Smuttynose Baltic Porter - Smuttynose Brewing Company

2007 - 8.1%
2009 - 8.7
2010 - 9.02%
2013 - 9.8%
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,097 | Reviews: 506
4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Interesting and good beer. Here goes:

A: Small, dark head but very good lacing. Beer pours pitch-blank. Very good.

S: Dark chocolate, coffee, burnt malt. This is my favorite type of porter/stout; I prefer the chocolatey ones over the dark fruit ones.

T: Well, the chocolate and burnt malts are still apparent, but they are complimented by a lot of dark fruit. Initial taste of plum, raisins, fig and licorice followed by a hint of burnt malt and chocolate. The beer's smell is somewhat deceptive; I was expecting a more chocolatey character.

F: Good, but not as full-bodied as I was expecting.

O: Great beer, but a little deceptive.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look. Ebony look with a medium brown medium sized head.
Smell yeasty, earthy, slightly toasty, slightly hoppy.
Taste. Fairly evenly balanced in that it feels malty but the hops have slightly the upper hand.
Mouth feel. Medium heavy body, lots, of content in here, slightly chewy, a bit puckery at the back.
Overall another dark beer tending toward the even to slightly hoppy side. Good, but I prefer to lean the other way.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY.

Pours a dark deep and nice black color, with a half inch head, and a good amount of foamy lacing.

Smells really nice, good roasty malt and chocolate, with a hint of smoke, and a good dark berry aroma. Smells like it's gonna taste great.

And it does taste great. I love the dark fruit and berry character here- I get some raisin and plum, but also get a slight hint of cherry and even blackberry, along with some bitterness imparted by roast, some dark chocolate, and the slightest amount of roasted coffee. There's a hint of smoke on the finish, too. Really complex, and just all around enjoyable to drink.

This is fairly thick bodied, with a creamy mouthfeel. The alcohol shows itself just ever so slightly- there's some really minor heat on the back end, but nothing off-putting, it's actually nice, adding a warmth to the end of the brew. There's a fairly low level of carbonation.

This might be the best baltic porter I've ever had, at least the best non-barrel aged one I've had. Just a really, really well crafted beer. This is what I've come to expect from Smuttynose.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Smuttynose's Baltic Porter a few weeks ago for $2.79 at Holiday Market. I think it's been a little while since I've had a Baltic Porter and since I'm working my way from the Smuttynose lineup I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottled January 2015. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had almost a fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking Baltic Porter, but I wish it had a little more head.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice roasted, sweet malts, dark chocolate and milk chocolate aroma with just a slight coffee aroma coming through. Up next comes a nice fruity aroma with some nice dark fruit aromas showing and it seems like it's the dark cherries that seem to stick out the most and it's followed by a very light alcohol aroma. This beer has a good aroma and it's just what I would expect from a good Baltic Porter.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first the show to up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time no single aspects seem to stick out the most. Up next comes a very light alcohol flavor and it's followed by the same dark fruits that I got in the aroma, but this time they are just a little lighter. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a nice chocolate and dark fruit aftertaste. This is a good tasting Baltic Porter, it's just what I expect from the style.

M- Smooth, crisp, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer has a good mouthfeel that works well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had petty much all the aspects that I look for in a good Baltic Porter and it didn't have any off flavors and anything that didn't fit into the style and it made for a tasty Baltic Porter. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, slightly sticky, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one would be the perfect amount for me, but I wouldn't rule out drinking two, but that would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was that it was a very true example of the style. What I like the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad at all, but I thought it could have a little more head. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a Baltic Porter and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the style or dark beers in general. All in all I was happy with this beer, it had all the things that I look for in the style and in the end it was just a tasty Baltic Porter. It's one of the better Smuttynose beers I've had and it's one of the better Baltic Porters I've had. Good job guys this was a good Baltic Porter, keep up the hard work.

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Smuttynose Baltic Porter from Smuttynose Brewing Company