Smuttynose S'muttonator (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose S'muttonator (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose S'muttonator (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

S’muttonator is a tasty mixture of German ingredients & good ol’ fashioned New England tenaciousness. Our brewers take 30 hours to brew a single batch of this traditional Double Bock. Take your time & enjoy its rich, malty & deceptively smooth flavor.

2008 - 8.8%
2010 - 9.5%

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-11-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose S'muttonator (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours out a beautiful ruby red color with a good size tan head that seems to last. The smell is almost Belgian Pale Ale like with hints of citrus and a solid malt backbone. Bubbles are small but frequent as they make their way to the top.

After the first sip the first thing I notice is how sweet this beer is. The malt and slightest hint of hops hit you in the beginning then gives way to the alcohol. The aftertaste is almost grassy. This beer really leaves that warming feeling.

The flavor profile isn't that big but the alcohol does kick your ass in the end. Some age may do this beer some good. I tried this on tap at Bones and don't remember the alcohol being so prominent. I am going with Longstaff suggestion of trying to age this big boy for a bit. Overall, interesting and powerful.

CharlesRiver, Feb 04, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance – This one sported a smallish white head and was light, ruby brown in color.

Smell – There’s some light caramel and good toasty malts to this nose, but the booze is just horrendous. I like a sense of alcohol in my Doppelbocks, but this was like Russian vodka from a plastic bottle (no offense, Globetrotter). The fruits, mostly prunes and plums, were terrific along with the sugary molasses, but I just couldn’t get by the alcohol.

Taste – The molasses came out big at the taste. The malts were huge and soaked in darkish fruits. The cheap vodka flavor dimmed my view of this one, though.

Mouthfeel – This is between medium and full-bodied with a light drying at the finish and a huge alcohol sting.

Drinkability – I enjoyed some of the malty and fruity flavors of this DB, but the booze and harsh bitterness at the finish ruined the experience.

Comments – Thanks to Skyhand for letting me use her sink to pour out the rest of this bottle.

Update – I originally reviewed this with a 2005 sample and noticed that I came in much lower than everyone else. I thought maybe I got a bad bottle so was thrilled when BeerGuy brought me another bomber, this time an ’06 vintage.

I would stand by my previous review with two exceptions. First, the head was much better this time around. Second, the alcohol was still cumbersome but not as bad as the ’05. The rest of my tasting notes seemed right on, so I am going to raise my Appearance rating by half a point and call it even.

Oh, and I'm not sinking this one.

RoyalT, Feb 04, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

I've been waiting for this beer to become available since I first saw a notice of it on the Smuttynose website. It poured from the bottle a clear mahogany color with a thick tan head that settles to a clingy lace on the side of the glass. The nose has a great caramel/toffee aroma up front. More candy notes in the middle of the aroma, and just a hint of hop fruit on the finish. The taste is a lush burst of malt sweetness. Rich toffee with praline and dates, and oddly some pepper character. Very subtle, but there. Very rich, smooth mouth feel, and very drinkable. I love this beer.

carln26, Jan 26, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Maltheads rejoice! This is one big, MALTY brew! Pours a deep dark brown with a huge head that stays put. Sweet, roasted malts, perhaps some prunes and candied sugar? Nice hoppy bite at the end. An excellent interpretation of the style. Not as smoothly creamy as Celebrator, my all time favorite Dopplebock, but its now my favorite US-brewed Dopplebock, However, I have not been able to lay my hands on any Thomas Hooker Liberator yet.... hmmmm.

ChrisBowers, Jan 21, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks Dave for this one. Nice sweet malty taste and it has
a nice alcohol kick, I didn't realize 9% but its so tastey you
don't really notice it. Creamy raisin/ and that cherry(sour) back
there makes this a beer I will seek again. I had Three Philosophers
the night before so I still had that sour cherry taste going, it gives
this beer a whole drinkablitly. Highly recommended stuff.

littlebibs, Jan 20, 2005

Lots of malts, some alcohol, along with some doughy banana aromas. Dark cream colored head. Transparent, dark cola colored beer with a caramel hue with streams of slowly rising small bubbles. Soft mouthfeel on this fairly thick beer. Big malty flavor is pretty sweet and alcoholic, and accompanied by some doughy yeastiness. Bitterness kicks in midway and takes the alcohol with it into the finish. I like this beer, it's big and tasty, and while I know it's party of the Big Beer Series, it seems like it's just a little too big, especially with the bitterness.

HappyHourHero, Jan 20, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

poured with a tan thick pillowy head witha deep amber color with some excellent clarity. syrup sugary aroma very subtle and balanced with some alcohol. thick sweet malty mouthfeel with a spicy warming alcohol. very warming and spicy with a slight smokey afterataste and a hot finish. took a bit to get through a bomber but that's what there made for, sippin. good stuff.

shippos, Jan 19, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

The bottled version poured out into my .5 liter mug with a huge creamy caramel colored head. Hot alcohol aromas dominate the nose. Creamy mouthfeel is quite appropriate and there is a nice raisin, dark chocolate, and plum flavor, but the hot alcohol aromas and flavors seem to overide everything else. Now I can see why they delayed to release of this beer, hoping the hotness subsides. Its something I am noticing in many of their big beer series lately, maybe they are too big? I will buy a few bottles and let them sit for a few months. Hopefully it mellows by the time the traditional dopplebock season rolls around.

Longstaff, Jan 18, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

A very, very intriguing brew, to say the least, and one that needs to be experienced personally...

As I vigorously poured this bad boy into my 0.5L Munich Malles mug, I noticed a respectable, albeit unspectacular beige head form atop this deep and rich looking amber-brown brew. I caught a whiff of this Bier from about 2 feet away...the aromas are intense, including rich and luscious caramel goodness as well as some residual fruit sweetness...sour cherries and/or raisins perhaps? Regardless, yum! The flavor of this dopplebock did not disappoint and when Smuttynose says this is a Big Beer, they are not kidding... BIG malt flavor and chewiness in this one to go along with the almost nutty yet carmelized sweetness on the palate. The texture on the palate was gentle and soothing, but not quite to the silky level. I am catching some notes of hops in the back end, but I cannot place what kind or just how much...

Nevertheless, a fine, fine dopplebock. But do not be mistaken. This is intense in both aroma and flavor. Still, S'muttonator is a damn fine brew...

goindownsouth, Jan 18, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

I was absolutely blown away by this. Firstly, I have never seen head retention like this beer boasts. It's been in my glass for over an hour, and there's still a measurable head. The taste and smell remind me of Celebrator, the yardstick by which double bocks will be measured, but just seems to do so much more. Viciously smooth, with a velvety mouthfeel that leaves very little to be desired. Near perfection. I will have to try this next to a Celebrator one day to determine which is the true yardstick.

altctrlsdelete, Jan 18, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Happy to find this bomber in my packy today. Fresh seasional in the correct season, bottle tells you it was bottled in 2004. Looks like they think it will age well.
Dark amber, cloudy with what looks like unexpected yeast particles floating around. Tan head, leaving thick sticky lacing. Rich nose of malt, bourbon and alcohol. This is a full bodied, flavorful , strong sipper. It feels all of its 9%! Nice thick and smooth mouthfeel. Notes of rum, raisins, vanilla, honey, cinimmon. This brew oozes flavor, character and complexity, Go Smutty! Fine winter sipper.

Billolick, Jan 17, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

mahignay in color, with a tannish/white head that doesn't stick around for long. smells like booze, carmel and toffee. tastes the same, a little unbalanced on the alcohol front, but it blends nice enough after the initial startling few sips. other big beer series beers are better but smutty never let ya down. somewhat heavier in the muth feel then you might expect, probably due to the alcohol. still drinable, despite the alcohol taste because as it warms the taste blends better.

MediocreatBest, Jan 17, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +16.8%

Where do i begin with this one. Let me start upon pouring the head rentention was incredible very thick. Color was not quite as dark as i thought it might be but the beautiful mahogany color drew me in.

The smell carried a well balanced malty aroma along with hints of dark fruits which I thought was a nice touch.

Mouthfeel: smooth but lightly bubbly very nice atribrute.

Over all this double bock ranks very well among bocks such as Samuel Adams double bock. The taste was so wondefully malty nice dark roasted malt wow this is very nice and shall be bought home from the beer store. Cheers!

horshack7, Jan 15, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Ahhh... the long-awaited and much anticipated S'muttonator! Into my Portsmouth Imperial pint glass she goes, a clear, rich garnet/mahogany color. Hard-pour didn't entice too much head, so to speak, but about a 1/2" layer receding to just some wispy, beige gatherings of bubbles around the edge, and with a bit, but not a whole lot, of lace to write home about. Lovely color, though.
Nose was fairly strong, reaching me from a couple feet away after pouring, and consisting of a healthy dose of caramel, malty sweetness along with hints of dark fruit, like raisin and currants. Body was well-above medium, almost full, imo. And it has a thick, chewy feel and is quite smooth across the palate. Oh yeah!

Flavor is a solid hit of lots and lots of malt. It has an exquisite sweetness level without being cloying, with caramel and suggestions of brown sugar leading the way. There seems to be some sort of nuttiness present as well, and it has a sharp, spicy quality sticking in the nooks and crannies of my mouth. I can't put my finger on the hops, but they lend a subtle, floral quality to the flavor background, and keep the malt from going overboard.

First impression? I like!! S'muttonator has lots of potential, with perhaps some good aging possibilities. I must do a side-by-side with this and some other DBock faves, like Sammy, Andechs and Salvator. Right now, 2 thumbs up for Smutty!!

Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.45
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 5

Bierman9, Jan 11, 2005