Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website

2009 - 8.8%
2010 - 9.3%
2013 - 7.0%
2014 - 7.2% brewed with Pineapple Sage
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +1%

I got this bottle in a trade with Yamar18. Thanks Kevin!

It pours a slightly hazy orange gold with a 1 finger head of foam. Lots of lacing here and head retention looks to be very good.

The smell has notes of yeast, spice, earthy malt, and slight fruit.

The taste is quite spicy. It has some strongish pepper and light clove along with a fruity sweetness and some light funk and earthy malt. Nice. I get some warming from the alcohol but that doesn't hurt the drinkability too much.

Good medium mouthfeel with lightish carbonation, it finishes slightly bitter, slightly tart. A nice example of the style indeed! (615 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a golden orange color with a HUGE off-white head that reminds me of a freshly poured Duvel. Definitely an impressive pour.

S- The aroma is pale malt with a lot of peppery spices, citrus and yeast.

T- The taste starts out with some pale malt, and also contains pears, spices, earthy hops, yeast and some warmth from the alcohol.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere in the middle of light and medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I enjoyed this brew. The alcohol stands out a little bit but I like the complexity of the different flavors. Definitely worth a try. Recommended! (640 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

From the 2011 batch. Sampled on December 15, 2011. The pour is a decent looking light to golden amber with a bit of a foamy head that slowly diminishes. There are plenty of carbonation bubbles. The aroma is of slightly sweet malts, yeast, and a meaty frutiness along the lines of banana and pear. The hops tingle the nose on the backside. The body is in the medium range with great stability when swirling on the tongue. The yeast and malts hit the palate up front with a stingling, tart hop afterbite that is both mellow and sharp. A likeable Farmhouse ale. (558 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

For my 200th review, I've decided to review this beer. This is probably the only one in the Big Beer series that I've seen around here.

Poured into a goblet. Color is a very nice amber/brown hue with minimal head. Aroma is bold, spicy and malty. Somewhat sweet as well. Taste is much of the same. It starts off warm and spicy, almost chewy. The mouthfeel is really nice as it leaves a sweetness on the back of the tongue. Well-balanced and pretty much what I expect from a saison. A second sip confirms much of the same. The alcohol is well-masked and is barely noticeable.

As for the style, I think it's closer than other saisons I've reviewed. I would rate it higher because of this. An excellent sipping beer. (719 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bottle, 2010 vintage. Served in a tulip glass, the beer pours a gold color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention is decent, but there isn't much lacing left on the glass. Aroma is mostly fruity, it smells like apricots, citrus, peppery spice, earthy/spicy hops and a bit of funk. However, the taste isn't nearly as appealing as the aroma. I can taste the fruity and spicy flavors, but there's also a strong bitter/astringent off-flavor that really isn't saison-like. The bitter/astringent flavor does weaken a little as the beer warms, but it's still noticable enough to hurt the taste of this brew a lot. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and has low/moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't very good, I could finish the bottle but there's no way I would want another one anytime soon. Maybe I got a bad bottle of this, or I might need to try it fresh next time. I was disappointed in this brew since I've liked all the other Smuttynose beers I've tried. (984 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy gold color with a huge off-white head. The head literally filled my glass after the first pour, however it finally settles into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light to medium fruits - pears and green apples - with a good deal of sweetness and a small amount of spices.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sugar-coated pear flavors up front segue into darker green apple flavors before allowing a small amount of spiciness to come out before the ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a very nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I had no problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I feel as though this beer didn't really have much of an identity. The level and intensity of the fruit flavors was right on par but there wasn't a whole lot else going on. Still, a good effort and worth a shot. (916 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellow-orange color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was a huge, foamy, long-lasting head and good (but not great) lacing.

S: A nice aroma of citrus, fruit, malt and esters.

T: Tasted of apples, citrus, pears, malt, yeast and some esters (this is particularly present early on). Very complex and flavorful.

M: A big, biting amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

D: This is one of the most drinkable American versions of a saison out there. Well-made and tasty. (551 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle from Steve's -University Ave

happy new years and such

appearance: pours a bright apricot-orange tone into my bells tulip...frothy beige head and bubbly lace

smell: fairly muted aroma on this one, sweet pear and other fruit, fair amount of yeast, clove and other spice

taste: lots of citrus sweetness, pear, white grape...heavy clove and white pepper components. tame yeast and a heavy sweetness dominate this decent saison

mouthfeel: syrupy and sweet

drinkability: ok (485 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

Bomber (notched 2008, I just bought in Boston last week) poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, the Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale is a dark burnt gold with a large, tight bubbled white head that leave heavy chunks of foam.

Smell is full of saison esters, peppery then tropical fruit, with a hint of rubber and some funky phenols.

Taste is very nice, big saison flavor, very authentic and well done, with no off flavors. Pithy citrus and other fruits dominate, yummy.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated, medium bodied and super clean.

Drinkability is great, a big estery saison, heavy on the fruit, right up my ally. I brew mostly saisons, and this is very similar to my favorite batches, and so really speaks to me. Wish I would have brought back another one of these to share with some fellow saison lovers, as this is one of the best American Saison I've ever had...I need to give this one a showdown with Southampton's Saison Deluxe, wow, it's f-in' good! (956 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1%

2014 Edition: Poured a seethru orange/golden body (maybe tinted red but I can't tell) with a yeasty, Belgian spiced type aroma with bits of citric orange twang and touches of tropical fruit sweetness.
Beer is dry and crisp, and while I didn't get in the nose there are some sour/acidic tart taste notes in this beer mixed with pineapple and other tropical fruits.
The sour notes and sweet fruits balance for complex flavor profiles (at times it felt like sweet pineapple and other times like sour cherry and apple) and beer is smooth with a citric yeast profile that is mild but noticeable.
Maybe not typical saison as the sour/funk profile is not as high as others, and more sweeter that most saisons, but this is a sturdy beer to relax with. (746 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle courtesy of gsisk, I think. Pours a very hazed orange color with a small, off-white head. Not so much on retention and lacing is quite good.

Honey, ripe melon yeastiness and faint grassy hop aroma. Smells good, but a bit on the sweet side.

Yea, its a bit sweet and the yeast isnt as prominent as I would like to see. It is not as dry, crisp and refreshing like I like my saisons. It kinda tastes like a melon-ball salad with honey and sugar drizzled on top. It does have a nice little hop bite on the end. Not bad, about on par with most of decent American-made saisons. Fun to try, and I wouldnt mind having it again sometime. (642 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Served in my Brewery Ommegang 10th Anniversary flute. Poured the color of pale straw. Voluminous head dissipated into a 1/4 inch of foam before settling into a light skim. Thin lacing and adherence during the tasting Refreshing floral nose with a touch of spice and yeast. Taste similar to nose with a slightly peppery bite at the finish. Very refreshing and tasty brew and one of my new favorites from Smuttynose. Wish I discovered this over the summer. (454 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11%

A: Pours a cloudy and vibrant golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Lots of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Earthy, fruity, spicy yeast aromas up front that I really enjoy. Some soapy hops come in next that kind of take over. Like dish detergent.
T: Follows the nose. That great funky, earthy, fruity character. Though almost taken over by soapy detergent like hops.
M/D: A medium body with crisp carbonation. I wish this much more dry and less soapy/oily. Not hard to drink. There is some significant alcohol that is present. Overall, a nice slow sipper.

I get to much soapy hops for some reason. Which detracts a bit for me. Not bad at all, but not what I am looking for in a Saison. (719 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11%

2007 Vintage. Served from tap into a shaker. Poured a hazy golden yellow-orange with a half finger of white head that subsided to a minimal amount upon sitting. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, bananas, and spices. The flavor was of sweet malt, bitter malt, orange juice, and subtle spices. It had a light feel on the palate with low-mid carbonation. Overall this one wasn't that bad, nor was it that great either. I was just glad that the spices weren't overwhelming in this one. Started out to be pretty harsh as far as flavor, but definitely is much better upon warming up some. (587 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a staw yellow / orange-ish color with a nice white head. Aromas that are yeasty with fruity notes. As in the taste, yeasty, spicey and hints of fruitiness. A yeasty mouthfeel, and a spicey aftertaste. A nice yeasty saison, fruity and spicey in the right places. Smooth and nice, and a very good beer. (306 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brilliantly clear deep golden with no head. Aroma is toasted, nutty, slightly farmhouse, with a definite tart, acetic character. Flavor is more earthy, with a touch of fecal character, and a nice tartness. It's lactic and acetic, I believe. Malt sweetness is a bit high, but a nice starter/gateway sour, probably. (313 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a cervoise glass. 2010 vintage.

A: Lots of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. We'll see how that plays out later. At first pour, a clearish light honey-coloured beer. A finger and a half of head fades quickly, leaving heavy lacing behind.

S: Very funky-sour. I'm unsure how I feel about these unripe fruits...though as time passes, my nose seems to detect a mellowing and sweetening of the fruit here. I like it, along with all the strange yeast.

T: These are the sorts of saisons I seek out -- the quirky, unboring ones. I really, really like this beer. The foretaste is initially puckery fruit and a blast of scrumptious Belgian yeast. The maintaste is long and sweet-sour, like kiwi. The aftertaste is full of funky, mildly unpleasant yeast that somehow construes itself to be a plus.

M: Good. Moderate carbonation, puckery-strong mouthfeel mixes with a refreshing drinkability.

O: The ABV of this beer is underplayed and the fruity-yeasty characteristics are played up. Highly recommended to all, those investigating saisons and those who already love them. One of my personal favourites. Would drink again. (1,154 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

22oz bomber courtesy of MrRetardedMonkey poured into a tulip.

Pours a crystal clear golden orange with a decent fluffy white head that dissipated very quickly to a ring with limited lacing.

The aroma is a mixture of bready Belgian yeast, roasted caramel malts and spices. Not that I was expecting a lot, but there was virtually no funk at all.

The taste is a little better than the aroma and had the slight funk I was looking for. There is still the dominant breadiness of the Belgian yeast throughout with significant peppery spices and a good bit of light fruits, peaches and apricots especially.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation.

This is a good saison, though not at the top of my list in the style or of Smuttynose beers I've had. Still tasty. (781 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good beer. Plus the label on the 22oz bottle is cool. It was an orange color with a small head and some nice carbonation. It had a sweet spicy aroma. The taste was fruity up front, followed quickly by the spices. Carbonation was excellent. It had a nice bite to it, and I thought it was fairly robust. A great beer to drink; I will be buying many more in the coming weeks. (387 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale gold colour with enough haze to blur the light shining through. Head is nice and fluffy; sinks slowly but surely and leaves a thin crown of big bubbles. Steady bead, pleasant lace. Looks great.

Smell is very rubbery at first. An unpleasantly bitter phenol comes through which, with training, evolves into a lighter, enjoyable citrus aroma, with tangerine, orange peel and some frangipani as well. Too subtle to wow me, but it's pleasant enough.

Taste is a fairly odd one. Starts a little 'off' with some rank funk giving an almost spoiled-milk flavour, but it's too short-lived to be truly bad. Refreshing early on the palate with subtle citric notes that then turn into more funk, with rubber, marzipan and a savoury, gristly note as well. Touch of barnyard and a slight hint of floral camomile on the back helps lift it late. Can't help but feel like the flavours here would be nicer and blend together nicer if this weren't such a big beer. Not all beers need to be so big and complex, and as a result of it being so, this beer is just a bit overblown.

Bit sharp on the front, smooths out on the middle then very dry on the back. Not bad; suitable for the style.

Yeah, this beer is slightly dour in parts and as such it's just less refreshing than I would like from a saison. Otherwise a decent construction. (1,328 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Label says it was bottled in 2011.

A- Pours a bright orange color with a one finger head that slouches down the an 1/8 inch ring with a spot of surface bubbles in the center and thin foam surrounding it. Quite good lacing as well.

S- Wonderful. Full wafts of ripe banana. Also sense some possible spice.

T- Oh my. I was right about the spice since upfront there's a clove sentiment which leads to those awesome bananas with an all-encompassing sweetness. After a few sips, the alcohol is finally detected and felt. At first, I couldn't tell at all that this was over 9%. Has a fruity finish with some hints of grapefruit. Kickass.

M- Medium carbonation and a solid body with a bit of back-of-the-throat sourness.

O- This is some good sheet, man. I didn't know farmhouse ales could be this...big! Yet it still has all those characteristics I love in the style. I may have found my favorite Smuttynose brew. (944 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

22oz, looks like bottled in 2011 some time. Bright gold pour, thin layer of white.

Aroma, surprisingly malty. Also a fair dose of some citrus and biscuitiness, yeast.

Taste, more citrus and yeasty spice. Plenty of citrus zest. Some bready malt, white pepper, very light mustiness. An herbal note and slight bitterness in the finish.

About mid bodies and pretty thick for the style. Abv is very well hidden, to the point I wonder if the newer batches are lower. Still I hesitate to drink more than half this 22.
A BIG Saison, for the price worth trying to decide for yourself. I wish it was a little smaller. (610 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a shaker pint.

A: Slightly hazy orange-gold body with just a whiff of fine bubbles on top - can't even call this a head. Disappointing.

S: Sweet fruity esters are predominant, with tons of pear and citrus, maybe some pomegranate. Enticing.

T: More intense and straightforwardly yeasty than the nose, but with all the same fruity sweetness up front. This sweetness gives way to some bready malt, floral hops, and dry, fruity alcohol on the finish. Very complex and completely enjoyable.

M: Light to medium body; carbonation starts out sharp and mellows through the course of a sip.

D: A little on the sweet side for me, but still a pleasure to drink.

Notes: Another solid offering from Smutty, this delivers an enjoyable array of estery goodness. Quite different from other Saisons I've had (DuPont, Foret, Hennepin, NG Imperial Saison) in that it's far sweeter, but in its own way this is every bit as good as those (although I'd rather have a Hennepin on tap, and the NG beer was just awesome).

Cheers! (1,034 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Pours a lightly murky and shadowy goldenrod sporting a moderate chalk-colored rise on top.
It's fairly sedate and lethargic, aroma-wise, but notions of sugared pears, white grapes, with yeast- (and partially hop-) driven peppercorns, bay leaves, and driftwood. It smells, actually, very good, you just have to try hard and risk snorting the liquid itself.
Across the mouth, the malt is laid with sourdough bread, golden raisins, bruised pears, and rock candy. It's definitely on the malty side of the style, and the first half has a Maibockesque vibe. Yeast delivers clove and ginger, and just a flash of suede-y funk. It segues with black peppercorn into an equally spicy hop closure, with dried herbs, and wildfire-prone plains. A splash of apple brandy dots the swallow, with background alcohol and sweetness
It's pretty rotund in the mouth, and those used to a spritzy, gassy saison might view this as a lard-ass. I think it works here, because the emphasis is on the malt, thus the saddle bags are apropos, and there is enough slow-n-steady carbonation to move this down the mouth-stomach conveyor belt unfaultingly.

Plain and simple, I like it, and will readily buy a lot more of it at roughly $4 a bomber. It's a steal in my book.
Caveat emptor: those looking for a farmhouse brew funkier than those boxer shorts you left in your gym bag in the trunk of your car all summer will be sorely disappointed, as that is not what this is about. It's all well-showered malts and only faintly musty hops here. (1,512 characters)

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a soapy white head that left some spot lacing as it dissipated. The smell is of juicy fruit, honey, Belgian yeast funk. The taste is of honey, hint of citrus, granny smith apple, some hop, finishes sweet and a tad warm from the alcohol. The feel is moderate bodied with active carbonation, finishes a bit bitter to balance out the brew. A very good American saison and very good saison in general. The taste is pretty much dead on for a saison, can't go wrong with this sample. Maybe not as earthy or complex as some saisons. (563 characters)

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company