Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown AleSmuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Brown Ale |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Maxwell on 12-21-2012)
2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

SenatorSpaceman, Jul 06, 2014

bigpoppa67, Jul 06, 2014

bret717, Jul 03, 2014

carlandc2, Jul 03, 2014
3.24/5  rDev -18%

I had scored this over at The Fridge at he beginning of Mud Season here in Lancaster County, PA and set it aside, awaiting the right moment. I just finished reviewing a bottle of Brooklyn Brown Ale, so this must be the right time. No time like the present, right? The label seems to indicate that in New Hampshire, Mud Season involves vintage muscle cars, but for us, it is the Amish and Mennonites going to Mud Sales (auctions). Come for a visit!

My pour quickly resulted in just under two fingers of dense, light-brown head with decent retention. Nice, sticky lacing appeared fairly quickly as it fell. Color was a deep-brown with cola highlights (SRM = > 22, < 27) and NE-quality clarity. Nose had a prevalent malt sweetness, despite the label calling it a "hoppy brown ale". I got notes of milk chocolate, light smoke, and some mild grassiness. Mouthfeel was rather full and creamy. The taste was much more bitter than the nose had led me to expect. It had an over-kilned roastiness to it that seemed to bring its bitterness to the forefront. I do not know how I feel about this as I like my coffee hot, black and bitter, like some of my women. In my beer, though, I feel like there is such a thing as too much bitterness and this was pressing that limit. Finish continued to have an unbalanced, burnt, bitterness that was just more than I could get behind. Frankly, it reminded me a LOT of Black/Cascadian IPA and I do not like them for the same, burnt, smoky reason. Hmm. What shall I review next? ...

woodychandler, Jul 01, 2014

kybeerdrinker, Jun 30, 2014

morrowd3, Jun 27, 2014

megamass, Jun 26, 2014

niklas0770, Jun 22, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured aggressively into a 4 oz sample pilsner shaped glass. Rewarded with 6 seconds of cascading followed by a nice finger of light tan head. Not much of a nose on this one. Tasted of a nice round brown with chocolate and malt, followed by an immediate and intervening bitterness that drove away the roundness without adding much in the way of hop flavor. The alcohol taste wasn't really noticeable to me. Left on the tongue was an interesting sensation of being in two places at the same time.

When I reach the the bottom of the bottle, the word is chunky. Lots of goodies floating around in there, but it didn't change the flavor as far as I could tell.

Not a session beer. I give it a 3.75 on taste, not because it fit the style so much, but because it is interesting, and I appreciate that. This one is good to enjoy just one of, then switch to something different, perhaps friendlier. This case will last a while, but at over 8% and with the hop flavor such as it is, that'll probably be okay.

Sipchue, Jun 22, 2014

millerm25, Jun 22, 2014

Billybrewboy, Jun 18, 2014

Enriquehopnog, Jun 18, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Dark brown with a new motor oil colored brown gold highlights. Beige head.

Smells woody and nutty. Not a lot of hops in the nose, some leafy orange if I look for it. Smells like a fine brown though.

Nutty chocolate up front. Huge, lasting menthol then woody bitter in back which I don’t like. Orange IPA hops in the middle. This is a mess, if Smuttynose intended to make a muddy beer than they succeeded. I usually love everything Smuttynose. Perhaps this is the start of Not Mott?

More like an Arrogant Bastard type ASA than a typical American brown or even a brown IPA. Not what I had in mind when I was shopping for a sessionable sunny Saturday grilling' & chillin' beer. Wish they had put the abc on the packaging somewhere (I don't see it on either the bottles or packaging, sorry if I missed it). I ended up dumping these in the communal cooler for more sturdier drinkers than myself.

donkeyrunner, Jun 15, 2014

meltroha, Jun 03, 2014

NJBeer265, Jun 02, 2014

Fish113d, May 31, 2014
4.31/5  rDev +9.1%

Good head poured aggressively out of the bottle. Plenty of tight foamy lacing. Lots and lots of suspended solids and color is a murky reddish brown .

Smells roasty like a porter or imperial stout with maybe a hint of florals and a tiny bit of fruitiness. Some caramel and toffee. Chocolate notes for sure but overall very balanced.

Taste is sort of a boozy, stronger flavored black and tan. Alcohol is very noticeable and up front. The "hoppy" is more dominant than the "brown," and the flavor really doesn't seem all that similar to other brown ales. Much closer to imperial stout. Heavy dose of hops bitterness, florals, and fruit as well. Really complex flavor but still balanced. As the strong alcohol flavor fades, the hops come in and linger for a long and complex finish. There's just a lot to take in here, which was a pleasant surprise.

For the amount of booziness and cloudiness, it's very drinkable. When I see mud racing on the bottle I'm thinking I'll be throwing back a six pack redneck style, but this is really better as a slow sipper.

Would drink again for sure, but don't expect a run of the mill simple basic brown ale.

russwaddell, May 26, 2014