Smuttynose Short Batch #13 - Satchmo - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Porter |  4.75% ABV

Beer added by: johnnnniee on 11-12-2011

"Satchmo," is a collaboration between Smuttynose and Portsmouth's Black Trumpet Bistro. It's also a collaboration between two fungi, brewer's yeast (sacchromyces cerevisiae) and black trumpet mushrooms (craterellus cornucopioides).

3.37/5  rDev -8.9%

This beer poured out as a dark brown color with a tan colored head on top. The smell of the beer has some earthy roasted notes with just a touch of chocolate also. The taste of the beer was average to me, I just wasn't feeling this one too much. Very earthy is all I can really come up with for this one. The mouthfeel was decent but again nothing too special to me. Overall it wasn't bad but I wouldn't need to have it again I don't think.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

On-tap 8/5/2014 at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with rich flavors of black coffee and milk chocolate followed by a hearty roasted malt character. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to taste the mushrooms but I did not detect them at all. The hops presence is mild but complementary and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a solid beer to drink for a while if you’re in the mood for the style.

Keg at EBF.

A darker molasses brown colored beer, light creamy/fizzy head.

Nose toasty brown malts, light oak, light nutty herbal like, nice dark porter malts, hint roasted malts and hint if cocoa.

Taste more baltic porter like, light earthy bitterness, dark malts, cocoa, black patent, hint if spices, weird herbal earthy flavor that must be the mushrooms, actually the more I sip it the more I get a slight earthy juicy like taste that is like the water that comes out of a portabello mushroom, herbal bitterness, nutty, caramel, light spicy hops hint of oak. A hint of earthy herbal spicy hops round off as it finishes with more earthy flavors, a bit drier, and some malts.

Mouth is a bit lighter than I expected, but decent carb.

Overall not bad, an interesting beer to try but not something I would buy more than once or twice.

3.47/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Moderate head. Leaves some spots. The liquid is dark brown but the light does pass on the edge c

Baker's chocolate aroma. Absolutely no sweetness to the nose. A bit chalky.

Dry and watery are my first two impressions. The malt has elements of coffee and powdered cocoa. The aftertaste reminds me of burnt toast. Low carbonation which probably helps the thin body.

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap at the Gate in Brooklyn, a few months ago and reviewed from notes.

Pours dark brown and murky, under a dark khaki head, that stays well and leaves behind nice looking fine sheeting ans scattered lace.

Nose is faintly of dark malts and some subtle earthyness also picked up.

Tastes of roasty malts, soft caramel, some moderate sweetness, yes earthy and enjoyable porter/stout/brown ale kinda brew. Happy to get to enjoy this reare and tasty nectar.

3.19/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

On tap at Worthy Burger. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Black body, but not deep black. Brown at the edges. Small khaki head. Some lacing inside the glass.

Smell - Chocolate malt. Light chocolate. Could be the power of suggestion but I smell some earthy mushrooms.

Taste - Chocolate again, light chocolate flavor. I swear it's a little salty in the middle. I don't get a mushroom flavor, but I get a depth to the chocolate that might be from the mushrooms.

Mouthfeel - Very light for a porter. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Interesting concept, but it's kinda bland.

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

On cask at Nerax North
Pours a solid dark brown color with a decent off white head with moderate linger. Smells of caramel, chocolate, roast, earth, funk, and some other stuff that seems odd and indescribable to me. This tastes like a mild porter with a caramel chocolate and light roast that should be there There's also a weird earthy herbal funk in there that at first seems odd, but eventually grows on you, well like a mushroom. Lingering dry earthy and hoppy finish lasts long into every sip. Medium body and carbonation level with a tart earthy mouthfeel. Infinitely different, a little weird, but damn this just works. I went back for seconds and I can't stand mushrooms, it's just really good stuff.

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a very dark brown with a slowly receding cap of silky froth. The head is a pale tan hue and it leaves rocky lacing scars along my glass.

S-nose is very interesting. I immediately pick up the repercussions of this beer's time spent in red wine barrels. I also get a tangy, earthy, sour-cheesy aroma that must have something to do with the mushrooms. The Base beer is overshadowed. Makes me crinkle up my nostrils after every whiff. Do I like it? I'm not sure.

T-The Porter base is much clearer here. Light roast and some chalkiness. Light acidity and fruit that I attribute to the wine barrel. The mushrooms influence the finish. I taste a genuine, fleshy earthiness that must be the mushroom's doing. A little bit of milk chocolate. Some soggy oakiness.

M-Silky feel with a light body and soft carbonation. The flavors don't linger for very long. Has a savory feel to it.

O-Mushroom beer...now I can check that off the list. The nose was far more outlandish than the flavor. It piqued my interest because of its backstory but it lacks a bit of substance beyond that. To its credit, it gets more intense as it warms.

Smuttynose Short Batch #13 - Satchmo from Smuttynose Brewing Company