Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

I had Smuttynose IPA with Thanksgiving dinner, at the in-laws in New Hampshire.

It poured dark straw with a large head. It left tons of lace on the glass. The color was a little too light; but otherwise, it was a great looking IPA.

The smell, taste, and feel were near-perfect for an IPA. It was crisp and citric, with an aggressive thick and bitter feel. It was perfect with a heavy meal and it was perfect after dinner. It would also be perfect on a hot summer day.

Other than the light color, Smuttynose IPA is as good an everyday IPA as I've had. Smuttynose nailed the style.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

I've had this beer in the bottle and now on tap. I remember really liking it in the bottle but on draft, I did not like it. I will re-review this beer once I have it in the bottle again (under a different review).

Served on draft. Beer is clear and orange. Thin white head leaves behind a lot of lacing, carbonation moderate.

Aroma smells like dried oranges. This is not the aroma I remember and it is not making me want to drink this beer.

Smooth, medium body, not detecting a lot of hops here unfortunately, again I'm not sure what's going on, this is not how I remember this beer being. Finishes with an odd bitterness, dark bitterness. Mouthfeel is good, drinkability is fine.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light, straw color... definitely a few shades lighter than most IPAs I've seen. I'm seeing a good amount of sediment floating around in there also because of the fact that it isn't filtered. Its slightly hazy as well. The head formation is fairly thin but it sticks around for what seems like forever and leaves behind an incredible amount of lacing. This is probably the best looking IPA I've seen.

As for the aroma, I'm mostly getting the aroma of the malts. There's a little nuttiness in there also. There's a good amount of hops at the end of the smell also. It smells great but so far I'm not expecting a hop bomb.

Drinking it, it feels a bit thick at first as it tastes very lightly carbonated. The taste is a good deal different than the aroma; this one is all hops all the time. The hoppiness is, however, unusually complex to me. At first, it tastes a bit citrusy before going into a sweet hop taste and it finishes tasting of pine. I'm not tasting the alcohol at all. The bitterness is well balanced in this one.

Drinkability wise, this one goes down smoothly and is pretty easy to drink. The alcohol isn't so much that its not a good session beer. I could see drinking more than one of these per sitting.

Overall, this is probably my favorite American IPA. I think its high rating on BA is well deserved and the brewers should be proud of this one. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Had this at 6 and save in New Kensington.

Served into a pilsner glass. Nice half inch creamy white head with perfect lacing. Color was a little lighter than expected.

Smell was very nice floral bitter hops. Sweet malt peaking through a little but definately dominated by hops.

Taste was amazing. Everything you could ask for in an IPA in my opinion. Super hoppy. Would be overwhelming to a non-IPA drinker. Bitterness was strong but in a very good way. The malt is present but this beer just slaps you in the face with hops hops hops. I love the taste of this one.

This beer is very drinkable. As hoppy and bitter as it is, I can drink a few of these with no problem. Above average alcohol but lower than some IPAs make it easy to put down 3-4 of these. Definately one of my favorites at 6 and save. Hope they keep it around for a while!

4.1/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip

A - nearly three fingers of big bubbly slightly off-white foam. clings and sticks. nice classic gold color with some sediment floating around.

S - loads of citrus, slight piney twang, just barely getting a whiff of some underlying sweetness...also a tad soapy.

T - again with the citrus - mostly slightly subdued grapefruit. pretty good floral notes set in after the initial onslaught. only a very faint malt backbone, which doesnt distract (thankfully) from the hop profiles. very unique and pleasant for an East Coast IPA.

M - sharp and crisp. bitter aftertaste sticks around for a good bit.

D - no problems working on this. delicious and a bit different than most IPA's available here. will go back to this for more.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Got four 12oz bottles, and just poured the third. Looks very nice with all those floaties fishing around in a amber orange colour. But I am starting to suspect I have an older batch. This really lacks the flavour I was looking forward to. Its decent, but nothing is standing out with it. Easy to drink and the abv% is well hidden. But theres no personality to this for me. Tastes more like a pilsner or pale ale. Disappointed for the most part.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Received this in a trade with Samichlaus. Thanks, Tom. Bottle says "Best before 1/2010."

A: Orangey copper in color. A thin film of head forms as only a couple bubbles rise through the beer towards the surface. I see a couple of floaties suspended in there...interesting, I'm not used to seeing these in IPAs. Despite the seemingly non-existant carbonation, this beer does produce a nice delicate lace from beginning to end.

S: Hints of hoppy bitterness, but the hop character is the more notable component of this semll. Piney and earthy-smelling hops come through nicely. There is also an evident component of caramel pushing through from the malt backbone.

T: Clean crisp taste full of a nice piney hoppy bitterness. There is a sweet caramel note in the finish, as the malts shrink in influence from the aroma. The finish brings back a nice piney aftertaste. The taste is a nice improvement upon the smell.

M/D: A medium textured beer that is maybe a touch on the heavier side for an IPA. The tingly bitterness is crisp and smooth, and despite the lack of head or streams of carbonation, this beer had plenty of carbonation, which added nicely to the body. The bitterness does not overwhelm the flavor and character of the hops. I wish I had more to drink right now.

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint

A- Pours a slightly hazy dark golden color with about a fingers worth of head. The head is an off white color that recedes pretty quick and leaves minimal lacing on the side of the glass.
S- The smell of this beer is mainly of hops and a little bit of malt. Also there is a bit of that piney goodness that we come to look for in an IPA.
T- This is definitely an East Coast IPA. The hops are balanced pretty well with the malt and the effect is not too bitter. There is a piney taste at the back of the mouth. Maybe even a little bit of lemon lingering in there.
M- A medium to lighter bodied beer. I would have liked this to be a little heavier but decent nonetheless. The carbonation seems barely present and the bitterness isn't that bad.
D- I don't mind this beer but I guess I would have liked a little more of a hop profile but then again it's and EC IPA. Again not too bad but there are others I would reach for before this one. Glad I tried it though.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Smutty nose Finest Kind IPA is a very good beer. I have been drinking a lot of IPA's recently, and this is one of my favorites. Very strong hop presence!!! Almost overpowering for my personal taste, but still very palatable. In comparison to IPA's from Stone, Lagunitas, Anderson Valley, and some west coast IPA's I've tried, Smuttynose packs more punch. Again, very hoppy. Nice beer!!!
Will drink again.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Roanoke College branded pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy straw color with hints of amber. Medium sized white head that stays for a while and leaves substantial lacing. Sediment can be seen floating around in the beer.

Smell: Nuts and earthy hops along with flowery notes. All hops.

Taste: Begins bready, finishing with strong bitterness and notes of nut.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and chewy body, with natural carbonation and a very dry finish.

Drinkability: A strong IPA, perfect for hopheads (of which I, admittedly, am not). Drinkable, but not in large quantities. Still, I like it and recommend it.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with a thick foamy head. The head dissipates slowly leaving decent lacing.

Smell: Has a nice grassy hop smell to it. The hops are backed by a lemony-citrus smell as well.

Taste: Wow. This is how an IPA should taste. Has a strong, but not too strong, hoppy bitterness that leaves a kind of piney, resiny taste in the back of your mouth. Great stuff...

Mouthfeel: Really smooth. The bitterness makes it hard to drink fast but this is a beer to be savored anyway.

Drinkability: I'm really impressed with this one. Probably the best IPA I've had so far. As hoppy as you could ask for with nice fruit and pine characteristics as well. Hunt this beer out and try it!

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz. Bottle with a best by date of 03/10.

Pours a hazy glowing tangerine peach color with a beautiful white cap. Rich and creamy with a decent amount of lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, and more grapefruit. A touch of spice but mostly citrus in the form of white grapefruit.

Taste is wonderfully delicious. Lots of grapefruit bitterness and spice. Pine and some floral as well. The hops smack you in the face. Definitely dominated by the hops but pretty balanced as well.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. Perfect carbonation and smooth and easy to drink.

Overall this would be my perfect IPA. Hoppy and delicious. Tremendously easy to drink. I'm in love with IPA from Smuttynose. This has everything I could want in a beer.
Two thumbs up to Smuttynose for creating this masterpiece.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a golden golden orange color with a 2-finger head. Very full lacing (almost entire surface covered.)

S- Hop notes are on the citrusy side; grapefruit specifically is there but on the mild side. I don't get much of the bitterness of the hops. It seems like a muted version of a hop profile along the lines of a Two Hearted or something in the realm. Definitely a good aroma, but not enough of it.

T- Flavor mirrors the smell. The grapefruit and citrus hops are there, but barely so. The full flavor I had hoped for is not present. There is more bitterness than I expected on the back of the palate. Bottle says best before March or April 2010 (I think, but it is an extremely poor and indecipherable "notch" system that makes accuracy an impossibility) so it shouldn't have faded so much already. Malt backbone is also there, but doesn't give me much, slightly buttery.

M- Good amount of carbonation and hop oils in good balance.

D- Easy to drink, but not necessarily the most desirable to drink because the flavor is on the weak side. Bitterness sort of lingers for no reason, not too bitter, just pointless.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a cloudy orange/golden color with a 2 fingers of head. Great head retention, nice laceing on the glass all the way down.

Crisp piney smell with some citrus.

Get the piney notes first then some citrus on the back. Very nice and crisp.

Taste lingers on the back of your tounge for a few. Highly enjoyable very well balanced. Really wish I had bought more.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured out of a bottle into my Cally's pint glass, appearance is a cloudy orange amber color with a half inch head. The smell is piney and very citrusy with strong hints of grapefruit. The dominant flavors here are a strong dose of hops with some citrusy flavors, but it's not too extreme, and is well balanced with a little bit of malt. Mouthfeel is fairly light with a moderate amount of carbonation, and a nice creamy texture. I've had some good IPAs but this is definitely one of the best because there's plenty of hoppiness here (which I love) but it's very well balanced.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Cloudy honey color. Thick head that dissipates fast. Leaves a nice lacing though
S - Nice subtle hop aroma. Slight spice smell but this is most likely from the hops
T - WOW. Not what I was expecting. This is not overly hoppy. It is most of the most balances IPA I have ever tried. First taste is of a grainy malt flavor. Then quickly comes in the hops. The have a first intial bitter bite but that goes away quickly and you can taste the flavor. The hops are kind of a spicy/citrus blend. There is almost a taste of what I think might be saaz hops but other wise it tastes really good.
M - medium to medium low carbonation
D - decently drinkable

2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured into a pint glass. The appearance is a hazy dark golden color with about a finger and a half of head. It has some nice lacing. There is a strong grapefruit and pine aroma. On first sip you get hit with a strong citrus hop attack. For some reason I am not a big fan. From the aroma to the taste, there is just something that doesn't sit well with me. It leaves an unpleasant bitter aftertaste. I tried this several months back and wasn't impressed and decided to give it another try and the results are the same. I love IPAs and hops galore. My only guess is that the bitter citrus flavor is what threw this beer off for me.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Served on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, Maryland (10/29/09). Served in a pint glass at an appropriate temperature.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden shade with a orange hue with a one finger of a foamy slightly off-white head. The head stuck around for a while and left great lacing until the end.

Smell: A piney and hoppy scent with a deep citrus and floral bouquet. Malt hints through, but is clearly overpowered by the hops.

Taste: Similar to the smell in the sense that a delicious piney hop meets the palate first with an array of citrus and floral flavors. A bready malt is apparent as well and balances the flavor out so as not to create and overly harsh and bitter taste. A very well balanced American IPA.

Mouthfeel: Seems rather standard for a high quality American IPA with a slippery hop characteristic with a medium body.

Drinkabilty: Extremely drinkable as this beer seems to maintain a delicate balance of being quite hoppy yet never harsh.

Overall I find this to be one of the best east coast examples of the American IPA that I have tried. Highly recommended.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

A: Murky amber color. Quite a bit of yeast floating around in the glass even after a careful pour. A half finger of white head with some nice lacing.

S: Hop bitterness right up front. Not much else after that really. The smell is off for an IPA as the hops never really take center stage. Could be an older bottle. Nose is quite tight especially for an IPA.

T: Much better than the nose. This is a solid IPA. Malt is there nice hop bitterness. Nothing really pops out at you hop wise. You get neither the east coast or west coast flavor. You know this is an IPA for sure though.

M: Right where it should be. Easy drinking.

D: This was a great IPA 10 years ago not it is almost a session beer and there is nothing wrong with that. Well balanced and drinkable IPA. Great buy for the price as well.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Pours a beautiful golden-orange color. A little more than a finger of foamy head and lots of sticky lacing.

S: Hops are most apparent, but do not overpower the nose. I also get some nice subtle hints of citrus, pine, and malt. A bit of floral fragrance as well I think.

T: Lots of great flavors here. Hints of bread, grain, malt, citrus, and grapefruit up front give way to an aggressive hops finish. It's not overly bitter, but it definitely leaves your tongue tingling. IPA's aren't my favorite, but this one is quite tasty. I just wish the hops aftertaste didn't stay on my tongue for quite so long, but this is the style!

M: Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation that helps to balance out the complex flavors.

D: A well balanced and very complex IPA. Anyone that loves IPAs would probably have no problem drinking this all day. It does have the typical pallet ruining hops aftertaste, however, so I would probably stick to just one of these at a sitting. Overall a very strong example of the style.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

This is my second experience with Smuttynose IPA. Pours an orange-ish honey-esque color with an average size white head with some good retention. The carbonation and condensation help to increase the deliciousity of this beers appearance. The nose is filled with citrus and piney scents with a nice bready fullness. The taste follows suit with a hint of malty resolve and a nice hoppy finish. The mouthfeel is crisp and appeasing while remaining light enough to keep you thirsty. The carbonation is well balanced just like the flavors. That is not to say that this isn't one of the more bitter IPA's readily available. If you've got a hop grudge then this may not be for you. But if you enjoy hops, or are looking to broaden your horizons this beer will help guide you.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Fresh 12oz bottle. Pours cloudy gold with a medium white head that disappears rather quickly. Fairly hoppy smell, with a good amount of grapefruit. Definite amber malt. Hops initially in the taste, again with a lot of bitter fruitiness. Full, sweet malt in the background. Dry finish. Medium body. Very pleasant IPA overall--surprisingly well-balanced.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a shaped pint.

Pours a nice golden color with some sediment dancing around in there. Nice creamy white head that leaves some lacing on the glass as it dissipates. Very lively carbonation running up the glass as well.

There's a lot of citrus and floral hops in the nose. A little breadiness is present as well, but mostly hoppy.

The taste is much the same as the nose. Some delicious piney hops up front with a lot of citrus hitting your lips as well. Followed up by a little bit of bready malt, but more hops in the finish.

I like the way this beer is put together, it's got a light body with a lot of flavor and a decent amount of carbonation that mask the relatively high ABV of this beer.

This is a pretty tasty beer, definitely one of the hoppier IPAs I've had, but it's still pretty easy to drink. Although not terribly complex, it's an easy drinker for me.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured a golden color with a thick creamy tightly bubbled white heading.Very thick ring's left around the glass for the tasting.

Smell first whiff is insanely hoppy followed by a tropical fruit aroma.Subtle crisp toasted malt pulls through somewhere in the middle.

Taste is all hop equivalent to putting a bunch of hops into a juicenator and drinking it.Slightest bit of malt sticks it's head out and then is immediatly smashed like a whack a mole game by the ridiculous bitterness in this beer.

Mouth is crazy smooth and bubbley. Heavily carbonated and a heavy floral taste is left in the mouth.

Drinkability is amazing for a hop head. Some may find this to be heaven some hell. I love the taste of this beer but it destroys my stomach.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours an orangey-gold with roughly one finger of fluffy white head that demonstrates solid retention, leaving behind generous lacing as it recedes.

Smell is mostly grapefruit and citrus notes, a mild biscuit malt is also detectable.

Aggressive citrus hops dominate upfront, with some floral notes as well. The biscuit malt makes its presence known somewhat midway, but is far less assertive.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and mildly crisp.

A very drinkable IPA, great for pairing with spicier foods or just as a solid standby IPA. Definitely worth returning to.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company