Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Presentation: It was poured from the tap and served in a pint glass at the Pizza Plant on Transit Rd. Williamsville, NY.

Appearance: It has a rich golden colored body with a slight haze. On top there is an off white or egg shell colored head that stands up tall and hangs on well. As I drink it makes perfect clingy lace rings on the pint glass.

Smell: Deep citrusy hop notes just fill my nose with some floral pine sneaking in there as well.

Taste/Palate: It has a firm hop character right up front which is backed up by a nice pale malt base. The pale malt gives a good balance with out too much sweetness. This lets the hops come out and shine with loads of delicious citrusy grapefruit and mild pine like flavor notes. The hop bitterness coats the palate and slowly fades off the tongue long into the finish. It has a good medium to full body with a spot on level of carbonation.

Notes: Outstanding!!! This is a great example of a West Coast IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A:Beautiful glowing orange, cloudy, unfiltered goodness!
S: Delcious citrus fruit with some pine/herbal character
T: Great hop complexity, not terribly balanced, but my toungue loves the extreme lingering bitterness. Its a great bitterness and hangs around until the next sip!
M: Creamy cask-like medium-bodied. I gave it a 4.5 b/c its a bit more acidic than I would prefer.
D: Given that it is somewhat unbalanced, it is surprisingly drinkable, however I wouldn't make a session out them.
Overall: My favorite everyday IPA. I can always get this at Total Wine & More, and it has become my favorite single ipa.

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%

For starters, it's quite a pretty beer. Opaque, orange, nearly golden hue with more of a hefeweizen quality than I expect from a typical IPA. I don't get much from the nose, but then again, I'm pretty hit or miss with smells given my unusually small nostrils (seriously). The taste, however, is spectacular. A case study in hops. Little sweetness to counter, but the brassy bitters don't overwhelm and the finish is long and welcomed. I'm not at all surprised at the 6.9% but I feel like I could enjoy at least another 2 without a challenge. Way to go smuttynose! I gotta figure out what's the deal with this name before my next 6-pack.

A: Classic burnt amber. Substantial hazing. Big two finger white head. Nice bold appearance. Excellent lacing.

N: Piney, Grapefruit. Not ridiculous, but more complex than initially seems apparent, some citrus and tropical notes as well

T: Hops, dirty grapefruit with a strong bitterness. Interesting bite at the end, bitterness sticks with you. This is pretty unique. Me likey!

D: Pretty good, this may become another go to, as Smuttynose actually uses freshness dates (novel!), though not as good as bottled-on, at least I have a ball park figure on freshness.

Freshness Date: Good until Feb. 2011.
Drank On: 09-12-10

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a nonik pint glass. best before november 2010, from a variety 12 that was packaged in may of 2010.

pours a deep golden color with some slight orange showing. big 2 fingers of white head, great retention, lots and lots of sticky lace. very cloudy with lots of sediment.

loving the aroma, pungent, fresh, smelling hops. smells similar to hops before there tossed in to the brew kettle. lots of pine, some grapefruit citrus, slight vegetable character to it. hardly any malt detectable.

crisp, sharp bitterness throughout the sip. great fresh hop flavors going on. lots of pine, lots of grapefruit citrus, a little perfumy tasting. again has a little bit of that pre brew hop flavor. slight bit of pale malt, hardly noticable, very hop forward.

of course, hops are wrecking the palate, but im loving every minute of it. resinous, oily hop mouth, lots of lingering bitterness. medium bodied, good carb.

this drink very good, even with the agressive hops. a great ipa, thats all that needs to be said. buy this!

FYI i had this out of the bottle, wasnt too impressed, poured into a glass its excellant, realeases lots of great hoppy aromas.

3.84/5  rDev -6.3%

A good IPA that provide a strong whiff of hops that remains through a dry finish. The beer pours a surprising orange hue, but packs the full hoppy flavor of a much darker beer. The beer has a full body and feels smooth before finishing with a pleasant earthy dry hop finish. Not overbearing, but jut enough to produce an above average but fairly easy drinking IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

First.Review.Ever.

Well, I drink lots of craft and read lots of BA reviews... TFK has inspired me to post my first review.

This beer, from a 12oz bottle, appears golden and has sediment in it. Minimal head and lacing upon pouring it into my Ommegang tulip. Aroma is yeasty, faint citrus. But the taste - wow. It's concentrated like a laser. A hoppy bite upon first sip that smooths out, hints of citrus and a return upon the finish. Some maltiness.
The finish lasts long after. Beautiful and balanced. Mouthful is light and carbonated. Very sessionable. A fine, fine IPA.

2.6/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy dark gold color with a white one finger head with nice retention. There are a lot of yeast particles floating in the beer, not very appealing.

The aroma has grapefruit peeling, pine, and grassy hops. The taste is just like the aroma, with grapefruit peeling, pine and grassy hops. There is a good amount of hop bitterness. Not very balanced. Not my favorite IPA.

Medium bodied, decent carbonation, and it finishes dry. Meh, not a big fan of this one.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Got this bottle as an extra through a trade with TheSevenDuffs. Very nice choice.

A- A hazy gold with a finger of foam. The foam recedes with some very nice lacing.

S- The moment I smelled this beer, I was intrigued. Hops come through with a pine smell. Then there is a really earthy natural smell that I can't even identify. I might as well not pretend. But I like it.

T- Very cool taste. I taste pine and grapefruit. But then I taste...grass? Its that earthy element that I can't identify. I don't know what it is, but I like it.

M- Medium bodied and goes down smooth. If it wasn't for the taste that I am scraping to identify, it would go down fast.

D- This beer is really good. Very drinkable. I enjoyed it.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Given as an extra by BigBalls - what a nice guy!

Appearance -- Pours a bright and cupric orange with one finger of sudsy white head.

Smell -- Pine, grapefruit, and bitter vegetation. Dry bready malt reminiscent of sourdough. I can already tell this will be a bitter beast.

Taste -- Quite bitter, indeed! Grapefruit rind, dry grass, pine sap, bitter herbs, and dry malt. Finish is bready grain and punishing hops.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with hard prickling carbonation. A few swirls in the glass puts this in check. Finish is pretty clean and dry.

Drinkability -- This matches my expectation of an NE IPA to a tee: dry, quenching, with deep hop bitterness. Hope this stuff gets around to my neck of the woods soon!

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

Bought a sixer of this for $8.99 +tax. Poured into a pint glass.

A: beautiful amber/orange color with a creamy 1 finger head. Very pretty beer.

S: Hops and citrus rind dominate. Some pine scents come through as well.

T: Great hop taste upfront. Following the scent some bitter fruity tastes through the middle. Pretty intense overall. Love it.

M: Feels substantial but has a great smoothness to it. Some carbonation not overpowering.

D: I drank 3 but I probably could have stopped at 2 and been totally satisfied. Good for a strong IPA.

Love this brew. That's all there is to it.

3.47/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An IPA which is certainly fine in its own regard but which when compared with the vast array of other IPAs out there is better than average but not a show stealer in my opinion. Pours a hazy tan with not alot of head in my sample. Typical hoppy aroma and flavor but I've had crisper IPAs.

A giant leap up from mass produced beers, just not the "finest kind" of IPA in my opinion.

4.73/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance: bright yet cloudy gold color ( sounds like an oxymoron I know) rich appealing look.

Smell: lovely strong hop aroma burn the eyes a little: exciting bouquet

Taste: Incredibly delicious juicy grapefruit luxurious hoppyness throughout just enough sweetness breaking though: not too much as that would certainly not be kosher or worthy of a 5 in exceptional taste. This exquisite taste lingers a very long time warming and satisfying. Have I found the perfect beer?

Mouthfeel: light and enjoyable

Drinkability is very high.

This is a phenomenal beer seek it out. you don't have to be a hop head to enjoy it. There is a mellowness to it.

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"
Smuttynose Brewing Co.
American IPA
ABV?
OG?
IBUs?
12 oz bottle with a best before date of January 2011 poured into a Bell's tulip.

Apperance 4.5/5
Bright orange-yellow, moderately clear, with a white head that receded to a rather thin one with excellent lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Faintly grassy, resiny, earthy hops. Strangely, I detect some pils like aroma! Shouldn't be earthy or pils like, but there is an European angle here in my opinion.

Taste 4.0/5
Very faint, below usual, touch of sweetness to begin, some citrus, assertively bitter taste & after taste. Certainly hop forward. Bitterness bomb, actually. Not bitter in a bad way but bitter, and trust me, I've had my share of bitter (Devil Dancer etc.).

Mouthfeel 4.0/5
Well carbonated, with some maltiness, so I'll call it medium and balanced.

Drinkability 5/5
Very high.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: I enjoyed this hazy, golden orange white topped IPA in my Duvel tulip glass. A nice thick head sat up top, and lasted the whole way down, leaving big sticky lacing.

Smell: This beer is potent, and you know that as soon as you open it. Full of citrus - grapefruit - and pine with a bit of spice and some nice malt.

Taste: Full flavored; starts off with strong bitter hops, moving to more pine and grapefruit, finishing with a tasty malt ending. Warming up, this beer gets even more complex, giving some esters of alcohol and more spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with lively carbonation.

Drinkability/Palitability: High. That 6 pack did not last long.

Notes: An amazing example of an American IPA. Big hops, with a solid backing. Great job.

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip, courtesy of korguy123 via LIF. BBD of about a couple months from now. Cheers man.

Pours a golden orange, with a finger and a half of bright white head, quickly diminishing to a soapy collar and leaving sheets of chunky lacing. Hazy body and I can see some sediment floating around in here, carbonation just streaming off the bottom of this one. Aroma is exceptionally pronounced here (might be a function of the bottling date), but I can dig out some peach and grapefruit amongst other fruits, and a bit of lemon in here? Taste ascertains my lemon rind inclinations, with some upfront bitterness and a thinner malt base than I would've liked. The other fruits play more minor roles here (grapefruit and some pineapple), but are still present. Taste greatly improves as it warms, really starting to like this. Good and fairly smooth mouthfeel, with medium-high carbonation and good drinkability, especially given that it's my day off and it's a beautiful day outside.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A-cloudy copper with a large fluffy foam head that really sticks around.
S-Like eating a grapefruit sitting in a pine tree while somebody roasts a pineapple.
T-I am not a hop head, some beers over do with the hops andreally don't mesh the flavor into a brew I would like to drink, this beer does. It has a nice bitter front with a grapefruite/pineapple middle and a dry finish.
M-Nice and slick felt like what an ale should feel like
D- smooth, easy, and refreshing would be nice around a campfire or on a summerday

3.71/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Thick, billowing head; dark yellowish brown hue with great retention; lacing is intricate--lovely looking beer

S: Citrus and tea leaves and a slightly sour graininess; a little bit of funky skunkiness comes up even though this hasn't been sitting on the shelves long

T: Nice hop bitterness but a touch of skunk peaks through--I hope this bottle wasn't light contaminated somehow--there is a earthy grainy quality that is pleasant on top of the citrus from the hops

F: Good even mouth coat

D: The touch of skunk became a bit wearing; but I liked the balance of a graininess and maltiness; good beer all in all

3.72/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass. Golden orange colored with perfect head. Thick & meringue-like, leaving very nice lacing behind. Slightly hazy, but overall, a good looking beer.

Aroma was a bit of a letdown. This beer was dated "Best by Nov 2010". I don't know when that means it was bottled, but it doesn't seem like it would be too old with that date. However, the aroma was just so flat & bland. I had a NG Moon Man afterwards & it popped aroma-wise, so it wasn't me having an off aroma day -- it was just not IPA like. No citrus character. Maybe just a smidge of pine aroma, bit of malt -- that's it.

On the other hand, I liked the taste of this beer pretty well. Nice malt character, bit of sweetness and great killer bitterness -- intense but not a harsh bitterness -- very nice. Some reasonable hop flavor elements too with a little pine, bit of grapefruit in flavor. So much better than I was expecting from the aroma.

Mouthfeel was nice. Came across as malty but light-bodied simultaneously -- just what I like in an IPA. Overall, this is a hard beer to judge because of the aroma weakness. But the flavor is certainly more important to the drinkability & I enjoyed this beer pretty well.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this one just a few minutes ago, and I have to say I'm was VERY Impressed.

Appearance: Hazy orange in color with a thick bubbly off white eggshell head. GORGEOUS Presentation especially in a decorated glass german stein.

Smell: Grapefruit and Hopcones with pines, accompanied by very slight aromas of a loaf of challah. Quite nice overall.

Taste: RIDDLED with Grapefruit and accompanied by grassy hops and pines. If there is any pale malt I can't really distinguish it. Good flavor overall.

Mouthfeel: Smooth in texture with a watery complexion feels and works well with the rest of the beer.

Drinkability: This beer encompasses so much with so little effort: its Sharp, Crisp, Powerful, Mild, and Smooth all in one. Its Excellent overall and I could Easily drink several on a hot summers day.

I also feel that it is necessary for me to mention that American IPA's are undoubtedly my least favorite style of beer and I'd go as far as to say that I DETEST them. So to say that I think this one is exceptional and that I really like it means that it stands out as an exceptional beer among a style that I have no other interest in. Truly an excellent beer.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Best before Jan 2011 date on bottle.

A - Somewhat cloudy orange with some darker golden hues. After pouring, a head about one finger high bubbles up and retains nicely, along with plenty of lacing around the glass.

S - Fresh, clear hops along with some oily citrus. Not overpowering but pretty nice.

T - Crisp, clean hop profile with plenty of pine, grapefruit and other associated fruits. There's a boatload of juicy bitterness, with a slight touch of malt sweetness. The dry, tingly finish lingers for a while, as the hops continue to stick to your palate.

M - Sticky, dry, and bitterness all apply themselves to your tongue and hold fast.

D - This IPA is just so delicious it's tough not to plow through these too quickly. The alcohol is masked well and the hops are flavorful throughout the entire serving.

Forget whatever $13 six pack you're about to buy and pick this up instead. Smuttynose IPA is a huge bang for your buck beer that's easily a fridge staple.

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

I had this beer a while ago and liked it. On a whim I bought a case and have been very pleased with this IPA

A: I am a home brewer and I like cloudy or dirty looking brews. Smuttynose must not filter this beer which is a big plus. Every pour of this beer is a murky light amber with a bold white fluffy head. AS the beer settles there is a strong hop haze and plenty of lacing.

S: Finast Kind smells like sweet citrus hops, there is a hop bloom on opening the bottle which is again a big plus for an IPA.

T: I love the intense grapefruit flavor of this beer which ends with a touch of sweet hop character. The hops stick to my lips another quality I expect in a great IPA.

M: This IPA is not thin, the hop oils last after every drink sticking to the roof of my mouth....awesome.

D: Excellent, is now one of my go to beers for a daily drinker.

I also have to add that this IPA is 31.99 on avg here in central pa which is on the cheaper side. I love this dirty IPA and I love that Smuttynose keeps the price points affordable for people like me!!

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

A-pours a golden hazy honey with some sediment flying around, white thick frothy head with some lacing.
S- Muted grapefruit notes malts do make an appearance
T- Nice bitter grapefruit and citrus hop taste with a bready malty taste and feel
M- Definitely one of the more stronger points of this beer. Somewhat chewy thick and carbonation done well.
D- can go through plenty of these
A very solid above average IPA pick one up if you see one although i wouldnt go out of my way to find it.

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Served chilled from 12oz bottle, about 40 degrees. Nice honey color with thin lacing. Starts off with strong taste and smell of hops but has a very drinkable appeal and not overpowering. I'm not a big fan of IPA's but I definitely recommend this to first time tryers.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz bottle poured into a long trail Vermont pint glass.

Pours a a hazy orange color with a small what head with some light white lacing. Nose quite fruity and sweet, like a tamer big a ipa.

Taste is really well balanced, quite hoppy bit ts got a great malty backbone. The bitterness becomes a bit abrasive. Mouthfeel is sharp and crisp.

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company