Smuttynose Big A IPA - Smuttynose Brewing Company

good

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2002

Ever since Stash Wojciechowski, the “Killer Kielbasa,” created this Imperial IPA for our Big Beer Series, Big A IPA has gotten a lot of attention. Lauded by the New York Times and Men's Journal Magazine, it’s been one of the most talked-about beers around. Brewed in very small quantities, it has also been one of the hardest-to-find. Until now.

Big A IPA has everything you’d want in an India Pale Ale, only more: more hops, more malt & more flavor. Na zdrowie!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,629 | Reviews: 889
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours from the twelve ounce into tulip a nice amber slash orangish hue. Huge, billowy, slightly off white head that leaves excellent lacing around the entire glass. Slowly clears up, but never completely. Brew is super cloudy, major floaties floating around, so much so that you cannot see anything through this ale. For me, this only enhances the appearance, looks absolutely delicious.

Smells of huge floral, pine and citrus fruit notes. So much so that any malt whiffs are completely obliterated, though they may be there. They just are not detected by my olfactory senses.

Taste on this brew is another huge blast of pine and citrus, drying on the tongue. Not unpleasant in the least, if you crave the awesome bitterness that the hops deliver.

This brew feels very slick, oily and slides down the gullet with tremendous ease. Possibly too easily. I would love to rate the drinkability on this ale higher, but with this alcohol content, it may not be possible. This category may be about average, unless you are a heavy weight and can handle "Big Ass" brews, such as this one. Seek this one out, it is surely worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a hazy, golden orange with a generous foamy, white head that takes its time dissolving to leave a dense white lacing.

Aroma consists primarily of hops, grassy, pine, and straw with just a faint scent of sweet grapefruit.

The palate is quite diverse with abundant floral and pine hops, but also a generous citrus presence, as well as sugar sweetness to offset all of this mid-palate. The piney aspects of this beer can be a touch overwhelming at times.

Medium, and almost creamy in body with generous carbonation and a bit of a bite between the alcohol and hop presence.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer with a lot of aggressive characteristics that can at time push the envelope of palate abuse, but ends up being quite satisfying.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A- that is one solid looking IPA. Golden yellow with the famous "smutty floaties." Of course they had to have it in one of their DIPAs. The head is that rocky foam presentation. It does disappear

S- the grapefruit slap in the face is a litte bit similar to an IPA than a DIPA. There is some warming piney scents as well

T- very similar to finest kind... however, the alcohol is present and overtakes some of the citrus flavors. There are still the piney an herbal flavors that make up the body of the brew. I do feel that this is Smutty presentation of a DIPA... however it does not follow the trends imho

M- creamy and medium bodied. The flavor swirls around the mouth and really leaves that citric taste of the mouth

D- I really am a fan of smutty... I think the brew may have lacked the malt profile that is still present in a DIPA... however, I am a fan of smutty. Big A is still a drinkable hop hit that gives you some great citrus flavor. Be careful of the alcohol of this tropical temptation. It is already knocking me out

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle
Delerium snifter

This is really one of my favorite east coast DIPAs right now. I think some of us in the Northeast take Smuttynose for granted sometimes.

A: Golden straw, somewhat lighter in color than many DIPAs.

S: Booze soaked sugar coated grapefruit. Tinge of fusel alcohol engulfed in super bright floral notes, and fruity esters.

T: Resiny, chewy hops, mostly citric but bitter. Sugary sweet malt character, prior to a lingering residual bitterness. The alcohol makes itself known only slightly.

M: Chewy and sticky. Quite raw in all aspects - im really liking that though.

D: I could have a couple of these, sure.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Vermonthiker for this one. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a golden straw color with over an inch of bright white head that had great retention and very good lacing.

A nice piney hop aroma greets the nose, with some citrus hop behind it, and not much malt scent. On the tongue, a little more malt shows up to support the hops. And the hops are there in solid formation, pine and citrus mostly, with a dry bitter finish.

The body is fairly typical for the style, not as full as some, but more substantial than others. Drinkability was pretty good, I wouldn't mind having a sixer of these in the fridge.

Overall, a solid and above average example of the style. Certainly worth your time.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appears a bright copper semi hazed appearance with a bright off white head, forsm thick and clouded rises well above the glasses' rim. The big DIPA in a 22 ounce bottle that I've been looking for since it's incarnation, I now that 12 ounce bottles are now on the way, so this may be a historic bottles to start of my beer cravings with. '

Aroma has a big juicy slight alcohol heavy malt handed hop profile.. Citrus, candy coated earthy hops, with a touch of mango and grapefruit hops going on. This is my first experience with this particular DIPA so far I'm down with two thumbs up as the while review.

Flavor has a bit of fusel alcohol that's hard to finish, it's loaded with citrus hops backed with pale malts and alcohol notes. Their are a women getting ready for a group of wedding goers tomorrow, I tell them the take it easy and enjoy a beer like this. A bit much on the sugar content of this big DIPA that it I could share it next time and not mind the wait.

Mouthfeel a bit cloying with residual sugar, big hop oils but they definitely didn't ferment this one out all of the way it's a bit harsh with sticky sugars in one sitting go get back up, the higher alcohol content wasn't slow sipping either.

Drinkability overall was great stuff...the ole saying that less is more goes right along with this brew next time a small portion will do great justice for a hop dessert but my name is Big Tony aka Anthony trying the 40S boxer adorned label has seemed appropriate for so long.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

okay i am a smuttynose fan. living in CT we aren't privy to some really great stuff that is available out west or in the middle of the country. Wish we could get bells, founders, and of course some pliny.. but we can't.. so smuttynose (and DFH) are probably the best it gets out here.... okay let me review..

A - This pours a very nice orange DIPA color with a very nice head and superb lacing.

S - not as over the top smelling as a hopslam or a pliny but a nice citrusy hoppy smell that i do enjoy. pour this into a tulip glass so you can really get your nose in this.

T - Just a very nice kick ass IPA hop bomb. This is the hop bomb on the east coast and in my experience, it matches up pretty good with some big boys like a hopslam or a pliny.. Very nice citrusy, grapefruit taste but you have to drink this fresh to fully appreciate it (like so many IPAs)... A great IPA, citrusy, grapefruit, pine taste!

M - very fruity and light I think. not heavy or oily.

D - I have to rate this up there because it is a DIPA that I could treat like a session (okay maybe only 2). this goes down easily and makes me scream for another. one is just not good enough.

I'm very thankful this is available here in CT as I've said before we really can't get much. I also enjoy a Hercules DIPA from great divide however we can only get expensive bombers of that. This is available in 4 packs which works great for me. Thank you again smuttynose for brewing another great beer! I have to say this is the official hop bomb of the east coast!!

***edit on 4/18/2010

i just can't seem to get my fill on this stuff. I try others around here and nothing seems to outrank this for me.. i had a stone ruination last night and that doesn't compare to this. i know my avatar is smuttynose and i look biased but i'm serious. i absolutely love this big a and just can't get enough of this stuff!!

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Light golden with a huge, frothy white head. Head retains quite nicely with a fair amount of lacing.

S- Pineapple and bubblegum.

T-Starts off a bit watery, then pretty substantial hop bitterness and then BOOZE-y. It's not the booziest beer I have ever had, but definitely the most substantial in a DIPA, almost vodka-esque. Doesn't completely ruin it, but definitely detracts from the flavor.

MF-Good, a little watery, but then stickier/chewier in the finish. Decent amount of carbonation.

D-All in all, not a bad beer, but the booze in the finish is unlike any DIPA I have seen thus far, not well-masked at all. That is the only major factor in lowering the score.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden straw color. Two finger off white head stays around for a little while. Dies down to just whisps of foam on top of the beer. Ringing lacing as I drink it down.

S- This has a huge burst of citrus hops (pineapple) in the front end of this beer. Some light piney bitter hops in the back end of the aroma. The backbone of the malts is caramel and light in the nose when compared to the hop bomb aroma.

T- This is a mighty good tasting beer...seems like a havent had a hop bomb in a while. Big huge burst of those pineapple citrus hops kick in the teeth as they pass by. Very light malt backing throughout this beer but gets destroyed by the hops kicking its ass. Light bitterness going into the back of this....alcohol is there as well warming me up as I drink down the glass.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. I personally thought this beer was a little chewy. Hops destroyed the palate and everything tastes like hops the rest of the night. Aftertaste was more hops with light alcohol. Left hop resin all over the mouth including the teeth and palate. Crisp flavors overall.

D- This was a very good drinking DIPA. I haven't had a great hop bomb in such a long time. This beer drinks amazing fresh and I would have loved to drink it from the tap. I would suggest this beer to someone who wants to have a nice hop bomb that is not from the west coast. Good job on holding your own with this one east coast!

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

12 oz "Bottle conditioned dated" bottle poured into a Duvel snifter.
Appearance and smell: cloudy, lemony, orange appearance matches it's nose The citrus hits you for sure with some floral and other fruity notes (orange, pineapple?). Healthy carbonation. The two inch head thins but leaves a healthy lace throughout.
Taste: Peaty background, pine and grapefruit with the kind of bitterness I love and is perfect for a warm day like today.
Nice creamy mouthfeel...
The malt underneath supported the piney, citrusy hop bitterness that prevails. The almost 10% ABV may move it beyond a session beer for me, but not any other part of this excellent Double. This is a wonderful beer.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Received this brew from Cedromar as an extra in quite a generous trade. These Smuttynose brews are so hit and miss that I really hope this one is a hit. Drank from my Port Brewing pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear yellow with hints of orange and a really nice off-white head that is all sorts of creamy. A beautiful head is maintained the entire beer along with plenty of thick sticky lacing.
Smell- Lightly fruity with hints of citrus and caramel. Nothing over the top or really crazy fresh smelling but there is light pineapple and peach tones. Since I'm spoiled with the most fantastic nose of Hopslam (been drinking a ton lately), this just seems sort of blah. I hate that overbearing tinge of crystal malt that peaks through.
Taste- Starts slightly fruity with a bit of orange peel and grapefruit. It's not overly citrusy but just a sort of semi bitter fruitiness. Sort of a dank earthy hop profile in there as well as there is a bit of a pine like aspect hiding within the beer. The malt is somewhat noticeable as hints of caramel and toffee peer through. A bit of residual sweetness hangs in and mixes with the hoppiness for this sort of candy like finish. The alcohol is covered fairly well.
Mouthfeel- Nice body with a big slick oilyness that just screams hoppy. The carbonation is medium to spritzy.
Drinkability- A bit off target for my tastes. It needs a bit more something on some side of the aisle. My opinion - hops. It's good and has a decent hop profile but it needs kicked up slightly. Man I've gotten picky with my IPA's lately! Thanks much!

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance/Smell: Pours a mid rusty wheat color with a tight head that left exceptional lacing as it receded down the glass. Held to the light I can a good amount of floaties - is this typical or an ominous sign? Either way, I'm interested. Although it's not a particularly strong smelling beer, I'm still enticed by the generic citrusy smell of plentiful hopping.

Taste: It has a medium to heavy body that's very well balanced and is a clean drink throughout. The grapefruit dominated spice of the hops is checked by the malt profile and on the backside is only a pleasant hint of alcoholic warmth.

Drinkability: I find this incredibly drinkable. It's doesn't have a particularly heavy mouthfeel and it's finish is enjoyable; it doesn't leave you feeling like you're still sucking on a pinecone.

Overall: If I had ample money and alcohol tolerance, I would drink a lot more. Definitely recommended.

3.26/5  rDev -17.7%

Decided to split a 4pk of this with my homie Jeff. Had this bottle on 3.25, from notes.

Poured a peachy-orange color, decent head and lace in my tulip. Easily revived, but faded somewhat fast.

Aromas of earthy hops, substantial booze, piney hops. Solid malt background but this is just kind of rough. It's a little messy. The taste is rough around the edges as well... firm bitterness, nice pine character and substantial malt profile leading into a long bitter finish. Medium bodied, a little brash and rough overall though. Just not enough strength or pungency of the hop profile in order to balance the strength and intensity of the malts and ABV... there are a lot of DIPAs I would rather have.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Nice golden color with decent white head. real nice lacing but a bunch of nasty looking chunks in there. doesnt really bother me but they are there

S:overwhelming smell when I opened the bottle. I could smell it from 2 feet away. real nice fruity pineapple touch of pine citrus.

T: Hops definitely overwhelm the malt background but not in a bad way. Theres a good bit of hot alcohol. Pineapple in the taste with not as much pine as in the smell

M:Big sharp punch from the carbonation. slick mouth feel

D: My first bottle is going down pretty fast but i would doubt I could do another with the same speed. The bitterness would get too much for me. The hotness doesnt slow my drinking of it but its there. I'd consider this a hopbomb if youre looking for one

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Pours a golden amber color with a rather large off-white head with great retention that sticks all over the glass. Very pretty beer.

S- The aroma has a nice strong malty backbone, a touch of caramel and a ton of fresh citrus hops. I love the aroma, it is definitely making my mouth water.

T- The taste like the aroma has a solid malt backbone but the malt definitely takes a backseat to the hops. The citrus hops create an explosion of bitterness that linger well into the finish. There is also some booze in the finish as well creating some warmth. Very flavorful, I like it!

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, Big A IPA is another fantastic beer from Smuttynose. I would definitely recommend it to be on any hopheads list to try at least once.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a huge 3 finger head. Burnt orange color with some small floaters throughout that make it very hard for light to go through.

S: Sweet citrus hops. Orange and tangerine backed with a nice malty sweetness.

T: The citrus follows through in the taste. Nice bitter orange hop flavor upfront with a small malt backbone. Alcohol is also present in the finish.

M: Sticky, resinous hops that linger for awhile. Moderate carbonation.

D: Smuttynose continues to impress me. Have had this one along with the Findest Kind IPA. Both a very drinkable but this one loses a bit with the ABV and alcohol presence in taste.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Fresh 2011 batch update.

12oz bottled January 17th? 2010, less than a month old.

Appearance remains the same.

On the aroma, I'm picking up some pungent characteristics of cat spray and weed, a lot of citrus, some pine, excellent strength.

Flavor is bitingly bitter with tons of juicy citrus, resinous hops, some pine, caramel malt is there to offer some balance but never interferes with the star of the show. Long lingering bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is great, medium to full but never heavy, medium carbonation.

One of the better DIPAs on the market when fresh. Smuttynose can do no wrong, IMHO!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Original Review 03/28/2010

12oz bottled early March 2010.

Pours orange/yellow, very hazy, lots of yeast in suspension. Produces a large three finger off white fluffy head that retains very well and leaves some clumpy rings of lacing.

Aroma is predominantly pine, very strong pine aroma with some underlying citrus and floral notes. The citrus becomes more apparent as it warms including orange/tangerine and grapefruit.

Flavor is very hoppy up front, pine, citrus, resinous hops, some malt sweetness in the middle and finishes with excellent lingering bitterness that doesn't let you forget you are drinking one big ass IPA.

Mouthfeel is quite full, can get sticky, medium carbonation.

Very good DIPA.
Aroma 4, Appearance 4, Taste 4, Palate 3.5, Drinkability 4, Score 3.95

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

A 12 oz gift from my buddy, AltBock (soon to be in Okinawa for 2 years-Send him beer as he serves his country.)

Pours a hazy, golden/orange with a large, dense, fluffy white head that has decent retention and good lacing. There are lots of light floaties after the pour that mostly settle.
The smell is a good dose of pine and grapefruit followed by a bit of sweet malt.
The taste falters a bit from the smell being a little less intense and starts, mostly, with a bitterness that lingers through the grapefruit and pine hop taste. The alcohol is there, not at all hidden, though not an issue. There is more malt balance than a west coast DIPA.
Mouthfeel is medium, well-carbonated and finishes slightly dry.
Drinkability: If you like this a lot it drinks well. I like it, especially in a 12 ouncer, but I would like to see more hops in the taste. Easily worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

An extra here from Reagan1984. I'm somewhat puzzled, as the label states it was bottle-conditioned in July 2010?! Beer from the future! Guess it should be fresh. Served in my Half Acre pint glass.

A - Pours with a voluminous soapy foam that eventually settles to a thick cap and leaves tons of splotchy lacing. Hazy golden body with a few bubbles slowly moving upwards.

S - Nice pine and citrus rind hoppiness along with some tropical fruit punch. This is surprisingly hop-forward for an East Coast DIPA. Didn't realize this was 9.6% - actually thought it was a single IPA. Malt backbone is pale and sugary.

T - The alcohol peaks through a little bit more in the taste, but it's not harsh or solvent in character. Lots of grapefruit, very bitter - could use a bit more sweetness for balance. I wish it had more of the tropical flavors from the nose. Wish I could give this a 3.75, but unfortunately that isn't an option here.

M - Nice enamel-melting feel, with lots of residual oily resins. Medium, soft body with just enough carbonation zing. Very dry finish.

D - It's a touch to big to be a session beer, but I'd have a couple bottles of this one if it was my local and it was fresh. Bitterness and alcohol keeps it from being elite, but one of the more "West Coast" DIPAs made on the East Coast.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a Sam Adams imperial series snifter.

Bright orange hue with solid clarity at first, but the beer is unfiltered much like Finest Kind so you get a ton of hop haziness. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder, if you want perfect clarity this IPA is not for you. Huge dense sticky lacing egg shell white head.

The aromas in Big A are a mix of tropical fruit and candy. Big pineapple and orange character, some kiwi, honeydew melon and cantaloupe, raspberry and hard sugar candies like jolly rancher. There is an apparent but not off putting alcohol nose that is much more floral than fusel.

The flavor on this beer is almost exactly what you smell, tropical fruit medley, pineapple, mango, tangerine. the malt character is clean with a touch of sweetness, no caramel or such notes, very straight and a smooth but big bitterness that coats the tongue and is kicked up a notch by the alcohol in the finish.

Lighter side of medium bodied, could be a touch drier, medium light carbonation.

Overall an extremely drinkable and fruity double ipa with layer after layer of fruity hop character and clean pleasant alcohol kick.

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Amber-caramel body. Moderate off-white head. Decent retention and subtle lacing.

S: Orange bitterness. Lots of booze. Tons of caramel malt shining through.

T: Ugh. Not so good. Bitter, orange cough syrup. Lots of alcohol.

M: Thick and somewhat cloying. Significant alcohol burn. A bit of a muddled mess.

D: A very raw beer... reminds me of 120 minute in the do everything extreme, but not well, mindset. Would not revisit.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%

A - A golden amber colour with minimal head retention and some visible carbonation.

S - Citrus (grapefruit and lemon) and pine.

T - Taste is citrus (the grapefruit nose is not as distinguishable as a predominant taste) and earthy hops. The flavour profile is overwhelming bitterness and it loses the citrus and pine palate almost immediately after hitting my tongue, leaving nothing but a bitter aftertaste.

M - A nice medium body that is somewhat chewy.

D - A very drinkable beer, but not a go-to beer for me in the future.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Got this as an extra in a trade.

Pours a hazy orange color. Almost hefeweizen color. Decent sticky head and good lacing.

Aroma is pretty good. But I detect a sort of mildew smell like a wet towel that has been sitting. But there are good citrus aromas and I can tell alot of dry hops.

Taste is ok. More bitter than anything. Not enough hop flavor going on and almost too much bitterness. Not bad, just average. Lots of better IPA's out there.

Mouthfeel is good. A little high on the carb.

Overall no need to seek this out in a trade or drive any distance to get it but if you see it try it. You might like it more than me.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Bamadog for sharing this one.

A: Orangish w/nice 1 inch head that hangs around a while with laching and skim that stays for a while.

S: Citrus! Very prominent along with maybe some orange.

T: Like a punch in the mouth. Hops are dominmant along with some malt to balance.

M: Very creamy, medium carbonation

T: Very high considering the ABV of this brew. Great beer.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

A: Very hazy orange auburn color with lots of unfiltered particles floating around in the beer. Big white head that seems to last forever. Sticky lacing that leaves big clumps along the glass.

S: Pretty balanced aroma of carmel malt and a big punch of hops. Fresh citrus and earthy hop oils.

T: Sweet carmel malt and brown sugar. Earthy hop resin and fresh grapefruit to follow. Hints of mandarin oranges and lemon zest. Also an astringent soapy flavor that is a little odd. Light alcohol at the finish.

M: Full bodied and smooth, spot on for the style.

D: This is a good DIPA, but not great. This one seemed a little too balanced for me. I was looking for a big punch of hops, but Big A IPA never delivered. It's definitely tasty and worth trying, there are many other DIPAs that I would grab first.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Smuttynose Big A IPA from Smuttynose Brewing Company