Kenmount Road Chocolate Stout - Amber's Brewing Co.

Kenmount Road Chocolate StoutKenmount Road Chocolate Stout

good

Amber's Brewing Co. visit their website
Alberta, Canada

American Stout |  5.60% ABV

Light but lush and rich with overtones of coffee and chocolate. You can enjoy it with Alberta beef and technically happy hour starts half an hour earlier in Newfoundland.

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 12-04-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Garin:
1.48/5  rDev -57.8%

Well, it sure is black, yessiree. It has zero head. There are a few fizzy bubbles around the edges, and they're pretty dark. No shock there, as this beer really is black.

Sour! Ok this beer is lemony tart. I'm expecting a touch of acidity from the black malts, but this is really sour. I can feel it in my cheeks. It has a bit of a cherry flavour as well. One thing that is for sure, I detect zero chocolatiness. I think this is infected. It doesn't have any off aromas specifically, but it definitely has the acidity for it.

Undrinkable, I'm pouring it out.

What's with the local microbrew quality control these days? Sheesh.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

341ml bottle. I only now recall trying this back at this year's Rocky Mountain Food and Wine show...now, my girl has drank the first half of the sixer, saying that it is absolutely stellar, especially with peanuts. Hmmm. I took a bottle with me on my visit to the folks for the X-mas celebrations.

After letting this sit out of the fridge for about 15 minutes or so, this beer pours a Darth Vader, black hole, light-sucking opaque black, with two fingers of puffy, loosely foamy tan head, which takes a respectable number of moments to melt away, leaving some scattered streaky lacing all around the glass.

It smells of bittersweet chocolate, roasted bready caramel malt, a touch of bitter coffee, and a hint of dark fruit. The taste starts off strangely with muted citrus and leafy hops, which are immediately overcome by the semi-sweet chocolate, grainy and still somewhat toasted malt, reduced brown sugar, and ethereal Italian coffee. Yum to the E!

The carbonation is on the low side, just a mild frothiness on patrol, the body an adequate medium-weight, and mostly smooth, a bit of the roast mucking around too much here. It finishes off-dry, but not as sweet as one might imagine - the chocolate persists, sure, but in a dry, chalky sort of manner, though it's still quite easy to put back.

A great accompaniment to dessert after Christmas dinner. (I didn't get to try it with peanuts - sorry, babe!) And my Mom liked it so much, she went on about how it compares favorably to the old Lethbridge Stout she used to enjoy on occasion, and asked me to bring some of this the next time that I visit. Yep, mea culpa - I was beeradvocating with my Mom, and proud of it!

4.18/5  rDev +19.1%

Really enjoyed a sample of this at a beer fest a while back, and I finally found a 6er.
A - poured an essentially solid brown-black, a small mocha coloured head didn't last long
S - the chocolate is there but smoothly subtle, there are biscuity roasty malts, and even a little banana, very interesting
T - starts with a roasted coffee, then the carbonation clears that out to leave the smooth chocolate and bready flavours, and there is just a little tartness
M - it is chewy but still a little thinner than many stouts, there is a bubbly tart feel that eventually left my mouth feeling nicely coated
D - well it is a stout, but relatively thin for style which enhances the drinkability, and the flavours are generally subtle but they work nicely together, could definitely enjoy a few bottles

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

This was going to be my "three strikes you're out" beer for Amber's (after just-alright Bub's and their frankly appalling Pale Ale). But though they might not have quite knocked it out of the park with this one, they've hit at least a double. Nothing to sneeze at, on Alberta's stout-starved brewing scene.

Pours a very deep brown, almost black, totally opaque, with a beautifully coloured chocolate head that leaves some (not enough) lacing and which disappears too quickly. Nose is mild. Taste is all there, with a big round brown sweet malty O through the middle of it, just like it should be, and the right amount of dark chocolate. A funny little dry "ping" at the end and a vague hint of a sour fruit aftertaste, something like the faintest echo of Trois Pistoles' cherry flavour, at the very end. Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style but not badly so; would have preferred more creaminess. However, this is a very "more-ish" beer. I've been blasting through my first glass and will probably head right back for a second.

2.83/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours quite dark, in the glass it appears near black. A firm pour generated a thin beige head that left behind only a slim ring after fading fast.

Dark malts , creamy coffee and toast hit the nose. I can't find much chocolate in the aroma until this one warms, then the impression of dark chocolate pops up.

Flavour is more of a dry stout profile, chocolate doesn't start showing until the stout is about cellar temperature. Dry, roasted malt type flavour, leaning more to the bitter and astringent end of the spectrum. Finish is a little unpleasant, almost medicinal.

A bit of fullness to the mouthfeel is nice, but the carbonation is a tad prickly.

I had one bottle of this that I thought was fantastic, the remaining bottles have been big disapointments.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

A beer that tastes delicious, but whether there's chocolate in it, who is to say. Regardless it has a nice solid flavour with minimal aftertate. What could be made better, is the comments on this site, since I always have to go over 200 words when I don't necessarily feel like it.

Terrible. Sour. Un-drinkable. Obviously a bad batch. I've emailed to inform them that my six pack is off. No response. Unimpressed. I won't buy from this brewery again.

3.73/5  rDev +6.3%

Not sure how widely available this stuff is, I picked it up at the Sherbrooke Liquor Store in one of the store's boxes, so it may be a joint venture between the two for now.

It pours out a deep opaque light-blocking pitch black. Head is a creamy tan, but is small and settles quickly.

Aroma delivers roasted malt, coffee notes and some rich dry cocoa.

Flavour starts out a bit weak at first, but builds up quickly after that, with a big burst on the finish. Lots of dryness in this stout, the roasted malt, the cocoa, even the coffee notes, plus a wafer-ish tone to it. Dry cocoa wafer aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is on the fuller side, decent carbonation, yet could stand to be a bit more rounded, although that's my personal preferance.

We need more local stouts and this is a good 'un, hope to see it around more. Definitely a dark chocolate character to it than a milk chocolate one.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

I guess I am the odd man out here and this probably won't help my beer karma. But first of all karma is being to true to one myself, namaste.

This little Alberta brewery is trying hard to differentiate itself from the others and kudos to that,but what is in front of me as I rate is is a mushroom blood and tin combo that is only getting slightly better as this goes on.

The good news is I will finish this beer the sad news is I would not buy it again, but then again I didn't buy this one. It was left at my house so thank you Presario or Cal I am not sure. God bless Amber's for trying look forward to future creations.

It grew on me a bit at the end and I raised the marks.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

The newest offering from Amber's, happy to see more local specialty brews appearing on the store shelves.
Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a foamy chocolate-milk colored head. Nice head retention and lace covering the sides of the glass. Smell is light, but still gives all the chocolate, cocoa, chocolate aromas expected from a stout. Lots of sweet malt flavor. Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and other dark fruits. Mouthfeel is appropriate, smooth and creamy. Very impressed by this one, can't wait to try another. I am thinking about trying the beer donut recipe in the last BA Mag using this.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Looks like a cola but with no light shining through. One finger head that slowly dissipates to a ring. Head was a dark creamy brown similar looking to foamy chocolate mousse.

S: Chocolate is easily the first thing you smell. Next is a roasted, hoppy smell.

T: Slightly sweet dark chocolate taste with almost no bitterness at all.

M: thicker, medium to full bodied beer.

Serving Type: Bottle

1.5/5  rDev -57.3%

Originally I wasn't going to post my rating on this particular experience, as I'm certain that it was simply a bad batch. However, given that there are a few others that too have experienced this bad batch, I thought it necessary to highlight the potential for poor quality control. I will promise to re-rate this one again to ensure that it was indeed a bad bottle.

A - Pours an opaque black colour, thin finger of head with decent retention and no real lacing.

S - Sour yogurt, lemon chocolate and finishes with some mild espresso and citrus. Seems a little off based on the scent alone, but we'll test it out regardless.

T - Sour yogurt comes through with bitter lemon and some foul coffee beans. As per my suspicion, I am convinced this batch is off. I've had this before at a beer tasting event and recall it as being sweet and chocolatey, not sour and bitter.

M - Nothing offensive here, but nothing to brag about. It is a tad thin for a stout.

D - As previously mentioned, I've have this at a tasting event and recall it being quite nice I am convinced this bottle was off. Ultimately I gave in and had to pour this one down the drain. Quite disappointed, but I do intend to try it again sometime in the future to confirm my suspicions of poor quality control.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance- Very dark black with a thin head. Pitch black (no light coming through it).

Smell- Chocolate aroma really came through, with a bit of a roasty smell. Slight hint of caramel.

Taste- Excellent balance of stout and chocolate flavours. Not much bitterness, slightly sweet. Very warm flavours come through on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-heavy bodied stout. Smooth, easy drinkability.

Overall- This was a nice stout from Amber's. Flavours are well balanced and not overpowered by the chocolate taste. Nice flavoured stout to warm you up. I would buy this one again.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours an opaque black with a very small tan head.

Smells mostly of acrid black roasted malt, with some roast barley and dark fruits.

Taste is beautiful. Lots and lots of black patent malt. There's a bit of dark fruit and plenty of coffee and dark chocolate notes. Definitely more of a black *malt* flavour than a black roasted (unmalted) barley flavour that's more usual in stout. I like it.
Hop bitterness is nicely balanced, letting the roast character carry the majority of the flavour of the beer. The 'chocolate' in the name is really more of a subtle background impression than a dominating flavour. Good, I was afraid this would be one of those overpowering 'flavoured' beers that are just too one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is medium. Not light by any stretch, but not at all heavy or cloying. Some prickly carbonation, but only just enough - a refreshing change to all those many over-carbed craft brews out there.

Drinkability is good. It finishes clean, yet it's still satisfying. I could have a few of these...

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass feb8 2010

A dark cola with a short lived film of mocha head that leaves no lace

S milk chocolate a little dark fruit and some toffee, pretty decent in this department

T not far from the smell but with some faint coffee and molasses

M rather thin for the color and could use some more bubbles

D tastes good, smells good but lacking in feel and looks average but still went down pretty smooth and that counts for something

decent beer and I would like to see it on some local taps in place of the macros perhaps the keg would give it some life

4.55/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Kenmount Road Chocolate stout pours a black color with very little head. There is a dark rich smokey roasted coffee aroma. The taste had notes of chocolate and coffee, and a nice smokey flavor, but finishes bitter, with a real stout flavor. Very nice flavor, full and good to drink. Overall I found this a great chocolate stout.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

3.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pours an insanely deep and light absorbing black shade of black with a light brown frothy head. It certainly looks the part. Minimal lacing and moderate head retention.

Smells metallic and roasty, smoky with a hint of espresso and dried fruit. No chocolate to speak of.

The taste is nice, but right away and to the finish much more of a sweet stout than a chocolate stout or any other kind of stout for that matter. I'm not getting much chocolate at all. But ignoring that there is a wonderful sweetness to the malt that is beautifully balanced against a mild bitterness.The roast and smoke of the nose are definitely also in the taste. The aftertaste is dried fruits and sweet yellow raisins. As it warms there's more of an estery pear flavor and a hint of the medicinal.

Mouthfeel is very thin for a stout, watery almost, but pleasant enough. Not a lot of carbonation.

Oh yeah, I reckon I could down a fair few of these easily and enjoyable. It's a very nice and drinkable if completely missing the mark as a chocolate stout.

Thanks so stagger for sending it.

3.64/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint on tap at Beer Revolution in Calgary. An opaque cola brown with a middling amount of tan sudsy head. Aroma is coffee, milk chocolate, and unexpectedly strong smoke, with a hint of toffee sweetness. I get considerable chocolate pudding on the palate but a hefty dose of burnt coffee bean and singed grain as well. I am struggling to discern whether this is truly sweet or not. Rather dichotomous in personality. A dash of citrus hops. No idea what the Newfoundland reference here is a-boot, byeeee ... Anyhow, this is a stout of moderate body, probably on the low end of moderate, with a semi-dry cacao and coffee finish. Me, I'd tone down the burnt elements and ratchet up the sweetness. Rather bitter. Not too shabby though.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Kenmount Road Chocolate Stout from Amber's Brewing Co.