Follow our progress ...

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" | Smuttynose Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

Reviews: 1,812 | Ratings: 5,147
4.41/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Agreed with other commenters in that it's a nice balance between hops and flavor. Plus it's pretty accessible across the US at a fair price. Will definitely be searching this out again.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Absolutely one of my favorite, go-to IPA's. Lovely, radiant cloudy amber color. Full nose--fruity, citrus, sharp tang. Taste is complex with lots of grapefruit, pine resin, hint of fruity sweetness, lingering just-right bitterness. Really nicely balanced--not a hop bomb in your mouth because there's a perfect malt offset to the pine/grapefruit. Coats the tongue in a very agreeable way--love the mouth feel. A bit of resin is left to savor. Overall, one of the best American IPA's I've found anywhere. Sure, there are a number of strong contenders for that distinction and it's likely I'll eventually find something that makes my head spin and leads me to forget Finest Kind, but it hasn't happened yet.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The smell is malty with some honey sweet piney hops. The taste is nicely balanced and wonderfully drinkable. Slightly sweet and bready With a lingering bitter aftertaste. I get the familiar flavor of centennial hops and it reminds me a bit of Founders Centennial. One of my favorite IPAs. yb

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle dated 1/16/16 (bottled on 7/16/15) into tulip.

L - burnt orange, decent head, good lacing, unfiltered

S - Oh mama. Grapefruit, Grapefruit, Mango, and Grapefruit

T - starts off as grapefruit and mango. Then you get a hint of dankiness, tobacco and pine. The perfect mix of fruit and dank. with a slight malt backbone.

F - wow again. great carbonation with a medium feel.

O - world class indeed. not a fruit bomb. Not a bitter assault on your palette. But retains the favorable characteristics of each of those classes.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just tried this from a can for the first time and it might be better than from a bottle. I'm glad this received World Class ranking. Definition of an IPA.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

This one didn't do much for me. Its an above average IPA, but nothing that I would consider as a "go to". Malt forward as I recall without much on the nose.

4.13/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The label photo is outstanding! Pours amber tone, average foamy head. Has a definite citrus aroma, medium density in your mouth. Clear hops presence, expected for an IPA. Finishes crisp and balanced. I want another!

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Look: cloudy amber - early head, dissipates fast. decent lace.

Smell: citrusy

Taste: sharp, piney, woody, citrusy. Feels very clean.

Mouth feel: harder. Not as soft as 90 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours into a pint glass a nice bronze color head faded and left a little lacing. You can taste the IBU but not on the heavy side even at 75. The hops blend well and it is a very nice drinkable IPA well done.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I love the label by the way. Anyways, this beer was what I call a reverse IPA. By that I mean that most beers use bittering hops usually in the beginning minutes of a boil then follow by their aroma hops towards the end, with a wide range of dry hopping hops. This one tasted like they used aromatic hops where the bitters usually go then vise versa. I probably said hops twenty times, I apologize lol. It's a cool take, a beer I'd definitely drink again but wouldn't be in my top tier beers.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was a very nicely crafted IPA with a pretty drinkable profile. Malty and floral with a crisp bitter finish. Body was light to medium light. It is a shame this isn't more readily available near me. If it were, and in cans, I could see making this one a regular go to.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

4.96/5  rDev +21.3%

This is about as well-balanced as IPA's can get. True to its advertising, it is crisp and drinkable yet a truly hoppy IPA. World class indeed. I will be interested to try other beers from this brand.

4.19/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an under appreciated IPA. Exceptional balance, wonderful citrus aromas of mango, melon, and peach, no alcohol present despite 6.9% ABV and easy drinking in terms of body and carbonation. Has a really pleasant candied citrus/orange note on the inhale, almost jammy. Fits the east coast IPA ideal to a T. If there was one thing I'd want dialed back just a tad, it's the simcoe due to the ever so slight ammonia like odor. Thankfully the citrus mostly covers that up.

4.76/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle; no date.

A: Poured a 1/2 finger head with minimal much lacing; didn't fall off quickly. Dark amber with a haze..

S: Nice malt and citrus striking the nose quickly..

T:This is a very nice APA. Strong citrus with lingering hops.

M: Nice carbonation; great mouthfeel.

Overall: a great refreshing APA.

New Pour:
Head was about 1" with nice lacing after 1 min. Cleaner glass this time?
Stronger grapefruit aroma this time.
Still love it!

3.49/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not as impressed as I thought I would be. After trying the rhino rye ipa I had high hopes for this beer. It's good just not as hoppy and crisp as I like

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

Dank and hoppy smell precedes the golden pour. Tastes like a classic northeast IPA - albeit one that's very well done - with a sweet malt backbone that balances out the citrus flavor and slightly bitter aftertaste. The dank aroma sticks with the beer throughout and is very enjoyable. Not too sweet, not too sticky - great beer.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

Bought a single bottle from Beers of the World on 8/1/15 from Beers of the World. Served cold in a Duvel tulip. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.Hazy apricot. White head that dissolves into thin film. Aroma is pine and candied citrus. Flavor is bready with some orange marmelade tang and a kiss of pine. Mouthfeel is good. This is a superb IPA.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Very solid IPA that I would happily seek out a second time. A mind bender? Wake the kids and phone the neighbors? No. But very good.

On a second tasting (in March of 2016) I give this much higher acclaim and have adjusted my scoring accordingly. Must've been in a surely mood at my last review.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle, best by 12/8/15. Bottle date is 6 months prior, from what I've read. So this is about 6 weeks old.

Cloudy, burnt orange body with some haze. Delicious hop aromas. This one's right up my alley. Tons of juicy hop character, a decent amount of bitterness but not abrasive. Dry. $8.99/sixer, damn good price. I haven't had this beer in years, but I think it's time to bring it back into the rotation.

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Golden orange hue.

Smell - Pine and citrus.

Taste - Malt and pine.

Mouthfeel - Medium attenuation.

Overall - Decent IPA.

Grade (B)

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

Look - Yellowish color, fairly clear
Smell - Citrus, sweet orange, floral, pine
Taste - Grapefruit, pine, pithy, floral, sweet malts

Overall - A quality shelf IPA.

3.91/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy and translucent golden amber brew. Good head size and retention; snow white, leaving behind lovely lacing.

Strong, juicy hop aroma that I can smell from a distance. At first I got ruby red grapefruit, but up close, it becomes more tropical, with huge dank notes starting to dominate. I wouldn't have pegged Amarillo specifically (as opposed to, say, Citra), but its presence is definitely the dominant factor in the aroma. Slightly sweet pale malt backbone.

Flavor follows, with quite a bit more grainy malt on the palate, especially up front, than you would guess based on the aroma. There's a slightly tart juiciness on the tip of the tongue, and the back half is all dank hops: earthy and herbal, with a hint of pineapple. Citrus peel on the long aftertaste.

Lively, bitter, with an effervescent finish.

Despite the significant hop presence, especially on the aroma, I can't help but think that this brew is a little stale in the way the malts are represented on the palate.

Edit: had it on draft recently, and I had the same impression of staleness. I chose to give up on it after three sips and got a beer I knew I'd enjoy more. It's possible it was an old keg, and it's possible that it's related to the dank hop profile. Nonetheless, despite the sky-high ratings for this brew, I've now had two experiences with it where it showed promise, but ultimately came across as stale and unpleasant.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beer smells very enticing with citrus, pine, and floral. I was surprised by the floral smell so I kept smelling it and it was definitely there. The taste had a quick bite of clean citrus and pine bitterness which was great but the big let down was that the beer just lingers. I was waiting for a satisfying finish but it just wasn't happening. By the end of the beer I felt one was enough. Maybe I'll try it again in a couple months. Maybe my palette was off?

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This IPA has the perfect name as it is the Finest beer brewed by Smuttynose Brewing. A very hoppy beer with a nice bitter aftertaste and a great bite at te finish. If you like your hops this is a beer for you.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Light hazy, yellow beer with a three finger high, white head. A lot of lacing stays on the glass.

Nose: Orange, tropical fruit, citrus, pine, grapefruit and grass.
Taste: Pine, grapefruit, citrus, caramel malt, biscuit and orange.
Body: Medium body and carbonation. Refreshing, dry ending. Great bitterness. Sweet malty feeling.

Great refreshing, original, IPA! I definitely want more of this!

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company