Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog Ale (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog Ale (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog Ale (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Old Ale |  10.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Olive, iconic mascot & spirit guide of our brewery, first appeared on our Old Brown Dog label in 1994 & returned, thirteen years later, to pose for our Really Old Brown Dog, a luscious, malt-rich, full bodied “old ale” featuring deep notes of complex fruit. Much like our beloved Olive, this beer will mellow & age gracefully.

2007 - 7.0%
2008 - 9.3%
2010 - 10.9%

(Beer added by: cbl2 on 03-03-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog Ale (Big Beer Series) Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -61.5%

1.68/5  rDev -56.9%

2.3/5  rDev -41%

It seemed like a while since they had put this beer out, so I was pleased to see it around again. Apparently the recipe has changed this year. Red/light brown color, with a bit of tan lacing. Nose is really big on wood and alcohol, although a hint of fruit lies underneath it all. Caramel sweetness hits the palate first, followed by some bitter hop, then ends on a very boozy, almost acrid note. Mouthfeel is heavy and in your face. I had a tough time getting through this beer. From what I can remember, the 07 bottling was more preferable. Maybe this one needs some age, as the label suggests.

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

At first sip I thought this would be a nice brown ale , but, it has some strange taste that I cannot describe,it is a bitter taste that hangs with you after each mouthful. Kinda like biting into a rotten nut , yuck! I had high hopes upon first sip but actually dumped the rest of my pint and the remaining bottle contents down the drain. I have only dumped a few beers down the drain in my life and this is one of them.

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

2013 bomber poured roughly into a Chimay Chalice.

I was eagerly anticipating this beer as I love Smuttynose's offerings. Visually was as an old ale should be. Nose was malty and sweet, fairly pleasant. The taste is what got me. It lacked any heat for a 10%'er and it tasted like a really bad pumpkin spice or Christmas beer. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but I could barely choke down the glass and poured the rest. I'm a fan of the style and thoroughly enjoy Curmudgeon, Peculiar, and the like, but this was really disappointing. I probably
won't revisit unless someone opens a bottle from their stash.

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

A - Deep amber brew with a small head and isolated flecks of lacing.

S - Clean hop aroma with a faint backing of wood and forest floor.

T - A nutty malt with a bit of chicory and alcohol on the palette. The aftertaste is very nutty with clean woodsy hops finish.

M - Pretty smooth, thin, the finish is astringent with an overall mildly refreshing effect. Alcohol is strong enough to make a bit of a burn.

D - Better than old brown dog, but not by much. I don't think I will have again. Pretty easy to drink though.

2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

This review pains me a little; the Smutty Big Beer series is one of my all time favorites. This one is very, very disappointing, Olive deserves better. Maintains a decent appearance, nicely balanced head, apparently bottle-conditioned, no residue anywhere.

Unbalanced malts dominate, with a slight hop-bitter finish. Not sure where the brewer was trying to go with this one; being that it is bottle condition, and relatively high ABV, I am interested to see how it ages.

Random, somewhat copper color. White, lacey head on top. Malty, somewhat sharp and lactic aroma. Decent enough malty flavor. Slightly robust with a faint alcohol twinge. Tastes like an amped up version of their regular brown though out of balance. Ok mouthfeel. Rather ho hum overall for me. I was expecting more to tell you the truth. All their big beer series beers I have had have been great-this one lacks a lot.

Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog Ale (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company