Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Ry(e)an AleSmuttynose Ry(e)an Ale

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Rye Beer |  7.70% ABV

Brewed exclusively for Julio's Liquors. This is an Imperial Red Rye Ale, aged in bourbon barrels hand-selected by Julio's Loch & Key Society.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 05-17-2010)

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Received this in a trade some time ago from jmu500. Was holding on to it for a special occasion, and tonight was that occasion. Thanks so much jmu500; you humble me with your amazing selection for trades, as always!

Appearance - Ry(e)an Ale pours with a huge head and a color just slightly lighter than the color of mahogany wood. The brown and red tinges make an appealing, even pretty brew.

Smell - I love the scent on this one. It starts generally acidic, but open up into a nose dry herbs and grasses. Beneath that,t here's a sweet, maple core with subtle, but present boozy notes.

Taste -- The taste opens with a blase of burnt sugar and maple. It's the perfect level of sweet without ever encroaching on the cloying territory. A deep mexican vanilla note then comes in, paired with the taste of bourbon. Wow, I knew this would be good, but it's *exceptional*.

Mouthfeel -- Ry(e)an Ale is oily and heavy in the mouth and leaves a strong coat. The carbonation is stronger -- stronger than I would have thought I would want for a beer of this kind -- but now that I am exposed to it I can't imagine it being good with less.

This is, clearly, an amazing beer and one I'm glad I had the sense to save for celebration instead of opening randomly. I'll be savoring the rest of the bottle, and missing it when it's gone. Great brew!!!

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

Simply an excellent beer. Bought 3 bottles at Julio's Beerfest. This is the first one I've cracked.

Appearence is a deep mahogony color. Nice fluffy two finger head that seemed to hang around for the duration of my beverage.

Sugary smell with buterscotch and huge notes of bourbon. The aroma of this beer keeps bringing me back for more!

The taste was just like the smell, only subdued. nice warming bourbon taste, sweet malts. I would drink this every day if I could.

Mouthful was pleasant. Typical stickyness one would expect

Dangerously drinkable! So smooth at that alcohol level that one simply cant stop drinking it.

This is my favorite smuttynose by far. I wish they would add this to their lineup somehow. Want to drink this every night after work. Just excellent.

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

decided to end my night with this one last night, simply stated one of the best beers i have ever had. served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter this one was consumed on 11/06/2010.

the pour was perfect with a deep reddish brown color and a wonderful head of creamy tan that i swear just would not relent in any way at all. coating the sides and obscuring the other side of the glass completely, i could not imagine this beer looking any better then this.

aroma is instant barrel, loads of light rye, vanilla, hints of caramel and molasses, simply amazing flavor and consistency here. i am blown away by how well this comes across. each sip was like a toffee, caramel, and just wonderfully brilliant flavor explosion, i really count not have asked for this to taste any better. smooth, creamy filling finish was just perfect. i could have an did sip on this one all night.

overall one of the beers that truly lives up to the hype for me. a superior offering for sure.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Reviewed from notes, I expected this to be good but it surely is great.

A- Pours out a dark brown with red hues around the edges. A creamy cream colored head builds to two fingers and retains very well for an aged beer. A huge coat of fine lacing is left by a medium pillow atop the beer.

S- Subtle but nice whiskey and wood notes. Sugary dark fruit aspect. Maybe sherry? Some rye as well in an aroma that has good strength.

T- Wood/oak and whiskey notes blend with dark fruit (cherry) and some cocoa. Viney notes, good rye flavor, tiny alcohol, raisins. There is some hop presence that lends very grassy, earthy and even spicy flavor. Amazing balance of some great flavors.

MF- Low-ish carbonation in a moderate body that has nice cream to it. The palate is left fairly warm by alcohol, feels warmer than 7.8%.

DB- Great price and flavor, amazing use of barrels. Could easily drink the whole bomber. Awesome balance of sometimes overpowering and overused flavors, but not here!

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Read Mike's review on this and decided I needed to give it a try. And I must agree, it is a very special beer.

Pours a woody brown with a silky tan head. Excellent lace and retention.

Nose has rye, candy malts, bourbon and oak. Huge depth and complexity.

The whiskey barrels paired very well with this beer. Superb balance.

Full, creamy body is perfectly carbonated. Should age well.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Shared by kkipple at a dirty south tasting

Appearance: Dark brown with a bit of mahogany; nice tan head with some good lacing

Smell: Very nice bourbon element to it with some nice brown sugar, sweet molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel, oak, leather and spice.

Taste: similar to the above; tons of delicious bourbon but it is somehow not overpowering; followed by a nice sweet brown sugar / molasses note with oak, caramel, vanilla and leather in the back end. Very tasty

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full, my second favorite part of this beer after the smooth, smooth bourbon

Drinkability: I was tempted to steal mike's glass as he didn't seem that impressed; I loved this one.

I acquired a few more of this and upped the score. Excellent beer.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a murky mahogany-brown with two fingers of beige head that recedes into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: lots of vanilla, caramel and toffee aromas. Bourbon aromas are also present, but blend well with the other aromas without too many boozy notes.

T: similar to the aroma, tons of caramel, vanilla, and toffee. Smooth, oaky bourbon brings up the finish, but with surprisingly little alcohol presence.

M: medium-thick body with lowish carbonation, this beer is creamy, but still has a nice bite.

O: a very good beer. Reminds me a lot of a bbal Scotch ale, moreso than a rye ale. Still, super tasty and smooth.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz bottle into snifter. Huge thanks to SneezyAchew who gave me this extra a while back.

A: Pours a dark maroon with a soft off white head that faded into a fuzzy film that left rings of fine lacing down the glass.
S: Notes of vanilla, caramel, bourbon, spicy rye, and a hint of apples, grapes and other fruit.
T: Follows the nose with all the fruity, spicy, sweet and alcoholic flavors blending exceptionally well. Flavors of sweet fruits, warm bourbon and spicy rye and hops are so integrated and creamy that it's hard to describe how surprised I am at how much I love this beer.
M: Soft and creamy with a full body, heavy and slightly oily mouthfeel and soft carbonation.
O: Amazing flavor. Maybe I just haven't had another beer like this, and I came into this beer not expecting much, but I am really enjoying the complexities of the flavor. If you're a fan of rye or bourbon (or barleywines) definitely check this one out!

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

22 oz bottle

A: Pours a very thick looking amber under a medium white head. Nice retention and lace.

S: Fruity and very woody, vinous, caramel, toasted, hint of bourbon, but wood character is the story for me more than the bourbon which will show up next.

T: Again, very woody, bourbon is very apparent, fruity, sweet, spicy rye, hint of alcohol. Bourbon much bigger in the taste for me.

M/D: Medium to full bodied, carbonation is touch high but contributes a little to some creaminess. Drinkability is good. Maybe the most barreled character I've had in a beer. It says bourbon barrel aged and it delivers. Very good.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

All I can really say about this beer is that it reminds me of sweet tea with a spicy wood kick. It makes me think I'm sittin' on a fornt porch somewhere in the south dressed like Colonel Sanders eating some fried chicken. Yeah, it's that good.

This aged a lot better then I thought it would, could go for a lot longer.

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fl ozs. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Served in a pint glass

Cloudy, crimson-hued mahogany in appearance. A small, bubbly, saddle brown cap of froth topped the liquid. No lacing to speak of.

The nose was simply astounding. Robust caramel malts, brown sugar and sweet bourbon notes dominated. Vanilla came through super strong. Some maple and honey too. Dark fruits appeared as well. Strangely, there was a noticeable Belgian-like component. As the beer warmed, the vanilla notes became even more apparent.

The flavor profile was also quite impressive. Lots of toffee and dark fruit flavors. Some brown sugar. Rich caramel malts served as a nice backbone. Slightly sour. Nutty in the center. Again, there was a fruity, phenolic Belgian yeast component. Bourbon notes appeared in the finish, but the booziness was kept to a minimum. If I were to nitpick, I might point out the fact that the rye was undetectable. Seeing as I am not a fan of rye beers however, I was able to overlook this shortcoming.

The mouthfeel was amazingly creamy and smooth with a fine, zippy effervescence. Medium bodied. Frothy with just enough heft to keep the beer weighted to my palate.

Ry(e)an Ale simply blew me away. Beers this flavorful (and barrel-aged beers in general) usually clock in at around 9% ABV or more. It was nice to see a beer this modest in alcohol pack this much complexity. I really hope this will be brewed again someday.

Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company