Smuttynose Hanami Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: granite on 02-10-2007)

rab53, Dec 09, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -64.6%

This beer has a good look to it. Good head and good lace. It has a rusty red color to it. It doesn't smell that good to be honest, kind of like feet.

God, I hate this flavor. It is so sweet, and so intense, I just hate it. It is a very tart beer that leaves a terrible aftertaste. It just plain upsets my stomach.

This beer is just plain bad. But to its credit, it tastes probably like it should. I just should've known better than to get a cherry ale when I hate that flavor.

Amalak, Oct 28, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

Pours a bold reddish brown, similar to cherry wood. Decent sized tan head with some lacing. There are lots of little bubbles rising to the top. Nice looking beer.

Aroma is not so nice. Musty, sharp and sour. Fake cherry aroma - label says it's made with real cherries, but aroma is very candy-like. Basically, it smells like a Luden's cough drop.

Taste was all tangy, sour, and acidic cherry. The canned or jarred candy-ish cherry type of flavor. Not even a pleasant sourness. Mild malts try to peek through to no avail. Not good.

Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Had to pour out after a couple of sips. Hard to choke down. Glad I was able to have this as a single.

Smuttynose makes some top class beers, but this is not one of them.

Lupe, Mar 17, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -52.9%

Pours a nice amber color, a finger of pillowy head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides after settling.

Aroma is some hops, but mostly sour cherry. A little bit of a vinegar-esque scent as well.

Quite sour up front, in a very unpleasant way. A little cherry flavor and a little hops, but the flavor is nearly buried by the sour cherry taste.

Medium body, moderate carbonation.

Not a drinkable beer. Horribly unbalanced. I understand that a fruit beer will have the fruit flavor as it's main taste point, and that's fine - however, this tastes like drinking pureed sour cherries. Now I've got to figure who will drink the other 5 bottles.

Drewcifer, Mar 16, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -52.3%

I bought and ended up trying a bottle of this one yesterday while in Jacksonville, FL. I do like some fruit beers (mostly Lambics...traditional or even some sweeter versions), and I also like something along the lines of Kasteel Kriek.

I had never heard of or seen this Hanami Ale before, but it sounded interesting so I bought a bottle. It said it had cherry and other natural flavors added to it. By the way, the price was $11-12 for a sixpack which seemed unusually high. The high price actually made me think this might be an especially/unusually good brew. Unfortunately, my expectations could not have been farther from the truth!

When I poured it into the glass, everything seemed to look okay. However, when I took a whiff of the aroma, I was taken aback. I expected a cherry aroma, but got something in an off-putting, unpleasant, mild-but-bad sour-ish character instead. Upon tasting this beer, the foulness of it went through the roof. I've never tasted "body odor" before, but I've smelled it, and I now think I know what "the other natural flavors" are that were added to this brew. This brew tasted heavily of some ultra-sweaty guy's gym clothes. It was about 90% B.O., 5% Unsweetened cherry Koolaid crystals, and 5% generic beer. I had to ask myself what the heck Smuttynose was thinking with this brew?!? I've enjoyed tasting some other stuff from Smuttynose so I know they can brew some killer brews. However, this Hanami Ale 12oz bottle was truly awful. Yuck...instant drainpour! Another reviewer on here compared this brew to a trip to trash-dump. That sounds a lot like my bottle. (Did we somehow get the few bad bottles in the whole batch?)

ohmybock, May 22, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -49.8%

A - this ale pours a light brown, with a finger of rocky white head, with small and swift carbonation

S - a rather unpleasant musty aroma, hard to pick out any particulates, you can tell its a sweetened hoppy aroma, but thats about it

T - a dull musty cherry aroma, low quality hop flavor, lack bitterness and sweetness, very bland, with a acidic sweetness

M&D - not very palatable, i will try this again though to make sure i didnt get a bad one. just wasnt very tasty, though i had no problem chugging it to get rid of it

sinstaineddemon, Mar 03, 2007
1.73/5  rDev -46.8%

This beer pours a cloudy amber color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma is of cherries, with a faint malt undertone. The taste is of artificial cherry juice, and is down right nasty with a lingering medicinal finish. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with lots of carbonation. Overall, this is one bad beer. In fact this is a first drain pour I've had in a very long while.

KarlHungus, Sep 18, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -45.2%

A- Dark, reddish amber in color. Lots of frothy, latte-colored head that clung to the sides of the glass making a triangle of foam. The lacing again heavily clung to the side of glass for dear life. Not necesarily bad, but I found it eerie, like the head was trying to escape the body of the beer.

S- Yeast, citrus--especially grapefruit, and chlorine. It kind of smelled like a PBR or some other beer that uses fillers.

T- Sweet, yeasty, with a metallic aftertaste. I could only taste the cherries after it had opened up. EXTREMELY tart, mostly in a sweet-tart kind of way.

M- Very thin and acidic with carbonation that bursts in your mouth like pop rocks.

D- The super-sour, metallic taste, not the alcohol, makes this one hard to drink.

BeckyFreesTibet, Apr 24, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -44.6%

12 oz bottle in pint glass

pours smooth with a thin layer of head that laces nicely. hazy red color. smells of sourness and the breadiness odor of wheat beers.

a sweet sourness and is overwhelming and makes you mouth water and pucker. very strong in flavors that i find undesireable in beers. i enjoy fruit beers but this one is terrible. too much flavor of nothing good.

ph2001, May 26, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -43.7%

had a bottle of this from a recent case split with friends. The label made me want to punch an Asian teenager.

It looked nice. It had a brown/cherry color to it. Which was very appealing.

The smell was strange. I am not sure how to categorize the smell. It sort of smelled like a backpack marinated in marichino cherries. I have never smelled anything like this. My nose now hates me.

It tasted, well, awful. The initial taste was OK but shortly after the initial sip, the overwhelming taste of turpentine and marichino cherries engulfed my mouth. It smelled interesting but the overall tasted was like that of the seat of a used wheelchair.

The mouthfeel was weird also. It was light in the mouth which I guess was good. There is a positive to this beer.

I wouldn't drink this again. In fact, I would rather drink my own urine.

[ serving type: bottle ]

mymrnngjckt, Apr 21, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -42.2%

Well, this is a pretty beer, kind of a cloudy red-amber with a nice head. Smell was interesting, though a bit metallic and sour, with yeasty notes. The flavor was about as odd as I have ever had. Sour, with a tart cherry flavor and an astringent quality. Perhaps paired with something that would complement or offset this it would be better, but as a stand-alone beverage it was nearly undrinkable. I could not finish the bottle. Definitely an acquired taste I have not acquired. Finish was somewhat metallic, too. The beer felt unbalanced--there wasn't enough sweetness or bitterness to offset the sourness, and the metallic off-taste was unpleasant, too. I think I will use the other two bottles in the variety pack to marinate something; maybe a duck.

CupcakeNY, May 17, 2010

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

EvanWilliams, Dec 23, 2012

JAHMUR, Jan 02, 2012

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -37.5%

Interesting. I'll say that much for it. Very interesting.

On the plus side, a beautiful beer. Bold, cherrywood with a pretty tan head, a few trails of lacing.

And now for the minus side.

Smell is musty, sharp and sour. Beer is full, almost chewy, but the chewiness is dashed by a sharp assault of sour cherry. For a moment, the sweetness of the beer bears up against the sourness, and for that moment, this is a good beer; however, the malt crumbles, and you are left with a sourness that then seems to escalate in a vindictive fashion, leaving you with just a hint of cherry, and a whallop of acrid, dry sourness. And then, instead of fading, the sourness gets worse... ten, fifteen seconds after you have swallowed, it's still there, burning slightly, like backwash.

Not able to finish it. Glad I only had one, which was donated by a friend who was trying to erase evidence of the six pack she bought.

I want the beer that this was before they added the sour cherry to it.

Darkale, Mar 22, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -37.5%

Ugh, I had high hopes for this one, but it's just way too sour. The backbone of this beer seems like it would be solid, but the cherry aspect just over-rides that. The mouthfeel is just unappealing and has a "puckering" effect.. With some work, I'm sure it could be a solid beer, but it just isn't there as it is.

Contra, May 31, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -34.5%

Appearance- Lightish-brown. Starts with a nice head but dissipates quickly. Nice bubbles.

Smell- Yeasty.

Taste- Very tart, sour cherry flavor. A trace of a malted flavor seems like it wants to come out but doesn't quite get there.

Mouthfeel- Sort of sticks to the roof of your mouth. You'd think the carbonation would help a little but it doesn't. Just kind of a cloying tartness that wasn't at all appealing.

Drinkability- Hard to stomach. I don't think even as a desert drink it would work since it doesn't refresh or cleanse the palate at all. It looked nice but went downhill from there.

apbarwood, Aug 18, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -33.2%

A- About a 1" thin off white head ona cloudy pink/red body.
S- Sweet and sour fruits, cherries and others things like that. Smells kind of funky almost off but don't think it is.
T- Bitter, sweet, and sour fruits...not good. Cherries, apple, peach, all come out. Dry finish and leaves the tongue with a apple skin feel.
M-Medium body with medium carbonation.
D- Not good! I probably won't even finish this.

BlindPig, Apr 26, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -31.4%

12oz bottle into nonic

Hazy red amber hue with a light tan one finger head that slowly settles to a thin cap.

The malts sit in the background, with the cherries getting most of the attention. The aroma has sort of a mix of chocolate and cherries, similar to what cherry chocolate cake would probably smell like. Or cherry PIMs, if you're familiar with that cookie.

There is some cherry in this one, but that's only the best part. The beer quickly dissolves to a bitter and acerbic unidentifiable fruit-bread mix. The beer is thick as syrup too, with a low amount of carbonation. The finish is lingering whatever...

I wasn't too impressed with this one. I can see where they were going with this, but if you want a cherry flavored beer, go for Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or New Belgium's Frambozen.

BeerSox, Mar 28, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

I hadn't heard of this one before trying a 3 oz. sample at the brewpub. Something was definitely wrong here:

Smell: refried beans
Taste: refried beans!
Mouthfeel: thankfully not much like refried beans. A bit thin, but I couldn't tell what this beer was trying to do anyway.

I'm not sure if someone had been making burritos in my sample glass, but I have a feeling this was not the way the brewer intended it. Too bad my dog wasn't allowed in the pub; he would have loved this!

vitamaltz, Jan 10, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle poured into sam adams uberglass contraption.

APP: Bright cherry red color with a light tan head. Appealing.

SMELL: A bit of a a flat acidity, not much fruit aroma. Some sweet smell to it as it went on, not nearly what I had expected though.

TASTE: Here comes the fruit that wasnt in the aroma- a little much but the malts are a good combniation. Overly tart for the style- maybe not just a fan of the style, but this one falls a bit short on the balance. no hops detected.

MOUTH: A little odd, thick and coating but not in a good way. Astrigency apparent- oily without any spice bite.

DRINK: Didnt find this one all that drinkable. I would say its worth a try but nothing to write home about. One nice point is that there is literally no apparent alcohol.

The tartness did this one in, not a good one from a usually solid brewer.

marcpal, Mar 23, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -26.8%

Appearance is light hazy reddish brown with a thin offwhite head.

Scent is cherries and something vaguely vegetal.

Taste is cherries, both sweet and sour. Something metallic. Tannic cherry skins. It's hard to recognize much else. Little to no hop content.

Mouth is creamy with very low carbonation.

Drinkability is low for me.

I finally found a Smuttynose beer I don't like. Drank half the bottle and poured the rest.

sethmeister, May 23, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -26.8%

BB July - 07

Hazy scarlet red appearance. Thin dirty white head. Lace is moderate. Aroma is cherry juice and toasted malts. Flavor is really bland. Kind of grundgey and muddy. Earthy. Not very bright for a fruit beer. Body is medium. Lightly carbonated. Very forgetable.

Bighuge, Apr 13, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -26.2%

Red-orange in color, cloudy. Good start to the head. It has some lasting power and leaves a nice ring on the glass.

A complex collection of aromas--no cherry per se, but the smell is overall sour. I'm reminded (negatively) of the Cranberry Lambic from Sam Adams, although not nearly as strong.

This is a little like drinking the liquid equivalent of a fruit tart. Quite sour without the lip-puckering qualities. The tartness lasts through the swallow, leaving the aftertaste relatively unquenching. Some beers grow on me as I drink them, this one is doing the opposite.

I love interesting beers; this certainly will offer a lot to discuss. While I'm not a big fan, I'm very glad to have tried this beer at least once.

smcolw, May 13, 2007