Red Rock Opie Red Ale - Red Rock Brewing Company

pDev: 0%
Red Rock Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: redearth329 on 02-26-2014)
redearth329

3.84/5  rDev 0%

I'm sitting in the red rock brew pub in Salt Lake City. The bartender just set this down next to me and it smells like he just cut a bushel of grapefruits open under my nose. I'm serious: this beer is two feet away from me and I think I stuck my head inside a grapefruit. This beer is all about the smell.

A- nice amber color, a bit cloudy. There wasn't much head on the pour and there's even less now.

S- see my intro above. All I smell is grapefruit. A bit of malt sweetness comes through eventually, but you've really got to get adapted to the hop aromas before you can even pick up a hint of that.

T- the hop character promised by the nose come through. Not too bitter, though. The malts balance it out fairly well. This is definitely one for the hop heads, though. (Full disclosure: I'm from the east coast). There's also some really nice mellow herbal notes that I'm getting now that I've had time to adjust to the citrus. The taste profile goes: grapefruit, herbal (like maybe green tea?), malt sweetness, in that order, then finishes with hop bitterness.

O- I picked this to pair with a flat iron steak with Gorgonzola butter... I think it will do the job nicely of contrasting with the fat of the dish while simultaneously complementing the tanginess of the Gorgonzola.

02-26-2014 23:53:40 | More by redearth329
Red Rock Opie Red Ale from Red Rock Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.