Smuttynose Hanami Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: granite on 02-10-2007)
Reviews by silver0rlead:
4.05/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours a brownish red color with a nice beige head that leaves pretty lacing. The aroma has some nice cherry fruit and wheatiness upfront, along with some dark fruits, a little caramel, toasted bread and a lactic sharpnes.The flavor also starts out with some sour cherry initially, followed by some tangy wheat, minty hops, a little funky sourness, and a hint of honey. The mouthfeel is medium with spritzy carbonation, and drinkability is really freaking good. I could see how a lot of people would absolutely deplore this beer as it does have kind of a cherry cough syrup character, but I happen to really like it...it's kind of like a cherry version of festina peche. This beer is a really idiosyncratic creation, that has good complexity and a refreshing sour character that is perfect for a warm spring evening.

silver0rlead, Apr 13, 2010
3.25/5  rDev 0%

SuqMadique, Jul 20, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours from the bottle a hazy orange peach hue with some eggshell foam that leaves spotty lacing as it falls. Aromas of lightly toasted grain and mellow sour cherry juice. There's some light herbal hops in the background along with a touch of yeastiness. Overall though, it seems a bit flat.

First sip brings a light toasted grain malt with a slightly astringent sour cherry. A touch of sweetness comes in midway through along with a touch of spiciness. The brew finishes off with a light yeastiness and some hops as an afterthought.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, but just not too exciting overall. I was hoping for a bit more and the flavor profile just didn't work for me. An interesting brew to try but this one was a miss for me.

orbitalr0x, Jun 12, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Red/orange in color with a small head that did leave some lacing. It had a sweet/sour aroma, couldn't really detect the cherry. On tasting, however, the tart cherry was there. This is a pleasant enough beer which goes well with tuna, but I wouldn't want to drink a lot of them.

lordofthewiens, May 19, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Its body has a bright cherry red color with good clarity. The just off white head is small and soapy. The lager bubbles quickly settle out leaving just a thin layer of foam that just barely covers the beer. Lacing is minimal and very slick.

Smell: The aroma is kind of light and simple. All I really get are notes of tart fruit.

Taste/Palate: Its light to medium body has a sweet/tart syrupy cherry thing going on with light amber maltiness backing it up. A little hop bitterness comes in just at the end to finish things off with a blend of sticky sweet/tart fruit and musty/leafy bitterness. The texture is slick and sticky with not enough carbonation to really cleanse the palate.

Notes: The fruit flavor alright but a bit syrupy and I could see this becoming cloying after more than one. There was carbonation present but not enough for me. I think maybe if it had been bottle conditioned and had more champagne like carbonation it would lift up this beers palate and make it interesting. But that's just my two cents.

generallee, Sep 08, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ouncer with best before dating smartly notched onto the side of the label, allowed to warm up a bit, this one pours cloudy, soft cherry tinged amber, nose is faintly of sugary fruit. Medium tan head, that leaves sheets and loads of scattered dots of nice looking, fine lacing. Mildly sweet but mostly sour brew, moderate fruit and cherry notes picked up. Pleasant enough creation, dont think I would pick up tons more of this stuff , but would be nice on a warm day with dessert. Sort of a lambic for beginners.

Billolick, Apr 06, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

An unexpected handoff at Liquor World...thanks.
Best before April '07...that's not too far off.
Cherry blush color with a short lived finger of bright white head...thin, sporadic lacing.
Inviting in the nose...fresh cherries, pale malt and earthy yeast.
Taste is tart cherries galore...separating itself from others like Redbach, that strike me more like a wine cooler than beer IMO.
A slight sweetness, but the tartness drys up the finish and the yeast adds to the back end, distracting your pallet from thinking this is a fruit beer....it isn't.
Mouthfeel is medium-bodied at best, but not thin or watered-down.
Personally, I'd only enjoy a glass of this in an evening and that's about it...stress "enjoy" as I do like the flavor...just not a session beer for me.

warriorsoul, Feb 25, 2007
3.33/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: redish/brown in color, high carbonation, clear, 1/3 inch head

Smell: toasted malt, earth, and cherry

Taste: toasted malt and dark cherry juice

Mouthfeel: semi-sweet, medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I sort of see this a a cleaner Sam Adams cherry wheat that is perhaps a bit juicier. If you like that then you should enjoy this. While above average, I cannot see myself drinking more than one a sitting.

tigg924, Mar 31, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -52.3%

I bought and ended up trying a bottle of this one yesterday while in Jacksonville, FL. I do like some fruit beers (mostly Lambics...traditional or even some sweeter versions), and I also like something along the lines of Kasteel Kriek.

I had never heard of or seen this Hanami Ale before, but it sounded interesting so I bought a bottle. It said it had cherry and other natural flavors added to it. By the way, the price was $11-12 for a sixpack which seemed unusually high. The high price actually made me think this might be an especially/unusually good brew. Unfortunately, my expectations could not have been farther from the truth!

When I poured it into the glass, everything seemed to look okay. However, when I took a whiff of the aroma, I was taken aback. I expected a cherry aroma, but got something in an off-putting, unpleasant, mild-but-bad sour-ish character instead. Upon tasting this beer, the foulness of it went through the roof. I've never tasted "body odor" before, but I've smelled it, and I now think I know what "the other natural flavors" are that were added to this brew. This brew tasted heavily of some ultra-sweaty guy's gym clothes. It was about 90% B.O., 5% Unsweetened cherry Koolaid crystals, and 5% generic beer. I had to ask myself what the heck Smuttynose was thinking with this brew?!? I've enjoyed tasting some other stuff from Smuttynose so I know they can brew some killer brews. However, this Hanami Ale 12oz bottle was truly awful. Yuck...instant drainpour! Another reviewer on here compared this brew to a trip to trash-dump. That sounds a lot like my bottle. (Did we somehow get the few bad bottles in the whole batch?)

ohmybock, May 22, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Orangey red with a wispy off-white head that rises up minimally and sinks quickly, but leaves a firm cap that lingers long. Webs of oily lace rise up the glass.

Aroma of sweet fruit and some honied malt. Flavor of sour cherry, tart notes, rose petals, aome lactic acid sourness. Dry mouthfeel, finishes crisp, fairly thin body. Interesting beer, but don't need to try another.

far333, Mar 16, 2010
3.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appears a slight hazed deep amber copper hue head is off white khaki beige toned. Lacing is fine and even with each sip down the sides of my Prima Pils conical shaped glass. Aroma is very metallic and when I cracked the bottle it started foaming a bit more than usual. Tart cherries arise with juicy fruit tones as well more the skin earthiness comes through with a copper penny note. Flavor is pretty tart/sour for a fruit beer which is better than the average sugar infused cherry beers that have been popular. It's not funky just a clean cherry skin earthy tart tone coming through flavors lacks the metallic notes I smelled, thank god. Mouthfeel is dry with a finishing bitterness like biting into a cherry stem it's weird, body is lighter than your average carbonation a littler sturdier than the norm. Drinkability overall was interesting especially coming out of a pink labeled japanese hello kitty like label, I wasn't sure what to experience when little japanese girl eats sushi with the golden "hello kitty".

WVbeergeek, Apr 11, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +33.2%

(Served in a pilsner glass)

A- This beer pours a deep dark auburn-red body that is clear. There is a thick light tan head that forms a cloud as it pulls away from the glass but last. It is supported by a sea of tiny bubbles.

S- The bright yet soft smell of cherry stones is blended with a faint brown malt aroma that has a slight sweetness to it.

T- The taste of tart cherries has an earthiness to it which is followed by a soft roasted malt note with hints of toast to it. There is a darker cherry stone flavor that finishes the beer and lingers. This is supported by a faint hop bitterness that increases as the beer warms.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight fizz at the finish.

D- This beer has a very nice cherry flavor that is not artificial, overwhelming, or jammy. There is good malt and hop support that really blend together to make a nice flavor. I could drink several of these in a row, which is saying a lot for a fruit beer.

rhoadsrage, Feb 23, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearance- Lightish-brown. Starts with a nice head but dissipates quickly. Nice bubbles.

Smell- Yeasty.

Taste- Very tart, sour cherry flavor. A trace of a malted flavor seems like it wants to come out but doesn't quite get there.

Mouthfeel- Sort of sticks to the roof of your mouth. You'd think the carbonation would help a little but it doesn't. Just kind of a cloying tartness that wasn't at all appealing.

Drinkability- Hard to stomach. I don't think even as a desert drink it would work since it doesn't refresh or cleanse the palate at all. It looked nice but went downhill from there.

apbarwood, Aug 18, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I just picked this up in NY because it's a Smuttynose I've never seen in OH. To see that it's now retired was kind of a "Holy crap" moment for me.

The color is a sort of bronzed red-brown. A little loose head forms on top but does stay as is. Lacing is light but fairly persistent.
The aroma is interesting, a bit of tartness in front of some lightly toasted malt and wheat and backed by something herbal. What makes it particularly interesting isn't specifically discernible to me, but seems like a yeast aspect I've rearely come across.
The flavor really focuses on cherry juice, much more tart than anything but a touch sweet. Lightly toasted malts are as present as in the smell. Oddly, I get just a ghost of rubbing alcohol in the finish, especially odd for the ABV.
There's a crisp nip to this beer with a bit of smoothness coming in. There's some activity but it still feels just a little thin.
I'm glad I got to try this, especially knowing I can't again. Not a bad fruit beer.

Brenden, Jul 13, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +11.7%

It's an attractive color in the glass... red maple or deep caramel auburn. The head consists of lots of light-weight little bubbles that disperse fairly quickly, living thin foam at the rim of the glass and a sheath of little bubbles across the roof of the beer.

My first mouthful reminded me of sour aluminum. I considered spitting it out, but I kept sipping, and now it's growing on me a little. The carbonation is gentle. There's a bitterness, like cherry pits, that lingers at the back of the tongue and around the edges of the mouth.

I think I may not be a sour beer person, so I may not be the best judge of this one. I might like it better with the right food. I could see this being very nice with the dark-meat portions at Thanksgiving, for example. Some poultry fat might benefit the dry, sour demeanor of this beer and give it some balance.

missginsu, Mar 20, 2008

Smuttynose- Hanami Ale

Appearance- reddish brown with a light pink hue head. Heavy lacing.
Smell- Cherry and cloves.
Taste- Cherry, clove, and pepper.
Mouthfeel- Sweet cherry with a light clove backbone. Crisp with a mild dryness.

Overall- Not bad. A beer I could drink all night but I wouldn't go out of my way for.

NJpadreFan, Feb 13, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Having this one for the occasion of the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC this week.
Poured a coppery color with a spotty head which left a nice lacing on the glass. Not much in the aroma, frankly.
The flavor is definitely much better balanced than I expected. There is a nice tart cherry flavor, but it's not overwhelming, it just feels like it's supposed to be there in the beer. Just a slight bit of malty sweetness rounds out the flavors.
I didn't have high expectations for this one, I was just hoping it would be better than the last cherry beer I had, and it was, but it wasn't anything special really either.

weasbri, Apr 03, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -19.1%

300th Review.

AP: Totally clear, deep amber with high carbonation creating a 1/4" off-white head that is very tight and dense leaving nice rings of lacing behind.

Nose: Smells of malted wheat and red fruits like raspberry and cherry.

Taste: Starts off tart and tangy with some malted wheat over red-berry juice mixing it up and finishing with a very mild herbal hop flavor. The blend of flavors don't really harmonize very well together, the tart and tangy effect overpowers the decent malted wheat flavor and drowns out the hop effect. "Added flavors" indeed.

MF: Light to medium bodied that feels very thin, the well-retained head gives it a nice smooth feel and the carbonation leaves you with a decent bite going down.

DA: I'm usually very impressed with what Smuttynose delivers, that being said, This kind of brew really isn't my thing. Although I have enjoyed "fruity" beers in the past such as the wonderful Sam Adams "Longshot" homebrew contest winner "Boysenberry wheat ale".

GratefulBeerGuy, Mar 02, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

The first noticeable thing about this beer is the extraordinary color when poured into a pint glass. Exceptional!!!! Red hue with a reddish/tan head that lasts. Definitely a fruit beer on the nose...slight malt, but lotsa cherries. Upon taste, you think it's going to be sweeter than it is based on smell, but it's tart which I think is a pleasant surprise. The sweet malts tone it down just a bit, but this is a very cpomplex, well done, well thought out beer. There is that typical Smutty aftertaste, which I've grown to like. IMHO, another hit from Smutty at the right time. I'm not big fruit beer fan, but this won me over. Well done and I can appreciate the Haiku on the six-pack carrier!!!

ITK4ever, Jul 05, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a rich red amber color with a pretty big foamy head. The head lasts and leaves decent lacing. The smell is pungent with "woodiness" and cherry scent to it along with a veggie and bread yeast aroma. The taste has sour cherries making this pretty tart along with a "bisquity' flavor. The m/f is light and the fruit flavors mix well. I'm not much in to fruit beers,but as for cherry beers,this is one of the better ones.

jmz62565, Apr 08, 2007
3.38/5  rDev +4%

Though I probably shouldn't be pouring this into a pint glass, alas, this 12 oz. bottle is going into a pint glass.

Appearance: A nice slightly hazy ruby red color with lots of bubbles floating to the top, which end up contributing to a pretty rocky head at a constant 1" toward the top of the glass. It ends up leaving a nice mix of bubbles on the side along with some decent rings of lacing too.

Smell: As it warms there's hints of sour cherries, slight yeast, some light chocolate, and malt sweetness. Potential to be wonderful, but it's kind of blurry right now.

Taste: Kind of like a watered down chocolate covered cherry in some sense. The first beers I thought of while tasting this were Troegs Mad Elf and Bell's Cherry Stout. Of course the latter being a stout really doesn't compare in some sense, but Mad Elf seems to be the closest thing to this I can put my finger on. However, since the ABV is so low, I feel like that's one thing taking away from this beer, as if Smuttynose wanted to make an almost lighter version and instead of a strong Belgian made a Pale Ale. This is where it suffers. Still, there's enough malt to bring sweetness, while the cherries are tart as all hell and lip smacking. It's not as harmonious as it could be, but this is pleasantly sour, especially when it warms, and though most would rather have a Saison or something like a Flanders Red (and I would too), this certainly is different, kind of light, a bit unbalanced, but interesting enough to keep me drinking and enjoying it.

Mouthfeel: Unfortunately a bit thin and slightly watery, but I think that, along with the lower carbonation levels, for me at least, lets the sour nature of the cherries come through a bit more, which saves this from being lower than the rating I'm giving it right now.

Drinkability: I'm not necessarily surprised by the ratings before me on the rather low side, but I quite enjoyed this for something different, and all in all something pretty ballsy. I'm not sure I would make this a staple, but the six pack I bought proved to be, as I said, something both different and fairly engaging. Yes, the recipe needs to be tweaked to make it a winner, but for now it's an interesting brew, especially for the upcoming spring season.

asabreed, Mar 07, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This looks like like the Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale I first tried 3 days ago. Strange, considering that was a really unique looking (and tasting) beer. The head is very thin, and the color is a blood orange/coppery red. Slow bubbles take their time working their way up to a thin crown.

Aroma is mostly cherry (surprise surprise), also some strawberry and a muted medicinal hint in the background.

Taste: starts tart, continues tart, and finishes tart. The cherry isn't as prominent in the flavor as the aroma, but it's there, and it manages to have a robust maltiness working it's way through the sourness/tartness. It's sweet, but the sweetness is controlled. Brash all the way through.

I feel like I'm drinking soda. This one goes too far into the sourness without having anything else interesting to back that up or carry it along. I will admit it's one month after the Best Before date (Aug. 07), but there's a story there: I arrived home from a trip to NYC on July 31. The suitcase that held several beers inside was not delivered to my house until September 4. (Thank you, Delta Airlines) So maybe this beer is past its prime, but it doesn't taste expired, just poor, and not something I'll try again. The only Smuttynose so far that hasn't made a good impression.

Metalmonk, Sep 05, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Hop Devil Grill. Getting more dunkel and dark beer taste, did not know cherry and got tart cherry. Creamy head with lace. Sour lemony finish and aftertaste. The aroma and the beer are Odd indeed. I don't like fruit beers on average, but points on trying.

Sammy, May 05, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Courtesy of ShogoKawada (thanks!). Curious if this has anything to do with the retired Portsmouth beer of the same name? Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler. Best before August, 2010.

Effervescing body churns out into the glass almost like a Belgian ale. Burnt orange, rufous, and rust body, lightly hazy and crowned by a persistent off-white head which firms as it settles to a half finger. Thick, clingy lacing.

Cherry pits, apricots, caramel, pale malt, and maybe a hint of diacetyl and...corn nuts? Hm.

Toasty pale malt, noble hops (?), and a pleasing tartness blend together on the palate. The cherry adds a hint of sweetness, but is mostly sour. A slightly grainy and savory flavor emerges towards the finish - it isn't quite vegetal (DMS), but doesn't integrate well with the rest of the profile.

Light yet creamy mouthfeel, excellent carbonation.

The malt seems to hold back the potential for drinkability, obscuring the cherry.

An interesting beer, but not well integrated.

augustgarage, Apr 16, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +29.8%

a unique (cherry) fruit enhanced craft brew that didn't disappoint. nice ruby grapefruit cloudy orangey tinted (held to setting sun) color and nice head/lacing. smell is not sweet at all, a bit tart.

taste impact was similar to the DFH Aprihop...not sweet but more tangy and tart. hops add some dimension to round this out wonderfully. full bodied mouthfeel and very drinkable, but not in a session. unless food as a support group was involved. sure, sushi!

mempath, Jul 30, 2009