Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Wheatwine |  10.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 04-13-2005

Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale is a unique hybridization of two well-known beer styles, combining the rich, voluptuous taste of a traditional barleywine with the subtle, tart flavors of an American wheat ale, topped off with a healthy dose of crisp, herbaceous hops.

2007 - 11.4%
2008 - 10.3%
2009 - 11.4%
2010 - 12.0%
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

I really enjoyed this beer. I was expecting something a little big bigger with more body and more malt to it, but as it is, it's very drinkable. And although the 11% alcohol is there, it's not really too distracting (although I guess that knowing it's there helps you to prepare for it). It's got a very nice appearance with a hazy reddish-orange-copper body, but there's little head and even less lacing, which I thought was odd for a beer with 53% wheat (even if it does have a high alcohol content). Hops are noticeable in the nose, along with some very nice yeasty fruitiness and a flicker of alcohol, and it's quite welcoming. It's smooth across the palate with a very fine bubbled, restrained carbonation and medium body. In the flavor it's lightly sweet and somewhat candyish, but still well-balanced, and the malt and hop bitterness seem to have a tug of war going on until the finish where the bitterness overcomes. The alcohol is more apparent here than in the nose, and it rises up at mid-palate, and remains a bit in the finish. However, it does lend a bit of pepperiness that helps to balance the malt and give it greater depth of character. Overall, an interesting tipple.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle provided by Brewfan. Many Thanks! Pours a cloudy apricot body that seems to glow. No real head or lacing, not unexpected for this style. Aroma was surprisingly subdued, featuring notes of wheat malt, cedar, stale wine, and vague fruits. Mouthfeel is medium ot light medium bodied with low carbonation. Taste is slightly vinous, with notes of dry white wine. Mild wheat wafer notes become toasty wheat as it warms. A bit phenolic and hot. Fruity notes are vague and understated. Felt like I was drinking rocket fuel, at times. Alcohol is upfront and in your face with this one. A decent wheat wine that I wish I had cellared for a couple of years.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

bottled 2005

Poured this from the bottle into a big bowled wine glass. Straight up I notice the color, a hazy copper with a tinge of gold around the edges. Quite interesting and a bit mesmerizing. There is a very thin head that is gone almost instantly.

I clear my nose for my first scent...fruity, apples maybe? It's bright with a hoppy scent and a hint of alcohol.

Not exactly love at first sip, but I think I had expected something different. So I go on and sip a few more times, swishing it around each time, trying to find what stands out. I get citrusy hops and grassy notes right up front. No sweetness, I think there should be more malt sweetness to balance this out a bit, but it is a wheat wine so I'll roll with it. It finishes with a touch of malt and a bitter alcohol bite, phenolic notes on the finish and in the aroma (I forgot to mention that).

The mouthfeel was interesting, a bit oil or creamy, if you prefer. Reminds me of the mouthfeel of a good cabernet.

As for drinkability, I had to score it average, it's a hard one to get down on ones own.
I found myself in the rare position of having to drink this bottle by myelf. One glass would be more than enough of this big beer on any given night. I drank the whole bottle and found myself in bed and asleep by 9pm. Seems a tad sharp and the alcohol is not well hidden. Other than that I find it interesting, I've never had this style before so wasn't really sure what to expect.

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Scarlet red-orange body. Thin light beige head. Recedes to a thin collar that leaves sporadic lace. Aroma is alcohol and fruits and more alcohol. Passion fruits mostly. Kiwi and mango come to mind. Oh, and a little pepper as well. Upon tasting, I find out that this beer packs a little punch. Well, maybe a big punch. Alcohol is hidden in no way whatsoever. Spicy and hot. And lingering. There are some good qualities to go along with that. The fruits are there. And some rich barleywine-esque malt characteristics. Just not enough to make this taste any better than average to me. Besides the heat, the mouthfeel is also lightly carbonated and close to medium in body.

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

Pretty powerful stuff, 22oz bottle. Pours a deep orange color. My nose is stuffed up but can taste well. What I do taste? Hops galore, very citrusy is flavor, slight alcohol warmth balanced by the hops. Mouthfeel is really nice. Not something you can knock back one after the other but something to enjoy over a long period of time. That's what I'm doing here!! :)

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

22 oz brown bottle, served in a snifter.

A: Pours a golden-amber, with a half-finger white head. It disappears rather quickly, leaving a thin white collar around the glass. Minimal lacing.

S: Strong whiff of alcohol and orange, followed by sweet malted barley and wheat. Citrus hop notes also pull through.

T: Caramel malts and wheat, with assertive, citrusy hops. A smooth, but warm and alcoholic finish. Surprisingly well-balanced.

M & D: Medium/full body. A smooth, yet formidable brew. Drinkability is good, despite the well-disguised alcohol content. It was quite a challenge to knock one back by myself. I haven't had any wheat wines before that I can compare it to, but this was definately satisfying. Try it out.

A modest tan head of small and large bubbles tops a new penny copper colored liquid. There are a handful of carbonation streamers lazing their way to the surface. The smell is big and hoppy; piney and sappy with hints of malt sweetness. The first taste is medicinal in a high alcohol way. Finishes astringent, almost whiskey-like with its alcohol heat. It has a big body and is only somewhat malty, but the alcohol dominates, and it is not well integrated or balanced. I could not find a hint of the wheat notes I expected. Barely drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

22 oz., bottle conditioned - served in a snifter. Pours an amber with hints of red and a 1 finger white head that leaves a collar and some lacing. It smells of citric and herbal hops, apricots, pine, pineapple, and some tingly alcohol. The first taste reveals the tart/tangy characters and a thick body with low carbonation. It's followed with citric/herbal hops, pineapple, apricot, sweetness, vinous malts, tobacco?, and a pretty good bitterness - essentially a barley wine with a wheat kick and tanginess. Fairly good, but could be better. I'm gonna try to find other examples of the style though.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

Popped this open because the spouse fried up a panful of oysters. The wife enjoyed this with these succulent shellfish. But let's look at it on the individual merits. This pours a dirty orange, cloudy, and no head to speak of. Nose is a chalky sugar odor with no malts or hops discernible. Taste follows with another chalky sugar soaked alcohol bath of the tongue. There is an abrupt cherry prune flavor but it isn't all that pleasant. Mouthfeel is medium but the taste gets in the way. To be sure I've tried this after having two stouts and a tripel, but I expected much more from this.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

A thin white head that fades almost on impact. Minor ringed lacing. A semi-hazy bright copper in color.

An arry of alcohol soaked fruity esters: apple, orange, pear, peach, apricot. A candied sweetness; honey, light vanilla. A touch of floral hops with a whaff of light lemon.

A big honey sweetness to start the sip that leads to ripe fruit flavors: peach, apricot, and a hint of sour lemon. The alcohol presence is not only evident, but woven throughout every flavor in this concoction. A moderately intense hop bitterness; an oily hop profile, prior to a honey sweetened, alcohol felt aftertaste.

Medium bodied; smooth, gaseous, and slick on the palate. Very warming for such a big brew.

Not quite a session beer, but this is a wonderfully unique ale that should be sought after. Well crafted and very unique...exactly what I've come to expect from my bros in NH.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy orange amber. A head never really forms nor is there even a thin lace left in the glass. Sweet, fruity malt, alcohol, and citrus hops in the aroma. The palate is dominated by an alcohol bite and a sweet fruitiness (cherry, esp.) along with a generally grainy flavor. Pine and citrus hops make themselves noticed, adding a great hop spice to this brew, but they are a bit out-matched by the malt character. Caramel maltiness also makes a strong appearance, especially towards the dry finish. The smooth mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation.

Never had this style before and it wasn’t too bad. Apparently is a hybrid between a barely wine and a wheat ale and, in some ways, it’s the best of both worlds; hoppier and more drinkable than your average barely wine, but tastier and richer than many wheat ales. Certainly worth a try, though I bet that some aging would be a good idea. Recommended.

It pours a hazy golden amber, very mich like iced tea in hue. A short finger of beige head drops promptly to whirly-gigs of fine froth. Flits of lacing flatten against the glass.

The aroma fluffed a pillow of caramel malt propping a tart wheaty pop and a citrusy swirl of hops and berry flashes. A mild alcohol note lofts lightly.

Upon tasting, the earthy cherry sweetness of barley and the dusky tanginess of wheat pair to lay a grainy groundwork. Citrus notes of hops punch through the middle, and as the flavor progresses the melding of grain and hops yield a spread of creamy pineapple. A current of alcohol is more poignant here, lending an ehtery vapor. A toasted grain character slides in toward the close, and the finish dries to a lingering hop and wheat crisp dryness. A quenching quaff, it's big and bold, but also buoyant.

Medium bodied, the hops and grain join to feel almost chewable, with the lingering dry bitterness a pleasant palatal memory.

It's sinewy and slinky, saucy and sassy, and intriguing blend of grain and hops. It is large, flexing strong ABV muscles that kick quite stoutly. While that imits things slightly, the sweet and snappy nature stand tall and make each sip a treat. The only downside is that, as part of the brewery's Big Beer series, the availability will be limited, but anticipation becomes a good thing indeed in the hands of Smuttynose.

3.59/5  rDev -6.8%

Wow - just one of these bad boys will put you on your ass. So 10" of snow was a good day for this.

A: Looks like cold apple cider - sparce but cloudy. No head, perhaps because of the St. Bernadus chalice (thanks Nick).

S: Alcohol. Oh yeah. Lots of citrus in there - i got some tartness, maybe grapefruit.

T: This is a complicated one. I felt that it was too sharp. Needed perhaps some more malts to balance it out, maybe even some hops. I think the alcohol is a bit too strong, leaving solely the sweet citrusy residue. Definitely some strong english barley wine in here.

M: A bit too light for my taste. The alcohol i feel overshadows the complexities of the wheat.

D: This is actually wehre I think the beer fails. I had trouble getting through the bomber - which is totally not like me. It is sort of like a mediocre scotch, in that you can get down a few ounces, but after that it's just too much.

Glad I had this beer. Definitely an interesting introduction to the style, and it wasn't all bad. I enjoyed sipping it for a few hrs this cold afternoon. But I would like to try some different interpretations of the style in the future.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

There have been medals one, opinions from friends, opinions from all the reviews I've seen, and I have to say this has been one of the most circuitously deemed beers I've seen in a while. But it's cold, I'm hanging out, I have a bomber, I have my small Delirium glass, so let's run this and see what happens.

Appearance: Almost the color of a blush wine, which is surprisingly gorgeous, though the haze freaks it out a little bit, makes it certainly look more like a beer, more like a, well, a wheat beer versus a barley wine I suppose. A nice hybird for sure. The problem is there's no head, and no lacing. But the color's saving me here definitely.

Smell: I hate to say this, but yes, it has the sweetness of all the sweet and malty wheat, plus the hoppiness and greenness of the hops in a young barley wine. Also clean, with the alcohol there but definitely not overpowering anything in the aroma. Very nice for what it is, though with age this has the potential to be ridiculous.

Taste: What I absolutely love about every sip of this beer is the stark and silky vanilla that seems to come out of nowhere toward the middle of the sip. Am I getting ahead of myself? Maybe. But not extract, just pure vanilla, like the effusive nature of upfront vanilla beans but drawn into the mix because of the hops. Something I've never really experienced before. But it starts with the hops and with the wheat, though more wheat than hops as they battle each other on the palate, and by the end it descends into hop greenness and bitterness lingering on the tongue. But with the vanilla there's an icing and cake-like robust and welcoming sweetness that seems to be the key to balance of the taste. I love its singularity, bitterness and sweetness, and its complexity.

Mouthfeel: A bit creamy at first, then it gets even more on that level toward the swallow. There's much sweetness, but there's also much hops, which makes this work so well I think. A sugary and malty body means usually a heavy one, but this definitely isn't cloying.

Drinkability: I'm having no trouble finishing this bottle. The hops are balancing out the sweetness enough for me so it's not cloying. Yes, it's a sipper for sure, and this small Delirium glass is the trick I think; you can maybe get way too much in a snifter when 10 ounces is probably more than sufficient upon the refills. But yes, try this. It's been a great experience, and I can't wait to cellar a few to see what happens to them. Cheers to a style I certainly will pursue in the future.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

I wasn't really sure what to expect from the Smuttynose Wheat Wine ale and was plesantly delighted in what I found. The beer pours a clear dark amber color with a frothy white head on top. The foam dissolves quickly leaving almost nothing behind except a thin ring around the surface of the beer to remind me of what once was. A strong aroma of alcohol, orange citrus and a hint of pine drives up into the sinuses before I took the first sip.

This medium bodied somewhat syrupy beer is packed with flavor. It reminded me of a barleywine with its strong citrus orange (and pineapple?) notes, alcohol and toasted malt. However, it has a toasted malt crispness around the edges that assured me it's not a barleywine. It finished with some alcohol and piney hop notes.

I found this beer to be very tasty. However, the alcohol tended to dominate each sip and kicked my butt.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

So anyway, like my mama used to tell me, "Big beers are larger than normal beers."

Or something.

Anyway, this is one big ass beer. This is the beer that had Napoleon been handed it whilst invading the Crimean, he'd have said, "Sacre bleu! Qu'est maintenant une grande bière!" However, since Napoleon did no such thing, I'll attribute all comments about this beer to Bruce Willis in "Die Hard". Specifically, the quote I'm considering at the moment is, "I'm gonna fucking kill ya, then I'm gonna fucking cook ya, and I'm gonna fucking eat ya." It's no, "Give me liberty, or give me death", but it is rather pithy.

This is a beer designed to absolutely kick your ass. It's a wheat wine, so most of us badass imperial stout drinkers are thinking, "Feh! to wheat wines we're tough, imperial stout drinking mofos." Screw that. This beer is hardcore. It's no wierdass, Venom-esque crappy grind core kind of beer, this is a "I am the Dark Fist of Vermont (even if I am 53% wheat malt). You will treat me with respect, and eventually learn to fear me." kind of beer.

Appearance: The least impressive of all characteristics. Very light, very orange, and almost presents like an IPA.

Smell: Jesusfuckashitsouffle. This is heap strong medicine, white man. And I'm the white man. All malt and alcohol. This beer isn't subtle in the slightest. Hail the conquering hero.

Taste: I'm drinking this at cellar temps, and it's mind-blowing. I wish I'd left it sit in my cellar for another year, because this bad boy is that much tougher than anything else I've got sitting around (except for the Jolly Roger and the Silver City Imperial Stout).

Mouthfeel: You know, there are a lot of lewd comments I could write about Salma Hayek and assorted activities that might not be radio friendly. I'll do neither, and let jesus be my guide.

Drinkability: Not good. Stong, dark and gorgeous. I can't drink Neha Dhupia, best I know, but I'll be damned if I won't try.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

The ber poured a pale orange unfiltered color with a thin watery head which disappated quickly. The smell got more intense as it warmed, as did the taste. It smelled fo wheat and hops mainly, some spice and a lot of alchol. I wasn't ready for the taste. maybe I wasn't expecting what I got, but it caught me off gaurd. I keep readung other reviews and the term 'earthy" keeps coming up. I really can't do better than that, it kinda sums it up. I understand it was a wheat wine, but there was not much wine-y about it. Wheat and more wheat. There also was a serious ammount of alcohol and it wasn't masked as well as it should be to fully enjoy the beer. I appreciate what Smuttynose is trying ot do with the big beer series, and this might be a better drink if it was cellared for a while, but right now, I'm not much of a fan.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

orangey amber that is sometimes a bit pinkish with a thin off white head. the aroma contains sweet orange, caramel (roasted as it warms), earthy floral and slightly piney hop characteristics. some sweet candied fruit starts to develop as it warms, as well as a hint of alcohol.
the taste consists of caramel, sweet orange, and heavy dose of bitter earthy hops that are almost astringent at times. biscuity yeast contributes to some complexity. candied and ripe fruits fade in and out through out the course of the bottle. a slight roasted quality develops as it warms along with a little molasses. the alcohol is well masked with just a bit of warmth in the back of the mouth.
medium to full bodied with appropriately middle of the road carbonation. good drinkability, no trouble finishing this bomber. this is one beer that in my opinion could benefit from a little less of a hop presence, and that usually ain't the case with me. so that may say something about this beer. it's just the hops kill a little of the more subtle characteristics.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

For me, this fell in between being a malty double IPA and an American barley wine in just about all aspects.
Take Dogfish Head's 90 minute IPA, darken it and sweeten it and you'd get something like this brew. Floral and herbal with malty sweetness.
Really nice depth and complexity. Not to be guzzled but savored; you wont want to drink much of this at a time but you keep your eyes open for it again.
This made me want to try more wheat wines.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours out a dark, almost-opaque orange with a thin white head that recedes quickly. Certainly an interesting, vibrant color, but not much in the way of a head or carbonation.

Smell is interesting, lots of scents I'd associate with barleywines: bitter hoppiness, a solid maltiness, alcohol, and some dark fruits, but also a little bit of citric spiciness, I suppose coming from the wheat malts.

Flavor is interesting, suitably strong for such a big beer, with a lightly floral edge sneaking into the otherwise crisp and bitter hops, which tend a bit towards grassy on the front of the tongue. The citrus comes through much more clearly here, with orange and even a little pineapple reading loud and clear. The alcohol warms the flavor up quite a bit, but it still maintains a nice clean taste overall.

Mouthfeel is relatively chewy, but again, less so than a typical barleywine.

Overall: A pretty interesting beer and my first take on the style. I'd really much prefer to have this one in a 12 oz bottle rather than a bomber, as it got to be a bit trying by the end.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: Nice work on the label from the folks at Smuttynose, it helps present what one should expect from this beer. It pours chunk ans thick into a low sustaining head. Color is rich orange and very clean, clear and pure.
Aroma: Big beautiful bouquet, comes to mind first. Very engaging hop nose and florally sweet like a tart candy.
Taste: Again, like on the nose a big flowery flavor but still exceptionally clean. Good consistent follow through with notes of citrus in the front and back.
Mouthfeel: On the lighter side for carbonation, and with a thick, sweet coating that somehow still leaves my mouth clean.
Drink: Am looking forward to this beer next year. I've heard the brewers are keeping guarded eyes on the few remaining bottles.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: clear copper in color with a thick 2" fluffy white head. Thick lacing develops on the glass. Cabonation level is low.

Smell: the aroma is of ripe fruits, alcohol, and candy sweetness.

Taste: the flavor is of strong caramel, yeast, earth, sweet fruit, alcohol, and decent bitterness.

Mouthfeel: smooth and dry. The finish is long on the sweetness and alcohol.

Drinkability: decent drinkability, even though this is high on the alcohol scale. Find this one and enjoy it.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured it vigorously to try and stir up some carbonation. a thin white head appeared...perhaps a bit lacking in carbonation...but not so lacking I 'd call it a problem.

smell: dry barley wine type smell...maybe a hint of apple

overall: pretty awesome I think, great winter beer, has a really warm taste, not a burny alchohol taste, even though this beer has some punch. basically I would describe this barley wine as dry..farily complex, and very drinkable.

wish I had more to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Wow, such a nice, well rounded brew. I am actually sorry that I didn't save this for longer, but the urges wouldn't let me. And I am happy and sad in the same breath. Happy that I got tot taste it, sad that I didn't save it for curiousity's sake.

pours a nice, solid amber color. Some tanihs head, that dissaptes slowlt, and leaves some lacing. The nose is kinnda malty, kinnda hoppy, and vaugley spicy. All in all, a nice presentation

This beer shows off everything it has in it's charecter. It is malty and smooth. It has enough hop presence to make a statement. But it done so in a very balanced way. The mouthfeel is vaugley oily, but, not so much that i ttakes away from the beer. despite the high ABV, this is a very drinkable beer. I am very sorry that I do not have more of thise

3.89/5  rDev +1%

The beer poured into the glass lightly hazy copper with a barely off white head which rose slightly and tired to lace the glass but was only barely able to accomplish the task.

The aroma was malty and fruity, much like a well aged barleywine. The fruity aroma contained a piney citrusy aromatic that was quite resinous. Also present was a light honey aroma and a medium sweetness.

The flavor was malty yet well bittered. The flavor contained a malty caramel presence and a light graham flavor. The wheat was noticeable in the malt and added a light yet full character to the mouthfeel. The flavor was quite bitter with a resinous and piney hop bittering and flavor.

The finish was just dry with a long lasting and powerful piney and resinous hop flavor that contained a mild bit of citrus long into the aftertaste. The body was medium full. A nice beer, missing something, perhaps complexity.

22 ounce bottle. Bottled in 2005 on front label.

Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company