Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

a: This was a somewhat hazy golden color, a bit on the dark side. It was served to me with a short frothy cap.

s: Grapefruit and lemon hop aromas backed by plenty of caramel. Fresh and inviting.

t: Well balanced IPA. Caramel and grapefruit are both abundant but neither takes over. The finish is a bit rough, with some of that flavorless, harsh bitterness.

m: Almost unbelievably creamy, very nice.

d: Certainly a very good IPA, but I have to admit I was hoping for a bit more.

On tap in pint glass at the Lucky Dog.
Served with one finger of head with decent lacing. Deep floral nose along with a light citrus smell. Strong grapefruit and pine hop flavor hit hard up front with a dry and bitter finish that lingers for a while. Solid mouthfeel with proper carbonation. Put two down in short order. Very classic example of the AIPA style.

4.88/5  rDev +19%

A - looks good to me, if the floaties are supposed to be there, I like watchin' em float.

S - if fresh air had a smell, it would smell like this, with some citrus thrown in

T & M - Grapefruit and floral with a bite and very D-are-eye finish.

D - Unlike some other IPA's I've had this does not overpower. High drinkability in my opinion.

Overall, a great beer, and it seems everything I've had from Smutty has been good. This and Racer 5 are probably my current favorites as IPA's go.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner...

initial smell in the bottle is unimpressive.
the smell when poured into the glass is slightly better.
It has a very slight citrusy smell - not overwhelming.

Pours a well carbonated honey color with thin white head... the unfiltered sediment is appealing to the homebrewer... (think sea monkeys) - this gives it slightly foggy/cloudy look.

it appears light bodied but it feels slightly heavier on the palate. As american IPAs go, this isn't bad. I usually like more aroma from this type of beer.

the taste has a great bitterness and excellent mouthfeel.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

It has a bronze/gold color with a slight haze. Poured with very little head that dissipated quickly. The smell is a little funky at first, but ends with a very nice piney hop smell. There is a very nice pine hop flavor as soon as the beer hits the mouth and stays throughout the drink and for a while once the drink is finished. It goes down pretty smooth, but leaves a bitter hoppy taste in the mouth a while after the drink. I did drink this right after Pliny the Elder, and I hope I didn't knock this beer undeservedly.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Slightly dark gold/bronze color with a finger of white head that quickly disappeared and left a thin lacing on the glass.

S - Subdued hops with some bitter esters and sweet malt.

T - Lots of bitter hops and some smooth sweet malts. Unlike many IPAs this has a far more steely strong bitter hop profile.

M/D - Mouthfeel is rough in a hard bitter way, but not bad for this type of IPA. This is a beer that will hit an exact spot when you're in the mood for it.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A: Pours a nice hazy gold/orange with lots of fish-food floaters. Didn't get much of a head at all, but did leave some nice rings throughout.

S: Floral, citrus, and piney hops.

T: Strong grapefruit and pine throughout. The hops completely squash any chance of any maltiness to be noticed. Very very dry and hoppy and loving it!

M: Crisp, medium-bodied, and very refreshing.

D: This is a fantastic IPA! Personally, one that I could have a lot of. Very crisp and refreshing. Definitely not an IPA to use if you're just trying to get into the style, thought.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Although there isn't much head at all, what head there is creates a ton of lacing around the outside of my glass. The smell is hoppy, but not as much as I would have expected based on descriptions of the beer's taste. After my first sip, I understand the hype. I'm so glad that smuttynose is now available in Ohio. This beer has incredible amounts of hop bitterness. Almost a steely type of flavor with a lot of bite. This might be my new goto IPA.

Bomber w/ best before date: July 2010

I haven't had this beer in about two years and decided to revisit it because I wasn't too fond of IPAs at the time.

Slightly hazy golden color bordering on amber. Small white head slowly fades back down leaving soapy bubbles on top. The lacing coats the glass evenly, fizzes and drops back down leaving a scattered spider web of foam.

Smell is nutty, woody, and piney. In the taste there is one thing that I remember, it was very bitter for just an IPA. Upon my first sip it was just how I remembered it being, long-lasting bitterness. If this were gum, it would be "Extra" longlasting gum. The bitterness just lasts and lasts and lasts.

There is something that I don't remember at all. I get a huge taste of watermelon. To be exact it actually tastes like a watermelon Jelly Belly with a piney after taste. The hop combo and flavor is very different from any IPA I've ever had. This definitely stands on it's own and is very unique. This could quench the bitter thirst of any West Coaster. And they'd be surprised to find out it wasn't a DIPA.

The malt doesn't really have a chance to shine through all these hops. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's anything more than base malt anyways.

Mouthfeel is so smooth and hoppy. There's a sensory overload in each sip. I'm thinking that unique flavor is from slight vegetable character because of all the hops that must be used in making this. Although I don't know how much hops are used in this brew either. There's definitely a hefty bittering addition though. I think they are using that flavor to their advantage though. But, even though I'm new to brewing, I could be wrong about this whole theory.

This was a great revisit. Smuttynose knows how to please a beer geek and is very underrated, IMO.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the B with soupedupdeisel. I've only had this one in a bottle a long time ago before I appreciated HOPS. I am now reviewing as a HOP ADONIS.

A - A yellowish peach color with a nice white head and amazing lacing. I think of the old video game "dig dug" when I look at the intricate lacing designs. Almost looks as though the little character that digs went around my whole glass carving out parts to create the image left on my glass.

S - Wow, did someone squeeze grapefruits and drip sap from pinecones into my glass??? To borrow part of my review from soupedupdeisel - "It smells like Christmas morning, does this beer come with presents?"

T - A medly of pine, hops, grapefruit, and almost no malt backbone. Not for the squeamish. Don't try to introduce your coors light drinking friends into the craft brew world with this one. They will choke and spit it up. This isn't quite the hoppiest beer I've ever tasted but it is the most piney. I feel like they tapped a tree and filled up my pint glass adding a shot of ground up pine cone at the end.

M - Very tight and crisp, nothing forgiving about this one. I feel like you'd either love it or hate it. Medium carbonation and in your face flavor. This is the gusher fruit snack of the beer world.

D - Even though the ABV is not that high... this one was a sipper for me. I was trying to keep some of my taste buds in tact for the next beer. Very bold ipa... very enjoyable.

3.2/5  rDev -22%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours a orange-ish amber color with lots of floating particulates. I know the beer is unfiltered but this looks like swamp water, very unappealing. If I hadn't heard so many good things about this beer I would have drain poured it based on the appearance.

Unfortunately the aroma isn't helping redeem this beer for me. I expected to get a big hoppy nose, but I got more earthy, mildly malty smell with just the slightest hint of hops.

The taste is more impressive, but not by much. A fair amount of hop bitterness with lots of grapefruit and piney flavors. Nice clean flavor. Unfortunately I am still underwhelmed. While it is not terrible, it is certainly not terrific...

Although the appearance is disconcerting, and the aroma is lacking in character the flavor definately makes up for it.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours up a nice golden color with a full 2 finger head. Tons of floaters here. More than I am used to and probably have ever witnessed. Crazy to see this in an IPA.

S: Pine and floral hops. Very nice pungent smell.

T: Strong piney hops. Grassy and floral notes as well. Really no malt backbone at all here. A very unique IPA. Dry and hoppy with no real sweetness. Pleasantly surprised to find an IPA with all hop and no malt.

M: Nice crisp feel. A little bit creamy. Better than most but not outstanding.

D: Crisp and refreshing. Could session alot of these.

3.05/5  rDev -25.6%

The label says it's unfiltered and boy do I believe it. This pours out an astonishing amount of floaties. It looks like sea monkeys are living in my beer. I'm guessing this is a sign of collapsed proteins, a clear a sign of an overaged beer. Damn. The color is a murky golden brown topped by a 1.2" foamy head that lays down nice spots of lacing.

The neck label also says it's dry hopped. Neck label lies. The aroma is mostly grainy and in no way hoppy. The best before date says it's good until a notch between A and M of just past 10. Might it be too late already, with April 2010 just over a month away, and this coming from an unrefrigerated shelf somewhere in Buffalo? As it warms it's almost...earthy. Musty like a wet basement in the most humid days of August? Meh. Smuttynose indeed. Some caramel does come out as well, but at this point it's too little, too late.

Luckily it tastes way better that it smells, though with a modest amount of bitterness for an IPA, again likely due to the lack of freshness. Lots of grapefruit and tropical fruits with (weak though it is) a sticky, leafy, resiny bitterness that clings to every corner of the mouth.

Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation and very creamy, all of which makes this go down easy.

This was a strange one for me. The aroma was off-putting and yet it tasted pretty good. But it wasn't at its freshest. Knowing this in some ways I feel it might not be fair to review this beer, but they came up with the best before date of April 2010, not me. For me the experience was a strong argument for putting bottled-on dates on IPAs rather than best-before dates.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden hue with yeast particle suspended throughout and a slightly off white head. Lots of citrus fruit on the nose and a little bit of sweetness. An almost perfect blend of flavoring and bitter hops with a sweet malt backbone, bright citrus upfront and a mouth puckering bitter finish. Dry mouthfeel and a medium body, flavors stick to the roof of your mouth like peanut butter. This is a tremendous brew that nails it, a great beer all around.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A - pours a clear, light golden orange with a decent amount of head that leaves lacing like crazy
S - ooo...smells a bit musty. skunky isn't the word but it has something a little different in there...like if BO smelled good it would smell like that. Definitely the hops but possibly yeast as well. I like it
T - at first it was a bit unbalanced, the hops dominating everything with a citrus/grapefruit flavor with a lot of earthiness. Good flavors, but unbalanced. Then as the beer warmed the malts came out and the hops became a little bit more subdued. That's when this ale came to life for me.
M - medium bodied, smooth, sticky, well-carbonated. All around good.
D - definitely drinkable

*This brew was significantly different on tap than in a bottle, neither better nor worse. I would say that I remember the bottled version being more "standard" IPA and the draft version standing out a bit more.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of off white head. It is is orange in color and has some yeast floating around in it. It smells sweet and citrusy, orange , lemon, grapefruit. The taste, however, is all grapefruit. I prefer a grapefruit taste to a pine taste, which is odd considering I like gin. It's a nice IPA, but the grapefruit taste is a little too much for my liking.

Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Just had some of this with my brother.

Pours with a frothy head, leaving minimal lace. The beer looks almost syrupy or viscous and it has very small bits of suspended sediment. Color is a cloudy amber.

The beer has a very nice hoppy aroma. A strong vein of pine and orange shines through.

This is undoubtedly an IPA. The hops offer a great floral bitterness with a smoother pine/orange finish. Carbonation is relatively mild and the beer has a medium-thin body. The aftertaste is an unmistakable bouquet of apricot-like hops. This is a satisfying execution, and it does the IPA style justice. I could easily go through three or four of these; although I do wish the hops had a *little* more bite (my brother and I prefer in-your-face liquid agression). But overall, the flavor profile is very, very well-balanced.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance- a nice golden hue, similar to a a light apple cider. mild sediment is visible. weak to moderate lacing properties.sustains the head for about 2 minutes.

Smell- dominant hoppy aroma overshadows the sweetness of the beer. the balance favors the hops.

Taste- bitter hoppy taste. mildy acid tasting in the mouth. good sustain on the aftertaste. aftertaste has a hint of pine flavor, probably from the dry hopping. The
composition of the taste really lets you appreciate the flavor of whatever hops are used to brew this beer.

Mouthfeel- not an agressive beer at all. goes down very smooth. good balance of smoothness with hoppy taste.

Drinkability- good drinkability. the final swig really brought out the true bitterness of this brew. overall, definitely a hop-biased beer but not over the top.
respectable balance. i appreciate this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Typical golden IPA color. Deep glowing awesomeness, excellent head with lacing included.

S: Excellent hop nose showcasing quite a large quantity of hops used in the brewing process. The smell is clean, citrusey, and pungent, as it should be.

T: This is at the top end of "IPA" and nearing the bottom end of "DIPA". Extremely strong, extremely delicious. I was floored by how the sweet, tangy, and bitter flavors mingled and separated in my mouth. This IPA is truly a cut above the rest. Oh, and the hops are insanely good, and there's loads of em.

M: Nearly perfect, low carbonation, extremely smooth and fresh.

D: I could drink this stuff all night. A fine brew.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

12oz bottle into glass

A- Pours a Cloudy golden orange with a slight yellow hue. Thinner white head on top that leaves a few blotches of lacing but nothing to crazy. A bit of sediment floats about in my glass but i'm not complaining haha Adds to the look and flavor IMO. That's how you know it's a good brew!

S- Floral hops up front with a slight citrus. Getting some fruits in the backround, possibly mango, pineapple, or some kind of orange or tangerine.

T- Delicious hops hit you first with a sweet citrus backround belended with possibly some tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, or tangerine. Can't quite put my finger on the flavor but man is it good.

M- Medium to light body that holds a slight bitter with every sip. After it goes down the carbonation hits your tounque and a bit of dryness comes out. But not to much

Overall this is a really great I.P.A. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Skål!

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

How have I not ever reviewed this beer? I think this beer began my true odyssey into IPAs back about 5 years ago. Once you taste a fabulous beer, your next adventure becomes finding out what is even better, sometimes forgetting the old friend that is your first. My road has come full circle. I've found many delicious IPAs, but I'll be damned if I can find one better than Smuttynose Finestkind IPA. Citrusy, chewy, and hoppy as all get out. Yet, that honeylike malt flavor is just amazing. And floaties? I love 'em. So consistent, and so easy to find fresh and cheap in central MA. I'm back in love....

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Served from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A cloudy unfiltered haze can be seen up close in its golden amber color under an inch of moderately dense head.

Initial smell and mouthfeel were loaded with citrus flavor and grapefruit bitterness in particular.

Very Hoppy. Great drinkability. Quite refreshing.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

12oz bottle, best by date June-10.

A- Pours a golden/honey color. Short white head, fades to patches and a ring. Lacing is pretty heavy. Lots of floaters.

S- Lemon-heads, pine, powdered sugar, citrus notes. I also smell a Belgian like yeast. For everything sour there is a sweet counter.. I cant believe this is an IPA.

T- Orange rind, pineapple, something almost minty/menthol. You can taste a nice yeasty, sourdough funk. The best IPA that Ive had.

M- Wet, medium body, carbonation is right on and dances on your tongue. Not to thin not to sticky. The beers bitterness does not effect its wonderful finish.

D- Its bitter but balanced. For me this is as close to perfect a beer can be.

F.T.- One of the best beers that Ive ever had, the best IPA. The yeast really took this to another level.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at Alibis in Carlisle, PA. Golden color, light carbonation. Some sticky lace left behind with each sip. This beer is hard to sip, though. Aroma is pungent, with grapefruit, pine, peaches and marihuana. Flavor is luscious sweetness spiked with bitterness and suffused with the same elements that are found in the aroma. Very drinkable. Tangy, lip-smacking finish. Like smoking marihuana while chewing peach-flavored bubblegum. A highly entertaining beer to drink. A veritable circus of flavor.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

I'm drinking my way slowly through a sixpack best before April 2010. I love having those happy plaid-shirted dudes on their lawnchairs laughing at me every time I open the fridge, and hope to keep at least a few fresh bottles in there at all times. One of my favorite IPAs for sure.
Before pouring bottle, make sure to gently stir up sediment so yeast and chunks of hops all get from bottle into a pint glass.
If you're lucky a bit of hop flower will show up in your dense lumpy head, where the gorgeous home-brew look of unfiltered hopped from head to toe IPA will reward a moment's appraisal.
Definitely worth sniffing for what beer should smell like: hops and yeast and alcohol so huge I don't feel malt but don't miss it either. Taste is a tangled complication of every kind of hop you'd want: bitter balancing floral, sweet and turpentiney piney too.
Mouthfeel like a bagful of fierce pussycats carefully holding their claws in paws: tickles hairy happy hop tingling yowl yummy. Fumes of hop aftertaste persist longer than glass can stay full. Makes me want a chart for my tongue: where are all these tastes fitting? How many flavors of bitter can you possibly taste?
I just love this brew. Fridge must always have it. If it were less expensive and brewed closer to home, I'd drink more of it more often.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company