Smuttynose Barleywine Style Ale (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Barleywine Style Ale (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Barleywine Style Ale (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Barleywine |  11.60% ABV

2007 - 11.4%
2009 - 11.1%

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-04-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Barleywine Style Ale (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
Rekrule

1.5/5  rDev -62.2%

06-30-2012 21:14:18 | More by Rekrule
ShanePB

10-18-2013 12:30:39 | More by ShanePB
calsbeek

2.5/5  rDev -37%

Pours a nice coppery orange with a perfect little head into a snifer.
all down hill from there.
The nose is bourbony and boozey which is not bad in and of itself, but its just too much. no balance and overthetop even for a barleywine.
The first taste was okay, but the beer was too cold (fridge temp) for the style and as it warmed, the flavors went all out of whack again. Medicinal and boozey. Hot.
The mouthfeel is fine. Nice carbonation and good body but nothign to right home about.
Finally, the beer is so hard to drink. I could never get through the entire bomber on my own and even splitting 22 oz. with my wife, I'm finding it hard to reach the bottom of my glass.
Glad I tried it, but I won't look hard to find my next bottle.

01-27-2008 21:52:43 | More by calsbeek
mcallister

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Crystal clear, clean crimson colored with amber disitinction. Sparsely seperated off white head fades into flimy bubbles thick and wide forming a ring around the glass with a solid center.

Big candy sugar nose similar to the coating on a candy apple. Some toffee malts. Alcohol is very present also. Huge citrus hop character with stone fruit close behind. Nectarine type aromas with a light grapefruit dusting. Spicey qualaties with some floral rose petal aromatics. Honey as well. Seems like it's missing a big malt backbone.

Well this beer is lacking a mid-palate. Candy sugar laced with honey at first sip and then the mid is basically alcohol. Malt is lacking especially for a barley wine. Mainly hop driven with a bitter finish. Citrusy and lacking the stone fruit of the nose. Thin and lacking body, depth, backbone, and complexity. Very dissapointing and not something I'll drink much.

07-20-2007 01:07:39 | More by mcallister
scottum

2.7/5  rDev -32%

This is not amoung the better barleywines I've had. Pours a deep amber with a nice head and a bunch of floating particles. Tastes sickly sweet and bitter at the same time. But not a good bitter or a good sickly sweet. The aftertaste is very annoying, but the only thing in front of me to clean it is more of this beer. D'oh! Drinkable, but nothing here to jump up and down about or stock a celler with.

03-20-2003 15:59:32 | More by scottum

2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

06-24-2014 01:35:17 | More by Brutus627
joedon

2.78/5  rDev -30%

I've had this beer in bottles on a couple of tries and was quite pleased. When I had the chance to try it on tap, I was very hopeful to give it a try.

At the Sunset Grill and Tap in Boston today, I had a snifter of the Barleywine. It was a big disappointment. The hot alcohol taste dominated everything and made it very nearly undrinkable. I'm not sure what the difference with the bottled version might be but apparently, something went wrong with this keg. Nice bitterness, good color and lacing and lots of malt flavor and aroma. But the burning alcohol dominated everything else. Also had a bit of metallic-chemical aftertaste.

01-04-2008 00:14:43 | More by joedon
AJPainter

Maine

2.95/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a deep chestnut with a thick white head which dissipates pretty quickly but leaves some nice lacing. I get some hops and a little malt from the aroma and taste, but there's something else; something I can't quite put my finger on, and I don't find particularly pleasant. It might be vinous, it might just be hot and need to be cellared a little longer, I don't know.

I might get another of these at some point to cellar for a few more months, but I'm not so keen on this right now.

03-12-2006 00:34:12 | More by AJPainter

11-17-2011 09:05:10 | More by mater
davidwhatshisnam

05-03-2014 21:16:42 | More by davidwhatshisnam
JDV

Pours a dark amber color. Sudsy whitish head that doesn't last too long. Smell is fruity and vegetal to me. Not particularly appealing but not bad. Taste is caramel with hops in balance but with a definite alcohol presence noticeable. Slightly thin, and flavor was too alcohol driven for it to be very enjoyable.

04-06-2008 17:52:48 | More by JDV

Connecticut

02-01-2012 02:54:56 | More by jfcaa193
samie85

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

A-Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a finger and a half of white head.

S-Sweet caramel malt with some citrusy hop notes and some dark fruit.

T-Dark plum with a defined bitterness and a slight ethanol note on the finish.

M-Rich and chewy with a medium-heavy body, low carbonation, and a very warm mouth and throatfeel.

D-Honestly the alcohol on this one is way too noticeable and detracts form the beer even after 6+ months of aging. Not my cup of tea at all.

01-27-2012 13:08:55 | More by samie85
maximum12

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Picked up a bottle of reliable Smuttynose across the river in Wisconsin...a while back, I guess. Notch on the label is 2009, so this either aged in the store or in my basement.

Pours into a couple of snifters, very dark orange, with significant sediment, even allowing for a couple ounces left in the bottom of the bottle. Lots of caramel & oranges in the nose, malt sweetness, & the beginning shadow of oxidation.

Smutty Barleywine reps the style with under-stated style. Overwhelmingly sweet, a combo of sugar, malts, & rock candy rakes the tender skin of my delicate mouth, it's hat tilted jauntily. Caramel juts its sticky nose out, & alcohol wants too much attention, even after a long rest. Oxidation is just starting to appear. Bare fruit skins. Maybe pear, maybe apple, with the juice sucked out.

Pretty standard barleywine; decent enough, but the sweetness is really tough to get past. I think it's damaged the roof of my mouth. Not as good as some of the fine Smuttynose brews I've had in the past, but decent enough.

04-29-2011 02:59:01 | More by maximum12
avylover

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a deep brown ruby color with a white head. There are tons of floaties,some large, in this brew and I can only hope that it's yeast. Appearance suffers greatly because of this. I'm a little apprehensive at this point, but here goes....

Smell is mega malty, sweet bread ,hop & alcohol vapors. Taste is very sweet & too medicinal at first. It seems to mellow after a few sips. There's some nice breadiness in there, and a slight hop bitterness & some alcohol in the finish. Can't help but wonder about these floaties. Mouthfeel is thick & smooth, but the aftertaste is medicinal. Not a very drinkable barleywine as I'm not sure I can finish my pint.

07-24-2003 00:22:44 | More by avylover
drabmuh

Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

On tap at Pizza P. Ugh, not a fan. Beer is brown with a wispy tan head of small bubbles, no lacing, no carbonation to speak of, low retention.

Aroma is sweet and boozy, lots of alcohol in the nose.

Beer is thin and harsh, very hot, thins out on the end and has a really dry finish, leaves me wanting a glass of water after every sip, I didn't like and won't have it again.

02-28-2012 17:51:07 | More by drabmuh
Kadonny

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Not sure what year this is, but I am pretty sure it's no more than a year old.

A: A dark brown orange color with a slight off white head. Murky and thick with minimal glass lacing.

S: Sweet fruity smells with hints of caramel and a nice hops nose.

T: Wow, a huge hit of malty sweetness with dried fruit flavors, raisins, caramel and some floral earthy hops. Sweetness comes back in in the end, almost too much so. This reminds me more of an english style barleywine with more alcohol. Finish is all alcohol bite. Very hot.

M: Full and coating and extremely hot with alcohol. This beer needs age.

D: Low. By the end of the first glass the alcohol had beaten up my palate plus the sweetness got cloying.

Maybe this beer needs more age (probably so), but I did not enjoy this at all. I struggled to finish it and I feel this may need 3-5 years of age on it to round out. Still I'm glad I tried it, but I won't go back to it. I'll stick with Bigfoot, Old Guard and Old Ho and Old Ruff.

12-15-2008 20:38:51 | More by Kadonny
nvsblman

Arizona

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Clear reddish brown with about a finger of light brown head. Piney and earthy hop aroma with a good dose of sweet caramel. Sadly the alcohol flavor is the dominant flavor. There is some caramel in the background, and a bitter finish, but there's not much getting past the alcohol. Thin/medium bodied with lots of carbonation. This one needed some age on it to tame the alcohol a little, but I'd be interested in giving it another shot.

03-10-2006 02:55:11 | More by nvsblman
Smuttynose Barleywine Style Ale (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company