Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Wheatwine |  10.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-13-2005

Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale is a unique hybridization of two well-known beer styles, combining the rich, voluptuous taste of a traditional barleywine with the subtle, tart flavors of an American wheat ale, topped off with a healthy dose of crisp, herbaceous hops.

2007 - 11.4%
2008 - 10.3%
2009 - 11.4%
2010 - 12.0%
2014 - 10.8%
4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: clear copper in color with a thick 2" fluffy white head. Thick lacing develops on the glass. Cabonation level is low.

Smell: the aroma is of ripe fruits, alcohol, and candy sweetness.

Taste: the flavor is of strong caramel, yeast, earth, sweet fruit, alcohol, and decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel: smooth and dry. The finish is long on the sweetness and alcohol.

Drinkability: decent drinkability, even though this is high on the alcohol scale. Find this one and enjoy it.

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to MrRetardedMonkey for shipping me a bottle of this...a while back. Man, I need to trade/buy less beer & drink more. Sipping this to warm me up after an evening of fishing in 44 degree weather...

Dark, rich, ruddy reddish hue to this bad-boy. Smells much the same, rich & sweet & full, with perhaps a faint memory of sun-kissed fall grasses. Although I missed fall this year. All five hours of it in Minnesota.

This is a fine wheat wine, companiono. Sugary, malty, fruity, and what the hell, bourbon on the bottom? Is this barrel aged or just some weird concoctional accident? Riding shotgun is a vague, almost medicinal herbality & a ginsu knife of alcohol holding it all together. Wow. A whole alphabet soup of stuff going on here, & it works.

This is a thick, languid beer. That I want to gulp. I'd probably choke. Near-perfect for the style, it has to be so to hold all that depth. I'm not sure I could drink more than one of these, but damn, I'd like to try.

Smuttynose. I'm fast becoming a fan, they're churning out some good stuff, & some great stuff. This falls into the latter category. Excellent beer. I will seek this one out again.

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured it vigorously to try and stir up some carbonation. a thin white head appeared...perhaps a bit lacking in carbonation...but not so lacking I 'd call it a problem.

smell: dry barley wine type smell...maybe a hint of apple

overall: pretty awesome I think, great winter beer, has a really warm taste, not a burny alchohol taste, even though this beer has some punch. basically I would describe this barley wine as dry..farily complex, and very drinkable.

wish I had more to drink.

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

I am sampling this brew at slightly chilled in a tulip glass.
The beer pours a light chestnut color with some blush wine highlights. There is a thin off white edge layer of head and that is all.
Aroma is mild overall with some biscuity yeast and lite fruit red grapes and actually some chocolate and toffee.
First sip reveals fine gentle rolling carbonation and a thinner body than expected. This is due to the wheat % in grain bill I suspect.
Flavor is also fairly mild with toffee and berries up front roling to some red grape and a bit of wheaty twang. I do detect some lite alcohol on the finish as well. The finish is also very dry and vinous which encourages me to take another sip. This is a very tasty beer that is a definite sipper. Give it a shot if you see it!

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

22oz bomber into a DFH Signature Glass a murky orange with an almost nonexistant head. Aroma is loads of bananas, orange, sweet malts with mild hops. The taste is like a tropcal barley wine, loads of sweet fruits with a nice lingering finish. The beer is somewhat heavy with a decent amount of warming alcohol. This is a very interesting, enjoyable brew!

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

From the bottle: "Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale is a unique hybridization of two well-known beer styles, combining the rich, voluptuous taste of a traditional barleywine with the subtle, tart flavors of an American wheat ale, topped off with a healthy dose of crisp, herbaceous herbs."

Dispensed from a 22oz bottle into a large hefeweizen glass. Amber orange colored beer with a nice, tight, orange sherbert colored head emerges. Head has nice retention and leaves sporadic lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma is citrusy and hoppy. Not quite like a DIPA, but more than a APA, there is a very nice hop aroma here. A nice caramel malt backbone supports the hops. Although this beer is 53% wheat, I dont really smell the wheat over the malt.

The flavor boasts more of the earthy hops than the aroma, in my opnion. A smooth, mellow, earthy hop presence like an English Barleywine. A nice malt presence as well. Alcohol presence, but not overwhleming. Bitterness in the finish and an overall earthy and deep down flavor.

The mouthfeel is near perfect here. Full bodied with a nice tart afterbite. The alcohol flavor is minimized quite well. This one is very drinkable. In fact, I think I will remain seated for awhile as not to break valuables around la casa. A perfect beer for the snowy day here in NC (yes I said snow).

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

Well rounded, smooth brew, with subtle smokiness, that lends well to pairings with grilled meats--and especially charcuterie/salumi. If I smoked, I'd be more than willing to substitute this for a snifter of Cognac (which I'm oh so partial to).

Notes of apricots, cedar and tobacco. Little head retention, but it's almost as velvety as it is fiery. This beer is now to be a staple in my household--on hand to be savoured with a spread of smoked, salty delights.

4.26/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Bottle Conditioned in 2006"

Wow. That was the first word I said as I took a sip of this beer. I was skeptical, seeing as the two beers I've tried before this were past date and sour and stale. The last two didn't make it in the cellar for the past few years but this one has thrived.

A - Cloudy, deep amber with no head whatsoever. I poured it properly, but it poured into the glass like syrup. Literally, syrup, which I have never seen before.

S - Wheat, barley, some slight malt and hops, slight alcohol, citrus.

T - Unreal. Perfect warmth from the alcohol. Perfect amount of carbonation. Bread, citrus, malt, perfect. By perfect, I mean, for the style of beer of course.

M/D - Smooth as any beer I've tried. Incredibly drinkable for the style. The flavors and the alcohol have mellowed so well. Although mine has been able to age for quite some time, I would recommend this beer to anyone.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at the Collins bar in little 'ole NYC. Pours orangy apricot, moderatly cloudy, minimal head, with light and elongated strips of lacing. Nose is sweet and phenolic, with notes of gin and anise, mmm yummmy stuff my eyes and nose are telling me. Buttery mouthfeel. Nice yeasty, wheat feel to this stuff. Packed with fruity flavors with some gin, and bourbon notes to make things interestingly complex.This is a fruity, alcoholic, strong, and tasty beer. More fine brew from smutty. Extra fine on tap, I'd love to try some of the bottled variety as well.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to ritzkiss for sharing this stuff! I've never tried a wheat wine or a Smuttynose. 2008 vintage.

The bomber pours a beautiful amber-orange colour, with a small showing of off-white head fading to traces as would usually be expected of such a big beer. There are some good-sized chunkies floating around at the bottom of the glass, as noted by bobsy's wife.

This stuff smells pretty much like what I would expect a barley wine to smell like; I guess it would make sense that the styles aren't all that different. This wheat wine is still made with about half barley, after all. Big scents of caramelized brown sugar, raisin, vanilla and some perceivable wheatiness. Some alcohol and hops poke through.

The taste is quite the same: lots of sugary, dark-fruity goodness. Raisins, dark caramel, a bit woody and some dark, earthy hop bitterness. Some wheat is there to hint that this stuff is not a barley wine, but I could see mistaking it on a blind tasting. It's similar enough. A liqueur-like booziness warms on the way down. You can feel the alcohol but it's still pretty smooth for its ABV. Pretty complex and tasty.

The feel is pretty great as well. Slightly-syrupy, thick mouthfeel is paired with a gently carbonation. Pairs very well with the flavour.

I really like big, boozy barley wines so it makes sense that I loved this stuff too. I'm not positive that I would be able to distinguish wheat from barley wines but definitely enjoyed that little extra kick the wheat seems to have given. The ABV obviously holds the drinkability back and it's a definite sipper, but I would love to get another chance to drink this one. Thanks again Eric!

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Bottled in 2009, so about a year old and should be tasty! Wish I had taped the cap which I usually do for cellar aging beers, but I was expecting to drink this right away and as that didn't happen I think some of the carbonation is gone.

A light creamy head covering comes with an aggressive pour, and fades somewhat quickly. The beer is a murky, yeast chunk filled rosy caramel orange color.

The nose coifs wheat wine. It has lots of wheats, both dark and light, as well as some reddish malts and caramel. Some maple syrup, and some sweetness, a little candi sugar, and some light booze. I think there's a hint of an earthy hop bitterness.

The taste is more of the same, loaded with malts and wheat. Wheats both dark and light, lots of malted barley with that. Some syrups and sugars, little maple, little molasses, and juicy. Hints of dark fruits, nothing in particular though. Pretty sweet overall, with some warming and lightly tingly booze, but seems to drink less than 10.7%. It also adds a slight creamy taste to it, and light chewy malt flavors. A hint of vanilla too, and I think a slight bourbon like flavor. Some light earthy hops as well, that I bet were a lot more dominant early on in the beer's life. It dries slightly on the finish but keeps a strong sweetness, but surprisingly not sticky. A nice long barleywine like finish, with lots of dark sugars and malts, some wheat, and a light bitterness all lingering for a long gorgeous finish.

The mouth is pretty thick, ever so slightly syrupy, with low carbonation, but decent for the style.

Drinkability is surprisingly well, for being 10.7% and loaded with malts and sweetness, I expected a lot more boozy taste, and sticky finish, but it really had neither. The long finish is the only thing keeping me from drinking this fast, that and not getting drunk too fast.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours an orange copper clor with slight red hues not any head yet still a very nice looking beer.

Aromas: Lots of dried fruits rather pleasant.

Taste: A little tart but more towards to hoppy side medium bodied with hints of dried fruits and cherries.

Mouthfeel: Slightly bubbly.

Notes: A certainly unique style of beer very enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bomber, with label notch indicating "bottle conditioned in: 2008". poured into tulip.

very dark, ruby brown amber. gemstone clarity on the first two pours. lots of fluffy, yellow-tan head, fading to wisps and a foamy ring. first thin ring of lace sticks around, but afterwards the rest is sparse and splotchy.

sweet apple aromas, with caramel and cognac upfront, and moderate citrusy hops. faint note of cider or cider vinegar blending into more fruitiness in the end, reminiscent of cherries or even port wine.

bold flavors are similar to the aroma. caramel and apple, syrupy with fortified wine and brandy notes, then a quick flash of tartness, then back to piney, citrusy hops with a relatively bold but quick bitterness that doesn't linger too long, allowing lots of caramel maltiness to come forth instead.

medium body, hint of wateriness in the middle, but overall a nice light syrup feel with some resins in the finish. moderate carbonation helps simply to round things out and give a gentle edge. moments of smooth creaminess.

not as boozy as expected, which is nice. boldness of the flavors do limit the drinkability slightly however.

still, why don't brewers make more wheatwines? this is quite nice.

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful orange/peach/amber with a small head that lacked retention. Snail-paced bubbles takes a sloth's walk up the sides. I'm looking at this thinking "barley wine".

An enjoyable perfumey aroma permeates the nose. Candied apples, sour cherry, stale red wine, cotton candy, all pulling against the strong essence of wheat and the supple, light sting of the hops, which helps give an earthy balance to the candy-like aromas.

As unusual as the flavor is, there is one element here that I cannot shake: Twizzlers. Has that artificial cherry sweet-and-sour candylike Twizzlers flavor down pat. Hops bittering helps offset the sweetness, and there's further balance with a wheaty finish and a velvety smooth mouthfeel. Seemed like a strange flavor at first. Went from weird to existential to sublime in a matter of sips.

A rich, sweet, candy-like beer, I would rate the drinkability lower than I really want to, as it's a pretty dominating sweetness. And with such a high ABV (11%), this is clearly one for slow sipping on special occasions only. But its spirit and uniqueness is undeniable.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle conditioned in 2005.
Found two of these lonely boys at Stateline Liquors in Elkton, MD a couple months back...thank you to all those who passed it up.
A dark mahogany color with two full fingers of white head...a full finger remains for quite a while and what recedes leaves some decent lacing.
Very inviting aroma...candied fruit (cherries mostly), and carmelized malt.
The taste is quite warming...still a dominating hop profile, as the bitterness still wins out over the sweetness, but just barely. Citrus flavors abound, with even some melon showing up.
Alcohol is there, but only as it warms to room temperature and simply reminds you to respect this one.
Fairly thick mouthfeel and the carbonation is nice.
A fine time draining the bomber...can't wait for this years release to try side by side with this run.
Another great big beer from the folks at Smutty.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. Label says "Bottle Conditioned in 2005".

Pours a mostly clear copper with a very short lived head of off-white bubbles. The head drops to just a ring, with splotches of lacing on the glass. Carbonation looks slow.

Aroma is sweet and fruity, with faint notes of cherries or strawberries and some clean caramel. There is a soft aroma of earthy hops in the back. The smells of this beer are a little too faint, IMO.

The first flavor is sweet malt, with an interesting juiciness. Very yummy. There then is a pretty strong hop bitterness, along with a flavor of vodka soaked golden raisins. For all the sweetness present, there is a certain tartness in the aftertaste, I guess from the wheat. The aftertaste of this is absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with fairly soft carbonation. The finish has heat from alcohol, but it is well hidden.

This is a really good beer. When I get back to UJ's, I'm going to buy another. Every barleywine loving beer geek needs to try this!

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

So I really love Barley Wines. And I really love Wheat Beers. Oh yeah, and Smuttynose is one of my favorite breweries. How could I go wrong?

A- Dark ruby brown colored liquid filled my glass. Thick creamy off white head. Nice lacing. Dark but shiny beer.

S- Smell was malty and sweet with a lot of alcohol up front. Caramel sweet goodness and a hint of bitter hops.

T- Yes. I love this. Roasted caramel malts, hops, wheat, dried fruits, all wrapped into one. What?? Yes. This works. This is VERY good. Sweet and smooth up front, hop bitter bite at the end. Nicely done, nicely done. I love this style apparently.

M- Rich, syrupy, sticky, and somewhat creamy. Very filling but so tasty.

D- I drank this with pure ease just because the flavors were so great. Smuttynose has a big winner here. I need to seek out more wheat wines. This one is awesome.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

22oz. brown bomber with Bottle-conditioned in: 2008 2009 notched on the label and a bottling code stamped on the bottom of the bottle that reads: 071 A2 09:30. Poured into a chalice a dark cherry/copper with a finger of beige, short lasting foam. Mild carbonation and good clarity on initial pour.

The initial smell is rich, sweet malt, much like a liquid malt extract. As it warms, some fruitiness, spicy hops and alcohol show through. Nice aroma.

The taste starts with doughy rich malt that's sweet and almost chewy. The alcohol pushes through some fruit flavor and some spice from the hops, that balance things nicely. A grainy wheat finishes things with the alcohol getting the last word in. Overall a malt-bomb type of brew, but I really enjoy the flavor and the punch this brew has to offer. It's very much on the lines of a big English Barleywine...nothin' wrong with that.

Fairly big in body, that's rather chewy in taste, for the size of this brew, it goes down as easy as? Malted milk? I like it and would gladly have it again...cheers.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a hazy deep orange with an initial finger of head, that melts down to a nice lacing after a few minuets. The smell comes on strong of sweet malts and biscuit with a slight aroma of floral hops towards the end. The taste also starts strong and malty, but not overpowering even with the abv. The alcohol becomes present with the balanced finish. Overall one of my favorites from smutty. A solid mouthfeel, and quite drinkable.

Sampled an unlabeled 22 oz. bottle courtesy of a good friend at Smuttynose:

Feeling hot, hot, hot . . .

The Big Bad Brother of Smutty's Barleywine is the newest entry in the Big Beer series, and it is a doozy. The wheat wine drips with alcohol from the first sniff to the last sip. Its ruddy red complexion hides an onslaught of big, boozy flavors. Caramel, toffee, and vanilla peek out from the fusels and esters. A little rough around the edges, but it is a great sipping beer to lay down in the cellar and save for a cold blustery day in winter. I can picture it now . . . sitting by the fire with a snifter of wheat wine to warm up my insides. Don't miss this when it comes to a store near you. Buy a case or two or three.

Cheers to Smutty for pushing the envelope with their Big Beers!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled in 2005. I think blitheringidiot sent me this, thanks. Pours with an inch of foam, which quickly recedes, but leaves some nice lacing. Smells tart, and a little grassy.

I've kept this at 65-70 degrees since I got it over six months ago. This seems to have aged it quickly, judging from recent reviews. Tastes very wheaty, with none of the harshness I've found in other wheat wines. There is the slightest hint of strawberry/melon type fruit flavor, and no hint of the 10.7%ABV.

Full mouthfeel, with a long finish. This is the most drinkable wheat wine I have yet tasted.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

Live Review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Warehouse Beverage for $5.99 last Tuesday into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. "Bottle conditioned in" 2009 marked on the bottom left side of the label.

A Creamy very light brown head over a glowing orange, translucent body with plenty of sediment floating evenly about. Very good look indeed. 4.5

S Wheat based warmth of alcohol with some sweetness. 4.0

T Wheat grains with a fruitty, grape like sweetness along with the mentioned warmth of alcohol. The sweetness is an enjoyable aspect and I find it much more pleasing than the only other Wheatwine that I have tasted and rated, New Holland Pilgrim's Dole. 4.5

M This certainly is a "Big" beer with plenty of syrupy stickiness that is pleasing. The ABV elevates the feel as well. 4.0

D Very good for this level of ABV due to its inviting sweetness. The ABV would drive down the drinkability automatically for me. All of that being said, I finished the bomber without too much delay. 4.0

Notes: Smuttynose comes through again with an interesting, tasty beer. Bravo!

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

A delicious wheat wine, I would recommend this beer to anyone who has not given the wheat wine its due.

Picked up for $6 at Rodman's in DC, I found this beer to be a nice orange/amber color with a light head. Light for a wheat wine, but dark for an ale.

The smell was aromatic, sweet, and malty. Lightly spiced and well-balanced.

The taste was very good, with hints of goji berry, pear, winter wheat, and lightly-roasted hops. A wonderfully malty flavor that balanced well the sweet and the bitter.

The finish was subtle, despite the 11% ABV (why is it that Smuttynose never has the ABV printed on their labels?) and went down very well.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz bottle with multiple pours into a Chimay chalice.

Ive been searching for wheatwines lately and have always been eager to try this one. Love smuttys big stuff and this didn't dissapoint.

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Dark mahogany brown with no head at all, looks like a trappist quad if I didnt know any better.

S: Roasted sugars with not much in the way of wheat aromas. As it warmed, so much more came out and the honey was delicously inviting, honey/rum soaked raisins. Could sit back and smell this all night- they should make air fresheners out of this scent.

T: Sweetest of wheats with a ton of flavor. Butterschotch schapps flavor with a deep sweet caramel apple taste. Im sold on this one even though it was too sweet at first but rounded out well. Strong relation to those round dried apples you get from the bulk bins.

M: Very thick and heavy with an inviting burn from the abv.

D: This one has some balls but is a very tasty beer. To be able to easily have a beer of this strength in a wheatwine and have no problem with a big bottle says good things about drinkability.

I honestly dont catch the wheat portion of it, more notes of a barleywine, but doesnt mean I dont like it.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle into a snifter
Vintage 2012

A: Pours a clear apricot/dark cooper with only a sliver of light tan head that dissipates almost imediately and leaves effectively zero lacing. It looks like a bourbon or some other spirit as it sits in the glass. Very pretty color though.

S: Lots of sweetness with candied sugar and vinous fruits. There is also a tart, apple-like component; in a way its reminiscent of apple cider. Some booze, a bit of caramel/toffee. Its very unique but I really dig it.

T: Like the nose its sweetness forward, with candied sugar and caramel/toffee. There are also some hop characters including citrus rind and bitterness. Some burnt, almost char-like characters. Flavor is more traditional barleywine-esque than the aroma. Again, I like it a lot.

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation very low but it actually works well for this particular beer that almost drinks like a spirit. Gives a whole body warming sensation. ABV is present but not overwhelming, and its not hot at all. Drinkability is good.

O: Overall, I was a big fan of this one. The price was great too. I plan to buy a few more of these.

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company