Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Wheatwine |  10.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-13-2005

Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale is a unique hybridization of two well-known beer styles, combining the rich, voluptuous taste of a traditional barleywine with the subtle, tart flavors of an American wheat ale, topped off with a healthy dose of crisp, herbaceous hops.

2007 - 11.4%
2008 - 10.3%
2009 - 11.4%
2010 - 12.0%
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

2009 Bottle

A - Pours golden amber with a thin, white, bubbly head. Retention settles to a skim with slippery lacing.

S - Sweet smelling with a boozy quality. Some fruity qualities with hints of something that almost smells like cherries.

T&M - A very "big" feeling beer; with a fluffy quality characteristic of having a good dose of wheat. Sweet and fruity flavored alcohol is palatable. Carbonation is very minimal, but the alcohol combined with a light hop presence cuts through the thick malt and sweetness a bit. Malts are heavy feeling, and take on a sugary-sweet, caramel and honey type quality.

D - This is a thick, sweet, big beer, but very tasty and enjoyable. A sipper for sure, but delicious and complex.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Pour yields very little off white head, tiny ring stays. The beer is a pretty auburn red. Dark, but well filtered and clear. Slowly rising bubbles up the glass.

S- Big whiffs produce great notes of caramel, toffee, and vanilla. Definitely has the barleywine character. There are hints of wheat in the back which may indicate a balanced flavor. And last but not least a earthy hop presence.

T- Sweet molasses with a candy sweetness greets the taste and flows into vanilla. The hops provide a bit of bitterness to add some balance, but any wheat is almost non-existent. Alcoholic presence and heat felt in the aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied brew with low carbonation. The heat from the booze makes this a sipper. I find myself smacking my lips more and more as the beer appears to get sweeter as it goes.

O- A decent brew. To me it's pretty much all barleywine, though it's only my second example of the style, and the Founders style version I had first rocked my frigging socks off. I think this would be interesting aged in oak, but would get way to hot in a bourbon barrel. Worth picking up.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a stone nonic. I actually can't quite remember who sent this to me but whoever you are thank you for the sweet extra.

A: Pours with a late-coming head. Mostly a raisin brown with some grenadine-red hues. Little to no lacing.

S: Very sweet, dark fruits with a little hops and some sting from alcohol. The dark fruit is so sweet and over the top it's more doppelbock-ish than a barley wine to me, not sure what to think.

T: Very nice. Hops and a wheat tinge come up front and fall away to reveal a deep, sweet wave of dark fruits that peaks with a tad of alcohol and some traces of the hops and wheat. You really get a little of everything in this beer; a lot of good characteristics from a variety of distinct styles.

M: Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery, but I'd say the taste makes up for it.

O: When I noticed the hop-centric side of the beer I decided to drink it now instead of aging it but now I have some wonders. Certainly some carbonation would help this beer but in any case I'd like to try this with a year or two on it some time. Well worth picking up a bottle of this if you can.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.
bottle conditioned in 2008.

Pours a very cloudy orange amber with a one finger off white head that settles quickly. Aromas of alcohol, wheat, caramel and dark cherry. Caramel and alcohol up front with some raisin, cherry, and lemon in the middle with a chocolate finish. Medium carbonation, medium to full body, starts out creamy and ends slightly chalky and dry. Solid drinkability for a 10.7% beer. Great mix of flavors.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.34/5  rDev -13.2%

Got this bottle at the Common Market in Charlotte.
Appearance is very nice. A smooth amber body that's fairly transparent and filled with nice small sediment. A thin lightly colored head tops the body off.
Smell is of sweet wheat, caramel and toasted malt.
Taste is similar in smell but with slight vanilla clove mix and a little bit of alcohol ring.
A very good standard of wheatwine and a pleasant beer to enjoy with a large array of beer appreciaters.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

Pours a handsome mahogany/ruby-red color, small tan head fades into a thin collar around the beer, and some interesting swirls of foam in the center of the snifter. Smell is heavy with caramel, almost syrupy sweet smells, faint citrus hop aroma. Smell is big and dangerous. I believe one previous review referred to caramel apples when describing the taste, and I couldn't agree more. Big juicy apple-flesh flavors, warming alcohol, and some bitter grapefruit on the back of the tongue. Velvety-smooth & thick, very very sticky, mouth-coating flavors, lingering spice/bitterness/alcohol burn. A sipper, for sure. Delicious beer from Smuttynose.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Shuffling through my weekly beer allotment for something that pairs well with a ripe Bosc pear and some high quality, creamy blue cheese, I found this bottle. Poured into a snifter, revealing deep gold clear body (it's well-rested, later pours turned up some yeasties) with rose hues and a minimal, fast-dissipating head. For what it is, appearance is not bad. Smells malty and alcoholically strong like a barleywine and a little fruity from hops.

Tastes equally strong with some serious alcohol presence for about 11%. Hops are noticeable in there with a persistent vinous character and bitterness. Body is a light medium, but isn't as soft as I'd expect for something with half wheat. The harsher mouthfeel could be because of the alcohol cutting through. Carbonation is mild and tingly. Drinkability is about the same as your run of the mill barleywine.

All in all, a fun one to try and a decent bottle to split. Especially with pears and cheese.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. Bomber Bottled Conditioned in 2006

Pours a nice amber-orange in color with a slightly off-white head that was initially about an 1/8" but disappeared almost immediately. Smell is cirtusy, hoppy, malts, wheat, and maybe molasses. Taste is ok, earthy and citrusy hop presence followed by some malts, and some alcohol. Good mouthfeel, nice full body and a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is ok. The high alcohol content definitely makes this a sipper but overall I'm not really impressed. The taste just really doesn't do too much for me. I'm unable to really detect enough wheat here to call this a wheat wine. That being said I'd drink this again but won't go out of my way to do so.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into a mighty wine glass. No seriously, this is the Thor of wine glasses.... all other wine glasses kneel before its awesome power. But enough of that.

Pours a gorgeous ruby hue. The head, however... despite my vigorous pour, it was smallish... maybe 1/2", and quickly disipated to nearly nothing.

Boozy warmth comes through in the nose, along with a generous dollop of hops. While the malt tries to come through, it just gets surpressed by the other two characteristics. Not too shabby, but nothing spectacular either.

Quite an interesting flavor. Really like nothing I've ever tasted. There is the dry wheatiness which is only emphasized by the bitterness of the hops. The malt really comes through more in the flavour than the nose would suggest.Some fruity esters brought forward by the alcohol. Yes.. I have decided... I quite like this style, or at the very least this example of the style.

Big full mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation. But really, its the carbonation that does the puckering of the tongue. Spot on.

While it is drinkable for the abv, I still wouldn't call it immensely drinkable (although that is truely a difficult feat for a 10.7% brew. Nevertheless, I will have no problem finishing off this bomber... could I have another in one sitting? Hmm....

All in all... a well put together beer from Smuttynose.... congrats.

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured a rich cognac-colored orange-amber into a snifter. Produced a very thin film of a head which vanished very quickly, though each movement of the liquid left a lacing ring on the side of the glass.

Smell is very malty sweet -- honey, molasses, candy sugar -- with strong whiffs of alcohol as well.

Taste was also very sweet -- almost cloyingly so. Again, honey, molasses, sugar. Counteracted by a strong hoppiness that had a rather harsh, medicinal finish. It does mellow quite a bit as it warms -- or maybe I'm mellowing a bit. Even so, I'm not crazy about the harsh, pharmaceutical aftertaste sticking like superglue to the roof of my mouth.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a bit of a bite from the hops. I love the way it feels. Drinkability is also pretty good for something that's almost 11 ABV. I'm done with the first glass and I'm still coherent.

Not sure I'd get this again if SN Bigfoot or Anchor Old Foghorn is available. But it's a pretty decent drink for later in a chilly evening when winding down with a book and some music (for me right now it's actually the Boston Globe and Billie Holliday). And it's not a bad price.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%

2010 Vintage.

A- Pale copper body some yellow highlights hardly any head.

S- Sweet and bitter almost like an American IPA, theres citric sweetness in there namely orange and some pineapples.

T- Bitter hops, sweet malts lots of fluffy bready wheat character, this would do better with age to dull the hops and have the sweet character more pronounced.

M- Full foamy and fluffy, definitely a strong point to this brew.

D- A decent brew overall not something to quaff but tasty nonetheless.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

This one I pour into my Smutty Big Beer glass...do you have one??

The nose on this one is sweet and caramelly...?? It even has some of the boozy notes resembling wine....hops to back it up...

Taste is quite acute...hoppy and sticky sweet from teh top and it does not mellow as the sip progresses. Alcohol gets magnified as this one goes down though it never gets out of hand. This beer is terrific and I probably should have let this sit for a year before reviewing for it to to get a really high score...

This one is great - and for those who think not...DO buy another and sit it around for 6 months to a year.

G

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Copper like an old penny, the head fizzes for a cover and then fades to the side. Though to some extent a wine, I expect foods and beverages associated with wheat to resemble the golden, straw-like vegetation to which I'm accustomed. This looks like some sorta imperial amber.

Smells like a barleywine. Had I not known better, it'd be a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. I guess the 50+% makes it a wheatwine, but there's plenty of barley in this sucker. Like a Bigfoot, this smells like it might need some mellowing.

Though I'm increasing my exposure to wheatwines, it tastes like a barleywine! What gives? It's thick and, as I skip into mouthfeel, I chew its ingredients. There's a bite in the aftertaste I identify as wheat, but I just don't really know what to make of this beverage. Its density is its lasting impression! I've read a lot of reviews that make mention of leather, and here I am drinking this with thought bubbles of belts and boots! Where would that even come from? Fuck brandy--I could see a St. Bernard holding this Smuttynose Wheatwine in a barrel around his neck. Might not do much to nourish a dehydrated hypothermic, but it could certainly help numb the pain! This brew tastes even stronger than its 10.70%, thereby hampering its drinkability. Though not tops among my inaugural escapades into wheatwines, it's definitely memorable.

3.02/5  rDev -21.6%

light copper color with a quick tan head

strong malt aroma, sweet and light.

tastes strong and sweet, a bit hot with earthy hop flavor.

full body is thick and chewy

well carbonated but little head

not the most drinkable beer, too cloying and strong and out of balance.

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Raw light brown color, very little head or lacing. Looks more like wine than beer.

S - Wheat! Haha. Also caramel malts and alcohol.

T - Tastes like caramel and bread with a lot of alcohol. I'd drink this with desert after a big meal.

M - Very little carbonation, form of the sip is the same when it's swalllowed as when it enters the mouth. Almost buttery. Actually, very buttery.

D - A slow sipper. Pretty delicious in a desert kind of way. I don't know if I've ever consumed a beer with more malt and sweetness in it. It's kind of like drinking butterscotch. Interesting.

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company