Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Wheatwine |  10.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale is a unique hybridization of two well-known beer styles, combining the rich, voluptuous taste of a traditional barleywine with the subtle, tart flavors of an American wheat ale, topped off with a healthy dose of crisp, herbaceous hops.

2007 - 11.4%
2008 - 10.3%
2009 - 11.4%
2010 - 12.0%

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-13-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -13%

Got this bottle at the Common Market in Charlotte.
Appearance is very nice. A smooth amber body that's fairly transparent and filled with nice small sediment. A thin lightly colored head tops the body off.
Smell is of sweet wheat, caramel and toasted malt.
Taste is similar in smell but with slight vanilla clove mix and a little bit of alcohol ring.
A very good standard of wheatwine and a pleasant beer to enjoy with a large array of beer appreciaters.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a handsome mahogany/ruby-red color, small tan head fades into a thin collar around the beer, and some interesting swirls of foam in the center of the snifter. Smell is heavy with caramel, almost syrupy sweet smells, faint citrus hop aroma. Smell is big and dangerous. I believe one previous review referred to caramel apples when describing the taste, and I couldn't agree more. Big juicy apple-flesh flavors, warming alcohol, and some bitter grapefruit on the back of the tongue. Velvety-smooth & thick, very very sticky, mouth-coating flavors, lingering spice/bitterness/alcohol burn. A sipper, for sure. Delicious beer from Smuttynose.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

Shuffling through my weekly beer allotment for something that pairs well with a ripe Bosc pear and some high quality, creamy blue cheese, I found this bottle. Poured into a snifter, revealing deep gold clear body (it's well-rested, later pours turned up some yeasties) with rose hues and a minimal, fast-dissipating head. For what it is, appearance is not bad. Smells malty and alcoholically strong like a barleywine and a little fruity from hops.

Tastes equally strong with some serious alcohol presence for about 11%. Hops are noticeable in there with a persistent vinous character and bitterness. Body is a light medium, but isn't as soft as I'd expect for something with half wheat. The harsher mouthfeel could be because of the alcohol cutting through. Carbonation is mild and tingly. Drinkability is about the same as your run of the mill barleywine.

All in all, a fun one to try and a decent bottle to split. Especially with pears and cheese.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. Bomber Bottled Conditioned in 2006

Pours a nice amber-orange in color with a slightly off-white head that was initially about an 1/8" but disappeared almost immediately. Smell is cirtusy, hoppy, malts, wheat, and maybe molasses. Taste is ok, earthy and citrusy hop presence followed by some malts, and some alcohol. Good mouthfeel, nice full body and a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is ok. The high alcohol content definitely makes this a sipper but overall I'm not really impressed. The taste just really doesn't do too much for me. I'm unable to really detect enough wheat here to call this a wheat wine. That being said I'd drink this again but won't go out of my way to do so.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a mighty wine glass. No seriously, this is the Thor of wine glasses.... all other wine glasses kneel before its awesome power. But enough of that.

Pours a gorgeous ruby hue. The head, however... despite my vigorous pour, it was smallish... maybe 1/2", and quickly disipated to nearly nothing.

Boozy warmth comes through in the nose, along with a generous dollop of hops. While the malt tries to come through, it just gets surpressed by the other two characteristics. Not too shabby, but nothing spectacular either.

Quite an interesting flavor. Really like nothing I've ever tasted. There is the dry wheatiness which is only emphasized by the bitterness of the hops. The malt really comes through more in the flavour than the nose would suggest.Some fruity esters brought forward by the alcohol. Yes.. I have decided... I quite like this style, or at the very least this example of the style.

Big full mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation. But really, its the carbonation that does the puckering of the tongue. Spot on.

While it is drinkable for the abv, I still wouldn't call it immensely drinkable (although that is truely a difficult feat for a 10.7% brew. Nevertheless, I will have no problem finishing off this bomber... could I have another in one sitting? Hmm....

All in all... a well put together beer from Smuttynose.... congrats.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a rich cognac-colored orange-amber into a snifter. Produced a very thin film of a head which vanished very quickly, though each movement of the liquid left a lacing ring on the side of the glass.

Smell is very malty sweet -- honey, molasses, candy sugar -- with strong whiffs of alcohol as well.

Taste was also very sweet -- almost cloyingly so. Again, honey, molasses, sugar. Counteracted by a strong hoppiness that had a rather harsh, medicinal finish. It does mellow quite a bit as it warms -- or maybe I'm mellowing a bit. Even so, I'm not crazy about the harsh, pharmaceutical aftertaste sticking like superglue to the roof of my mouth.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a bit of a bite from the hops. I love the way it feels. Drinkability is also pretty good for something that's almost 11 ABV. I'm done with the first glass and I'm still coherent.

Not sure I'd get this again if SN Bigfoot or Anchor Old Foghorn is available. But it's a pretty decent drink for later in a chilly evening when winding down with a book and some music (for me right now it's actually the Boston Globe and Billie Holliday). And it's not a bad price.

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

2010 Vintage.

A- Pale copper body some yellow highlights hardly any head.

S- Sweet and bitter almost like an American IPA, theres citric sweetness in there namely orange and some pineapples.

T- Bitter hops, sweet malts lots of fluffy bready wheat character, this would do better with age to dull the hops and have the sweet character more pronounced.

M- Full foamy and fluffy, definitely a strong point to this brew.

D- A decent brew overall not something to quaff but tasty nonetheless.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

This one I pour into my Smutty Big Beer glass...do you have one??

The nose on this one is sweet and caramelly...?? It even has some of the boozy notes resembling wine....hops to back it up...

Taste is quite acute...hoppy and sticky sweet from teh top and it does not mellow as the sip progresses. Alcohol gets magnified as this one goes down though it never gets out of hand. This beer is terrific and I probably should have let this sit for a year before reviewing for it to to get a really high score...

This one is great - and for those who think not...DO buy another and sit it around for 6 months to a year.

G

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Copper like an old penny, the head fizzes for a cover and then fades to the side. Though to some extent a wine, I expect foods and beverages associated with wheat to resemble the golden, straw-like vegetation to which I'm accustomed. This looks like some sorta imperial amber.

Smells like a barleywine. Had I not known better, it'd be a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. I guess the 50+% makes it a wheatwine, but there's plenty of barley in this sucker. Like a Bigfoot, this smells like it might need some mellowing.

Though I'm increasing my exposure to wheatwines, it tastes like a barleywine! What gives? It's thick and, as I skip into mouthfeel, I chew its ingredients. There's a bite in the aftertaste I identify as wheat, but I just don't really know what to make of this beverage. Its density is its lasting impression! I've read a lot of reviews that make mention of leather, and here I am drinking this with thought bubbles of belts and boots! Where would that even come from? Fuck brandy--I could see a St. Bernard holding this Smuttynose Wheatwine in a barrel around his neck. Might not do much to nourish a dehydrated hypothermic, but it could certainly help numb the pain! This brew tastes even stronger than its 10.70%, thereby hampering its drinkability. Though not tops among my inaugural escapades into wheatwines, it's definitely memorable.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

4.08/5  rDev +6%

A - Raw light brown color, very little head or lacing. Looks more like wine than beer.

S - Wheat! Haha. Also caramel malts and alcohol.

T - Tastes like caramel and bread with a lot of alcohol. I'd drink this with desert after a big meal.

M - Very little carbonation, form of the sip is the same when it's swalllowed as when it enters the mouth. Almost buttery. Actually, very buttery.

D - A slow sipper. Pretty delicious in a desert kind of way. I don't know if I've ever consumed a beer with more malt and sweetness in it. It's kind of like drinking butterscotch. Interesting.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Pretty powerful stuff, 22oz bottle. Pours a deep orange color. My nose is stuffed up but can taste well. What I do taste? Hops galore, very citrusy is flavor, slight alcohol warmth balanced by the hops. Mouthfeel is really nice. Not something you can knock back one after the other but something to enjoy over a long period of time. That's what I'm doing here!! :)

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

A: poured from a large bottle into a beer stein. Tons of foam though it didn't last long. Cloudy, ruddy amber in color.

S: honey (orange blossom?), with strong floral notes. Some wheat specific aromas (eg banana ester) are among them.

T: sweet and malty, similar to a barleywine. Not otherwise familiar with this variety. Pleasant, but complexity is kinda overwhelmed by the booze.

M: effervescent and clean. Typical strong ale. ABV helps here, giving it an oily coat.

D: definitely feel the ABV -- not in a bad way. Enjoyed all 22oz but probably wouldn't order a second back-to-back.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a hazy copper-amber color under a thick bone white head which fades quickly to a thin film. No lacing noted.

Immediate sweet aromas of buckwheat honey, dark brown sugar, green apples, fresh wheat bread, spices and ethanol greet the nostrils.

Pleasant subdued carbonation resulted in a smooth, full-bodied, creamy mouthfeel.

Flavors were sweet and almost a tad cloying but the big alcohol content cuts it down nicely. Notes of caramel apples, almonds, brown sugar, butterscotch, and fresh baked wheat rolls coat the palate.

As sweet as this brew is it serves up a big kick with a warming finish. Definitely a sipper.

light copper color with a quick tan head

strong malt aroma, sweet and light.

tastes strong and sweet, a bit hot with earthy hop flavor.

full body is thick and chewy

well carbonated but little head

not the most drinkable beer, too cloying and strong and out of balance.

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Has a small, almost non-existent head. Murky, deep red colored beer.

S - Complex aroma filled with dark malts, intense raisin, port wine, floral hops and cherries. Smells absolutely amazing!

T - A lot of the raisin and port wine characteristics as in the smell, but not as intense. Has all the flavor of a high gravity beer but definite wheat quality as well.

M/D - This drinks like any respectable barley-wine. Wheatwine is my new favorite style, for sure!

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

If this were available on a regular basis, I’d probably be waking up at the end of the line more often. It’s delicious and it it’s dangerously drinkable. They were pouring this at the Blind Tiger for their SmuttFest. It pours a reddish amber, and ¾ of an inch of head left some chunky lacing on the glass. The nose is intense – a base of heavy caramel malts, with some tangy fruits and alcohol to brighten things up. At first, this tastes a lot like a barleywine, but then these sweet grains emerge to mask the alcohol, and the finish is a nice blend of tangy and bitter, which makes this go down super easily for something with this high ABV. Despite the big full body, carbonation and a tangy bitter finish keep this remarkably light in the mouth. Dangerously drinkable, as they say.

4.35/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a Pabst chalice.

Whoa, this looks like apple cider! Deep amber in color and very murky. No head to speak of and no lacing. Sediment is very present throughout the glass. I actually like it, but I can see how its appearance would turn some off.

Smells like a barleywine. Sweet, buttery, and citrus hop notes are present in the nose.

First sip is warm on the tongue, buttery and inviting. Malts dominate here along with notes of caramel and some faint bitterness in the finish. I hate to keep harping on this aspect of the beer, but the buttery flavor seems to persist all the way through, and I love it.

Rounding out the flavor is a mild heat that I can only classify as acceptable. However, Smuttynose has really won me over with this one. They've really managed to create a "big" beer with a mildness that can be enjoyed by many and a robustness exalted by few.

4.9/5  rDev +27.3%

Presentation - Poured into Chimay glass

Appearance - Poured a dark copper color with white head not well retained

Smell - Alcohol and assorted fruits, pear, apricot, apples, kiwis

Taste - I taste a lot of bananas and tart cherries

Mouthfeel - Medium to full body

Drinkability - Meal in a glass

Overall - A great offering

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Wow - just one of these bad boys will put you on your ass. So 10" of snow was a good day for this.

A: Looks like cold apple cider - sparce but cloudy. No head, perhaps because of the St. Bernadus chalice (thanks Nick).

S: Alcohol. Oh yeah. Lots of citrus in there - i got some tartness, maybe grapefruit.

T: This is a complicated one. I felt that it was too sharp. Needed perhaps some more malts to balance it out, maybe even some hops. I think the alcohol is a bit too strong, leaving solely the sweet citrusy residue. Definitely some strong english barley wine in here.

M: A bit too light for my taste. The alcohol i feel overshadows the complexities of the wheat.

D: This is actually wehre I think the beer fails. I had trouble getting through the bomber - which is totally not like me. It is sort of like a mediocre scotch, in that you can get down a few ounces, but after that it's just too much.

Glad I had this beer. Definitely an interesting introduction to the style, and it wasn't all bad. I enjoyed sipping it for a few hrs this cold afternoon. But I would like to try some different interpretations of the style in the future.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

22 oz bomber purchased from Vidalia in Lansdale. I had tried this before, but only in sips from a friend's bottle, so i decided to give it a proper go-around and bought one for myself. Bottle conditioned in 2007. Poured into a snifter.

Only slightly hazy reddish-orange color, minimal off-white head that does manage to stick around and even left a bit of lacing, which is suprising considering how little foam there was to begin with.

Smell is pretty boozy. This one could be 6 months old or 18 months old, not sure because the dating is so imprecise, but this one is anything but mellow. Big fruity esters, some hops (described as 'herbaceous' on the label), but mostly alcohol. This one kind of just smells like a barleywine to me.

Taste is similar, noticeble malt contribution but far from sweet or sugary--this one is dryer than most barleywines, which I find to be a ncie change of pace. Even still the taste is dominated by alcohol and the classic barleywine type fruit esters.

Mouthfeel is medium with modest carbonation--pretty enjoyable actually and the alcohol certainly warmed up my belly.

Drinkability is moderate, this one is almost 11% and is certainly not hiding that (from me, at least). I couldn't finish the bottle (couldn't even finish half, actually), so I put it in the fridge to enjoy a little later and probably into tomorrow. Under the right circumstances I could certainly finish one bomber by myself in a night, but I wouldn't be very sober afterwards.

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company