Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Rye Beer |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 05-17-2010

Brewed exclusively for Julio's Liquors. This is an Imperial Red Rye Ale, aged in bourbon barrels hand-selected by Julio's Loch & Key Society.
4.94/5  rDev +19.3%

Received this in a trade some time ago from jmu500. Was holding on to it for a special occasion, and tonight was that occasion. Thanks so much jmu500; you humble me with your amazing selection for trades, as always!

Appearance - Ry(e)an Ale pours with a huge head and a color just slightly lighter than the color of mahogany wood. The brown and red tinges make an appealing, even pretty brew.

Smell - I love the scent on this one. It starts generally acidic, but open up into a nose dry herbs and grasses. Beneath that,t here's a sweet, maple core with subtle, but present boozy notes.

Taste -- The taste opens with a blase of burnt sugar and maple. It's the perfect level of sweet without ever encroaching on the cloying territory. A deep mexican vanilla note then comes in, paired with the taste of bourbon. Wow, I knew this would be good, but it's *exceptional*.

Mouthfeel -- Ry(e)an Ale is oily and heavy in the mouth and leaves a strong coat. The carbonation is stronger -- stronger than I would have thought I would want for a beer of this kind -- but now that I am exposed to it I can't imagine it being good with less.

This is, clearly, an amazing beer and one I'm glad I had the sense to save for celebration instead of opening randomly. I'll be savoring the rest of the bottle, and missing it when it's gone. Great brew!!! (1,338 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Simply an excellent beer. Bought 3 bottles at Julio's Beerfest. This is the first one I've cracked.

Appearence is a deep mahogony color. Nice fluffy two finger head that seemed to hang around for the duration of my beverage.

Sugary smell with buterscotch and huge notes of bourbon. The aroma of this beer keeps bringing me back for more!

The taste was just like the smell, only subdued. nice warming bourbon taste, sweet malts. I would drink this every day if I could.

Mouthful was pleasant. Typical stickyness one would expect

Dangerously drinkable! So smooth at that alcohol level that one simply cant stop drinking it.

This is my favorite smuttynose by far. I wish they would add this to their lineup somehow. Want to drink this every night after work. Just excellent. (777 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

decided to end my night with this one last night, simply stated one of the best beers i have ever had. served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter this one was consumed on 11/06/2010.

the pour was perfect with a deep reddish brown color and a wonderful head of creamy tan that i swear just would not relent in any way at all. coating the sides and obscuring the other side of the glass completely, i could not imagine this beer looking any better then this.

aroma is instant barrel, loads of light rye, vanilla, hints of caramel and molasses, simply amazing flavor and consistency here. i am blown away by how well this comes across. each sip was like a toffee, caramel, and just wonderfully brilliant flavor explosion, i really count not have asked for this to taste any better. smooth, creamy filling finish was just perfect. i could have an did sip on this one all night.

overall one of the beers that truly lives up to the hype for me. a superior offering for sure. (976 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Reviewed from notes, I expected this to be good but it surely is great.

A- Pours out a dark brown with red hues around the edges. A creamy cream colored head builds to two fingers and retains very well for an aged beer. A huge coat of fine lacing is left by a medium pillow atop the beer.

S- Subtle but nice whiskey and wood notes. Sugary dark fruit aspect. Maybe sherry? Some rye as well in an aroma that has good strength.

T- Wood/oak and whiskey notes blend with dark fruit (cherry) and some cocoa. Viney notes, good rye flavor, tiny alcohol, raisins. There is some hop presence that lends very grassy, earthy and even spicy flavor. Amazing balance of some great flavors.

MF- Low-ish carbonation in a moderate body that has nice cream to it. The palate is left fairly warm by alcohol, feels warmer than 7.8%.

DB- Great price and flavor, amazing use of barrels. Could easily drink the whole bomber. Awesome balance of sometimes overpowering and overused flavors, but not here! (983 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Read Mike's review on this and decided I needed to give it a try. And I must agree, it is a very special beer.

Pours a woody brown with a silky tan head. Excellent lace and retention.

Nose has rye, candy malts, bourbon and oak. Huge depth and complexity.

The whiskey barrels paired very well with this beer. Superb balance.

Full, creamy body is perfectly carbonated. Should age well. (387 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Shared by kkipple at a dirty south tasting

Appearance: Dark brown with a bit of mahogany; nice tan head with some good lacing

Smell: Very nice bourbon element to it with some nice brown sugar, sweet molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel, oak, leather and spice.

Taste: similar to the above; tons of delicious bourbon but it is somehow not overpowering; followed by a nice sweet brown sugar / molasses note with oak, caramel, vanilla and leather in the back end. Very tasty

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full, my second favorite part of this beer after the smooth, smooth bourbon

Drinkability: I was tempted to steal mike's glass as he didn't seem that impressed; I loved this one.

I acquired a few more of this and upped the score. Excellent beer. (747 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a murky mahogany-brown with two fingers of beige head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: lots of vanilla, caramel and toffee aromas. Bourbon aromas are also present, but blend well with the other aromas without too many boozy notes.

T: similar to the aroma, tons of caramel, vanilla, and toffee. Smooth, oaky bourbon brings up the finish, but with surprisingly little alcohol presence.

M: medium-thick body with lowish carbonation, this beer is creamy, but still has a nice bite.

O: a very good beer. Reminds me a lot of a bbal Scotch ale, moreso than a rye ale. Still, super tasty and smooth. (627 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.4%

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fl ozs. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Served in a pint glass

Cloudy, crimson-hued mahogany in appearance. A small, bubbly, saddle brown cap of froth topped the liquid. No lacing to speak of.

The nose was simply astounding. Robust caramel malts, brown sugar and sweet bourbon notes dominated. Vanilla came through super strong. Some maple and honey too. Dark fruits appeared as well. Strangely, there was a noticeable Belgian-like component. As the beer warmed, the vanilla notes became even more apparent.

The flavor profile was also quite impressive. Lots of toffee and dark fruit flavors. Some brown sugar. Rich caramel malts served as a nice backbone. Slightly sour. Nutty in the center. Again, there was a fruity, phenolic Belgian yeast component. Bourbon notes appeared in the finish, but the booziness was kept to a minimum. If I were to nitpick, I might point out the fact that the rye was undetectable. Seeing as I am not a fan of rye beers however, I was able to overlook this shortcoming.

The mouthfeel was amazingly creamy and smooth with a fine, zippy effervescence. Medium bodied. Frothy with just enough heft to keep the beer weighted to my palate.

Ry(e)an Ale simply blew me away. Beers this flavorful (and barrel-aged beers in general) usually clock in at around 9% ABV or more. It was nice to see a beer this modest in alcohol pack this much complexity. I really hope this will be brewed again someday. (1,466 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

22 oz bottle

A: Pours a very thick looking amber under a medium white head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Fruity and very woody, vinous, caramel, toasted, hint of bourbon, but wood character is the story for me more than the bourbon which will show up next.

T: Again, very woody, bourbon is very apparent, fruity, sweet, spicy rye, hint of alcohol. Bourbon much bigger in the taste for me.

M/D: Medium to full bodied, carbonation is touch high but contributes a little to some creaminess. Drinkability is good. Maybe the most barreled character I've had in a beer. It says bourbon barrel aged and it delivers. Very good. (622 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

22oz bottle into snifter. Huge thanks to SneezyAchew who gave me this extra a while back.

A: Pours a dark maroon with a soft off white head that faded into a fuzzy film that left rings of fine lacing down the glass.
S: Notes of vanilla, caramel, bourbon, spicy rye, and a hint of apples, grapes and other fruit.
T: Follows the nose with all the fruity, spicy, sweet and alcoholic flavors blending exceptionally well. Flavors of sweet fruits, warm bourbon and spicy rye and hops are so integrated and creamy that it's hard to describe how surprised I am at how much I love this beer.
M: Soft and creamy with a full body, heavy and slightly oily mouthfeel and soft carbonation.
O: Amazing flavor. Maybe I just haven't had another beer like this, and I came into this beer not expecting much, but I am really enjoying the complexities of the flavor. If you're a fan of rye or bourbon (or barleywines) definitely check this one out! (931 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours an incredibly dark amber color that's close to being a brown ale, thin tan head that fades fairly fast and leaves very little lacing and nary a cap, from the darkness I can't tell if it's hazy or not, would be a perfect 5 if not for the lacking of head.

Smell has a nice aroma of caramel malt along with the perfect blend of bourbon and wood, probably one of the most balanced barrel aged beers that doesn't go overboard or doesn't age it enough.

The taste has a very soft mouthfeel, the carbonation really helps in this regard by being quite assertive but isn't harsh, the caramel malt melds with the bourbon and oak, the barrel aging comes through more in the aftertaste and leaves also a slight burning sensation, a subtle dark fruit presence is in the forefront of the flavor, the heat seems a bit much for a 7.7% beer and ultimately holds this beer back from being almost perfect.

Really wishing I picked up a few extra bottles because I have a feeling this one will age quite well and will only get better. The next time I'm at Julio's, I definitely will. (1,070 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from the bottle into my New Holland High Gravity series tulip. Thanks portia99 for this amazing extra!

A - Orange-brown body with a light tan head on top.

S - Nice bourbon smell on the nose with a hint of funk in the nose.

T - Follows the nose. Bourbon smell up front with a hint of funk in the end. Hints of caramel and lots of dried fruit as well. Sweet finish that lingers.

M - medium body with a syrupy texture.

D - Soooo good. Excellent use of the barrel in this one. The bourbon gives this beer some zing while not dominating. I would love to try this again. Portia99 always sends the best extras! (615 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Bottle courtesy of gnosis, thanks again!

Pours a dark and bright amber color with a smaller white head.

Aromas are of brown sugars, light sweet bourbon, with hints of rye bread. Smells quite nice.

Taste starts out with some deep caramel, molasses, and creamy sweetness. Beer then settles Into some nice warm bourbon notes, and a finish that has hints of rye spice and alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is very nice, thick, viscous, but not too heavy.

Drinkability is top notch. What a flavorful barrel aged beer that doesn't blow you away with a ton of alcohol. I really am digging this, seek this one out! (603 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

All I can really say about this beer is that it reminds me of sweet tea with a spicy wood kick. It makes me think I'm sittin' on a fornt porch somewhere in the south dressed like Colonel Sanders eating some fried chicken. Yeah, it's that good.

This aged a lot better then I thought it would, could go for a lot longer. (320 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From notes

A: Deep reddish orange color with a quarter finger of white head and some lacing. Surprised to see both the amount of head and the decent head retention with the barrel aging. Really excellent.

S: The bourbon is there is spades but it is a nice mix of spirit and barrel. Nice oak note with some vanilla. Spicy. Rye bread. Caramel. Rich malt. Touch of leather as well. I love the smell of this beer.

T: Really wonder what the percentage of rye is on this one. Quite spicy. The barrels and the rye ale work so well together. The bourbon is not nearly as strong as it is in the nose. More mellow. The coconut and vanilla come through again from the oak. Little brown sugar as it warms up. Really nice and complex.

M: Smooth and a really nice creamy mouthfeel. Sometimes barrel aging can dry a beer out even more but that was not the case with this beer.

D: Drinks much bigger than it is. I love this beer. I have grabbed a few bottles every time I am at Julios and will continue to do so until I run them dry. Well done. (1,033 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

I have been waiting for this beer for about a year. I was one of the lucky few who went down to Kentucky with Ryan and Julios to pick out the barrels of bourbon. He then mentioned to me a short time later that the barrels would be dropped off at Smuttynose to make some type of awesome beer. I knew Smuttynose would do it justice, and here it finally is, and I have to say it lived up to the hype!

A: Served just slightly chilled into my Smuttynose Big Beer tulip/snifter glass it makes a large 2 finger head of fluffy and fizz which fades at a medium pace and slows to a crawl after a few seconds. The beer is a slightly clear dark maroon reddish brown color with lots of dark shades but nice light coming through, and I can almost swear to see little flecks of oak char, but I think that's just my imagination. I can also see light refracting through like sunlight beaming through clouds from the heavens.

N: Beautiful nose, especially if you are a bourbon or rye whisky drinker. Lots of malts to start, very rich, some darker malts but mostly crystal malts. A nice rye malt aroma as well adds a touch of spice and fruit. I do get a hint of roasted malt though. Then comes the really nice part, all the bourbon and oak. I get a nice bourbon aroma, not strong alcohol, just the nice caramel and rich bourbon soaked oak aromas. The oak is lighter with a little charred oak aroma. The oak also brings some vanilla to the table, adding a nice subtle balance to the spicy rye and heavy rich malts. There is a slight rye whisky aroma too, for anyone familiar with them. With all that there is almost no hint of booze aroma.

T: The taste starts very rich, with tons of malts again. Lots of crystal malt, caramel flavors, a little sweetness but not much. There is a dominate spicy rye flavor too, with some fruit qualities. The rye also seems to dry the flavor quite a bit, especially as it warms. As it warms the thick slightly syrupy malt seems to melt in my mouth like candy, and turns almost to a fluffy caramelized bourbon flavor. The bourbon comes through after a few seconds, adding some bourbon flavor, but not as much as the nose had. It adds some caramel and rye whisky flavors, and the slightest hint of booze. The oak also shines as it warms especially, adding more caramel and toasted oak flavors, no woody resin though, and more vanilla imparted. The layers of malts, to bourbon, to rye, to vanilla and oak are crazy and very tasty.

M: Starts a little thick and slightly syrupy but as it warms in the mouth, it melts like butter into a soft and slightly velvety nice body, and has a good amount of carbonation.

F: It finishes pretty dry, as I could tell it would. The longer it sat in my mouth the drier it got, and is a characteristic of the rye. The rye dominates part of the finish, with the initial spicy rye taste. It then turns to a slight woody esther finally, but not too much, with a slight more oak. Somewhat sticky as well with residual syrupy feel, but not sweetness left. It also leaves a long lingering fruit flavor on the back of the tongue. Most of the malt and bourbon flavors disappear quickly though, which leaves a little to be desired on the finish, as the rye just takes over and kicks everything else out the window.

As I expected with our hand selected barrels, Smuttynose delivered, and perhaps even better than I expected. This is such a complex and delicious beer, and is more drinkable than you would expect. I only wonder how the 2 cases I plan to buy will age. As we get ready to head back down to Kentucky again this coming Monday, I look forward to amazing whisky selections we can pick, and whatever amazing beer Ryan has in store for us next year. (3,697 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

a hazy brown-mahogany with a huge light tan head that holds on to the glass and retains well.

smells of bourbon mostly with some butterscotch, booze, brown sugar, caramelized sugar, oak, vanilla, maple syrup, caramel, toffee, a bit of rye bread and spice underneath. wow, very aromatic!

taste is sweet of bourbon and oak with some vanilla extract. a tad boozy, but not in a bad way. pure maple syrup, butterscotch, and toffee sweeten up the underlying rye spice which comes through a bit more as it warms. warming booziness. sweet bourbon flavors dominate throughout, and may be a bit much for some people, but work perfectly for me.

full-medium bodied with a syrupy feel left in the mouth after the swallow. sweetness lingers for a long, long time.

goes down so smooth. a sipper, due to the strong flavors, but not too harshly boozy, though booze is present throughout. Rye fades maybe a bit too much into the background. You have to like bourbon-aged beers to enjoy this one, but if you do...

___
over a year later: hasn't aged as well as expected. lots of old ale flavors with some rye and barleywine qualities and a bit less of the wonderful bourbon. its still amazing, but I thought it would increase in complexity, rather than decrease. (1,247 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

22oz. bottle served at 50 degrees in my ST tulip. Poured with a luxurious 3.5 inch, creamy, dense, tan-colored head that exhibited excellent retention. As the head gradually recedes into a solid, quarter inch cap, intricate honeycombs of delicate lacing are formed on the walls of the glass around the entire perimeter - I've never seen lacing like this. Body was a semi-hazy, dull, burnt red. Nose reveals a buttery quality with a hint of oak, as well as a toasted malt character and perhaps the merest suggestion of a singular dark fruit. Taste consistent with nose - layers of complexity here. I also get some vanilla accents in the mix. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a mild carbonation and a creamy quality across the tongue. This beer has, by far, exceeded my expectations. It is delicate, complex and extremely drinkable at 7.70%. Not sure I would classify it as a Rye beer; perhaps more of an American Strong. Nonetheless, however you classify it, it is a spectacular beer. This is exactly why Smuttynose is one of my favorite breweries. (1,045 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: The beer appears slightly hazy and is chestnut brown in color. Atop the beer sits a half inch of head that leaves a decent amount of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is an enticing mix of bourbon, rye, vanilla, malt, oak barrels.

T: What a fabulous beer! I was completely taken by surprise. Everything found in the aroma shines through in a masterfully crafted beer with balance, subtlety and complexity.

M: Medium bodied and packed with flavor throughout. Alcohol presence is there, but I wouldn't describe the beer as hot.

D: Very drinkable. I would really like to have this again. (638 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Got a bottle from jmu500...thanks John!! Poured from a 22oz bottle into my tasting snifter, shared with 3 friends. Pours a creamy caramel color, filling the glass a darker brownish/caramel. A massive creamy head forms, with excellent retention. A few bright tan floaties form around the bottom of the glass. Leaves a very nice creamy lacing all around the glass.

Aroma is sweet: caramel, bourbon, malts, rye. Aroma almost reminds me of a very sweet water ice.

Flavor is great. Mouthfeel is medium body, very creamy, mild carbonation...extremely drinkable. Loads of caramel, malts, and slight bourbon. A very mild hop character, but not the biggest factor. Sweet flavors throughout. This has got to be my favorite Smuttynose beer I've had. Excellent beer! (756 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8%

In line at founders for CBS

A-murky auburn color with white head

S-very sweet and invitihg. Can't wait for the taste!!

T-sweetness of thye bourbon melds well with the rye body

M-medium body and smooth

O-very good beer. Glad to have got to try it... (253 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Batch No. 2. Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 8 oz snifter.

A- pours a dark amber, brown with a 1 finger tan head. Nice trails and bubbles of lacing remain on the glass.

S- huge bourbon flavors but not alcohol smell. Tobacco, chocolate, vanilla, oak and toffee.

T- delicious bourbon, vanilla, leather, chocolate, tobacco, sweet toffee. Not a much spice from the rye, but may be overpowered by the bourbon.

M- medium body and carbonation. For a lower abv barrel aged beer, there is almost no heat in this beer.

O- very good BA Beer. Reminiscent of very good BA Barleywine. Has great flavors and aromas that make this beer. (627 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A- pours a deep red color with a finger and a half of light tan head. Good retention.

S- intense sultry bourbon nose with notes of vanilla, caramel and aggressive American oak. Spicy rye and rich malt aromas.

T- again delicious amazing bourbon with the vanilla, caramel and oak. The rye comes in with spice and smoothness. Nice sugary barleywine characteristics. Really superb flavor!

MF- syrupy smooth mouthfeel. light medium body. Soft fine low carbonation.

D- nice easy drinking for a barrel aged beer. Drinks with flavor of a double diget abv at 7.7%

overall a superb brew. (582 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I forget who sent me this beer, but I have to say, thanks! Amazing nonetheless!

Murky, mysterious body. Light brown, leather in color with a khaki head. Looks amazing. Lacing is rather scarce and with a hard pour into my Unibroue flute/tulip, I get a good 2 inches of solid head. Like I said, looks phenominal.

Oh sweert mercy, I found my bourbon angel. The nose, though laced with all the pleasantries of bourbon aging (molasses, caramel, vanilla, dark fruits) it is the mere fact that is done so mildly. No up in your face bourbon notes. I have to say that the rye nature to the beer is rather lacking, yet there remains beneath a spicy base that yearns to break through. So, damn, inviting.

Caramel front, mid body loaded with dark fruits and vanilla, and a burning, bourbon finish. Spicy notes linger in the throat (the rye?). Again, well bourbon-ized. No cloying sweetness, no overdrawn heat. This is a beer where you can taste the bourbon, and the beer. Very well done.

Sticky, oily, viscous body. Lingering flavors mean business. A slow sipper and a great beer to share. Amazing. I am sad I only have one. I am cookoo for this beer. (1,146 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Brez07 for picking this up for me on one of his many Julio's runs. The bottle has been in my cellar for about 6 weeks. I'm pouring it into a small snifter.

The beer pours a clear red with lots of carbonation rising up form the clump of bubbles at the bottom of the glass. The head is a large, thick egg shell foam. Swirling leaves a good even coat of foam on the walls of the glass.

The aroma is very good. Lots of rye and bourbon are apparent, but the bourbon is not harsh at all; it's subtle and unlike smelling a lot of bourbon barrel aged ales. Behind these dominant scents are some notes of oak and a little bit of smokiness.

Each sip begins with some good red ale characteristics; lots of malt and a bit of caramel.There is some rye apparent in there, and its flavors last throughout each swallow. Near the finish, the bourbon comes to the front. It is smokey, woody and a little bit alcoholic. It works very well with the red rye flavors. Some of the bourbon lingers after I swallow, as do the red ale malts. The aftertaste is not too strong.

This is a medium bodied beer with plenty of carbonation to keep it feeling lively in my mouth. The coat isn't thick, but it is sticky. There's no burning sensation--in fact there's hardly a tingle.

This is a very drinkable bourbon barrel aged beer. I find all of the flavors to be quite tasty, none of which are too strong to be overwhelming. The ABV isn't as high as a many brewers are temped to make their Imperial barrel aged beers, so that helps the drinkability. I've only finished a portion of this 22oz bottle, but I don't foresee any problems finishing it. One bottle will be plenty though. This beer would fit nicely in Smuttynose's Short Batch series. Hopefully it is produced again as part of that draft-only series. (1,792 characters)

Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company