Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind"

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-12-2004

You could say, then, that Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 75 IBU's, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that's not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,751 | Hads: 4,871
4.67/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

In my eyes, the best widely available IPA. Full of citrusy tropical aromas of grapefruit and passionfruit with some kiwi and mango on the taste. Drinkable with some bitterness, not overwhelming at all. Doesn't get the hype because its not new and from a bigger brewery, but this is damn good. (294 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle best by July ??, 2015:
Thinking this has a bit of age on it, so that must be considered. It might have shown in the lack of nose in this pour. Overall it seemed like a hoppy APA, but a nice one.

Pour left some fluffy white head stop a hazy orange body.
As stated, nose was weak. Initially I only got cereal-like grain, but with some effort pulled out some citrus notes, maybe?
Taste is balanced, a lightly tropical or melon sweetness early, grassy hops hit late. Fairly dry beer in the end. Mouthfeel is nice, smooth, and a decent body. (549 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2%

12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Pours a nice, copper color with about 1/2 a finger of white foam. Great carbonation. Somewhat traditional east coast IPA smell - pine, citrus, and hops. A subtle fruity aroma is present with hints of grapefruit, mango,nand peaches. Light weight, and decently creamy mouthfeel. I get some wheat presence up front along with a piney bitterness. Not much fruit presence at all. Finishes light and watery. Lots of bitterness on the aftertaste.

Overall, not bad. Not one of my favorite IPA's, but still light and refreshing. I'm not sure if I'm tasting wheat up front, or if it's one of the hop varieties, but I'm not a huge fan of the overall taste. Again, not a bad beer. Just not that great. (720 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz bottle into a nonic, slight head which doesn't abide but nice lacing. Smells clean and sharp, the hops right out front. I don't recognize the hops but they are very nice, lemon and floral, pleasantly sharp-bitter and not overdone. Good carbonation, maybe a little much to my taste but it plays well against the hoppiness. Solid IPA, wouldn't hesitate to order out if I saw it on the menu - as I often do and I often do. (425 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A classic that I remember from my earlier craft-drinking days. How does it stack up now, given that I'm not a well-versed hop-head. Here goes:

A: Pours a cloudy orange-yellow. Very dark and hazy and not very pretty to look at. However, the carbonation is superb and so is the head. Lacing could be better, however.

S: Very floral and fruity. Lots of grass, lemon, grapefruit, oranges, and herbs. This IPA is more on the floral/fruity side than the sticky piney side.

T: Follows the nose. Lots of fruit in the taste, especially lemon and orange. Caramel malt also evens out the hops somewhat. A good beer, but at this stage in my craft career I'm looking for something a little more robust.

F: Good. Thick and well-carbonated.

O: A solid beer. Probably won't have again, however. Due for an "update," perhaps. (831 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lighter than expected golden body capped by a rampant foamy head that leaves sheaves of lacing. Smells of earthy, piny and citrus hops, faint biscuit. Okay smell. Taste is creamy with a nice hefty bite of orange and grapefruit pith, pine resin and something earthy and floral. Very very flavorful beer. Hop bite is ample and refreshing. Medium body as noted is creamy with almost perfect carbonation. This beer starts off slowly with appearance and smell but is a resoundingly solid and tasty brew which is really what counts. Love the two old goats in the artwork too. Clearly the burly flanneled woodsman on the right is me in 20-50 years.. (647 characters)

I'm not a fan of IPAs, but I decided to try them again. Or this one. Because I am a fan of Smuttynose. When did everyone go hoppy anyways? Is there some kind of herbal buzz? Or is it just xtreme drinking, dude. Anyways, there's really nothing off-putting about this beer. It's solid and strong and bitter and I'd drink it again, and that's saying a lot since I'm not a fan of IPAs. (381 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a pale gold with a slight chill haze. Bone white head. Smells of orange, grapefruit, and cracker grain. Tastes of crisp malt, mandarin, kumquat, yuzu. There's a very solid balancing bitterness. Dry finish. Mouthfeel is light and has lively carbonation. This is an awesome IPA. (293 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +19%

The hops in this beer are so delicately balanced with the inherent sweetness, they result in a silky, savory experience that we quite enjoyed. Very well done, Smuttynose. (170 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice golden hue. Delicious citrusy scent with a light hoppy smell, definitely taste the citrus notes, also has a decent about of bitterness and slight hoppiness. Smooth taste going down not syrupy or off. Good beer. (215 characters)

In my humble opinion, Smuttynose's Finest Kind IPA is one of the best IPA's I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I work very hard, 40+ hours a week, and I'm up at 5am to be at work on time. That being said, if I have the money, I'm buying a six-pack of Finest Kind after work every day and drinking the entire thing over the course of a few hours. Now, I'm not an alcoholic in any way, but I sure as hell am addicted to Finest Kind. It is the epitome of what an IPA should be like. Not to mention that when I wake up in the morning, I'm not hungover at all. Now that's what good beer is all about: enjoyment, satisfaction, and the feeling of being rewarded. Absolutely love it. (682 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy medium orange with a soapy white 1/2 in. head. High carbonation.
S: Pine, orange rind, grapefruit, passion fruit.
T: Bold hop flavors start off and give qualities of orange, grapefruit, and soapyness. Decent malt backbone. Ends with a hop bitterness akin to grapefruit rind.
M: Light-medium.
O: Good flavor and bitterness, but could use a little more fruitiness. (420 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Best by 7/7/15. Poured 3/2/15 into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. My first from Smuttynose, a brewery that I believe is pretty new to Michigan. I've heard great things about this beer (and the brewery in general), so I picked this up.

Appearance: Pretty traditional IPA color -- a golden orange color with some hop haze. There's a quarter finger of a creamy head on top.

Smell: It smells decidedly like an IPA, but it's not the hoppiest one I've smelled -- there's some good balance in there. What I'm picking up is an aroma hard to describe... I think it may be the yeast, but it's a sort of vetiver aroma on the back end of the smell for me. Overlying that is a nondescript kind of citrus aroma. A lot of people seem to be mentioning grapefruit specifically, but I just get citrus. Of course, I also get a nice caramel and possibly crystal malt aroma as well. Not overwhelmingly hoppy for an IPA.

Taste/feel: Not a palate breaker at all, and actually pretty well balanced. Citrus hops with a trace of spiciness and sweet malt... excellent finish on this one. There's definitely a nice IPA bitterness at the end, but it's not as extreme as some. An actually very easy drinking IPA that has an "I could session this" sort of vibe, even at 7%. That's not to necessarily say it tastes like a "lite" IPA, but it doesn't hit as hard as most IPAs do at 7%. The mouthfeel contributes to that sesnation: this has a pretty high prickling carbonation with maybe a medium body.

Something about this beer is distinctively Finest Kind, to me. That vetiver-ish aroma and slight flavor is something I've not experienced in any other beer. I'm not sure I love that, but it makes it something definitely unique and something I could definitely pick out of a line. Couple that "one of a kind" flavor with its incredible drinkability, and I can see why this beer is loved by so many. (1,864 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle is 1.5 months old at this point.

Pours a clear golden orange with a smaller white head.

Comes across citrusy, herbaceous, and floral as far as hops with toasty bready and caramel malt. Already seems passed it's prime compared to other reviews.

Prominent bitterness but a fairly balanced IPA at this point concerning the flavors of hop and malt. (354 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Pours a nice clear gold with a good white head that leaves good lacing

Smell: Pine, resin, citrus, and herbal hops, light cracker malt

Taste: More pine, resin, citrus, and herbal hops with cracker malts. Not too bitter, crisp and refreshing, a very drinkable IPA

Feel: Light to medium body, good carbonation

Overall: A very good brew, would gladly drink again. Worthy of the name (389 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My Wife and I took a tour of the new state-of-the-art Smuttynose Brewery on Towle Farm Road in Hampton, New Hampshire on Labor Day this year. I highly recommend you take a tour of their new brewery and sample their fine beers. (227 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

To me it's the best IPA in the US. Every time I drink this beer (often) it stuns me with its robust flavor. Recommended to any hop lovers who appreciate a quality beer. Thank you Smuttynose, top notch indeed. (208 characters)

Exceptionally well balanced and subtly complex in the best of ways ( to me meaning eminently drinkable. I literally take sip and admire the bottle or glass for its superiority of beermeanor and am often carried off for a second-or many-to places I've been and other great beers I have consumed. State of mind recall is a quality ascribed to the best of beers. It's not often a Busch brings back great memories, well besides being ripped out of a drunken slumber as a minor on a friend's parents' commode...I digress... ). It is simply and eminently drinkable, time and time again...Like the the dudes on the bottle as welll...wow, this is not how one reviews a beer... (668 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Smuttynose's Finest Kind IPA a few days ago for $1.79 at Holiday Market. I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile and now that Smuttynose is available in Michigan I thought I would start off with their IPA, so lets see how it goes. Best by 6/4/15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a classic look to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy golden color that took on more of an orange color when held to the light with almost a finger and a half worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking IPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of green hops and citrus rind aromas with each aspect showing up evenly. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into the malts with some pale malts, sweet malt and light bready aromas coming through. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I could have gone without the green hop aspects.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same even mixture of green hops and citrus rind aromas. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads right into the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the sweet malts seeming to sticking out the most. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a green hop, citrus rind and sweet malt like aftertaste that was just a little watery. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but I wish more of the citrus rind hops showed up.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, fairly clean, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel and it's what I would expect from the style.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was an above average example of the style, it's a nice IPA, but I don't really see what sets it apart from the rest and while it is enjoyable I don't find it to be all that memorable. This beer had a nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, fairly clean, not too filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these, but the taste doesn't really give me the urge to come back for more. What I like the most about this beer was the mouthfeel it was good and just what I expect from the style. What I like the least about this beer was the green hop aspect, I think this bee would be better if it didn't have that. I would buy this beer again, but I don't think it's something I'll keep in the fridge at all time. I would recommend giving this beer a try, but I can't say it's a stand out in the style. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love, it's a pretty solid IPA, don't get me wrong, but when it comes down to it, I don't think it has anything that really sets it apart or makes it memorable. This beer made for a nice first impression for Smuttynose and I think it falls at above average for the style. Nice job guys, this is a solid IPA, keep it up. (3,281 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look. Slightly cloudy (bubbles)' golden honey.
Smell. Crisp, nasal clearing, peach fuzzy astringency.
Taste. Tart and puckery up front, rather dry finish, hoppy all around.
Mouthfeel. Medium body,sparkly, fuzzy after effect.
Overall. Nice strong, medium robust, hoppy IPA? (273 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This is my first review (bear with me here), so I'm not even going to attempt the whole look, smell, taste etc bit. Overall, it doesn't seem to have that 'bite' that other IPAs have. It's very smooth, balanced, smells good, a bit lighter in color than I had expected. I admit I cheated and looked up the beer on BA before purchasing. I wouldn't rate this 100 like the bros, but it's still an A quality beer in my book no doubt. (427 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

WOW! Awesome tasting IPA with a "KICK" I would DEFINETLY recommend this one...and I will be buying more A.S.A.P! Nice Job Smuttynose...this GEM currently has a spot in my TOP10! (177 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - yellow with slight orange glow - foamy head when poured into glass but disappears except for a slight head

S - some hop and

T - some pine and grapefruit pith nice hops - nice hint of bitter that stays on the back of the tongue throughout - stays lively over time

M - light and vibrant with good carbonation

O - very good - really enjoyed this beer- light vibrant - nice bitter with grapefruit and well balanced - would definitely have again (449 characters)

This is one of my favorite beers and it doesn't get enough recognition. FinestKind is one of the best IPAs available. The smell is citrus with a malty sweetness that couldn't complement better. Perfectly balanced across the board. Taste is as hoppy as a standerd IPA should be with just the right amount of malt. Great unfiltered feel, crisp but not thin and the right amount of carbonation. Overall excellent, drink one you will want another drink two and you know it's really good drink a few cases and you will see its just about perfect. (541 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured in to an IPA glass, the citron orange liquid displays a slight chilled haze. There's a nice pillowy head that rises above the rim. Decent head retention, with beautiful white snowflake-like lacing in its wake. An aromatic bouquet of minty pine and grapefruit greets the nose. Pleasant and enticing scents. The flavor is malty sweet with a pronounced hop bitterness. Pungent and pithy. The pale toasted malts wrestle with grapefruit zest, and go down for the count. More balanced than some other American IPA's, but certainly still a hop-centric ale. There's a light lingering mint with a relatively clean, refreshing finish. Excellent mouthfeel with a perfect marriage of a smooth, rich body, and zesty carbonation. This is a quality IPA. It's easy to drink and provides a nice hoppy experience. With the glut of IPA's on the market, this doesn't really stand out too much from the pack though. It's just a tad overrated in my humble opinion. (950 characters)

Smuttynose IPA "Finest Kind" from Smuttynose Brewing Company