Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Wheatwine |  10.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-13-2005

Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale is a unique hybridization of two well-known beer styles, combining the rich, voluptuous taste of a traditional barleywine with the subtle, tart flavors of an American wheat ale, topped off with a healthy dose of crisp, herbaceous hops.

2007 - 11.4%
2008 - 10.3%
2009 - 11.4%
2010 - 12.0%
2014 - 10.8%
3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

This was bottled in 2010.

A - A deep red color. Almost looks like a light brown shoe... it's a nice color. Very, very cloudy, which would make sense for the style. Not very carbonated at all. Wondering if this needed to sit a bit longer.
S - Boozy, sweet. Some fruit, maybe golden raisins. Don't get a lot more out of the aroma. The muted carbonation prevents a lot of aroma from coming through.
T - Interesting. It's a strong beer for sure. All raisin, fig, dried apricot. No yeast character. There's some hop bitterness, but this is mostly malt. Don't get a lot of wheat character either. I actually don't taste a lot of alcohol in there, and not incredibly warming going down.
M - It's numbing on the lips from the alcohol. Very light carbonation, but the rest of the feel is very heavy, I think maybe a little too heavy for this style.
O - I think this is a fairly good beer, but not very drinkable and not very unique. Think of a barleywine with muted hop character and you pretty much have this beer. I can see more wheat than I can taste. (1,048 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A - pours a pretty orange with a small head
S - Citrus, earthy musty hops, plum and apple skins, some caramel and booze
T - Sweet malt caramel flavor and booze right off the bat. Citrus crispness that may be wheat as well. the booze stays along for the ride. Hints of other fruits as well.
M - Medium body with a decent smooth carbonation
O - While not my favorite, was not bad and I could appeciate the way it was made and the complexity of flavors, however it was too boozey for me. (484 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a dark, nearly opaque reddish/orange color. A bubbly white head is slow to form, but quick to fade, Not much lace.
S: A big sweetness and alcohol punch. Caramel is big, dried figs, raisins. No wheat to be seen.
T: Follows the nose. To much sweetness up front. Caramel and sticky toffee. That is about it besides the alcohol punch.
M/D: A medium to full body. Very low carbonation. Sticky and syrupy. This is not easy to drink. To much sweetness and alcohol to be enjoyable.

Urg, another overly sweet and overly boozy mess. Not something I enjoy, and not something I would recommend. (592 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -37.1%

2009 22oz bottle into a Hill Farmstead Tulip glass.

Fallen Autumn Leaf maroon with some ruby red highlights when back towards the light. Shades of orange intertwine. A stealth pour yielded almost an inch of brown sugar colored foam that dissipated, no lace, becomes dead.

Smell is very one sided at this point in the game, everything is all but stripped from this except a heaping of caramel that is pungent. A whiff of booze. The wheat is dead, toffee remains. smells like an average B-Wine at this point.

Taste is one sided and well, it's dead. Not much to say with this one. The efferveset flower that is used is gone as well as the wheat. Caramel is large and in charge, not much wiggle room here. After a while some fruity pebble taste comes out and wrecks me. Im pretty much drinking this as a awkward homebrewed barleywine with a lot of heat.

The heat grabs the mouth and stirs the degrees up. some sips drown that out but up front this is some hot stuff. A coating texture with an above medium grip. Carb is all but lost after the time went by.

I know Smutty makes good beer so im going to get a freshie to compare. I am going to review this aged bottle as is though and say that it lost pretty much everything. This is one to drink fresh, since the heat did not die one bit. (1,288 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

I am reviewing a 2010 version, in a bomber.

A- a pleasant, fairly clear amber color. Very little to no head. Very little lacing. Not a terribly remarkable appearance

S- Not a lot to smell here. Its very surprising that it isn't very boozy, and it gets points for that. It looses points, though, for not having any good hop aromas. I know it isn't an IPA, but some hoppiness to balance out the caramel would be nice. That said, the brown sugar/ caramel aroma is nice.

T- It is about like I expected. It is rich, syrupy, but also wheat-y. The wheat flavor makes it significantly more drinkable than a typical barleywine. The boozyness comes through on the back end, but I rather like a little of that

M- Best part of the beer, in my opinion. Rich and syrupy, with a good wheat flavor as well. Very nice to drink on a crisp late fall day like today

O- I like this beer. I wish it balanced the syrupiness out a little more, but it is very good for what it is. I think it would be good to let it sit on the shelf for a few years. You'd get more flavors out of it and it will definitely stand the test of time. I have had a little less than half the bottle by now in the review, and I am getting a little tipsy already. On second thought, I should've split the bottle with someone. I'm going to go take a nap. Cheers! (1,316 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

I've been sitting on this bottle for nearly a year and have been looking forward to cracking it open.

A - Pours a clear amber (deep orange/red color), no head, small traces of carbonation, and a super thin ring of lacing. The beer clings to the side of the snifter like syrup and slowly oozes back down into the glass as it's swirled.

S - Toffee, caramel, light molasses, and boozy rum. Smells like a strong ale or barley wine.

T - With the first sip my mouth is slammed with heavy fusel and booze which heat the throat on the way down. At least from the first few sips, the alcohol presence is so distinct and so aggressive that it drowns out any flavors initially, it's all I can focus on. After several sips when my palette finally makes the adjustment, subtle flavors emerge: oak, roasted toffee and caramel, light pine and grapefruit bitterness, and slight hints of maple.

M - Thick, full bodied, and syrupy.

O - Very sweet and boozy. I probably should have opened this after I bought it, or better yet, should have purchased a few bottles and opened them over time to compare the changes as it ages. I really enjoy the beers from Smuttynose and always look forward to my next glass from them. This is a brewery that doesn't get enough love here on BA! This particular bottle is a total sipper, it tastes bigger than 10.7% and will creep up on you very quickly so take your time and enjoy. (1,399 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled in 2009. Pours slightly hazy red orange color with a small fairly dense light khaki head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap of lace. Small patches of lacing clinging to the glass. Aromas of big caramel, molasses, banana, orange zest, clove, spices, and a bit of booze. Very nice and balanced aromas. Taste of big caramel, banana, molasses, citrus, light fruits, light vanilla, spices, and maple syrup. No real amount of bitterness noticed on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, light fruits, molasses, and spices on the finish for a bit. Medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a very creamy and smooth mouthfeel. Alcohol is well hidden with only a warming on the finish noticed. Great balance of flavors, the alcohol definitely cleans the palate with every sip and doesn’t detract from the flavor profile at all. Nice drinkability but it is still a sipper. Overall this is a damn nice wheat wine that is very enjoyable and smooth for the level of alcohol. (1,025 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Deep copper and clear with virtually no head. Forced the pour a little in order to get a slight half layer of tan foaminess that left only slight lacing.

S - Sweet molasses with a little bit of zing. The longer I breathe it in, the more the molasses takes a bit of a caramel turn.

T - Bright sweetness in the form of a caramel taste with a little hint of banana flavored candy. Maybe a little bit of heat towards the end, but a slightly metallic flavor is running around at the finish as well.

M - Not a ton of body in this medium carbonated beer. Aftertaste takes on a bitterness similar to the aftertaste of cough syrup.

O - Guess I just wasn't wowed by this. I love American Barleywines, but this takes on a bit of a different direction. Not having a hop presence results in more of a syrupy concoction in my opinion. There was depth in the taste, but not very much diversity. (887 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pour yields very little off white head, tiny ring stays. The beer is a pretty auburn red. Dark, but well filtered and clear. Slowly rising bubbles up the glass.

S- Big whiffs produce great notes of caramel, toffee, and vanilla. Definitely has the barleywine character. There are hints of wheat in the back which may indicate a balanced flavor. And last but not least a earthy hop presence.

T- Sweet molasses with a candy sweetness greets the taste and flows into vanilla. The hops provide a bit of bitterness to add some balance, but any wheat is almost non-existent. Alcoholic presence and heat felt in the aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied brew with low carbonation. The heat from the booze makes this a sipper. I find myself smacking my lips more and more as the beer appears to get sweeter as it goes.

O- A decent brew. To me it's pretty much all barleywine, though it's only my second example of the style, and the Founders style version I had first rocked my frigging socks off. I think this would be interesting aged in oak, but would get way to hot in a bourbon barrel. Worth picking up. (1,099 characters)

Straight pour from 22oz pry-off bomber to my Duvel tulip; “Bottle-conditioned in: 2010” notched on the side of the label.

Appearance (4.0): Light tan head, starting with two fingers and fading to a ring around the edge of the glass and a haze on the beer surface. Body is a deep, deep amber with ruby highlights, a full haze in the body but not opaque. Just a bit of lacing, contributing some spots on the side that stick around. Very, very pretty beer.

Smell (4.0): Warm, sweet caramel and that smell of overripe stone fruit that comes with a bit of oxidization. Not bad, a little unimpressive at first but as it warms the nose becomes more floral, believe it or not—and not light and breezy kind of floral, but almost a rich, deep sort of floral note. Actually improves a bit as it warms.

Taste (4.0): What I love about wheat wines is they’re not what you expect. The sweet caramel and stone fruit I picked up on in the nose is much, much lighter here, and are a overpowered a bit by some booze. There’s a surprisingly sharp finish that feels like a combination of alcohol and some grassy, albeit faded, hops. Mid-palate is a little more fruity, brighter than the nose, and thankfully no real sign of the oxidized character I got in the nose, either. Almost a leathery undertone in there. There’s also something like tangy, fresh grapes underneath this light, sweet caramel malt body. Can’t pick up on much yeast note, the booze is a bit strong but I’m not complaining on that front—matches the mouthfeel nicely.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Syrupy, medium-to-full bodied; some prickly carbonation matches a mild alcohol burn nicely here. I like it.

Overall (4.0): I’m a fan. Smuttynose Wheat Wine was the first I ever had of the style, a few years ago when I was still pretty fresh in the craft beer world. I really want to try this fresh, and also with 2-3 years on it, to compare to where it’s at right now—frankly I didn’t even realize this was aged about 10 months because I kept waiting for a good reason to open it. Either way, I like it the way it is now, and while it’s not for everyone (as I think is common to the style in general), this is my idea of a non-IS sipper. Warm, fruity, rich, and boozy. (2,237 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a stone nonic. I actually can't quite remember who sent this to me but whoever you are thank you for the sweet extra.

A: Pours with a late-coming head. Mostly a raisin brown with some grenadine-red hues. Little to no lacing.

S: Very sweet, dark fruits with a little hops and some sting from alcohol. The dark fruit is so sweet and over the top it's more doppelbock-ish than a barley wine to me, not sure what to think.

T: Very nice. Hops and a wheat tinge come up front and fall away to reveal a deep, sweet wave of dark fruits that peaks with a tad of alcohol and some traces of the hops and wheat. You really get a little of everything in this beer; a lot of good characteristics from a variety of distinct styles.

M: Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery, but I'd say the taste makes up for it.

O: When I noticed the hop-centric side of the beer I decided to drink it now instead of aging it but now I have some wonders. Certainly some carbonation would help this beer but in any case I'd like to try this with a year or two on it some time. Well worth picking up a bottle of this if you can. (1,115 characters)

Draft to snifter. Looks good; however, this is my first review of a wheat wine, so this portion of the review is somewhat arbitrary. Smell is good. Very similar to a barleywine. The taste is where it differentiates itself from a BW. Not better, not worse; just different, and refreshingly so. Much more candied up front. And throughout, for that matter. I like it. The mouthfeel is good too, especially for a big beer. I couldn't do too many of them because of how candied they are, but it's a nice alternative to a big beer. (525 characters)

2009 vintage. Pours from the 22oz. bomber a dark amber color with a small off-white head that quickly vanishes. Lots of fizz in the head, but little evidence of any carbonation inside the glass. Thee aroma is quite similar to apple juice, in fact it's almost identical. 1st sip brings a semi-sweet taste of fruit (apples, raisins, plums, bananas) with a soft hint of alcohol. The alcohol is somewhat understated, perhaps due to 2 years of aging. Mouthfeel is kind of on the thick, syrupy side, but not in a bad way IMHO. Halfway through the first pouring and I can already start to feel the 11% alcohol starting to sneak up on me! The muting of the alcohol from aging makes the drinkability high. Overall, this is quite a tasty, satisfying beverage. I'll have to pick up a replacement now, but I don't know if I can wait 2 years to sample it! (842 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. 2009 vintage received in a trade a long while ago.

A: Pours very dark burnt caramel color with a thin dark tan head that quickly faded into a thin bubbly film leaving a few spots of soapy lacing down the glass.
S: Rich notes of orange zest, burnt caramel, toffee, pine sap, grapefruit pith, and a few hints of tropical fruits.
T: Big notes of fruit, pine, caramel and toffee. This pretty much follows the nose except I get strong flavors of wheat as well. The orange zest, candied orange, sweet caramel, and bitter pine are all there in force as well. The finish is slightly warm with alcohol and a bit bitter.
M: Thick bodied, chewy viscous mouthfeel, low carbonation. The alcohol has a very slight warmth to it but overall it is integrated very well.
O: Solid wheatwine and one of the best I’ve had. For a beer that isn’t of my favorite style, I quite enjoyed this. (907 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1pt.bottle served into an Oversized glass.Enjoyed on may´11.
Pours orangish red in color,orange to the light.Slightly clear.Headed with a yellowish thin crown that quickly dissipates.Brief lacing rings.Caramel malt,bread,fruit & chewing gum aromas.Not bottering but kind burning alcohol all over & spicy hints.Dark fruit candy & dry hoppy flavor.It finishes with a complex underneath tartar.Funny tickly on nose comes from the aftertaste.Full body & fine carbonation.Good & gentle drinkability. (495 characters)

A: Poured a dark orange with a thick dirty white head.

S: Nose is rather sweet, barley and malts but sordove faint in other areas.

T: Taste reminds me of a barleywine to a degree, lots of sugar, malts. ABV is pretty subdued but it hits you hard.

M: Sweet, thick, boozy and heavy on palate

O: Drinkability is good for the style uit not a beer you can drink alot of. Share a bomber. (387 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle poured into a large wine glass. Bottled in 2010.

A- Pretty in color, a very dark amber brown, with a thin off white head. Little lacing on the glass.

S- Strong malty aroma with a moderate alcohol presence. The alcohol burns the nostrils a bit. There is a faint smell of hops with some tropical fruity notes.

T- Very strong malts at first but begins to fade a bit as it warms in the glass. Very sweet with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Like the nose, hops and alcohol are present. I detect some wheat in there as well.

M- Thick with little carbonation. It is a bit harsh, the alcohol leaves a slight burning sensation in my throat and numbs my lips.

O- This is the first wheatwine I've had, so I didn't know what to expect. To me this tasted much like a strong double IPA mixed with an English barleywine. A good beer but nothing spectacular. (867 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1%

after all this talk about wheatwines thought id bust this guy out. thanks alelovinruskie! your box of goodies keep givin and givin!

chilled 22oz 2010 into a smuttynose big beer snifter

a- pours a clear ruby red with a thick half inch khaki head. unlike any wheatwine I'd ever seen, still looks good though

s- sweet malts at the forefront, again unlike any wheatwine I've smelled. reminds me more of an English barelywine more than a wheat wine, maybe the age is responsible? even still it smells great. caramel and toffee.

t- this taste good! like a very good barely wine. there is still some remaining wheat taste, but the maltiness takes the fore front but they are good. lots on the nose but not overly sweet. I'd love to try it fresh. alcohol is in pretty good check for the most part, there's a little burn in the finish

m- this guy is pretty thick. mine was well carbonated for a nice big beer. some big chewiness to it.

o- another good beer from smuttynose, however rating it to style or to enjoyment is the ultimate question. this guy is more of a barelywine but nonetheless anextremely enjoyable beer. (1,117 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle (Dated 2009) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields a 1-inch cream-colored head that quickly disappears, leaving a nearly absent dusting and clumpy foam ring. The body is a hazy strawberry amber with no noticeable carbonation bubbles. Large floaties can be seen resting on the bottom of the glass like pebbles in a fish tank.

Strong alcohol stings the nostrils at not only the first whiff, but each subsequent sniff thereafter. Grainy wheat with notes of bananas and red apples helps to round out the rest of the nose. As the beer warms, the aromas combine to form a nose reminiscent to warm mulled cider.

Sweet, caramelized malts with a shadow of floral hops starts each sip. An apple cider characteristic lends itself nicely to the overall experience and helps to make the sweetness more acceptable. As soon as the beer is swallowed, a strong alcohol burn kindles in the back of the throat for a moment but quickly fades to a mere warmth coupled by a candied sugar sweetness. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes less apparent, permitting the other flavors to come out more.

Medium bodied with very little carbonation, this beer is surprisingly smooth. The lack of carbonation has amazingly little effect on the drinkability. While it is rather sticky, and almost syrupy once warm, it is still easily enjoyable. (1,353 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz bottle into a tulip glass

2009 Vintage

A- Pours a dark golden honey orange with no head at all, just a off white rim of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Leaves no retention either but does leave some really nice legs.

S- Sweet barley malts that blends nicely with the strong wheat aromas. Definitely some sweet caramel and toffee. Definitely has a spiciness to it from the wheat and also the "herbaceous" hops or what's left of them. Some graininess and slight alcohol. Unfortunately it's hard to get aroma due to the beer being pretty oxidized.

T- Creamy caramel malts and toffee up front with a strong wheat background that blends nicely. Some bitterness and spice from the hops but not to much. They're pretty much faded in this one. Luckily the oxidation isn't it the taste so I can actually enjoy this one and finish the bottle.

M- Medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation and a nice slightly bitter wet finish.

Overall if you got these sitting around I say drink them. I don't really see this beer getting much better than this (couple years old.) The barley malts have taken over and it's all caramel malts and sweet sugar. The hops are disappearing as well as that wheat spiciness. I was lucky enough to find this vintage on the shelf at my local store a couple days ago. Maybe the store didn't keep this beer to temp controlled and its a result of that.

SkÅL! (1,398 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

From 07/27/11 notes. Had on tap at Rustico in Arlington, VA at their Smuttynose event. 2010 vintage served in a tulip and sampled side by side with the 2011 vintage of their Barleywine.

a - Pours a hazy dark orange color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s -Smells of caramel malts, sweet dark fruits, bready malts, and light alcohol. Sweeter than the barleywine, and almost a bit of sweet maple syrup in the nose.

t - Tastes of sweet dark fruits, caramel malts, toffee, vanilla, maple syrup, and bready malts. Again, sweeter than the barleywine, and no real alcohol head. Very nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, sweet and very light alcohol warmth. not as hot as the barleywine.

o - Overall a much better beer than the barleywine, though this had the advantage on aging a year. Sweeter and less alcohol, would have it again. (870 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Cracked open the 2006 vintage (waxed dipped in August 2008) I was holding onto, decided to crack it last night to celebrate my first day back at work from the state government shutdown so i am reviewing from notes. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: pours a dark orange copper color with orange hues around the edge of the glass especially towards the bottom of the beer. There is about a quarter inch of head that disappears quickly leaving a good amount of sticky lacing around the edge of the glass. There is a small patch of lacing on the top of the beer and a slim ring around the edge of the glass sitting on the top of the beer. A little carbonation can be seen rising to the top of the beer.

S: Deep dark fruits, raisins and figs, maby grapes. The booze is well hidden in the nose. There is not a lot of hops or spiciness in the nose

T: Very similar to the nose, there are dark fruits dominating my palate right now. A slight hint of hop bitterness. brown sugar sweetness but not clowing.

M: medium to full bodied beer with not a lot of carbonation

overall: WOW, this is a great beer I enjoyed it so much. (1,114 characters)

My first wheatwine to taste, let's try this out! Poured from the bottle into a large snifter. Vintage and conditioned 2010.

A very good foamy head off white, a little brown in color, somewhat creamy like in texture, with some nice sheets that are tiny in the glass. Basic kind of cloudy amber colored body, but still looking like a standard barleywine if a little cloudy. I call alright.

Bouquet is, interesting. A little bit of alcohol boozy-ness but tolerable, soft. Slight smooth sense of butter. Chewy hot tolerable wheat density.

Taste brings the flavor and the sense of what is on the nose. Chewy wheat grain sense in the palate, mild booze sensation and mild buttery feel. Good flowing texture it seems, hard to put it into words.

Overall, I enjoyed my first wheatwine. (780 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Look: pours dark amber with some reddish notes in it.
Smell: Maple syrup, caramel, raisins, wheat, spicy bitter hops and alcohol
Taste: The taste follows the nose. Bit more fruity than the nose (apple, figs, plum). Bitter-sweet aftertaste with warming alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and medium body
Overall: Nice beer, would drink it again. (350 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

22 oz bomber of the 2009 vintage pours a very lowly carbonated copper color with very little foam. Pretty hazy too.

Nose is quite oxidized, thick aromas of caramel, toffee and saltwater taffy. Alcohol and some of the lighter fruits.

Taste is more of the same with a burnt caramel sweetness pervading the beer. Surprisingly dark malt flavors are coming forth. Maybe a bit too sweet? Nah..alcohol swoops in to rescue the day from the dreaded cloying demon-beast. Shockingly to me, this brew becomes more drinkable and quite enjoyable as the ounces pass. I think I would like this better fresh, but it is quite tasty even now. All the ingredients come together nicely and make the whole tastier than the sum of its parts. Color me impressed. (740 characters)

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company