Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.20% ABV

2008 - 7.0%
2009 - 8.8%
2010 - 9.3%
2013 - 7.0%
2014 - 7.2% brewed with Pineapple Sage

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 02-12-2006)
View: Beers (54) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
charmcityboh

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a large tulip glass.
I have never seen a beer with this much head. Huge, thick puffs of foam rising out of the glass. As it settled it left 1/4" thick remnants of the head all the way down the glass. Beer itself was a hazy burnt orange. Smell was funky, grassy. Definitely what I expect from a good saison. Taste was crisp and intense. The ever intriguing horseblanket was front and center with this beer, followed by a nice banana like flavor on the back end. Mouthfeel was crisp and dry.
I love Smuttynose, but this is the first I've had of their "Big Beer Series". Hardly an original concept, but this beer at least lives up to the name for sure.
Big presentation, big aroma, big flavor, big beer.

07-30-2010 11:51:23 | More by charmcityboh
Casey10

Maine

3.9/5  rDev +1%

I really liked this beer it has a distinct taste of a farmhouse saison and represents the style well.

It pours a nice cloudy golden color and taste fresh earthy with lots of spice. Pour into a tulip glass the bubbles continued to flow to the top.

The taste was interesting but well within the style refreshing exspecaially on a hot day.

I highly recommend to someone looking for this style it is done well and as alway smuttynose delivers.

07-28-2010 04:55:04 | More by Casey10
diechipmunk

1.95/5  rDev -49.5%

Pours a cloudy brass with a think foamy head, really appealing.

Smell is not strong, but there is Belgian yeast and something like sweaty leather (saddle?). There is a warning of alcohol, but it's still promising

Taste, starts out crisp and citrusy with a hint of spice and a balancing undertone of fresh bread. Then disaster strikes. Who dropped the shot whiskey in my saison!? Nasty, cheap booze takes over and stays. Can't get rid of it. The promising start of the first sip is gone, the booze doesn't go away.

Mouthfeel was OK I guess, a little sweet, for me, medium body, but a touch heavy for saison, I think.

Drinkability - poor, to me. If you like Seagrams 7 and aren't looking for a crisp, refreshing saison it may be good. I did not want a premixed boiler maker.

A rare drain pour.

07-27-2010 20:14:35 | More by diechipmunk
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

I have had a few of these Big Beer Series from Smuttynose, and I do have to take my hat off for this amazing brewery. The beers that I have had from them have been spectacular!

The appearance on this one is a really nice orange heart that gradients out to a strong golden color. It has a nice off white head that is incredibly frothy and leaves a nice lacing on the sides of my tulip.

The smell is of strong Belgian spice, bitter orange, and coriander.

The taste is amazing, very well done. It has a great dry saison taste that is backed by some great Belgian yeast esters, orange peel, white pepper, and a little bit of barnyard. Really spicy which adds a great complexity, totally enjoyable.

The mouthfeel is good, perfectly carbonated and the spices really let the palate roam free. The drinkability is awesome, but there are so many flavors and it is such a complex brew that you want to savor it while its still in your glass.

J

07-26-2010 05:46:49 | More by Jmoore50
sitarist

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours golden yellow with orange tints...there is copious amounts of thick foamy head that last awhile before falling to a 1/4" cap that leaves sheets of lacing.

I smell red apples, grapes, lemon, ginger, biscuits, sweet with some spice. I would like a little more earthy, musty funk.

I taste sweet red apples and ripe fruits up front, with a spicy bite taking over.

I think a creamier body would have suited this beer better...too dry...with too much bite.

Enjoyable with great flavors... not one Id drink all night though.

07-26-2010 01:57:50 | More by sitarist
beancounter

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Poured into a standard pint glass. The color is dark gold to light amber. I hear a loud fizzy sound as I pour. Highly carbonated. There is very little head but what is there stays around for the entire session.

S-Sweet and malty also some caramel.

Taste-A mildly sweet and yeasty taste hit my senses first. Then in the back of my tongue I sense a substantial bitterness. I also taste some citrus/lemon flavors but they are very faint. There are also some other flavors but they hide just beneath my ability to identify them.

Mouth feel is medium and appropriate for the style.

D-I like this beer. I could easy drink a few in one sitting. The bitterness may be off-putting to some for this style, but I think it provides a nice balance.

07-24-2010 21:20:12 | More by beancounter
Augustiner719

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy orange color with a huge foamy head that leaves great lacing. Big floral nose with some bitter astrigent like notes. Taste is not up to par with the great saisons I have had but still has a nice bitter floral taste. Mouthfeel and drinkability are on par with the style but still doesn't have that wow factor I was looking for which I really was expecting from a smutty nose product. Overall this is worthy, and I would order while out, but nothing to go crazy over.

07-23-2010 23:49:56 | More by Augustiner719
IronLover

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

From a 22oz bomber, poured a deep yellow orangish color with a big foamy head. Pretty hazy and murky with lots of sticky lacings. Sweet malty aroma with hints of biscuit, yeast, and citrusy grapefruit. Tons of carbonation and a nice sweet full body feel. Sweet malty flavor in the front that leadsto a brief yeasty/biscuity middle and a spicy alcoholic ending. Quite drinkable. I will enjoy this one again.

07-17-2010 21:57:22 | More by IronLover
ktrillionaire

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Yo Bobby Z - I got the Exit 16, you got the Farmhouse? Word up.

A - Orangey-gold with a bit of white froth and lace

S - There is a strong green apple aroma, combine that with a pristine mineral-y malt and it smells exceptionally fresh. There is also a Tripel-like sweetness.

T - The taste is very nice, delivering on all of the promise of the nose. Big green apple flavors fuse with a pale and lightly astringent malt, with a healthy dose of grassy and exceptionally delectable hops on the long drying finish. A big-time winner here for Smuttynose.

M - Big feel; it seems quite robust for the style.

D - Very impressed. This is a hell of a brew.

07-17-2010 00:21:55 | More by ktrillionaire
ckeegan04

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Golden orange with very active carbonation and a ridiculously huge amount of foam. Foam takes forever to fade away and settle into a sold two-finger cap. Solid foam left all the way down the glass.

S - Wheat and Belgian yeast dominate the nose. Lots of ripe fruits and just a touch of mustiness. As the beer warms the sweetness really begins to open up.

T - The sweetness typical of Belgian candi sugar dominates up front with a quick tartness of ripe fruit coming in. Apples, pears and just a touch of lemon zest. Spices become more noticeable as the beer warms with hints of corriander and just a pinch of nutmeg. Spice is just a touch too strong for me to bump it into the 4.5/5.0 range, but this is a fine tasting saison.

M/D - Crisp and very well carbonated. Sticks on the tongue just a bit. Very easy drinking. ANother successful beer from the folks at Smuttynose.

06-07-2010 18:56:58 | More by ckeegan04
prototypic

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Farmhouse Ale pours a light copper color. It's clear, and has more of a gold look when held to light. I was expecting at least a little haze, but it's not here. A soft white head covers it. It's modest and only rises to a finger or so in depth. Retention was short. Stringy strands of lace line the glass as it descends.

The nose would benefit from more power, but it's still good. Belgian yeast is readily apparent. Ahhh. That's a promising thing! Smells nice and authentic. It certainly has an earthy, musky, grassy thing going. I'm not getting any funk. I'm fairly certain there's no Brett here. It's a little fruity. Smells like apple mostly. Spices are subtle, but are noted. Smells good all-around. I'd like a little more strength.

Wow! This is damn good! Shockingly good! Farmhouse Ale kicks off with a bit of a sweet malt flavor. It's followed by sweet apple and pear fruit flavors. Belgian yeast comes through loud and clear. It kicks up the flavor a notch or two easily. I'm impressed. This is a job well done by an American brewery. It's earthy, grassy, and a little musky throughout. There's not any Brett here though. No worries. It's not missed. Clove and pepper spices add some pizzazz. Alcohol isn't a factor at all. Finishes a little spicy with a nice blast of Belgian yeast.

Farmhouse Ale has a medium body that's very creamy and smooth. Carbonation is light. If this were a blind tasting, I truly might guess that it's authentically Belgian. Drinkability is very high. This is one tasty Saison that goes down super smooth and easy. At 7.5% abv, it's not intimidating. A bomber probably isn't enough.

Smuttynose Brewing really shocked me with this one. This might just be the best American Saison/Farmhouse Ale I've ever had. It's damn good, and could easily be confused with an authentic Belgian release. I was not expecting it to be nearly this good. This bottle is about 2 years old, and perhaps has improved. I need to find a fresh bottle and find out. If you see this anywhere, pick it up! Very impressive stuff.

05-30-2010 02:36:58 | More by prototypic
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Nice earthy offering from Smuttynose leaning on a sweet side for this type of brew. Maybe a tad too hefty for the style.

Presentation: 22 oz capped brown bottle. Label with a classic painting of a family scene under a tree noting style. Side paragraph describes the series, style, main intent, and ingredients. Shows bottle conditioning date (2009). Served into a tulip glass.

A - Hazy deep gold pour with a rich frothy head, good retention and some lacing.

S - Sweet and spicy notes with an earthy and shy funk touch. Orange peel, clove...

T - Sweetness goes rubbing shoulders with an earthy bitterness. Spicy touches, pepper, clove, orange peel.

M - Medium body and carbonation with a generally smooth finish hindered by an occasional bitter swing.

D - It works well but lags a bit behind of what could be a higher drinkability with a better balance, in particular a smoother integration of the sweet profile.

Notes: Quite likable, and the price-quality ratio of these bombers in the area has been remarkable. But while enjoyable I´m not sure it is the saison I like the most to engage people around a table, it can be a bit rough, or heavy handed on occasion.

05-12-2010 17:29:16 | More by Daniellobo
Pittsburgh

3.9/5  rDev +1%

I'd like to open this review with a question. Who cares how a beer smells? Does it matter if it tastes good? Unless it literally smells like an ass....so bad that you can't get it to your lips.

Anyways, I had to choose between this and Arrogant Bastard, and after the first sip I was wishing I had the bastad. I am not doing a comparison here, but after the next few sips, I got into the beer, and I was good with my choice. I think that says alot about the beer. It is solid, it is my first Smuttynose, I don't drink alot of belgians, so keep that in mind.

Good pour, great head, light vanilla brown color, taste is smooth for the most part, a bit bitter at the end, has that creamy vanilla taste, with a bit of lemon, light and fluffy, good for a change up. This is usually the opposite of what I drink, but I liked it, It is tough for me to compare it with others like this, because it is not usually what I get, but it was a solid beer, I would get it again sometime if I was looking for something in this world.

The real eye opener for me is Smuttynose, I want to try more of their beers. It is a tough task....but I am up for the challenge.

04-29-2010 23:41:38 | More by Pittsburgh
joekoolsnoopy

South Carolina

4.78/5  rDev +23.8%

this was the closest to a true Belgian Farmhouse Ale you can buy. Very good taste with exceptional taste, smell, appearance, and drinkability. ... We who love this brewery have come to expect nothing less.
That is why I always say "Make mine a Smutty"

04-26-2010 22:57:37 | More by joekoolsnoopy
Bierguy5

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz. bottle, bottle-conditioned in 2009. Pours a hazy golden color, maybe an range tint to it. White fluffy head holds together well for a few minutes, then fades to a nice ring, leaving a nice patchwork of lace.

Fruity in the nose, especially ripe apples. Maybe a hint of banana. Some earthy, slightly peppery and yeasty notes seem to close things out.

A big malt character seems to stick out up front, with a good amount of sweetness. Lots of ripe fruit. A faint pepper note. Earthy and slightly yeasty. Only a hint of tartness, and not much funk to it.

Mouth seems a bit full for the style, and the carbonation is on the lighter side. Alcohol seems hidden pretty well. A nice beer, but quite my preference for the style.

04-25-2010 18:08:11 | More by Bierguy5
rhoadsrage

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer has a hazy apricot body with a big foamy off-white head with a sea of slow microbubbles.
S- The fruit aroma has a dry soft cinnamon spice with a light we stone note in the finish.
T- This beer has a green herbal pine note with some wheat dough notes. There are some cheese rind notes with some yeasty earthy hint in the finish. The light spice comes through in the finish aswell.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight fizzy finish. Some alcohol heat comes through in the finish.
D- This beer is a big fusel in the alcohol finish with some odd fruity finishes that is more like breakfast cereal than yeasty.

04-21-2010 22:09:49 | More by rhoadsrage
BeerNinja007

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bomber, $5.99 from Lebanon Health Food Store, Lebanon NH. Bottle-conditioned in 2009. Served luke-cold, ~55F in a standard pint glass.

A: Massive 4-finger rocky white head takes forever to settle. Like meringue on a pie. Brew is a cloudy golden yellow. Huge icebergs of foam cling to the glass.

S: Sweet honey, lemon rind, melon, biscuit. Nice, but not hugely fragrant.

T: Taste is a much more intense version of the nose. Sweet honey and lemon rind throughout plus an appropriate bit of yeasty funk. Some herbal qualities become apparent later on.

M/D: Big thick mouthfeel. Alcohol not apparent. A bit too thick/sweet for what I'd expect from a Belgian farmhouse.

04-10-2010 18:57:16 | More by BeerNinja007
beertunes

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Received this in a recent trade, thanks Vermonthiker! Poured into tulip glass. Poured an attractive orangey-yellow color with a tall, white head of coarse bubbles that had great retention and very good lacing.

The aroma was a nice blend of spices and yeast, with some pleasing grain in the background. The flavors followed the path blazed by the aromas with everything being nicely amplified. I also picked up some fruit notes that I didn't smell.

The body was very good, crisp and dry, and was a pleasure to drink. Drinkability was excellent, I could have 2 of these 22s without any trouble (I may have to trade for more of this).

Overall, a very good beer that you would do well to try, I'll be getting more of this.

04-04-2010 21:53:21 | More by beertunes
Sam21

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

2010 edition poured into tulip. Purchased for $5.99.

Appearance - Tarnished golden body. First pour yields perfect clarity, while the second pour delivers a cloudy orange body (left most of the yeast in the bottle). Healthy head.

Smell - Fruity. Citrus rinds, subtle clove, and pale malts. Strong granny smith apple in there as well. The apple adds a unique edge.

Taste - Orange, apple, and lemon enter first before being met by spicy clove and underlying malt sweetness that supports the intense fruit and high alcohol content. The finish is spicy and phenolic with herbal bitterness. Spicy phenols linger. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overly so. It settles nicely within the sweet and spicy body.

Mouthfeel - Medium-body that leans slightly towards full. Carbonation is relatively soft and lively.

Drinkability - This is a big saison and rightfull holds a place in Smuttynose's Big Beer Series. A good beer that leans towards the spicy side. Nice sweetness and pronounced fruitiness add nice support. Bold, fruity, and spicy. Worth a try if you are able to find it!

___
2009 vintage. Bomber into tulip.

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy gold color with a vicious billowing head that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Smell - Earthy spiciness, some citrusy sweetness, and Belgian yeast.

Taste - A mixture of spicy clove, lemon, orange, apple, and black pepper. Solid hop bite at the end with an alcohol bite finishing out the flavor profile.

Mouth Feel - Full bodied with very filling and lively carbonation. I'd prefer a little less carbonation, but I love the look it gives to this beer.

Drinkability - Love the flavor profile in this beer but the alcohol bite at the end does lower the drinkability slightly. Still, lots of delicious things going on in this beer.

04-03-2010 06:11:27 | More by Sam21
ThreeDimesDown

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Big pillowy white head upon pour, wait a few minutes and an extremely nice lacing occurs. The brew is a nice golden, slightly hazy color with a head that just lingers to the end!

The usual funky mustiness of a saison is present in the nose, along with a heavy Belgium yeast, coriander and light fruit (oranges and pears...).

Light fruit hits the palette first, followed by a bready maltiness and ending with a stronger alcohol crispness. Light hints of coriander and other spices work throughout.

A sharp, light-medium mouthfeel with very active carbonation.

Overall, a decent farmhouse ale. Not all the flavors marry together as smooth as I would like, mainly because of the high alcohol finish. A little bit of time in a cellar might help mellow and bring it all together.

04-01-2010 21:03:05 | More by ThreeDimesDown
cjgator3

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a golden orange color with a HUGE off-white head that reminds me of a freshly poured Duvel. Definitely an impressive pour.

S- The aroma is pale malt with a lot of peppery spices, citrus and yeast.

T- The taste starts out with some pale malt, and also contains pears, spices, earthy hops, yeast and some warmth from the alcohol.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere in the middle of light and medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I enjoyed this brew. The alcohol stands out a little bit but I like the complexity of the different flavors. Definitely worth a try. Recommended!

04-01-2010 04:40:23 | More by cjgator3
berley31

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Poured with an absolutely huge, frothy white head that persisted... and persisted. The head continues to rise past the rim of the glass, growing quite rocky. Great lacing. Body is a beautiful, golden orange, and hazy.

S: Very spicey, peppery aroma. Good amount of fruity citrus in the background.

T: Very fruity and spicey, as the aroma would indicate. A touch of funky sourness is present, and welcome. Finishes quite dry. A fine representation of the style.

M: Light body, slightly tart, with very high carbonation.

D: A great saison; I don't have too much experience with this style, but this makes me want to try more. An excellent beer.

03-29-2010 20:25:38 | More by berley31
sisuspeed

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottled in 2009

Poured into a red wine glass. Smuttynose's Farmhouse produces a huge, thick, foamy white head that sits upon an a hazy orange-apricot body. Tilting the glass leaves gentle lacing behind.

Bready, biscuity malt on the nose with Belgian spice, mainly coriander. A little earthy and musty. Somewhat sweet with a touch of light ripe fruit.

The taste contains sweet pears, earthiness, Belgian yeast and some bitterness. Alcohol comes through a bit. Oranges, orange peel and somewhat spicy. Malts are sweet and linger on the bready side. Overall, I find the flavor to be somewhat muddled and hard to pull apart.

Mouthfeel is decently thick and quite foamy with tiny, sharp carbonation. It would be nice to see the foaminess turned down a bit, but otherwise the mouthfeel is pretty good.

Drinkability is about average for me. A bit on the sweet side and a little too foamy. Alcohol is somewhat noticeable on the taste. Probably wouldn't want more than a pint of this.

Overall, this is a decent saison. Most of the general characteristics of the style are there, but this one is a bit too sweet and muddled for my taste. The body is a bit on the foamy side and I feel like the alcohol could be hidden from the taste a little better. If you see a bottle, give it a try, but there are much better examples out there.

03-23-2010 02:15:30 | More by sisuspeed
abuliarose

New Hampshire

Poured into a bowl goblet, revealing ultra thick and airy cream head over hazy frosted gold body. Very prettyful. Some lacing. Smells sweet and slightly nutty, with the appropriate farmhouse funk almost like the Hennepin. Slight citrus, slight metallic tinge, hint of spice.

Tastes solid saison. Some metallic notes, lots of fresh corn and vegetable "funk" character. Slight bitterness, gentle citrus, and solid malt finish. More hint of spice. Mouthfeel is light with prickly carbonation. Medium-light body. Very drinkable, especially just chilled.

Overall I like this offering. Especially on a warm day, especially for the price.

03-23-2010 01:56:53 | More by abuliarose
hawks10

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%

22oz. bottle poured into my Old Rasputin pint glass...received in a trade from NCBeerFan, thanks!

Even with a careful pour, you'll be waiting a bit to drink this beer...a huge head erupts, filling around 80% of the glass with fluffy white head which leaves huge chunks of lace. Honey orange color with a bit of haze, hugely carbonated as tons of bubbles are stilling racing up the glass...

Sweet bready scent, citrus flavors with some banana...a bit of an earthy aroma as well, bit of a spicy yeast smell lingers around a bit too...

Taste has a decent amount of spice to it and a surprising high alcohol presence. Some grassy/herbal spice shows through with a bit of a hop bittering in the end...the combination of spice and a strong alcohol presence means this one doesn't really work for me...

A bit too carbonated for my tastes but doesn't ruin the beer by any means. Somewhat thin with a big tingle from the alcohol presence...

03-16-2010 01:53:36 | More by hawks10