Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-1998

Old Brown Dog has been cited as a classic example of the “American Brown Ale” style of beer. Compared to a typical English Brown Ale, Old Brown Dog is fuller-bodied and more strongly hopped.

to view more.
Ratings: 2,419 | Reviews: 944

This would be the Gold (Brown) standard.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz bottle, a very recent arrival to we beer freaks and geeks up here in Alberta.

This beer pours a clear, medium red-brick amber hue, with three fingers of puffy, densely foamy, and slightly creamy ecru head, which leaves some layered approaching storm front lace around the glass as it genially recedes.

It smells of semi-sweet, and lightly roasted caramel malt, a thin bar-top nuttiness, faint cold coffee, smoke-tinged cocoa, muted black fruit, and soft earthy, leafy, and herbal hops. The taste is bready, grainy caramel malt, a bit of wet breakfast biscuit, bittersweet chocolate, still ethereal cafe-au-lait, fading dark orchard fruit, and a consistent earthy, weedy, and herbal bitter hoppiness.

The carbonation is pleasantly engaging with its come-hither frothiness, the body a sturdy middleweight, and a bit too edgy from either hop or heretofore undetected alcohol to be deemed particularly smooth. It finishes well off-dry, the complex malt steering it as such, while any hops continue to fail to provide much in the way of flavour.

Much more English in orientation, than American, as far as Brown Ales go, methinks. The hops generally provide support and balance, without coming to the forefront, and the well-rounded malt seals the deal. At any rate, a decent brown ale overall, and worth seeking out.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lots of caramel and dark fruits (raisins?) from the malts on this one. Yum. A slightly hoppy finish too. Much better than Samuel Smith's Nut Brown in my opinion.

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - A translucent brown, with a touch of red, and transparency only at the edge. White head is short and quick to fade. Not much lacing, but a delicious looking brown nevertheless.

S - Strong hit of malt, caramel, cutting toward barrel aged spirits despite not having been aged in one, and alcohol hints.

T - Delivers a bright malt flavor of baked brown bread, wheat, along with a strong caramel note. The close is mildly bitter, hinting a more savory element, a smokiness, that adds greater depth and character.

M - Sufficiently hefty to not disappear as you drink, but not in the least burdening as you drink.

O - A well crafted brown that delivers both a traditional flavor and additional depth from hops and roasting that make it a brown to remember.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Brown pour with a clear amber hue in the glass; One finger beige head that leaves a ton of lacing

Smell: Caramel and toffee, cocoa powder, maybe even an undertone of smoke as well, and the hops help to kind of brighten all the aromas. Quite subtle yet balanced and somewhat complex

Taste: A good blend of malt flavors (toffee, caramel, bakers chocolate) upfront with a nice grainy and hoppy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body; I must say i was very surprised and impressed by how smooth this is. If this isnt creamy i dont know what is. Seems like its nitro or something.

Overall: This is a damn good brown ale, and a great go to, sessionable ale. I imagine drinking this at a pub next to classics such as Eddy Fitz and the like. Dangerously drinkable, even at 6.7%. You cant really get smoother than this. The only thing that could make this beer better is to kick up the aromas a notch or two to make it more robust. That being said, it is quite good as is and I definitely recommend it. Make yours a Smutty!

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle poured into Pilsner glass

Clear copper brown, some carbonation, bubbly one finger taupe cap, good lacings

Aroma of sweet malt

Malt sweetness, back of the tongue, slight hoppy finish

Little to no sudsing, quaffable,

Very good, enjoyable brew

4.79/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best browns I have had.

4.41/5  rDev +12.2%

The Old Brown Dog is still what it used to be although Olive herself has passed on to amber fields of grain. I started drinking this on tap at the Portsmouth Brewery back in the days of the early twenty-first century while watching Tom Brady lead the Patriots (they hate us cuz they ain’t us) to their first Super Bowl champion season before TV was HD and the bartender knew the point spread. Ah, those were the days my friend when games were won by some sleight of hand and bar seats were scouted out by watching wallets being pulled out of if not exactly a hat then an old jean pocket. Is that all there is? Then let’s keep sipping. Oh yeah, the beer? I like it. It’s one of my old stand-bys, much better than most normal-priced twelve-packs around these parts. There’s a nice muted malt flavor that actually gets better as the beer gets warmer, and a sufficient dose of hops for the American palate, although, truth be told, I’d increase the malt and lessen the hops and then I’d be giving it a perfect 5, which considering my preference for a four-pack bang for the buck roasted toasted or malted is saying quite a lot. The color is a nice brown, of course, rich Ghirardelli-like about (did you know there’s 2 r’s in Ghirardelli?) 60% cacao-like. I’m not a beer connoisseur but I know what I like and I like the Old Brown Dog. Oh you’re such a good girl, Olive.

4.87/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I can't believe I haven't reviewed a Smutty beer - one of my absolute fave breweries. In the mad world of the IPA craze (and I love them too -Smutty's Finestkind included) a malt based probrew like Old brown Dog is refreshing. Smuttynose is incredible value - all of their beers are solid and priced for the working man. Thanks to you all you hard-working Smuttiers for producing this classic.

I drink every day
But it's not my fault
It's those evil brewers
Of hops and malt

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Not much to say here other then good, solid brown ale. Very well balanced, very drinkable.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 Oz bottle in point glass. Medium brown with a thin team head. Mild malt aroma. Tastes a little sweet and caramel malty, but we'll balanced. Not as burnt as some brown ales. Neeson bodied. A good, easy drinking brown.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%

Nice light chocolate color. Thin tan head well balanced mix of malt first followed by the hops. Nice addition to roasted chicken and root veggies

3.93/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now THAT is a GOOD DOG!

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Gotta love a classic beer.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

Look -> The look was obviously the best. Nice amberish brown.1 finger of head with a slight tan that quickly turned into a ring and later disappeared. Not sure if it had really small amount of sediment, almost nothing. The name and the image go great with the look and style.

Smell -> The smell kinda turned me off as I expected a sweet yet bitter caramel. But is morelike a grainy malty smell. Its not bad, you just expect a whole different aroma and i think we can all agree.

Taste -> You get this caramel sweet bitter roasty hot flavor. Really pleasant good to the palate taste. I really didnt perceived more flavors, id say hops but really nothing much. I also perceived kinda off a nutty flavor almost like cashews. Really complex.

Feel -> Felt it a like dry, but thats just me. Also felt a nice kinda creamy smooth soft really low on crisp. Not the best but not bad at all.

Overall -> I can totally pick this up again, great for dessert or just to chill out on a stressful day. Love what Smuttynose does, they just know how to do it and from a scale from 1 to 10 id give it a solid 7.5

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Smuttynose's Old Brown Dog Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.79 at Holiday Market. It's been a little while since I've tried a new Brown Ale and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. Best by 6-1-15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A_ The label looks good and it goes well with the name. It poured a nice darker amber color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of fizzy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer and it's mainly what I expect from the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some yeasty aromas being the first to show up and they are followed by the malts which impart a caramel malt, toasted, grainy, and doughy aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, but it wasn't as balanced as I would like.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but more balanced and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast still being the first to show up, but it's not as dominating as it was in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which show up more than they did in the aroma and they impart the same nice aspects along with a noticeable toffee flavor. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a little of sweetness taking it's place and it has a nice toasted, toffee and caramel like aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

M- Smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a good example of a Brown Ale, the aroma threw me off a little, but once I got to the taste I enjoyed it more and those aspects that I look for in the style started to show up. This beer had nice drinkability, It was smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these, especially in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, it was pretty nice and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it was just a little unbalanced with the yeast being too dominant. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend trying it if you like Brown Ales. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't the most impressive Brown Ale I've had, but it was still nice and in the end I enjoyed it. It's not a favorite of the style and I would say it's right on the same level as their Finest Kind IPA. Nice job guys, this was a nice Brown Ale, keep it up.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The best thing about it was the smell. Thought the taste was thin and average. Wouldn't buy it but would drink it for free.

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a fine brown with a fair amount of off white head. Smells of malts, bready a bit floral. Taste is caramel, light non specific malts throughout, minimal floral/bitter hops at finish. Light to medium bodied, fairly clean finish.

Overall, not bad for the style but lacks body, complexity and flavor. I wouldn't seek this beer out, but wouldn't turn it down if offered to me.

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look- dark brown with a thin creamy lace that retains well.
Smell- malty, syrupy, caramel and grains. Also slightly medicinal.
Taste- sweet, fruity, malty and grainy.
Feel- my favorite attribute of this brew. Creamy, smooth and a nice wet finish.
Overall a great beer that I see myself getting again. This is my second time trying it and I like it even better than before.

3.29/5  rDev -16.3%

Argh, why do I keep getting this. Got the variety pack and this one again. I've had it 50 times and always forget how unforgettable it is. Thank god for beer advocate - this well thought out review is now locked in stone. Here goes. Odd copper color in my mind. I liked the bready smell, but the taste is disappointing. ABV not distinctive and just bland to me. I like the name and art - bottle looks good. I'll probably have another one in 2 weeks and be annoyed

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Very dark cloudy smooth taste

4.46/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, cloudy, dark mahogany color with an eighth of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very malty and bready, like freshly baked pretzels, followed by some sweetness, floral notes of clover and some nuttiness.

Taste: Very much like the aroma. Very, very malty and bready up front, imparting flavors of pretzels and rye bread, followed by some toffee-like sweetness, some nuttiness and some subtle, hoppy bitterness. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 6.7%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an absolutely delicious brown ale! Great balance between malt, nuttiness, sweet and bitter. This can easily become my go to East Coast brown ale. Delicious!

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%

It's an OK beer. Not world class but just OK. I did expect a better feel but it just felt thin. Lacked a head. The high ABV doesn't justify a stellar review. However, love the name!

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.
Pours an appropriate brown with ruby highlights and a tan head that leaves plenty of lacing.
The aroma is spice and dark fruit with a hint of booze as well as hints of caramel and rich, dark bread.
Very tasty brew. Early sweet caramel with some spiciness and a hint of dried fruit. it finishes with a pleasing and mild bitterness.
Nice moutfeel, medium and almost creamy. Very nice.
A really enjoyable and finely-crafted beer.

I mean, it's fine. It's not something for which you're going to regret paying. But, it's not going stick-out in your memory, either.

to view more.