Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Wheatwine |  10.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale is a unique hybridization of two well-known beer styles, combining the rich, voluptuous taste of a traditional barleywine with the subtle, tart flavors of an American wheat ale, topped off with a healthy dose of crisp, herbaceous hops.

2007 - 11.4%
2008 - 10.3%
2009 - 11.4%
2010 - 12.0%

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-13-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz., bottle conditioned - served in a snifter. Pours an amber with hints of red and a 1 finger white head that leaves a collar and some lacing. It smells of citric and herbal hops, apricots, pine, pineapple, and some tingly alcohol. The first taste reveals the tart/tangy characters and a thick body with low carbonation. It's followed with citric/herbal hops, pineapple, apricot, sweetness, vinous malts, tobacco?, and a pretty good bitterness - essentially a barley wine with a wheat kick and tanginess. Fairly good, but could be better. I'm gonna try to find other examples of the style though.

2.7/5  rDev -29.9%

Popped this open because the spouse fried up a panful of oysters. The wife enjoyed this with these succulent shellfish. But let's look at it on the individual merits. This pours a dirty orange, cloudy, and no head to speak of. Nose is a chalky sugar odor with no malts or hops discernible. Taste follows with another chalky sugar soaked alcohol bath of the tongue. There is an abrupt cherry prune flavor but it isn't all that pleasant. Mouthfeel is medium but the taste gets in the way. To be sure I've tried this after having two stouts and a tripel, but I expected much more from this.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

A thin white head that fades almost on impact. Minor ringed lacing. A semi-hazy bright copper in color.

An arry of alcohol soaked fruity esters: apple, orange, pear, peach, apricot. A candied sweetness; honey, light vanilla. A touch of floral hops with a whaff of light lemon.

A big honey sweetness to start the sip that leads to ripe fruit flavors: peach, apricot, and a hint of sour lemon. The alcohol presence is not only evident, but woven throughout every flavor in this concoction. A moderately intense hop bitterness; an oily hop profile, prior to a honey sweetened, alcohol felt aftertaste.

Medium bodied; smooth, gaseous, and slick on the palate. Very warming for such a big brew.

Not quite a session beer, but this is a wonderfully unique ale that should be sought after. Well crafted and very unique...exactly what I've come to expect from my bros in NH.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange amber. A head never really forms nor is there even a thin lace left in the glass. Sweet, fruity malt, alcohol, and citrus hops in the aroma. The palate is dominated by an alcohol bite and a sweet fruitiness (cherry, esp.) along with a generally grainy flavor. Pine and citrus hops make themselves noticed, adding a great hop spice to this brew, but they are a bit out-matched by the malt character. Caramel maltiness also makes a strong appearance, especially towards the dry finish. The smooth mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation.

Never had this style before and it wasn’t too bad. Apparently is a hybrid between a barely wine and a wheat ale and, in some ways, it’s the best of both worlds; hoppier and more drinkable than your average barely wine, but tastier and richer than many wheat ales. Certainly worth a try, though I bet that some aging would be a good idea. Recommended.

It pours a hazy golden amber, very mich like iced tea in hue. A short finger of beige head drops promptly to whirly-gigs of fine froth. Flits of lacing flatten against the glass.

The aroma fluffed a pillow of caramel malt propping a tart wheaty pop and a citrusy swirl of hops and berry flashes. A mild alcohol note lofts lightly.

Upon tasting, the earthy cherry sweetness of barley and the dusky tanginess of wheat pair to lay a grainy groundwork. Citrus notes of hops punch through the middle, and as the flavor progresses the melding of grain and hops yield a spread of creamy pineapple. A current of alcohol is more poignant here, lending an ehtery vapor. A toasted grain character slides in toward the close, and the finish dries to a lingering hop and wheat crisp dryness. A quenching quaff, it's big and bold, but also buoyant.

Medium bodied, the hops and grain join to feel almost chewable, with the lingering dry bitterness a pleasant palatal memory.

It's sinewy and slinky, saucy and sassy, and intriguing blend of grain and hops. It is large, flexing strong ABV muscles that kick quite stoutly. While that imits things slightly, the sweet and snappy nature stand tall and make each sip a treat. The only downside is that, as part of the brewery's Big Beer series, the availability will be limited, but anticipation becomes a good thing indeed in the hands of Smuttynose.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Wow - just one of these bad boys will put you on your ass. So 10" of snow was a good day for this.

A: Looks like cold apple cider - sparce but cloudy. No head, perhaps because of the St. Bernadus chalice (thanks Nick).

S: Alcohol. Oh yeah. Lots of citrus in there - i got some tartness, maybe grapefruit.

T: This is a complicated one. I felt that it was too sharp. Needed perhaps some more malts to balance it out, maybe even some hops. I think the alcohol is a bit too strong, leaving solely the sweet citrusy residue. Definitely some strong english barley wine in here.

M: A bit too light for my taste. The alcohol i feel overshadows the complexities of the wheat.

D: This is actually wehre I think the beer fails. I had trouble getting through the bomber - which is totally not like me. It is sort of like a mediocre scotch, in that you can get down a few ounces, but after that it's just too much.

Glad I had this beer. Definitely an interesting introduction to the style, and it wasn't all bad. I enjoyed sipping it for a few hrs this cold afternoon. But I would like to try some different interpretations of the style in the future.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

There have been medals one, opinions from friends, opinions from all the reviews I've seen, and I have to say this has been one of the most circuitously deemed beers I've seen in a while. But it's cold, I'm hanging out, I have a bomber, I have my small Delirium glass, so let's run this and see what happens.

Appearance: Almost the color of a blush wine, which is surprisingly gorgeous, though the haze freaks it out a little bit, makes it certainly look more like a beer, more like a, well, a wheat beer versus a barley wine I suppose. A nice hybird for sure. The problem is there's no head, and no lacing. But the color's saving me here definitely.

Smell: I hate to say this, but yes, it has the sweetness of all the sweet and malty wheat, plus the hoppiness and greenness of the hops in a young barley wine. Also clean, with the alcohol there but definitely not overpowering anything in the aroma. Very nice for what it is, though with age this has the potential to be ridiculous.

Taste: What I absolutely love about every sip of this beer is the stark and silky vanilla that seems to come out of nowhere toward the middle of the sip. Am I getting ahead of myself? Maybe. But not extract, just pure vanilla, like the effusive nature of upfront vanilla beans but drawn into the mix because of the hops. Something I've never really experienced before. But it starts with the hops and with the wheat, though more wheat than hops as they battle each other on the palate, and by the end it descends into hop greenness and bitterness lingering on the tongue. But with the vanilla there's an icing and cake-like robust and welcoming sweetness that seems to be the key to balance of the taste. I love its singularity, bitterness and sweetness, and its complexity.

Mouthfeel: A bit creamy at first, then it gets even more on that level toward the swallow. There's much sweetness, but there's also much hops, which makes this work so well I think. A sugary and malty body means usually a heavy one, but this definitely isn't cloying.

Drinkability: I'm having no trouble finishing this bottle. The hops are balancing out the sweetness enough for me so it's not cloying. Yes, it's a sipper for sure, and this small Delirium glass is the trick I think; you can maybe get way too much in a snifter when 10 ounces is probably more than sufficient upon the refills. But yes, try this. It's been a great experience, and I can't wait to cellar a few to see what happens to them. Cheers to a style I certainly will pursue in the future.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

I wasn't really sure what to expect from the Smuttynose Wheat Wine ale and was plesantly delighted in what I found. The beer pours a clear dark amber color with a frothy white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly leaving almost nothing behind except a thin ring around the surface of the beer to remind me of what once was. A strong aroma of alcohol, orange citrus and a hint of pine drives up into the sinuses before I took the first sip.

This medium bodied somewhat syrupy beer is packed with flavor. It reminded me of a barleywine with its strong citrus orange (and pineapple?) notes, alcohol and toasted malt. However, it has a toasted malt crispness around the edges that assured me it's not a barleywine. It finished with some alcohol and piney hop notes.

I found this beer to be very tasty. However, the alcohol tended to dominate each sip and kicked my butt.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

So anyway, like my mama used to tell me, "Big beers are larger than normal beers."

Or something.

Anyway, this is one big ass beer. This is the beer that had Napoleon been handed it whilst invading the Crimean, he'd have said, "Sacre bleu! Qu'est maintenant une grande bière!" However, since Napoleon did no such thing, I'll attribute all comments about this beer to Bruce Willis in "Die Hard". Specifically, the quote I'm considering at the moment is, "I'm gonna fucking kill ya, then I'm gonna fucking cook ya, and I'm gonna fucking eat ya." It's no, "Give me liberty, or give me death", but it is rather pithy.

This is a beer designed to absolutely kick your ass. It's a wheat wine, so most of us badass imperial stout drinkers are thinking, "Feh! to wheat wines we're tough, imperial stout drinking mofos." Screw that. This beer is hardcore. It's no wierdass, Venom-esque crappy grind core kind of beer, this is a "I am the Dark Fist of Vermont (even if I am 53% wheat malt). You will treat me with respect, and eventually learn to fear me." kind of beer.

Appearance: The least impressive of all characteristics. Very light, very orange, and almost presents like an IPA.

Smell: Jesusfuckashitsouffle. This is heap strong medicine, white man. And I'm the white man. All malt and alcohol. This beer isn't subtle in the slightest. Hail the conquering hero.

Taste: I'm drinking this at cellar temps, and it's mind-blowing. I wish I'd left it sit in my cellar for another year, because this bad boy is that much tougher than anything else I've got sitting around (except for the Jolly Roger and the Silver City Imperial Stout).

Mouthfeel: You know, there are a lot of lewd comments I could write about Salma Hayek and assorted activities that might not be radio friendly. I'll do neither, and let jesus be my guide.

Drinkability: Not good. Stong, dark and gorgeous. I can't drink Neha Dhupia, best I know, but I'll be damned if I won't try.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

The ber poured a pale orange unfiltered color with a thin watery head which disappated quickly. The smell got more intense as it warmed, as did the taste. It smelled fo wheat and hops mainly, some spice and a lot of alchol. I wasn't ready for the taste. maybe I wasn't expecting what I got, but it caught me off gaurd. I keep readung other reviews and the term 'earthy" keeps coming up. I really can't do better than that, it kinda sums it up. I understand it was a wheat wine, but there was not much wine-y about it. Wheat and more wheat. There also was a serious ammount of alcohol and it wasn't masked as well as it should be to fully enjoy the beer. I appreciate what Smuttynose is trying ot do with the big beer series, and this might be a better drink if it was cellared for a while, but right now, I'm not much of a fan.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

orangey amber that is sometimes a bit pinkish with a thin off white head. the aroma contains sweet orange, caramel (roasted as it warms), earthy floral and slightly piney hop characteristics. some sweet candied fruit starts to develop as it warms, as well as a hint of alcohol.
the taste consists of caramel, sweet orange, and heavy dose of bitter earthy hops that are almost astringent at times. biscuity yeast contributes to some complexity. candied and ripe fruits fade in and out through out the course of the bottle. a slight roasted quality develops as it warms along with a little molasses. the alcohol is well masked with just a bit of warmth in the back of the mouth.
medium to full bodied with appropriately middle of the road carbonation. good drinkability, no trouble finishing this bomber. this is one beer that in my opinion could benefit from a little less of a hop presence, and that usually ain't the case with me. so that may say something about this beer. it's just the hops kill a little of the more subtle characteristics.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

For me, this fell in between being a malty double IPA and an American barley wine in just about all aspects.
Take Dogfish Head's 90 minute IPA, darken it and sweeten it and you'd get something like this brew. Floral and herbal with malty sweetness.
Really nice depth and complexity. Not to be guzzled but savored; you wont want to drink much of this at a time but you keep your eyes open for it again.
This made me want to try more wheat wines.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours out a dark, almost-opaque orange with a thin white head that recedes quickly. Certainly an interesting, vibrant color, but not much in the way of a head or carbonation.

Smell is interesting, lots of scents I'd associate with barleywines: bitter hoppiness, a solid maltiness, alcohol, and some dark fruits, but also a little bit of citric spiciness, I suppose coming from the wheat malts.

Flavor is interesting, suitably strong for such a big beer, with a lightly floral edge sneaking into the otherwise crisp and bitter hops, which tend a bit towards grassy on the front of the tongue. The citrus comes through much more clearly here, with orange and even a little pineapple reading loud and clear. The alcohol warms the flavor up quite a bit, but it still maintains a nice clean taste overall.

Mouthfeel is relatively chewy, but again, less so than a typical barleywine.

Overall: A pretty interesting beer and my first take on the style. I'd really much prefer to have this one in a 12 oz bottle rather than a bomber, as it got to be a bit trying by the end.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Nice work on the label from the folks at Smuttynose, it helps present what one should expect from this beer. It pours chunk ans thick into a low sustaining head. Color is rich orange and very clean, clear and pure.
Aroma: Big beautiful bouquet, comes to mind first. Very engaging hop nose and florally sweet like a tart candy.
Taste: Again, like on the nose a big flowery flavor but still exceptionally clean. Good consistent follow through with notes of citrus in the front and back.
Mouthfeel: On the lighter side for carbonation, and with a thick, sweet coating that somehow still leaves my mouth clean.
Drink: Am looking forward to this beer next year. I've heard the brewers are keeping guarded eyes on the few remaining bottles.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: clear copper in color with a thick 2" fluffy white head. Thick lacing develops on the glass. Cabonation level is low.

Smell: the aroma is of ripe fruits, alcohol, and candy sweetness.

Taste: the flavor is of strong caramel, yeast, earth, sweet fruit, alcohol, and decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel: smooth and dry. The finish is long on the sweetness and alcohol.

Drinkability: decent drinkability, even though this is high on the alcohol scale. Find this one and enjoy it.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured it vigorously to try and stir up some carbonation. a thin white head appeared...perhaps a bit lacking in carbonation...but not so lacking I 'd call it a problem.

smell: dry barley wine type smell...maybe a hint of apple

overall: pretty awesome I think, great winter beer, has a really warm taste, not a burny alchohol taste, even though this beer has some punch. basically I would describe this barley wine as dry..farily complex, and very drinkable.

wish I had more to drink.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Wow, such a nice, well rounded brew. I am actually sorry that I didn't save this for longer, but the urges wouldn't let me. And I am happy and sad in the same breath. Happy that I got tot taste it, sad that I didn't save it for curiousity's sake.

pours a nice, solid amber color. Some tanihs head, that dissaptes slowlt, and leaves some lacing. The nose is kinnda malty, kinnda hoppy, and vaugley spicy. All in all, a nice presentation

This beer shows off everything it has in it's charecter. It is malty and smooth. It has enough hop presence to make a statement. But it done so in a very balanced way. The mouthfeel is vaugley oily, but, not so much that i ttakes away from the beer. despite the high ABV, this is a very drinkable beer. I am very sorry that I do not have more of thise

3.85/5  rDev 0%

The beer poured into the glass lightly hazy copper with a barely off white head which rose slightly and tired to lace the glass but was only barely able to accomplish the task.

The aroma was malty and fruity, much like a well aged barleywine. The fruity aroma contained a piney citrusy aromatic that was quite resinous. Also present was a light honey aroma and a medium sweetness.

The flavor was malty yet well bittered. The flavor contained a malty caramel presence and a light graham flavor. The wheat was noticeable in the malt and added a light yet full character to the mouthfeel. The flavor was quite bitter with a resinous and piney hop bittering and flavor.

The finish was just dry with a long lasting and powerful piney and resinous hop flavor that contained a mild bit of citrus long into the aftertaste. The body was medium full. A nice beer, missing something, perhaps complexity.

22 ounce bottle. Bottled in 2005 on front label.

Orange amber body with a nice with a good size head that left a scattering of lace around the glass. Pretty fruity aroma with plenty of sweetness. Some grassy and earthy hops are noticeable as is a bit of alcohol. Some caramel as well. Taste starts off with some more fruits and a good amount of earthy hops. Some light tartness towards the end with a hoppy fruity finish. Interesting smelling and tasting brew. Mouthfeel was fairly thick and enough to support the flavor. Pretty smooth and easy drinking for such a big brew. Solid all around wheat wine from my experience.

1.85/5  rDev -51.9%

Hate to do it, because I love Smutty, but this beer is a trainwreck. Pours a decent looking amber red color, zero head, though that could be expected because of the high ABV. Smell is filled with oppressive alcohol, though under that, if you try hard, you can find some nice sweet malty notes and vanilla. Taste is much the same, lots of alcohol compared to the little flavor that manages to break through. Oily, uncarbonated mouthfeel, doesn't back up the attempted boldness of this beer. Almost undrinkable. If I had to describe this brew in a word, I'd say abrasive.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a one-finger cream head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Hazy amber color. Slight malty nose. Medium carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Starts sweet but complex flavor, the high ABV is not really noticeable, slight hop finish. Good beer to savor. $3.29 for a 22oz bottle from RSVP Liquors, Portland, Me.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

22oz bottle purchased as a single at Town & Country Liquors, West Springfield, MA. Label notes Bottle Conditioned in 2005.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" manila tan head over the orangey amber brew. Head lasts well, esp for the style, with sticky, slow falling lace. Aroma is sweet, malty, fruity, and boozy. Taste is dominated by the alcohol in this young brew, probably best to let it age for awhile. But I didn't, so let's see what else we have. Light fruitiness and wheat character both wave from beneath the surface of alcohol, but hardly can make themselves noticed. Alcohol even numbs the mouth a bit. Mouthfeel is exceptional from the wheat input, sliding so nicely across the tongue, gives a valiant effort in tempering the alcohol, just comes up a tad short. Drinkability is good, because even though I'm not quite happy with this one right now, it has great potential for the future. A brew to look forward to, for sure.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Purchased this fine brew at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank. Lable indicates Bottle fermented in 2005. I may have cracked this one a might bit early. Was a little harsh in the taste department. Perhaps it might mellow with some cellaring.

The instant you open the bottle the hoppy aroma is evident. Floral Herbaceous and welcoming.

The pour was a disappointment in that you really needed to coax the head out of this brew. The glass was clean enough for lacework but the head wouldn't form without coaxing and it really did not last long at all. Carbonation is slight with a steady supply of slow moving bubbles feeding a thin layer of beige that is ever-present at the top of the brew.

Aroma is herbaceous hops, alcohol and wheat malt.

Taste is wine like with alcohol, vinous hops, some fruit, some biscuit and some more alcohol with a dry hop finish.

Mouth feel is smooth and light but somehow not watery.

This is a drinkable brew. An excellent winter warmer.

eyes...
barely any head, and then it vanishes, blush/brown hue, ok looking, nothing to make me go hmmm

nose...
bubble gum, strawberry wine, smells like a mild shirley temple, interesting, the wheat "lightness" is hard to detect but it is lurking

taste etc...
has a lot more feel than I thought it would.. damn. it has a big-ish taste with a light feel, strange as hell, nice hop bitterness if you let it linger, fruitiness .. and it all stays light where as many barely wines can be heavy in the gullet, the alcohol is present but is just a partner here, not a prime time player, this is like a hoppy, carbonated blush wine! Boone Farm has nothing on Smuttynose... definite wheat aftertaste once the buds get used to the hop bitterness, dry and light finish..nice !

verdict:
I was surprised by this one. I don't think it will be a fave or go to just style wise for me, but I have to say it is damn tasty and an interesting one to check out.. dig it !

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. Label says "Bottle Conditioned in 2005".

Pours a mostly clear copper with a very short lived head of off-white bubbles. The head drops to just a ring, with splotches of lacing on the glass. Carbonation looks slow.

Aroma is sweet and fruity, with faint notes of cherries or strawberries and some clean caramel. There is a soft aroma of earthy hops in the back. The smells of this beer are a little too faint, IMO.

The first flavor is sweet malt, with an interesting juiciness. Very yummy. There then is a pretty strong hop bitterness, along with a flavor of vodka soaked golden raisins. For all the sweetness present, there is a certain tartness in the aftertaste, I guess from the wheat. The aftertaste of this is absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with fairly soft carbonation. The finish has heat from alcohol, but it is well hidden.

This is a really good beer. When I get back to UJ's, I'm going to buy another. Every barleywine loving beer geek needs to try this!

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company