Smuttynose Hanami Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: granite on 02-10-2007)
woosterbill

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -6.2%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. This one has been kicking around my cellar for far too long, left there after I bought a sixer for my wife a couple years back. I disliked it back then, and I'm curious to see how some time has treated it.

A: Uh oh: I don't remember this being ridiculously overcarbonated. The opaque reddish-brown body looks rather muddy, and is topped by a solid off-white head that towers a full inch over the top of the tulip - i.e., it's ginormous. I wonder whether there might not have been some secondary fermentation going on; in a fruit beer, that could actually be pretty great.

S: Meh. Weak caramel malt, faint cherry, and some lactic tartness. Slightly plastic-like. Not too great, but definitely interesting.

T: Tart up front, with cherry-skin leading in to some lightly chocolatey malt and a rather muddled, sweet + sour finish. I really like the chocolate-covered cherry flavors up front, but overall it's less than well-integrated.

M: Painfully overcarbonated, even after multiple swirls have created multiple heads.

O: I'm going to give this a slightly higher Overall score than the others, just because I don't think I should penalize the beer's average by giving it a negative score a couple years after the best-by date. I would have rated this beer a C+ when it was fresh, so that's what I'll shoot for here.

09-08-2011 01:39:42 | More by woosterbill
Brenden

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%

I just picked this up in NY because it's a Smuttynose I've never seen in OH. To see that it's now retired was kind of a "Holy crap" moment for me.

The color is a sort of bronzed red-brown. A little loose head forms on top but does stay as is. Lacing is light but fairly persistent.
The aroma is interesting, a bit of tartness in front of some lightly toasted malt and wheat and backed by something herbal. What makes it particularly interesting isn't specifically discernible to me, but seems like a yeast aspect I've rearely come across.
The flavor really focuses on cherry juice, much more tart than anything but a touch sweet. Lightly toasted malts are as present as in the smell. Oddly, I get just a ghost of rubbing alcohol in the finish, especially odd for the ABV.
There's a crisp nip to this beer with a bit of smoothness coming in. There's some activity but it still feels just a little thin.
I'm glad I got to try this, especially knowing I can't again. Not a bad fruit beer.

07-13-2011 02:11:58 | More by Brenden
ggilman

Maine

4.6/5  rDev +41.5%

2009 Vintage* at Smuttfest 2011, Novare Res, Portland, Maine. Full 16oz. pour in a pint glass.

* The description on the special draft list notes that this is the last keg of Hanami on the PLANET!

Looks like a typical pale ale, but with a pink tinge around the edges. Poured almost to the top of the glass with very little head, what is there is tight and short. Sweet fruity nose, cherries come through. Super crisp and refreshing. The cherries are almost an overtone, like a black cherry seltzer. Tight sharp mouthfeel. Exceptionally DRY! Not sweet at all. Almost immediately fades, and leaves you puckered. Tart and sour apples and cherries. Could easily become addictive.

Really enjoyable. Here's hoping there's a couple kegs stashed on the space station.

07-11-2011 02:27:19 | More by ggilman
jsdunlop

3.4/5  rDev +4.6%

Light Red/orange color with a decent blanket of head that hangs around long enough to provide some layering on the glass. Smell is of faint cherry, cooked veggies, and a light sweetness. Taste starts out with cherry that is quite sour and tangy, followed by an overwhelming dryness in the mouthfeel that leads into a light and refreshing bitterness. Hardly any sweetness from the malts detectable in this beer, a very light mouthfeel with no real noticeable hop presence as well. Overall, this was a nice change of pace from other beers, reminds me of a nice, light and tart summer beer.

01-09-2011 00:22:47 | More by jsdunlop
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

3.8/5  rDev +16.9%

I found this in the back of the fridge. I bought it in the early spring if I remember correctly. Pours an opaque orange/copper with an off-white head in a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Smell is faint. I get a little malt and perhaps some fruit. Being this old may have had a mellowing effect on the cherry aroma. The flavor is really nice however, much better than I remember in the spring. It actually tastes like an ale; I can taste the malts and hops and it has a pleasant note of sweet fruit and tart cherries. Not bad. Not bad at all. It's an unusually warm New Year's eve afternoon in Atlanta and this beer is certainly not out of place.

Mouth feel is good. It's refreshingly carbonated and medium on the palate. There's no reason I wouldn't drink one or two more, but this is all I have.

In summary, this is better, in my opinion, than I remember when I first purchased it in the early spring. The fruit/cherry factor has mellowed into a very drinkable ale. I wish I had another left somewhere. Another example of the excellent Smuttynose brewers. They make an excellent range of really good beer. Probably my favorite of the brewers readily available in Atlanta. Right up there with Founders.

12-31-2010 20:56:07 | More by airheadmtrcycle
Genuine

Connecticut

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this from a sampler pack.

Poured out orange, with a slightly off white head. I was hoping it would be red or pink in color, to go along with the label but I guess the nice lacing will have to do!

Smell - Lots of malt in this one, with some hops showing up at the very end. Hints of cherry/fruits.

Taste - Very tart, lots of cherry flavor that the malts carry easily, with a drop hop finish at the very end. Taste sticks to the pallet very well and sticks around. I was hoping it would get better as the beer warmed up, but the flavor profile became stronger.

Mouthfeel - medium to light.

Drinkability - I had a hard time finishing one bottle. The flavor, sweetness and cherry was very cloying and a bit too tart for me. It was nice to try but won't be having again. The cherry love might like this one, but not a beer for my citrus loving taste-buds.

11-05-2010 15:35:42 | More by Genuine
generallee

3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Its body has a bright cherry red color with good clarity. The just off white head is small and soapy. The lager bubbles quickly settle out leaving just a thin layer of foam that just barely covers the beer. Lacing is minimal and very slick.

Smell: The aroma is kind of light and simple. All I really get are notes of tart fruit.

Taste/Palate: Its light to medium body has a sweet/tart syrupy cherry thing going on with light amber maltiness backing it up. A little hop bitterness comes in just at the end to finish things off with a blend of sticky sweet/tart fruit and musty/leafy bitterness. The texture is slick and sticky with not enough carbonation to really cleanse the palate.

Notes: The fruit flavor alright but a bit syrupy and I could see this becoming cloying after more than one. There was carbonation present but not enough for me. I think maybe if it had been bottle conditioned and had more champagne like carbonation it would lift up this beers palate and make it interesting. But that's just my two cents.

09-08-2010 13:33:32 | More by generallee
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint. Best before section to notch on label but no notch.

A - Hanami pours a hazy, rosy amber color with pink highlights and a creamy bone colored head. Two fingers of the sticky stuff slowly lower leaving a rich collar of beautiful lace.

S - Pale and amber malts join rather plainly around a mild syrupy-sweet cherry aroma. Not much is going on in this beer at all. A tiny hint of butter comes across the finish as well. No hop presence at all.

T - Tart cherry is upfront but more prominent in tartness than true cherry flavor. Sweet and simple pale and amber malts back up the little jolt. It leans towards a syrupy flavor but it's not too bad.

M - Tart and hard with a higher carbonation level up front and a medium body on the back end. Very dry as well.

D - Moderate drinkability for what it is, I was drawn in by the little Asian label. The single is plenty of this sweet, lightly tart beer for me. Not one of my favorites from Smuttynose.

07-26-2010 12:07:05 | More by BeerFMAndy
tone77

3.3/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brown color with some hues of red. Smell is of cherries. Taste is of tart cherries, a bit of hops, slightly bitter at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is an interesting and pretty good brew.

07-03-2010 14:57:13 | More by tone77
DrDemento456

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

I love trying a new fruit beer and this one hit my mix and match place! A bit weary since I found out it was brewed in spring but here we go.

A - Expected for some reason it to pour like cherry red colored but it poured a typical brown color with a hint of read and a nice white head.

S - Smelled great! The fruit and wheat smells clashed beautifully in my nostrils!

T - Well it was tart and cherry like without much sweetness to balance so it tasted a bit harsh but the wheat backbone even gave it a more bitter tone. One aggressively flavored fruit beers.

M - Well body was medium light but the flavors were constant.

D - Well I did get what I wanted out of the beer but with more of a sour cherry flavor that was unexpected. Was a pretty good fruit beer though without being too artificial.

07-02-2010 19:42:55 | More by DrDemento456
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Fair fruit brew, a bit too sweet but with an adequate sense of balance and drinkability.

Presentation: 12 oz brow capped bottle. Label offers a photograph of Japanese characters eating toy sushi under cherry blossoms. It has an vaguely notched "best before" side scale. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Hazy deep deep amber-copper pour, 1/4 head with moderate to low retention, and poor lacing.

S - Fruity nose, lightly cherry, sweet with a small malty sense.

T - Fruity character over a light malt backbone, tiny hoppy bitterness with a sour hint that does not quite show its face. There is a floral touch that I can not quite recognize...

M - Medium body with medium carbonation. Initially it feels rather aggressive but the bubbles subside quite a bit reaching a good mouthfeel albeit they maintain a forward presence with a small dry finish.

D - It's a fair fruit brew, albeit a bit repetitive without enough of a hook up in the finish.

Notes: Seasonal opportunity aside (this thing is showing up like weeds around the DC region using the Cherry Blossom season as an excuse), it is not particularly bad, but neither it is particularly remarkable or enjoyable. For a moment it feels like a closeted Berliner Weisse, pretending to be tougher and without the sour notes.

06-21-2010 03:26:45 | More by Daniellobo
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a solid pale ale color with a pink tinge to it and a tightly bubbled head that recedes gradually. Smells of sweet bready toasted malt with a tart non-descript fruit aroma. Taste is sweet malt bready with a hint of caramel. Tart almost sour fruit washes across the palette and never leaves. Dry bitter finish with a lingering sour cherry almost lemony taste. Crisp carbonation, light to medium body and tart fruity mouthfeel. Honestly this is one of my favorite smutty seasonals. Its light and tart and oh so flavorful although maybe a bit one dimensional. I'd love to see a version of this barrel aged or spiked with brett personally.

06-11-2010 22:44:09 | More by johnnnniee
aepb1

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Opaque brown with a white head

S- Slightly sweet and a little malty

T- Cherries and apple up front, some caramel malts follow and fruits bring some bitterness with them as well

M- Light but slightly creamy... very smooth mouthfeel

D- Nice change of pace and average drinkability

06-07-2010 17:35:16 | More by aepb1
tchenery

2.45/5  rDev -24.6%

Beer is a reddish brown. Not quite orange, but a red-orange for sure. It smells like cherries, which should be obvious. there is no head whatsoever even though I believe it's bottle conditioned.

Beer tastes like the jelly cherry filling for cherry pie that comes in a can, but more sour and tart.

I guess if you're into the sour thing, or you're looking for a tart beer, this would be good, but I'm not impressed. This is the first and probably only offering from Smutty I have not enjoyed immensely.

06-05-2010 00:42:08 | More by tchenery
seh410

2.8/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: Dark amber opaque reddish in color, minimal head

Aroma: Shockingly smell-less. This beer literally smells like nothing - how is that possible?

Taste: Full cherry flavor lingers → not overly powerful but comes out on the other side in a very floral way. This beer definitely has a sour bite to it. Not sure if I like it or not.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty light and watery. Nothing to remark upon.

Drinkability: Theoretically you could drink a couple - there is nothing about Hamani Ale that makes it difficult to drink besides the taste. I have a 6-pack of this and I've only drank one. I have no desire to go back for more. This beer just isn't that good.

06-04-2010 17:04:34 | More by seh410
silentjay

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

pours an interesting slightly hazy light mahogany-copper color with a nice sized eggshell colored head that retains ok, and leaves a bit of lacing.

a tiny bit of sweet (not tart) cherries adds to the slight bready malt and yeast aromas.

starts off with a metallic flavor which slowly transforms into a tart and dry cherry flavor (unripened dark cherries) and plenty of grainy maltiness. finishes with a bit more tartness that struggles to assert itself over the artificial flavors and sweetness that comes through strongly.

light bodied with a bit of light carbonation. leaves some drying and tartness on the tongue.

goes down average. not fruity, not sweet, not tart, not sour, not beery. artificial-tasting flavors are a bit too prevalent in this one.

05-31-2010 05:53:53 | More by silentjay
cbutova

3.9/5  rDev +20%

A- Pours very dark red with some very nice cherry red hues where light gets in around the edges. A creamy one finger head forms with decent retention. A pretty thick coat of very fine lace is left by very sticky suds.

S- Sweet cherries up front with caramel malt. Some grainy notes from the malt as well in a simple smell. Fairly good strength.

T- Slightly tart cherries, apples and dark fruit up front. A medium level of sweets. Light caramel malt behind the fruit. Some viney notes, like that of a cherry stem or fruit pit. No significant hop presence, a simple balance of malt and fruit flavors. Fair amount of bitterness.

MF- Light body that forms the line between creamy and watery. High carbonation slightly stings the tongue. Coat of cherry and stem notes coats the palate.

DB- A pretty light beer. I personally wouldn't session it but would rather enjoy one or two bottles. The cherry flavor may get overbearing after too many. It is nice to see fruit flavor utilized in a good way. A solid fruit beer with simple, balanced flavor. I don't know what people expect of a fruit beer, I think this is a good one.

05-29-2010 05:32:54 | More by cbutova
BlackBearForge

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle dated: Best before August 2010

Hanami Ale pours an appropriately cherry colored amber, cloudy with a nice off white, slightly berry tinged head. Lacing doesn't stick around after the head falls to a creamy ring.

I actually detect little aroma from this beer other than a clean, sharp and slightly sweet fruitiness.

The flavor is initially a full maltiness rapidly taken over in the middle by a distinct cherry tartness. It is moderately sweet and I detect little in the way of actual bitterness except for a touch in the lingering finish. Tart cherry is what this beer is all about. Warming brings out more traditional beer notes that are covered up by the "cherriness" when the beer is cooler and the cherry becomes fuller, more rounded.

Mouthfeel approaches medium but stays decidedly on the like side but is just a bit creamy and very very smooth and the carbonation is dialed right in. Warming makes this beer feel fuller in the mouth as well.

Fruit beers really aren't my thing but I like to keep an open mind especially where Smuttynose is concerned. I like this beer, I do not think I would look forward to buying it as a seasonal but as far as fruit beers go it is crisp, tart and very refreshing. On second thought I may very well crave one or two of these every Spring.

05-28-2010 22:30:13 | More by BlackBearForge
CupcakeNY

1.88/5  rDev -42.2%

Well, this is a pretty beer, kind of a cloudy red-amber with a nice head. Smell was interesting, though a bit metallic and sour, with yeasty notes. The flavor was about as odd as I have ever had. Sour, with a tart cherry flavor and an astringent quality. Perhaps paired with something that would complement or offset this it would be better, but as a stand-alone beverage it was nearly undrinkable. I could not finish the bottle. Definitely an acquired taste I have not acquired. Finish was somewhat metallic, too. The beer felt unbalanced--there wasn't enough sweetness or bitterness to offset the sourness, and the metallic off-taste was unpleasant, too. I think I will use the other two bottles in the variety pack to marinate something; maybe a duck.

05-17-2010 17:53:16 | More by CupcakeNY
deaconoflove

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Ap. Cloudy dark coppery golden brown. Nice head on the second pour.
Sm. Sourish cherry with some hops in the back.
Ta. Sour cherry beer in a good way. Not too fruity at all, just right. A very pleasant beer with a bit of cherry in the background. A tad sweet.
Mf. Light and mildly carbonated.
Dr. Nice to drink, I could to a second one. But, the fruit background does not allow more than one or two.

05-02-2010 17:38:08 | More by deaconoflove
Petrislav

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev 0%

12oz poured into pint glass

A: A tan shaving cream head sits on top of a foggy auburn brown brew

S: Mild notes of general ale smells, plus a whiff of cherries

T: Clean hops, then tart, very dry cherry, dry like wine

M: Tart, pucker

D: Half is enough

04-30-2010 19:29:11 | More by Petrislav
BeckyFreesTibet

New Hampshire

1.78/5  rDev -45.2%

A- Dark, reddish amber in color. Lots of frothy, latte-colored head that clung to the sides of the glass making a triangle of foam. The lacing again heavily clung to the side of glass for dear life. Not necesarily bad, but I found it eerie, like the head was trying to escape the body of the beer.

S- Yeast, citrus--especially grapefruit, and chlorine. It kind of smelled like a PBR or some other beer that uses fillers.

T- Sweet, yeasty, with a metallic aftertaste. I could only taste the cherries after it had opened up. EXTREMELY tart, mostly in a sweet-tart kind of way.

M- Very thin and acidic with carbonation that bursts in your mouth like pop rocks.

D- The super-sour, metallic taste, not the alcohol, makes this one hard to drink.

04-24-2010 01:05:10 | More by BeckyFreesTibet
donkeyrunner

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Hanami is the Japanese custom of cherry blossom watching. I guess that's like New Hampshire leaf peepers. Pinkish amber color. Good retention with lacey webbing from beginning to end. Smuttynose beers always look great.

Hallmark Smuttynose grainy and earthy sweet aroma that I love so much...but with cherries. More tart than sweet cherry flavor with hints of nutmeg or cinnamon (maybe both) . Earthen, toasted malt. I bought this 6 pack about a month ago and some of the tartness has faded. I like that.

In between a lambic and a typical fruited light ale but never really settling between the two. One of my least favorite Smuttys.

04-22-2010 21:58:49 | More by donkeyrunner
Kinsman

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Presents itself with a pleasant copper color with lighter red highlights and a decent light-tan colored head. Not too much retention on the head but leaves a decent lacing on the walls of the glass.

Smell is more subdued than one would expect. Cherry and other fruit notes are noticeable but not overwhelming.

Taste is welcoming with a decent malt profile before the cherry juice comes in. Personally, cherry is not a flavor I like a lot, but I wanted to give this brew a chance anyway. Smuttynose does manage to pull it off pretty well though, with a decent tart flavor but not a palate buster.

Enjoyable medium body feel with carbonation being just right. Overall a better than expected beer, but nothing I'm going to seek out year after year.

04-17-2010 00:51:02 | More by Kinsman
augustgarage

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Courtesy of ShogoKawada (thanks!). Curious if this has anything to do with the retired Portsmouth beer of the same name? Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler. Best before August, 2010.

Effervescing body churns out into the glass almost like a Belgian ale. Burnt orange, rufous, and rust body, lightly hazy and crowned by a persistent off-white head which firms as it settles to a half finger. Thick, clingy lacing.

Cherry pits, apricots, caramel, pale malt, and maybe a hint of diacetyl and...corn nuts? Hm.

Toasty pale malt, noble hops (?), and a pleasing tartness blend together on the palate. The cherry adds a hint of sweetness, but is mostly sour. A slightly grainy and savory flavor emerges towards the finish - it isn't quite vegetal (DMS), but doesn't integrate well with the rest of the profile.

Light yet creamy mouthfeel, excellent carbonation.

The malt seems to hold back the potential for drinkability, obscuring the cherry.

An interesting beer, but not well integrated.

04-16-2010 02:27:28 | More by augustgarage