Smuttynose Noonan Black IPA - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Noonan Black IPASmuttynose Noonan Black IPA

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

American Black Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerNinja007 on 02-27-2013)
3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

A-Black in the glass, one finger light brown head that leaves some lacing.

S-Roasted malt, nice earthy notes, slight citrus and mild coffee.

T-Rather malty, too much, but as it warms more coffee comes through along with dirt, pine and grass.

M-Light to medium bodied, not as creamy as I was expecting.

O-Although still within the best by date it was too malty, maybe fresh the beer would better. Then again it could just be too malty.

3.26/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Once upon a time, I was taken to task by another user on this site for name-dropping. Tough bananas, pal, since people now name-drop ME! My point being that I was very fortunate to meet Greg Noonan following the Vermont Brewers' Festival in 2004 and so I raise my glass as a toast to him. It is my hope that he will save me a seat at the bar alongside of him.

Unquestionably, this is one of my least favorite beers styles, and do not expect any quarter just because a beer luminary's visage and name grace the label. I just want to be up front about this.

My pour went off without a hitch and the resulting pseudo-cascade was a pleasure to watch. It settled into a finger of dense, light-tan/mocha-colored head with great retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44) and I have to ask if anyone really registers any beer as "black". Although it was dense enough to prevent any light penetration in the glass, I could see what it looked like during the pour. Nose had the dark, deep-roasted, burnt/smoky scent that I dislike in this style. I got a faint grassy mintiness from the hops, but the malts were getting in the way. Bah! Let nothing stand between a hophead and tasting his/her hops. Mouthfeel was dense, thick, especially for an IPA of any stripe. Nice. The taste, however, was a different story, or better put, it was more of the same. Man, I just cannot get past the roasty malt characteristic that defines this style. I kept tasting charcoal and not in what I would define as a pleasant way. Finish was dry, smoky, almost stout-like, but where were the hops? I weep for the hops that go into these recipes as they have given their all for naught. Nice lacing, by the way. Next!

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Bottleneck says Best By 08/06/14.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 3/4 inch dark tan head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a solid ring behind. There are also little clumps of sediment resting at the bottom of the glass.

S- Roasty upfront with tones of chocolate, vanilla and coffee. Mild hops round things out nicely.

T- Yeah, I feel like the hops have faded quite a bit since this is basically tasting like a slightly hopped up heavy porter. Still very good with some nice dark roast plus some more chocolate and coffee but the bitterness is only really in the aftertaste and there's little hop flavor otherwise. Alcohol is decently well hidden.

M- Quite viscous with medium carbonation and a full body.

O- Pretty good, just wish I had gotten to it when it was fresher. Even so, I feel like even at its freshest, it still wouldn't be a match for Durty.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't think Smutty makes a bad beer. I've been brewing for over 15 years and I struggle to produce a beer like this. Nice hop character, great lasting dark (cholocate?) malt flavor. This is top notch stuff...and at 5.7 ABV you can have a couple and enjoy them without walking head first into the TV getting up to take a leak at halftime/end of quarter/end of peroid. If you like flavor and well crafted beer grab some of this and enjoy!

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass
no bottling dates

A: Pours an opaque black with lots of light brown sedimentation suspended in the glass. 2.5 fingers width of light tan head has good retention before dissipating down to thick film that hands around for the remainder of the drink and leaves tons of lacing.

S: Citrus rind and resinous pine. Roasted malts and cream. This one is heavier on the hop notes than some of the style, which IMO is how the style meant to be.

T: Follows the nose. Hops are the most prominent component with piney bitterness and bitter citrus rind. Roasted flavors and cream are present but subtle.

M/D: Full bodied, appropriate carbonation, a bit drying on the finish, drinkability is average.

O: When this style first began hitting the shelves I loved it, but as more and more examples of the style came out I found myself shying away from them because they usually were underwhelming. This one is an exception. The big hop characters with only subtle "dark" flavors is IMO how the style should be done.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this brewer, and I find this beer is under-rated on BA compared to my 4.0 experience of it.

A: Starts out with a perfect black pour with an ample, lasting tan head that loads the glass with persistent lacing
S: Balanced hop aroma, more malt than hops. Cocoa, coffee, grass, and roast aromas. Outdoorsy.

T: Rich, velvety malt is layered with grassy hops, bitters, coffee, cocoa and pine. Very complex, rich, layered, inviting, definitely a meditation beer. Tingly bitter, nice feeling. Very dry and long finish. Great.

MF: Chaulky and creamy at once, drying, long finish leaves you almost puckered.

The best black IPA I have every enjoyed. Must try esp if you like em dry.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%