2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smuttynose Big A IPA - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Big A IPASmuttynose Big A IPA

good

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Ever since Stash Wojciechowski, the “Killer Kielbasa,” created this Imperial IPA for our Big Beer Series, Big A IPA has gotten a lot of attention. Lauded by the New York Times and Men's Journal Magazine, it’s been one of the most talked-about beers around. Brewed in very small quantities, it has also been one of the hardest-to-find. Until now.

Big A IPA has everything you’d want in an India Pale Ale, only more: more hops, more malt & more flavor. Na zdrowie!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2002)
View: Beers (51) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smuttynose Big A IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,420 | Reviews: 871 | Show All Ratings:
bigkamp

Rhode Island

1.43/5  rDev -64.1%

I love smuttynose "finest find" ipa. It is one of my favorite (and affordable) local IPA's. I am a huge fan of smuttynose so I was looking forward to trying what I figured would be a similar recipe to their original ipa; maybe just with added hops and malt... boy was I wrong.

Best enjoyed date: May 11'

This beer poured a murky brown with sediment present in the glass. a small head faded quickly with some lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell was nothing like I expected. Earthy, grass, doughy, malt presence.

Taste is syrupy thick with way too much malt presence for an ipa.

I could only get through a couple of sips. I will try another bottle to make sure this one wasn't bad, but I am pretty sure that this was one of the rare "misses" from smuttynose as they usually put together an amazing product.

03-11-2011 00:13:32 | More by bigkamp
techcommdood

1.95/5  rDev -51%

Appearance: Hazy light tan color, weak head but solid lacing.

Smell: Spicy hops and lots of sugar on the nose.

Taste: Very sweet (like artificial sweetener), strong hop spicy bite, some booziness. Not a lot of character, just big malt and big bitter payload.

Mouthfeel: Heavy at first, finishes dry. Strong spicy burn from hops.

Drinkability: Poor. For me, it's not balanced well. Very strong sweetness and hop characters clash more than play off each other. Hop burn all down my throat. And it all builds repeatedly with every sip. Unenjoyable.

Overall: A disappointment, to be sure. I was expecting much better out of this one. I think more than anything else it was the sweetness that killed this beer for me. I can tolerate strong hops (hell, I recently brewed a 100+ IBU cascadian dark ale). I won't be getting this one again.

09-09-2010 17:30:57 | More by techcommdood
Longstaff

2.28/5  rDev -42.7%

Reviewing the 12 oz bottle version.

First try at this format and it wasn't good. Phenolic character lurking behind the hops quickly distracted you from what would otherwise be a fine beer. After researching and finding nothing about this issue, I had to give a bottle to a fellow hophead to make sure I wasn't crazy. He came to same conclusion wihtout me front loading him with my opinion and now there's two bottles sitting on top on my fridge waiting to be transferred to the garbage.

So dissapointing as fresh hoppy beer is so desperately needed in the area and this could have been a go-to beer for me. And the bombers were always so good.

06-15-2010 17:41:40 | More by Longstaff
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -38.4%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured out an orangish-amber color with some sediment chunks and a minutes' worth of head that leaves behind medium levels of lacing on the glass.

Smells of the typical grapefruit and pine resin but with a large boozey alcoholic hotness. Tastes similar, with hot boozey pine resin and unfortunately, not enough malt characteristic to stand up to the bittering and alcoholic hotness. It might just be me, but this one seems WAY out of balance for an IPA. I'd expect this sort of booziness from an unbalanced barleywine or malt liquor, not an IPA.

Oh well, they can't ALL be winners.

09-06-2012 21:19:50 | More by WastingFreetime
Callenak

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a nice pale/golden color. I'm so used to east coast DIPA's not being pale that this was a relief. Small white head that lingered for a short while.

Smell was more earthy and piney than citrusy. Be curious if they used some sort of noble hops in it.

Taste was a little disappointing but matched the smell. I've had many great DIPA's and know this style well, this beer just isn't doing it. A earthy bitterness without much citrus/fruit in the finish. Malt is dry and stale.

Sorry just not digging this beer. I had my hopes up on the pour but that was the best part.

11-15-2006 17:51:15 | More by Callenak
bobhits

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Normally I try to write complex review but this beer isn't worthy. This bottle is near but not at the best buy level so if I find it fresher I'll adjust.

A good looking double IPA with WAY too much malt and sugar aroma. It smells bad.

The taste is WAY too much sugar bread and flavors I can only express as old hoppy beer but again this isn't old. bit sugar malt, HUGE even. There is a hop bite too, but it isn't good the breat and caramel are just blah.

Too think too sugary and doesn't work.

This is just not a good beer, let alone a good IPA. I can't imagine this being good.

04-09-2013 03:13:11 | More by bobhits
claspada

2.55/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a light golden color with a large fluffy white head that is really lingers. As the head fades it leaves a decent amount of lacing.

Very potent aroma of grapefruit and pineapple with some malty sweetness notes as well.

Obviously there is a lot of hoppy bitterness going on here, but there is not enough maltiness to balance it out in my opinion. Taste is piney with slight notes of honey sweetness. Long, lingering bitter aftertaste. Improves as it warms; expresses some floral hop characteristics to help balance out the resiny American hops.

It has a lot of carbonation, too much for the style in my opnion.

This beer doesn't have the depth that I was hoping for and with this much alcohol it's not that drinkable. Don't plan to revisit.

08-24-2010 15:50:22 | More by claspada
hardy008

2.55/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Very hazy amber orange with a one finger off white head with fairly decent retention. There is quite a bit of sediment floating in the glass, which is not visually appealing. The aroma has grapefruit, pith, pine, and some caramel malt. Smells overly bitter.

The taste is much like the aroma. grapefruit, pith, peelings, pine, and some caramel malt. This is more bitter than most DIPA's I have had.

Medium to full bodied, oily, slick, with fairly high carbonation. Not one of the better DIPAs I have had.

08-30-2010 01:56:31 | More by hardy008
Stingray5

2.68/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber featuring Stash Wojciechowski, the "Killer Kielbasa". Who? Pours a hazy golden amber with almost no head. Aromas are fruity, nutty and slighty toasted, more like an English IPA. Thick mouthful is followed by nutty fruity malt and bitter hops. There is a good dose of alcohol in the finish.

I'm trying to avoid saying this, but I found this beer to have a slight aroma and taste of vomit. Needless to say, that's a bad thing.

07-03-2003 20:57:39 | More by Stingray5
Chaney

District of Columbia

2.68/5  rDev -32.7%

A: Poured a very cloudy tangerine orange, with a huge fluffy white head that looked like looming Alka-Seltzer as it died down.

S: Fresh citrus fruit, with a muted clean cotton scent. There was also quite a bit of candy sugar in there as well.

T: A bit disappointing on the taste... a bit like soap actually. Despite the sugary smell, the taste was almost devoid of sucrose. The fruit totally got buried by an EXTREMELY funky, bitter, and unpleasant boozy cleaning agent.

M: Booze and then some. The carbonation was prickly enough, but the particular brand of bitterness couldn't be helped by it much. The lacing was moderate.

D: I don't think I would drink this again. heck, I had trouble enough making it through 12 ounces of it! I'll stick with "Finest Kind."

03-12-2011 02:20:10 | More by Chaney
BeerImmediately

2.78/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bomber, bottle conditioned from "2007"

Poured a light caramel color with 2 finger head. Decent lacing througout.

Smell was good but not great - heavy alcohol, some hop bitterness, possibly some orange peel.

Taste did not seem true to an IPA - barley, grilled brussel sprouts, with the only sweetness being what I will compare to a turnip. Deep alcohol present as well, which was fine for the style.

Mouthfeel was very heavy and cloying. No crispness, or sharp mouthfeel which I would have expected.

Not drinkable beyond a few sips in my mind. Based on the other glowing reviews, I think I must have gotten a bad/old batch that didn't "condition" well in the bottle. Too bad, b/c I like the other Smuttynose's I've tried.

05-29-2008 11:06:04 | More by BeerImmediately
deejaydan

2.83/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a clear orange-yellow hue, sticky lacing, moderate head retention.

Aroma-- Actually, kinda faint. Slight grassy chinook type aroma is hanging out.

Taste--- Just rip roaring hops and bitterness. Not the usual bitterness that I can enjoy in an IPA, but a raw, rough bitterness like that of the pith of a lemon or orange. Give me some maltiness to balance this.

Mouthfeel--- ?? I can't feel my mouth! I CAN'T FEEL MY MOUTH!

Drinkablity-- Well, I've had better IIPAs.

10-04-2005 21:56:41 | More by deejaydan
bpfishback

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -28.9%

When I first had this beer, I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if the recipe or my palate has changed but now I do not like this beer at all. It has a nice pale orange color and good thick head but a lot of yeast debris. The hop aroma is very lacking in comparison to the top dipa's.The taste is some sweetness followed by very sharp bitterness. I feel like the bitterness comes from the floaties but even when being very careful not to get any yeast in the glass it still has an unpleasantly sharp bitterness.

02-18-2011 20:31:17 | More by bpfishback
PeatReek

2.85/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours hazy and yellow/amber, like a nice weissbeer. Rocky white head. Hop smell is strong but light, floral and lemony with a slight savory undercurrent. Bitter, scratchy hop flavor right from the outset; the delicate aspects from the aroma don't cut through this so well. Rather dry, but almost invisible, malt presence. Finishes dirty with a mildly unpleasant ester fruitiness. Hmm. No thanks.

10-03-2006 00:56:29 | More by PeatReek
Cresant

Kentucky

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Slightlty cloudy orange/gold body had a chill haze. Minimal head even with an aggressive pour. Bottle was about 48F.

Smell was very difficult to discern. Not much smell at all until the beer warmed significantly. When the aromas started to unfold they were everchanging beginning with mild citrus hops. Rye bread. Spice and powdered donuts. Mild alcohol presence.

Taste was pine tree bark. Coniferous sweetness with a stripping hops bitterness. Citrus and alcohol. Marmalade. Not citrus pith but citrus sweetness. Not as flavorful as Finest Kind and somewhat lacking in the overall presentation.

Mouthfeel was medium/full bodied with mild carbonation. Alcohol hits the brain. Not one I will seek out again.

11-23-2006 15:52:33 | More by Cresant
callmemickey

2.9/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Amber-caramel body. Moderate off-white head. Decent retention and subtle lacing.

S: Orange bitterness. Lots of booze. Tons of caramel malt shining through.

T: Ugh. Not so good. Bitter, orange cough syrup. Lots of alcohol.

M: Thick and somewhat cloying. Significant alcohol burn. A bit of a muddled mess.

D: A very raw beer... reminds me of 120 minute in the do everything extreme, but not well, mindset. Would not revisit.

03-18-2010 03:47:22 | More by callmemickey
justintcoons

2.9/5  rDev -27.1%

A: Pours a hazy orange/amber with debris floating around. Looks like this is probably unfiltered. I got about half a finger of bubbly head that dissipated quickly and low carbonation.

N: Valencia orange, clementine, caramel and maybe some honey.

T: Burst of bitter and pungent citrus and pine upfront, some sugary caramel and finishes with a bitter burnt citrus taste.

M: Medium bodied, dry and bitter.

D: Okay drinkability as long as you like extreme bitterness with very light malt to back it up. I guess I prefer a more balanced DIPA.

03-24-2011 22:28:51 | More by justintcoons
Sixpoint

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass. Bottle-conditioned in 2005.

My sample poured with no head at all. Seemed a little flat. Intentional?

The aroma was nice. You could definitely pick up the alcohol in the nose, even though it was hiding in the reeds behind a massive quantity of hops.

The taste was eh, not good. Massive alcohol burn with no malt foundation to balance. Lingering bitterness and acid wash from the alcohol. Yeah, it's a big ass IPA, but not pleasant...

My beer was medium bodied and not too drinkable. Having an entire 22 oz. bomber of this stuff was a struggle.

Smutty makes such a fine IPA and a pretty good brown ale too. They should go back to the basics IMHO.

08-08-2005 02:05:12 | More by Sixpoint
MbpBugeye

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle conditioned in: August '10 notched off on the side of the label.

A- My pour wasnt so gentle so I got a 2 finger high stark white head with lots and lots of creeping lace. I really like it. The beer is a pretty standard hazy golden orange.

S- Pretty piney and malty. The malts are very pale and crackery smelling. The hops seem one dimensional. Mostly all pine.

T- A pretty decent battle between crackery and bready malts and pine. In the finish the pine wins out and makes things get a little bitter. There is also a flash of grapefruit as it goes down.

M- Dry with a low carbonation.

Ill stick to Finest Kind. This is one of the very few beers from Smuttynose I dont think Ill purchase again.

09-28-2010 03:40:28 | More by MbpBugeye
TuckerCarlson

This may be a somewhat inconsistent beer, or maybe it's a year-to-year variation, or maybe it's a bottle v. tap issue. I had this on tap at Korova in Ithaca, NY, and was sorely disappointed on a couple of fronts, though I can't deny the things this beer does right.

Pours orange and slightly hazy with decent head that didn't las as long as I expected it to. Some lacing, but nothing major.

Nice big nose-full of citrusy hops. Opens more and more as it comes up to temperature.

Tase is disappointing - the darn thing is too darn sweet. There's a great citrusy opening and a lot of oily, piney tastes at the back end, but in between the two there's so much sweetness that it comes across as out of balance (think a cabernet sauvignon with 4% residual sugar). The sweetness somehow lets the alcohol show through in a slightly displeasing manner.

Mouthfeel is incredible if you can divorce it from the flavor: nice and thick, very satisfying when it comes up to temperature.

Could have been an excellent DIPA that comes up a bit short due to an excess of sugar.

Oddly enough, my first experience with this beer (also vintage 2007) was straight out of a 22-oz. bomber while camping with some friends and coworkers. I lost a lot of visual and olfactory cues, but the taste seemed way more in tune with what I expected.

06-25-2007 03:57:03 | More by TuckerCarlson
wwheeler

Appearance - Lovely hazy orange color, slight head.

Smell - muted hops, grainy, slight flower scent

Taste - at first there's a big hop bite, but then the alcohol warmth and thick aftertaste overwhelmed the palate

Mouthfeel - nothing remarkable, but after the hops quickly wore off, the alcohol/syrup taste lingered slightly

Drinkability - At first I was a little worried, since the alcohol gave a strong aftertaste, but that seemed to mellow out while a thick aftertaste lingered

Overall, I kept on thinking that I would rate the Big A quite a few steps behind DFH 90 and Great Divide Hercules dIPA. What I admire about great dIPA is that the floral hop characters completely mask the fact that it's an 8-9% abv. The syrup/alcohol aftertaste really took away from the hop character of the beer.

06-04-2008 00:55:01 | More by wwheeler
schleprock

A - Cloudy, unfiltered orange color with a decent head but leaves just a bit of lacing on the glass.

S - Citrus hops, pine notes, malty.

T - Way too bitter for my tastes. Very bitter on the way down.

M - Carbination is okay but a bit of a slick mouthfeel

D - Sorry but I'm not into overpowering beers so to me even trying to finish one is not a pleasurable experience.

I did not know that this was an Imperial IPA or I'd have passed. The print was written sideways on the packaging making it impossible to kknow what you're buying without having the beers fall out of the holder. Poor design on the packaging led me to buy a beer I would never have purchased. Even the bottle gives no indication of the fact that it's an Imperial IPA. All it says is Big A IPA.

03-02-2011 16:51:29 | More by schleprock
DeanMoriarty

3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

Picked up a 22oz bomber in a trade with Dawson's Liquor in Severna Park, MD and poured it into a Old Speckled Hen pint glass - thanks fellas!

A: Pours a hazy golden/light honey hue with a decent white head that dissipates within a few sips, leaving small amounts of lacing.

S: Tons of malt and booze with only a hint of muddled hop.

T: Unfortunately the taste is in unison with the nose - what a malt bomb! Where's the hops???

M/D: Blah and no - couldn't finish this mess of a DIPA.

05-24-2011 03:53:35 | More by DeanMoriarty
bultrey

3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

Shimmering orange-gold with carbonation struggling to make its way through the thick liquid, but finally winning out with a strong head. Smells very orangey, with a kicker of pine -- what you would expect from a solid DIPA.
Taste is extremely bitter up front, like chewing on orange rind, with a good dose of maltiness that is quickly overpowered by crushed pine needles, grapefruit and bitter orange. I thought the alcohol was not well-hidden, and in fact, would go so far as to say this is one "hot" beer. Nice smooth mouthfeel but solvent finish allowed me to only make my way through about three quarters of this.

I don't know if I'm just getting sick of unbalanced hop monsters, or if this thing needs to lay down for a while, but this beer disappointed me.

02-14-2006 19:55:47 | More by bultrey
henryd30

Iowa

3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Orangish amber that is slightly hazy due to suspended particlate. Thick 3 thumb head that has marshmellowy lacing.

S: Not overwhelming - was expecting more.

T: Slightly bitter and a little boozy, again, a little disappointed. Just checked bottling date and it's Oct 2010, getting a little old, which might explain it.

M: Typical consistency for IPA - active carbonation picks at the tongue, can feel the boozy heat a bit.

D: Not as good as I'd hope, but could be self inflicted with it being a bit older than I expected. Will learn to check easily identifiable smutty date next time. Will try a fresher one in the future as well.

03-24-2011 22:01:59 | More by henryd30