Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-1998

Old Brown Dog has been cited as a classic example of the “American Brown Ale” style of beer. Compared to a typical English Brown Ale, Old Brown Dog is fuller-bodied and more strongly hopped.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale Alström Bros
3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

Look -> The look was obviously the best. Nice amberish brown.1 finger of head with a slight tan that quickly turned into a ring and later disappeared. Not sure if it had really small amount of sediment, almost nothing. The name and the image go great with the look and style.

Smell -> The smell kinda turned me off as I expected a sweet yet bitter caramel. But is morelike a grainy malty smell. Its not bad, you just expect a whole different aroma and i think we can all agree.

Taste -> You get this caramel sweet bitter roasty hot flavor. Really pleasant good to the palate taste. I really didnt perceived more flavors, id say hops but really nothing much. I also perceived kinda off a nutty flavor almost like cashews. Really complex.

Feel -> Felt it a like dry, but thats just me. Also felt a nice kinda creamy smooth soft really low on crisp. Not the best but not bad at all.

Overall -> I can totally pick this up again, great for dessert or just to chill out on a stressful day. Love what Smuttynose does, they just know how to do it and from a scale from 1 to 10 id give it a solid 7.5

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Smuttynose's Old Brown Dog Ale a couple weeks ago for $1.79 at Holiday Market. It's been a little while since I've tried a new Brown Ale and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. Best by 6-1-15. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A_ The label looks good and it goes well with the name. It poured a nice darker amber color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of fizzy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer and it's mainly what I expect from the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some yeasty aromas being the first to show up and they are followed by the malts which impart a caramel malt, toasted, grainy, and doughy aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, but it wasn't as balanced as I would like.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but more balanced and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast still being the first to show up, but it's not as dominating as it was in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which show up more than they did in the aroma and they impart the same nice aspects along with a noticeable toffee flavor. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a little of sweetness taking it's place and it has a nice toasted, toffee and caramel like aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

M- Smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a good example of a Brown Ale, the aroma threw me off a little, but once I got to the taste I enjoyed it more and those aspects that I look for in the style started to show up. This beer had nice drinkability, It was smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these, especially in the fall time. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, it was pretty nice and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it was just a little unbalanced with the yeast being too dominant. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend trying it if you like Brown Ales. All in all I was happy with this beer, it wasn't the most impressive Brown Ale I've had, but it was still nice and in the end I enjoyed it. It's not a favorite of the style and I would say it's right on the same level as their Finest Kind IPA. Nice job guys, this was a nice Brown Ale, keep it up.

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The best thing about it was the smell. Thought the taste was thin and average. Wouldn't buy it but would drink it for free.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.42/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a fine brown with a fair amount of off white head. Smells of malts, bready a bit floral. Taste is caramel, light non specific malts throughout, minimal floral/bitter hops at finish. Light to medium bodied, fairly clean finish.

Overall, not bad for the style but lacks body, complexity and flavor. I wouldn't seek this beer out, but wouldn't turn it down if offered to me.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look- dark brown with a thin creamy lace that retains well.
Smell- malty, syrupy, caramel and grains. Also slightly medicinal.
Taste- sweet, fruity, malty and grainy.
Feel- my favorite attribute of this brew. Creamy, smooth and a nice wet finish.
Overall a great beer that I see myself getting again. This is my second time trying it and I like it even better than before.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%