Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Rye Beer |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 05-17-2010

Brewed exclusively for Julio's Liquors. This is an Imperial Red Rye Ale, aged in bourbon barrels hand-selected by Julio's Loch & Key Society.
2.13/5  rDev -48.7%

I was finally able to make a run to Julio's when visiting family over the holidays, and grabbed a bottle of this along with quite a few other beers I can't get or haven't seen in NY. I was particularly interested in Ry(e)an as apparently you can only get it at Julio's. Of note, this was from batch 2 (purchased December 31, 2011).

Appearance is solid. Nice dark copper beer with a dense shallow head that sticks around a while.

This beer, to be honest, smells like a caramel apple. None of your typical floral or citrus notes on the nose in this beer. I had caramel apple on the nose, and orchards on the brain when smelling this.

What can I say, I wasn't happy with how this beer tasted. I found it to be overwhelmingly sweet (and I'm a big beer lover) and off balance. If there are hops in this beer, I'll be damned if I could taste them. I got a heavy onslaught of caramel sweetness and some tartness on the back with a bit of a lingering boozy aftertaste. I don't know why they bothered making this a rye, as I couldn't find any of it in the flavor at all. I love a good rye beer, and this was just disappointing.

Mouthfeel was very heavy and thick, like a thin syrup. No carbonation on the tongue at all, though it's lightly present in the glass. I felt like there was a film left in my mouth, on my teeth, on my tongue, upon finish. The boozy aftertaste did nothing to dry things up between sips.

Overall I was very disappointed in this beer. I know and enjoy Smuttynose, and this is just not one of their better batches. Maybe I got a bum bottle, or maybe batch 2 just wasn't up to snuff. I don't know, but I was shocked that this beer rated so well given my disappointment with it. I'd split it with my father on New Year's Eve, and he passed his glass over to me to finish. It's just not an enjoyable beer, unfortunately.

3.12/5  rDev -24.8%

Date: 02/17/2011
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Poured a light brown mahoghany w/ a 2 finger tan head that left medium lacing. Aromas of caramel, toffee, bourbon, oak, bradiness, and spices. The appearance and nose were definately the best aspects of this brew. Taste was the same as the nose w/ an extremely heavy bourbon booze character. Mouthfeel? I could not really determine that because I was so overwhelmed by the bourbon. As far as drinkability, I would say this is not very drinkable at all, dut to being a disjointed boozy mess.

Highly disappointed by this brew! It pains me to say that as I believe this is the first beer I have ever had from Smuttynose that I disliked. Will not be revisiting this one.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

3.37/5  rDev -18.8%

A clearish light brown beer, ugly. A light tan head ok retention, but watery lacing...The aroma is tons of bourbon, with rye and touch of spice. Too much bourbon for me, not balanced...The taste is more of the same, generic bourbon that most ok ba beers taste like, woodford reserve anyone? The bourbon dominates and I'm just not into it at all. Way to hot.

Not worth trying.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a lighter brown color with a slightly reddened tint along the edges. There is a small off-white head that recedes rather quickly.

Aromas begin with strong amounts of rye bourbon, almost completely dominating. There is a bit of sweet caramel maltiness to help to balance the boozy rye.

The tastes follow the nose pretty much with a small amount of sweet caramel malt but the spicy rye bourbon jumps right in to assert itself. Oak, vanilla and whiskey continue to emerge and dominate the flavor profile.

The mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with medium to low carbonation. Finish is slightly hot and boozy from the barrel aging.

Overall this drinks much boozier than any beer of this low an ABV should. The base beer is almost undetectable because they barrel aged an amber ale; maybe partial barrel aged would have been a safer voyage but this basically drinks like a boilermaker (shot of whiskey dropped in a beer).

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a light brown and cloudy. The initial head is literally over-the-top of my 24-ounce glass. Leaves light lace on the glass.

Lots of darker, sweeter malt aroma. Smells like brown sugar.

Very sweet, like a light barley wine or a scotch ale--lots of molasses. I do not detect any rye. Very low to no hop in this beer. Very rich from malt sugars in this beer. Low alcohol, perhaps due to the high malt sugar level.

Not a style for me, it's like a super strong Scotch ale and it's a little too sweet for that.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a dark mahogany with a small reddish hue. No head, just a thin ring of beige foam around the rim .

Lots of bourbon in the nose with hints of caramel. Very strong boozey nose with a little bit of sweetness rounding it out. Distinct rye flavors with some fresh berries on the pallet. Nice oaky bourbon finish with some sweetness rounding this out.

Medium body with sharp carbonation. A little bit hot. Overall I think this is an example of the barrel overpowering everything else a bit much. Tasty because I like bourbon but
some of the flavors seem to get a little lost.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

I stopped by Julio's on the way back from Mohegan Sun and there was a line. So I stood in it. Lo and behind there was a beer tasting and release of an exclusive Smuttynose beer. I think Forrest Gump had a thing about if you see a line, stand in it. Especially if said line ends at a liquor store.

Cloudy red clay brown. Thin white head never diminishes and just takes the ride down mine glass. No retention but the stubborn, elevator-esque head more than makes up for that. Ugly color though.

Aroma is great. Rich caramel and toffee with a bourbon, rye spice. Not necessarily alcoholic, let's call it a boozey sophistication. Barleywine fruity esters spring up as the beer warms.

Aggressive and forward at first, the rye hits first then is immediately followed by a bourbon kiss. A caramel and molasses sweetness calms the bourbon and rye down. Eventually the two blend and compliment into a compensatory relationship. Richness ensues.

I like a lot of things about this beer; the bourbon, the molasses, rye etc, I just don't think it comes together as a whole in an easily accessible package. Raw and ADD.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to rpstevens for this in my Secret Santa package.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a RR wine glass. Shared with Kels.

A: Pours a murky orangish rusty brown. Moderate head on the pour, without much retention or lacing.

S: Quite a bit of alcohol in the nose and some tart fruitiness. Plenty of barrel as well. Sweet malts, not really smelling the rye.

T/M: Still a good bit of alcohol but not too hot. Alcohol has a bit of citrus like pungency. Lots of tart fruits... not so much barrel infection but I'm not sure where it would be coming from. More of the sweet malts with some deeper flavor and some of the rye coming out with light spiciness. Body is only about medium with mild carbonation.

D: 7.7% is surprisingly low considering all the very present alcohol. I would have guessed this at over 10%. Not the easiest drinker, especially since it's only 7.7%.

3.61/5  rDev -13%

22oz bottle at a tasting, courtesy of thickerfreakness.

Ry(e)an pours into my snifter with a deep, rustic copper hue that has a nice breadth to its color. A well-retained khaki head floats up top, but doesn't last long. The aroma is almost overwhelmingly green with wooden barrels, Pinesol, and lemongrass. Toffee sweetness from the malts lurks in the background with some orange peel, but this Rye Beer is dominated by the smell of fresh bourbon barrels.

The flavor tones down the younger qualities displayed in the aroma and replaces it with a healthy backing of rye and toasted caramel malts. Lots of tropical fruitiness in the middle. Booze is spicy on the finish, but not too hot or over-powering. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light and almost fluffy with a tight, yet effervescent carbonation level. All in all, Smuttynose has delivered a unique Rye that's pleasing, but has a little too much going on upstairs for my palate. Be interesting to see how this one ages, but the fresh bottle wasn't up my alley.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Foamy/Creamy 2 fingers of head top this mostly brown beer. Some lacing left behind.

Aroma is totally bourbon/vanilla... with a sweet caramel note to it.

At first I enjoyed it, but it became too sweet. Tons of vanilla, bourbon and caramel just like in the nose. Just a touch of spice from the rye, but I thought it's character was masked by the almost overpowering caramel sweetness.

Medium bodied, not really sticky but almost makes me consider it so...

I lost steam as I worked through the glass. I think there is something here if they tried again.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark mahogony in color almost 1-finger head that fades to just a ring of fizziness around the perimeter. Looks a little lifeless. But a little lacing does occur.

Aroma gives off bourbon right off the bat. Big notes of vanilla as well. Rye is then noticeable underneath that.

A medley of favors bring to mind fig, cherry, brown sugar, bourbon, with rye sitting underneath its all. It's quite sweet. Some bitterness is lacking.

Mouthfeel is a little thin but it also feels slick and syrupy so that prevents it from being too thin, I think.

Overall the layers of flavor and aromatic notes are interesting and fairly impressive, however, it's quite syrupy and the levels of favors here need some modifying. The bourbon overtakes the flavor profile a bit too much and some added bitterness and dryness might do this some good. Worth trying once but I won't get it again.

Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale from Smuttynose Brewing Company