one and half finger head of classic white. Honors class representation on the lacing.

S: Balanced from the outset -- an intermingling of piney, citrusy, and very grapefruit-like hops intertwined with brown sugar, biscuit, and cracker malts.

T: Possibly the most balanced IPA I have encountered -- lots of pine and grapefruit but with plenty of sweet malt backbone to support the hops.

M: Full medium bodied with a nice half-slickness.

D: If any American IPA, particularly one that employs West Coast hops, strives to attain balance, this is the benchmark. A Fantastic IPA for anywhere, anytime, anyway.

phantomwyse, Apr 04, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours light golden with a fairly thin white head that dissipates to a thin layer quickly. Medium carbonation. This particular bottle has a ton of sediment for an American IPA, and even without that looks as though it might have a bit of haziness.

Hop aromas are predominately herbal and floral. A surprising whiff of something malty, almost oatsy. A bit muddled and clunky on the nose.

Malt balances the palate nicely once it warms a bit. Medium length bitter finish, with just a bit of citrus.

A great beer from a great brewery at a great price. I think the value outweighs any technical or even style preference flaws.

oldhippie247, Apr 02, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

I've heard stories about this being great. When I saw a sixer in WI, I just had to pick it up.

A: Looks pretty solid with a beautiful orange color w/ a faint amber hue.

S: Fruity with beautiful citrus hops. The malts are there too, with just enough sweetness to balance it out. Very fragrant for a standard IPA. I'm really suprised how it has kept its aroma as the "drink by" date is April 14th.

T: Malts and hops married together in a perfect union. First the subtle sweetness of the malts are there with a hint of caramel. Fruity esters lead you into the hoppy greatness. I get a strong grapefruit bitterness that transitions into a citrus masterpiece. Tangerine and even some lime here. Really quite fantastic. What I envision the perfect IPA to taste like.

M: Lighter medium bodied. Finishes crisp and clean. Nice carbonation.

D: I must say this is one of the finest IPAs I've ever had. A perfect example of how you can have hops and malts together in an IPA. I'm growing tired of one-dimensional "beat you over the head" IPAs with nothing but hops. This beer has balance. This is something that I miss in my American IPAs. I wish I could get this in Minnesota. I will travel to Wisconsin often for this treat.

brewdoc75, Apr 02, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

A - glowing orange, mostly clear, tight white head, leaves some sticky lace

S - very clean, fresh citrus, lemon, grapefruit, light sweetness

T - bitter grapefruit, crackery malt with light sweetness, finish is longer lingering bitterness,

M - light bodied, low carbonation, smooth, some hop astringency which is not unpleasant, puckering/drying bitterness, gentle alcohol

D - oh hell ya, beers like these go down way too easy for me.

Simple. Solid. Another IPA that delivers. Nothing too extreme here, but a very fine IPA nonetheless. If I had it my way, beers like this would be considered everyday beers and available all over Canada, instead of just an occassional treat.

Best before is notched at March 09, but still tastes great. I can only imagine what a fresher sample would taste like.

Thanks to Viggo for the bottle!

markaberrant, Mar 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Date says April 2009

A: The colour of the beer is golden with a nice fluffy head.

S: the nose on the beer is filled with floral hops and a slight spiciness (like chinook or something). The beer

T: The beer is quite bitter, but is balanced by a solid malt sweetness that is a tad bit bready. The hop flavours that come through are the floral hops and a spiciness. Quite tasty.

M: Medium mouthfeel and adequate carbonation.

D: VERY

swizzlenuts, Mar 27, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured this beer from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint.

The beer poured a nice hazym dark yellow color. There was a slight shade of amber orange as well. A small one finger head stayed on the top of the beer for half of the drinking session.

The beer smelled wonderful. There was a nice mix of citrus and hop in this brew.

The taste goes really well for this brew. There is some grapefruit and pine flavored beginnings that break way to wonderful hops.

The mouthfeel is above average but feels a bit dry. This moves into the drinkability. I can definitely enjoy a few of these during the game and would definitely drink more, however at some point I would probably make a switch.

Final Thoughts - This is a great entry into the IPA genre from Smuttynose. I will definitely pick this brew up again. Recommended.

bsend, Mar 22, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Best by: March 09. This one is on the cusp.

The color is a gold to burnt orange. There are floaties in the beer that, as a homebrewer, do not scare me. I can smell the hoppy goodness from here. A nice foamy head settles into a super sticky lace.

Smells of lightly toasted nuts and malt, some caramel and a little light fruit. I really think my nose is broken, this should be huge with hops but perhaps they've dissolved with age.

Taste is bright, crisp and clean. Light to medium body with hops on full display but not too prominent so as to be annoying. Malty caramel perfectly balanced with the bitter hop resins finishes out the taste but the balanced taste of both lingers for you to contemplate which you taste more.

Mouthfeel is like a mans beer should be. A little sharp up front and full but lean in the middle with a tongue snapping taste tattoo in the end. Really nice.

Drinkability, yes. This is like a long weekend in the summer kind of beer. You will likely wear out your taste buds after 2-3 but a cracker and some water will have you wanting more. Good stuff.

"Finest Kind", indeed. I hope to find a fresher one to do an update sometime.

StrangeBrewer76, Mar 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Twelve ounce bottle bought as part of a mixed twelve pack. Bottle marked as best by May 2009. Pours a golden orange color. Very hazy with some sediment. Tons of bubbles rising in the glass. Pour produces about two fingers of off white head. Decent retention and great lacing.

Smells mostly of citrus and light malt. Floral notes. Nothing too prominent. Seems reserved, even as it warms.

Lots of citrus upfront. Mostly grapefruit with some orange. Some sweet light malt to balance, as well as a little caramel. Finishes with flavors of pine and grass. Alcohol is only there with a little warming in the throat. Aftertaste is some bitter pine resin.

Mouthfeel is very good. Creamy with the perfect amount of carbonation. Dances on the tongue and is quite smooth.

One of the better regular IPAs I have had. Very balanced with great hop character. Available year round and at a decent price. I could definitely drink a number of these on any occasion.

jimj21, Mar 19, 2009

A - Vibrant, cloudy orange/amber with a nice, off-white sticky cap that drops to a collar. Lots of Belgian-like lace.

S - Grapefruit, marmalade, leather and pine.

T - Somewhat likes it smells with a very nice malty undertone; the hops are there for sure but don't clobber your tongue Very tasty!

M - Bracing but refreshing with a softness that makes this an intriguing IPA. The carbonation is modest.

D - Great for year 'round enjoyment, especially during the warmer months. Cheers!

pinotboy007, Mar 19, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased at Nikki's in N Providence, RI. Bottle had a best by date of June 2009.

A - Golden and cloudy with suspended chunks of yeast (not quite what I expected from an IPA with a safe best by date). Very little head.

S - Nice toasted malt aroma and some fruity and floral hops. Not big but nice.

T - Toasted malt with bready and biscuity flavors balanced by some nice fruity and floral hops as well. Some citrusy hop bitterness too. Well done.

M - Very low carbonation (but it works well) and a moderate consistency.

D - I was a bit leery based on the suspended yeast chunks but this beer was very good. I'd love to try this stuff on tap.

GJ40, Mar 19, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Bomber. Best before 3/09, so I hope it's still good even though it's not as fresh as I wanted.

Slightly cloudy orange, very small head. Ring and film stick around for the drink. Nice aroma of fruit and citrusy hops, a little bit of musk.

Delicious flavor, even better mouthfeel. A very hoppy and bitter IPA for the medium-light body, which is fantastically creamy, buttery, and smooth. It fills the mouth beautifully with near perfect carbonation. Flavor is very piney, woody and bitter. Some malt sweetness, but the focus is big hop flavor. Very drinkable and totally satisfying. This is going to be a go-to for me. I can only imagine what it's like really fresh!

dasenebler, Mar 16, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

always loved a dense LOOKING brew...yet, bright (foggy) amber with nice head that settles not too fast leaving an artful, minimal lacing. just sitting there, it looks great.

smell is not blasting out like a boom box (which i like only in the nugget nectar's grapefruit kaboom) BUT this is really nice and has a moderate muscadine-citrus effect going on...i sense it being a perfect blend of hops and malt...there's more to it being layered...it's 3-dimensional and a smell i have to say is pretty stellar. i hope it repeats.

whoa...what is THAT taste. totally different and unexpected. yep, hoppy bitterness i would dream of...but what i always smell as 'grapefruit' actually tastes of it, though of course in hop terms. wow...another swallow reveals INTENSE hoppiness but barely a sense of malt...and it (leading to mouthfeel) is bright and crisp without any sense of heaviness...a little thin, but it seems to match the flavor profile just fine.

this seems to be one of the hoppiest, non-malty bottlings i've had so far. making this stand out a bit. one to return to and hopefully find it on tap. drinkable, for sure, but i admit, anyone not liking hops need to stay clear of this one.

one other thing...i think the weird, mysterious bitterness i am getting is MENTHOL? or eucalyptus...maybe juniper? extreme pine sap...?

edit addendum: i never like to read previous reviews when i am reviewing...interesting the previous reviewer mentions juniper...but i don't get the 'sweetness'...so, good to know (no criticism here!) that there is very close common ground on one count and extreme difference on another. a highly recommended brew worth staying in touch with. it will challenge your expectations.

mempath, Mar 15, 2009