Smuttynose Rhye IPA (Big Beer Series) - Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Rhye IPA (Big Beer Series)Smuttynose Rhye IPA (Big Beer Series)

Smuttynose Brewing Company visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Rye Beer |  6.80% ABV

Originally released as part of our Short Batch Series, our Rhye IPA arose from our desire to play with rye malt. It's built on a Finestkind IPA chassis, with the following changes:

• We tweaked the grain bill adding 30% rye malt and swapped Aromatic malt for C-60. Rye adds a spicy note while Aromatic malt adds a more subtle flavor than C-60 but increases malt aroma.

• We lowered the mash rest temperature a few degrees, giving the final beer less body and more drinkability.

• We jacked up the dry hopping to four times the level of Finest Kind for big hop aroma.

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 08-31-2013)

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

Picked up this 22 oz. bottle across the river in WI, always pleased to see a new Smutty beer show up. And a rye? Feed me, feed me. Split with my wife.

The beer pours like an IPA, polished wood orange. Big honker on this beast, spicy & earthy rye lipped liberally with a nice hop jolt. Touch of orange spritzer, too. Like.

Rhye IPA is the equivalent of ryemaggedon. Spiciness lifts out of the glass in tornadic clouds, whipping the top of the mouth & numbing the taste buds. Tropical, Sunkist, bright hops lend a whup & now everything from the neck up, I can no feel. Bitterness comes through in the end to wipe out any sensation that escaped the first two courses. My burps taste divine. I could drink this out of a goldfish bowl.

Attention brewers: this is how you marry rye with hops. They're beautifully balanced, aggressive, tasty as all hell. An excellent work of art.

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Simply says bottle conditioned in 2013.

A: Unfiltered! Huge points already. Beautiful deep golden orange with a frothy, pillowy, bright white head. Lots of lace and decent retention.

S: Very fragrant. Lots of fruit, cedar, grass. Earthy. A bit of spice from the rye is there.

T: Similar to the nose. Big hop profile but the rye really does complement it well. Malty enough to say this is balanced. Hoppy enough to say it's an IPA. And enough rye to satisfy.

M: Incredibly smooth. Seriously. Wow. Creamy, light body that makes it massively drinkable as Smutty intended. The hop resin and rye spice come together in the finish to make this a memorable beer.

O: Everything I expect from the style and from Smutty. Absolutely delicious and a pleasure to drink.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Light copper orange in color with a heavy chill haze. Poured with a solid, billowy white foam that reduced to a wispy cap that left sheets of sticky lacings on the glass. Fresh citrus grapefruit and spicy rye aromas, fresh pine in the background and a pleasant sweet maltiness beneath. Medium bodied with aggressive, but soft carbonation, and a tangy feel from the middle to the end. Citrus hoppiness up front followed by spicy rye malt through the middle that transitions to light pine hop bitterness to the finish. Citrus hop flavors up front that are quickly subdues by spicy rye maltiness. Rye flavors are strong through the middle until light pine hop bitterness takes a bite at the finish. This is one of the better rye beers that I’ve had. The rye malt aromas and flavors are the spotlight, never outdone by accompanying malt and hop characteristics.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pale golden color with a huge head into my glass. What can I say? I don't cut my foam with salt, unlike the Carling Black Label drinkers I grew up next to.

Bold and spicy with a balanced pine wallop. Wow. I'm big on rye and this beer is fucking huge on the rye!

Forget about the hops for a second. Rye malt dominates the palate here with hops playing second fiddle. I'm not complaining. Rye adds a spiciness that you just can't get in a beer unless you use spicy hops or yeast.

Ditto for the mouthfeel. Spicy all the way. Clean finish. Alcohol? Barely even there, though I wouldn't call it "big" by any chance.

Don't get me wrong. This beer is bold and a worthy purchase if you love rye beers. I could see myself drinking it more often.

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Pours a cloudy orange color. Big, fluffy white head. Great retention. Lacing is nice as well.

S-Great hop profile. Really stresses pineapple and grapefruit. Rye is not overly intense but it does lend that signature spicy zest. Grassy and piney too.

T-I really enjoy this beer's hoppy flavors. Hops are very ripe and juicy. Definitely getting some pineapple and melony flavors. Peaches too. Big, bready, sweet malty flavors. Then I find the rye to be more noticeable here.

M-Creamy and not as bitter as you'd expect. Especially with this having some relation to the Finest Kind recipe.

O/D-A great beer. I really enjoyed the hop bouquet here. Pretty complex in my view. Love the label too.

Smuttynose Rhye IPA (Big Beer Series) from Smuttynose Brewing Company