Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Smuttynose Hanami Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Hanami AleSmuttynose Hanami Ale

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Sycodrummer on 12-10-2006

3.26/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a copper orange with a thin white cap and good carbonation action. Aroma is bready, musty, tart fruit. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a lot of fizzy carbonation, spiky on the tongue. Taste is dry, yet fruity, with a bready yeast quality and little to no hops. A little sourness and tartness, yet some woody earth in the finish. Drinkability is moderate. Overall this beer is fair but I would not seek it out again; I bought this as a single because of the label. I'll stick to DFH Festina Peche as my go-to summertime fruit-influenced beer. (547 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap at prime 16 in new haven ct.

Poured in a small hoegarten style 10 I'd tumbler.
Darker than what I expected from the bartender's description of a saison.

Flavor is a very nice, mild cherry tartness. A fruit beer I could easily enjoy during hot summer months. (269 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass pours a brown with a fluffy head that leaves nice lace on the glass. This beer has a smell of cherry syrup, not overpowering just a faint cherry smell. Taste is tart up front with a nice malt backbone, cherry flavor on the finish, the cherry taste to me has a wax feel to it. A bit bitter on the end not overwhelming. Overall a decent beer, not great. (376 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +4%

Smuttynose Hanami Ale pours a reddish brown with a tan colored head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is kind of malty with no hint of cherry and frankly not very impressive. The flavor starts off kind of malty, almost a nut brown ale type flavor. Then a tart cherry flavor appears toward the middle and is definitely noticeable in the aftertaste. This beer is interesting, I think it's definitely drinkable, not really what I had expected but good. Worth a try. (472 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance is light hazy reddish brown with a thin offwhite head.

Scent is cherries and something vaguely vegetal.

Taste is cherries, both sweet and sour. Something metallic. Tannic cherry skins. It's hard to recognize much else. Little to no hop content.

Mouth is creamy with very low carbonation.

Drinkability is low for me.

I finally found a Smuttynose beer I don't like. Drank half the bottle and poured the rest. (422 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -50.6%

I bought and ended up trying a bottle of this one yesterday while in Jacksonville, FL. I do like some fruit beers (mostly Lambics...traditional or even some sweeter versions), and I also like something along the lines of Kasteel Kriek.

I had never heard of or seen this Hanami Ale before, but it sounded interesting so I bought a bottle. It said it had cherry and other natural flavors added to it. By the way, the price was $11-12 for a sixpack which seemed unusually high. The high price actually made me think this might be an especially/unusually good brew. Unfortunately, my expectations could not have been farther from the truth!

When I poured it into the glass, everything seemed to look okay. However, when I took a whiff of the aroma, I was taken aback. I expected a cherry aroma, but got something in an off-putting, unpleasant, mild-but-bad sour-ish character instead. Upon tasting this beer, the foulness of it went through the roof. I've never tasted "body odor" before, but I've smelled it, and I now think I know what "the other natural flavors" are that were added to this brew. This brew tasted heavily of some ultra-sweaty guy's gym clothes. It was about 90% B.O., 5% Unsweetened cherry Koolaid crystals, and 5% generic beer. I had to ask myself what the heck Smuttynose was thinking with this brew?!? I've enjoyed tasting some other stuff from Smuttynose so I know they can brew some killer brews. However, this Hanami Ale 12oz bottle was truly awful. Yuck...instant drainpour! Another reviewer on here compared this brew to a trip to trash-dump. That sounds a lot like my bottle. (Did we somehow get the few bad bottles in the whole batch?) (1,663 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours out a lightly hazy burnt orange color. Almost deep ruby, but not quite. The head forms fairly nicely, though at first glance, it looks like it will disappear quickly. This looks unmistakably like beer, and a pretty good one at that. The smell is interesting. A bit less cherry than I expected. There's some cherry, almost in the form of cherry cough syrup. But the smell really reminds me of some light malts with some underattenuated yeast, powdery, a little bit sweet, with a bit of a caramellized smell. I certainly don't like the taste as much as I do the appearance and smell. As far as the fruit presence is concerned, it's lackluster at best. It's like someone took some cherry syrup and dumped it in a english pale ale or a watered down brown ale. The maltiness is pleasant. Kind of bready and sweet, but nothing impressive. Absolutely no hop presence. I was kind of hoping for some tartness - I mean, you can kind of get it way off in the lingering finish, but it doesn't actually remind me of cherry tartness. Though, I would definitely be willing to wager that someone could make a much worse cherry beer. The mouthfeel is a touch thin, particularly for the sweetness I get in here. The carbonation is kind of light, pretty much on the low side of a perfectly happy medium. Average I'd say on this one. This certainly isn't the best beer I've ever had, not the worst. A different sort of thing, though I think the cherry flavor could have been better executed. I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid it, but it's really more of a "let's see what I've never had before throw in", and it wasn't too expensive to the be last beer in a mixed six. (1,652 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

A- pours a clear reddish copper color with a large foamy head. Decent lacing and retention.

S- A sweet maltiness, a hint of cherries if you're looking for them.

T- A very tart maltiness, the cherries come through in the end. A hint of spices throughout.

M- Light bodied and flat. Definitely needs some more carbonation.

D- One is enough for me.... (351 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic pint glass. Appears a clear crimson/chestnut color with a finger of fizzy off white foam. No lacing to speak of. Flavor and aromas are of grassy. earthy hops, lightly toasted grains, and very subtle notes of cherry - skins, juice, etc. At the very least, this ale is medium bodied with medium to moderate carbonation. Crisp and quenching. (381 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -14.3%

smuttynose hanami ale

4 saddle brown with hints of pale copper, fairly persistent head and lace
3 cooked cherries and nondescript "light beer" smell
2.5-3 the fruit concentrate tannins (?) as with some other similar beers i've tried, carry away much of the taste and abruptly cut short the finish, leaving little more than a faint astringency. not much flavor here in any event.
3.5 decent enough mouthfeel
2.5 will not have this again, even irritated the ole tongue. (469 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My daughters like cute Japanese things like maneki neko so I guess I bought this bottle as a tribute to them (plus I like Smuttynose). I bought it as a single in Atlanta a couple weeks ago because Smuttynose distribution skips the state of OH. The beer is dark orange-to-brown color with an off-white or slightly pink froth, lots of delicate lacing. It doesn't smell like cherry juice as I imagined it would, I get more toasted malts and a hint of cherry. The cherry flavor comes through more in bitterness than sweetness, like eating the bit of cherry next to the pit or maybe like eating dried cherries where the sweetness is not so evident. More malty than hoppy, and the cherry in the after-taste is more pleasant than the initial bite. The body is about standard I guess, not too heavy and not too light, with good carbonation. Not a beer I'll turn to again but an interesting distraction. (894 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Pours a deep, glowing, slightly hazy reddish-brown. The head is very large, dense, and frothy, with the same brownish-red tint. Retention is very nice, and as the head fades, it becomes a bit rocky and chunky. Some nice lacing as well.

S: Not getting a ton of cherry aroma here. Toasted malt and earthy hops are mostly at work. A hint of tart cherry aroma lingers in the background.

T: A toasty, vaguely wheaty malt bill up front. Again, earthy notes provide quite a bit of flavor and a slowly building bitterness. A very tart cherry flavor pops up halfway through and sticks around awhile. There's almost a dried fruit character to this one. Interesting, and not sweet in the slightest.

M: Medium body. Carbonation is somewhat tingly. A rather dry, tart astringency - a bit wine-like in that regard.

D: Huh...interesting. Not really what I was expecting, but I like where they went with this. The cherry flavor actually tastes like cherry juice - tart and astringent, rather than some sort of popsicle flavor many other fruit beers apparently aim for. Worth a try for sure - a highly unique brew. (1,108 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +15.2%

I'm drinking Japanese, I think I'm drinking Japanese, I really think so...

The label makes me think I'm drinking something from a Japanese cartoon...I've always liked Smuttynose in the past, let's see how they do with a fruit beer.

Appearance - Cloudy reddish orange color with a gorgeous 2 finger fluffy off-white head. Decent lacing abounds.

Smell - The scent seems to be an enigma here...I'm getting caramel, a slight cherry odor (not necessarily fresh tart cherries though), toffee and malt. Complex nose.

Taste - Wheat up front, malty and bready with a watered down tart cherry taste. Seems like the more it warms, the more the flavors seem to hit. This is unlike any brew I've had in the fruit/vegetable genre. Not in a bad way per se...but it does seem to try to redefine the style.

Mouthfeel - As much as this seems like a watered down version of a lambic to me, it's surprisingly not watery on the mouthfeel. It's creamy, almost verging on oily to me. Rather low on the carbonation end of the spectrum.

Drinkability - The low ABV definitely lends to the sessionability. It almost seems like it would be an acquired taste, but I could see taking this on the boat or on a mountain biking outing. I could drink several of these without being tired of it I think. Different for the style, doesn't kick like a lambic, but worth a try. (1,344 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy yellow brown with a large white head.

S - Hints of tart cherries. Not much going on for me in this one.

T - Surprisingly, I'm not greeted by a cherry forefront. I get hit with malt, hops, and a sweet finish of tart cherries. Somewhat wheaty and even bready.

M - Heavy in carbonation and light in body. Very bubbly mouthfeel.

D - I could slug these all night long. I was not expecting much from this and I was pleasantly surprised. Might become my new "poor man's" lambicish beer. (492 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

slightly fruity and tart aroma, has a smell similar to sort of your generic ale, roasted barley but not to a sweet, stout-like extent, with this fruity quality to it. Pours a deep reddish hue of dark copper. head is slightly pinkish. tastes a bit tart and sweet, obviously a bit cherry-like but its a conservative use of the flavor.. its subtle but present and nicely done, much more like a beer than cherry soda. the tart aspect of it is very present and interesting. Sort of an acidic aftertaste though that can be a bit unpleasant, pretty sour.. Mouth is light, though not thin, and easy to drink. Very refreshing all around and nice. (637 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - murky red/brown color with an off-white head that thinned to a ring.

S - sour cherries with some malt in the background.

T - tart cherries and not too much else.

F - medium/full bodied with fizzy carbonation.

D - one is good, thank you. (290 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a reddish-brown color and a cloudy texture. There was a small amount of foamy head and some good lacing.

S: A super sweet smell of cherries and malt.

T: Taste consisted of cherries, malt and a small hops presence. Very sweet, very tart - a little overwhelming in my opinion.

M: Highly carbonated with a slick finish. Light-bodied.

D: The Hanami goes down easy - it's very lightweight like a lambic - but is awfully sweet for me. (477 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Well, it at least looks like cherry juice - definitely a tint but still translucent.

Smell: Like a standard lager with a hint of cherry.

Taste: Sweet and tart, this needs 2-3x as much cherry. Taste is more dried cherries than cherry juice or fresh cherries. Bit of caramel and some light malt with sourdough bread.

Mouthfeel: Sweet fullness

Drinkability: Forgettable, cute label though. Gets redundant and boring 1/2 way through the bottle, no need for a second. (479 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Best before Sept 09.

3.5 A: Opaque mahogany color. One finger of creamy head with below average retention and moderate lacing.

3.5 S: Not really any cherry in the nose. Smells a lot like a Munich Helles.

3.5 T: Tastes like a half-assed lambic. Not bad though, but very different than I thought. Sourness comes through, but isn't very strong. Cherry finally shows up to the party. Good, but I'd rather see this beer go to the limit and be much more sour.

3.5 M: Medium body. Very creamy, but in desperate need of more carbonation.

3.5 D: One's enough, but I'm not pissed I drank it. (612 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Japanimation characters dancing amidst sushi adorn the label. Mt. Fuji looks on in silence. Hmmm. I decrown the longneck and a brisk pour into my Duvel tulip yields a reddish-copper body shaded with a little haze and capped with a fine spongy lid of ivory foam. Fine sheeted webs of lacing mark the passing drink.

The smell is sweet and malty with a fine backbone of caramels and toffee. A dash of fine, crisp, acidic juicy cherry tartens things up, and the profile suddenly has me thinking of dark Belgian ale. A whiff of grassy spice pleasantly complicates matters further.

The taste is mild and indistinctly malty with a hefty splash of tart and bitter unsweetened cherry soda. Brisk carbonation and a medium body accentuate the pop-like notion, the duo of attributes serving double duty in lightening the Hanami Ale's load on the palate and enhancing its drinkability by a good measure. (892 characters)

Poured into Pint glass

Appearance: Very dark burgundy/red color, hazy, looks like a wheat beer. The head is an inch thick and off white in color.

Smell: Cherries, not really getting anything else.

Taste: Cherries up front, wheat, with mild maltiness lingering in the background, maybe some cloves.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and light bodied.

Drinkability: Overall, this beer was refreshing and interesting for me, because I haven't had much of this style. Good summer/spring session beer. I would drink this beer again, it reminds me of a Samuel Adam's Cherry Wheat. (567 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz bottle

A: Reddish copper under a small white head. Decent lace and retention.

S: Nothing spectacular. Little bit of cherry, bit of malt.

T: Again, nothing too great, but a little bigger cherry tartness, but a bit of vegetable too. Malt stands out a little more.

M/D: Nice mouthfeel, carbonation is just right. Smooth, light body. Decent drinkability. Nothing great, but it's easy to put down. (402 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a crimson color...well, maybe if you took crimson and threw a little brown into it. I'm not really too good with shades of certain colors. Couple fingers of tannish foam. Nice retention, plenty of lacing.

Smells like a lot of earthy wheat and malt with faint fruit hints. It's perfume-ish. It's a very interesting nose. There's something in there that's reminding me of toasted grains.

Love the tart cherries. It's not sweet like I imagined it would be. Tastes like dried sour cherries. Not super sour, nothing mouth-puckering, but there's a little tart bite. The earthiness is pretty faint. Whatever smell made me think of toasted grains doesn't make an appearance in the taste.

Pretty light body, but a very smooth drinker. No astringency detected. It really coats your teeth, kind of the same way I remember Russian River Consecration doing. Obviously, not the same class of beers, but it's the same kind of coating.

While it is a smooth drinker, I can't imagine drinking more than one. Not the type of flavor I'd like to session. That said, I think Smuttynose did a great job with this one. I figured this would taste like sweet cherries, like from a kid's juice box type drink, like a Capri Sun or something. Not the case. (1,285 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +28.7%

Appearance: Amber/reddish orange hue.

Smell: Powdered Sugar, Vanilla, Brown Sugar, overripe strawberry, floral.

Taste: Bitter speed bump in the taste that rolls out bittersweet tart fresh cherry pie flavor all over the palate.

Mouthfeel: Dry tartness on the finish

Drinkability: Very drinkable and refreshing. I'd totally session with this. (345 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Very nice spring ale. I detest cherry lambics and found this to be nothing like typical fruit beers.

Poured a rich brownish-ruby color with a medium head and a smoked cherry-esque smell with hints of dark malt.

Well-balanced, not fruity. Good presence of alcohol and medium hops.

Soft on the mouth, finishes smooth and light and crisp, but with strong flavors and taste.

The way a spring ale should taste. (410 characters)

Smuttynose Hanami Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company