Knot Stock - Furthermore Beer

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-26-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Knot Stock Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +37.4%

Pours a very cloudy amber color. The pour gave me 3 + fingers worth of head. The aroma is very sweet almost fruity. However, you can smell the black pepper. The taste is sweet, hint of grapefruit with the black pepper finishing everything off at the end. The mouthfeel is bitter but still hints of grapefruit. It starts off sweet but finishes bitter. I find that be delightful and really makes this one enjoyable. I think the black pepper really plays with the palate.

4.57/5  rDev +29.5%

Deep amber-mahogany body with a light haze and a thin but smooth beige ehad. Amazingly woody and complex nose - when I first drank this I had no idea it was brewed with pepper, so I erroneously placed the unusual melange of aromas as the product of wood-aging. (I guessed cedar or pine.) But this is very interesting indeed; peppery, but also full of cinnamon notes, with chickory, caramel, and honey underneath it all. Faintly sour with a well-developed, fruity flavor; lots of tart currant and red wine. It's also spicy with pepper and cinnamon, oaky cedar (if that makes sense), and zippy citric hops. Cola, cherries, and Canadian whisky also crop up. Sparkly and very dry, and medium bodied - a rather perfect texture for this very malty but very spicy beer. Complex, unique, refreshing. A winner.

4.44/5  rDev +25.8%

A - Reddish amber with a white head that retains well and laces

S - Not much here, just some hops and alcohol

T - Quite a strong malt presence with a delicious aftertaste of hops. There is a hint of black pepper on the finish.

M - Medium carbonation and medium-light in body

D - This beer is fricken delicious! I never would have thought of this combination, but it is great. If I could get those locally, this would be my new favorite go to.

4.42/5  rDev +25.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
No date or info available on the bottle.

I've sampled this brew at a few fests but I didn't really know or appreciate it until the Furthermore event at Ray's the other night. I had to snag some more of this!

A - Hazy golden orange in color and topped by an off-white head that's well-retained and features sheets of lace clinging to the glass, it looks like a ditry apricot topped with whipped cream.

S - Low notes of sweet caramel malt instantly provide a good base for balancing earthy and very light citrus hops. They aren't there to balance the malt though...they balance the huge freshly crushed black pepper aroma!

T - Black pepper ahoy! Loads of the freshly cracked good stuff washes over the tongue nicely and is balanced by a base of pale ale; earthy, light citrus hops and caramel malt. It's all about the black pepper and I love it!

M - Spicy, obviously, and medium-bodied, the pepper is very well balanced by the bitter hop profile that comes in through the finish.

O - Awesome ingenuity, Knot Stock is one of my new favorite beers. While it's not for everyone, it's certainly unique and very well crafted. I love the abundance of black pepper because while it's strong, it never gets cloying.

4.37/5  rDev +23.8%

A nice orange brown hazy look with a small off white head. Much darker than your average APA.

The spiciness of the hops is accentuated by the black pepper addition, very unusual, intriguing, and makes it go well with food (I am a pepper lover).

The flavor has the hops and spice up front, with a solid malt backbone that I favor for this style. I'm not a hop head but this has enough to satisfy the ones who look for it, the pepper blast is great.

Carbonation and medium body weight are perfect for the style.

Because of the unusual addition of pepper, it is not a session beer like others of this style, drinkable but spiciness makes it a one off, although you could mistake it for the hops. Love this one from a good brewer.

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

I got this from my favourite local beer store, the Four Firkins.

I like the idea of black pepper in an ale, but now I want one with Szchuan peppers.

Pours a nice dark chestnut brown with a good whiff of peppery foam. Soft & creamy looking. This promises alot.

Tasting alot of malt with what I like black pepper. Some firm bitterness from some hops and plenty of wight. Not overpoweringly spiced. I'd really like to see a fresh bottle paired up with some med-rare steak & mashed potatoes.

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

On tap at Acadia Cafe. The bartender, James, pointed it out to me...a totally new brewery and one I had NEVER heard of...most unusual for me!

A-Copper with a medium light tan head that left a heavy coating of foam and nice lacing.

S-Very nice hop aroma, peppery (didnt know there wa cracked pepper in it until afterwards) even a hint of clove? Very interesting.

T-WOW! What a great flavour explosion of spicy hops held up by a generous malt bill. I am told, that it is made with cracked pepper...which I later find to be true. This is a nice experiment on how to combine hops with something that will support them.

M-Medium bodied with an insane crispness, really nice.

D-This is great stuff by this newcomer to me. I am glad to have had the opportunity to have this on tap and not from a bottle...I think I got a lot more out if it!

4.32/5  rDev +22.4%

12 oz bottle poured nto a pint glass.

Medium amber, clear, with a large fizzy, frothy head that laves very nice lacing.

The intesne aroma of fresh;y cracked black pepper leaps out of the glass, which is, of course, extremely unusual. It's a great smell, remarkably fresh. Underneath is a nice floral hoppiness. Drinking the beer, the pepper flavor is subtle at first, the major impression isa nicly balanced hoppy ale with a clean bitter finish. But the pepper effect accumulates in its spiciness, smokiness, and eventually almost tongue-numbing pepperiness. This is an interesting and unusual beer, also a study in a new way to experience the many effects that black papper has on the palate--a celebration in beer of one of the world's great spices. As a beer, it is nicely done, interesting and pretty drinkable, although I am not sure about drinking more than one at a time. But this brew deserves some recognition for showcasing black pepper in a unique format.

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

I poured this form a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a deep gold leaning toward amber with a snow white 3/4" head. The head quickly dropped to a thin cap but left lots of web lace down my glass.

S= Just after pouring the head was an aromatic explosion of black pepper notes. Once the initial fizz was over with, things calmed down and I got some bready malt, caramel, and citrusy hop notes.

T= Starts off like a traditional pale ale with malt and a hint of caramel leading the way. Hops are modestly bitter and have a nice citrus flavor. The pepper comes in about halfway and never retreats. Finished medium dry and peppery.

MF= Medium bodied with a nicely crisp carbonation and mouthfeel.

D= This is a wonderfully interesting brew. It is quite tasty and the black pepper asserts itself without ever completely taking over. I can't say I would want 4 of these in a sitting, but every time I drink one I am still thinking about it hours later.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

Deep caramel amber hue almost a crimson color with a light tan head forms nice thick head, with scant speckled lacing. Aroma has citric layers/mild pine with a noticeable pepper as in black pepper kick. Somewhat mild breadiness hints of caramel malt as well to balance things out. By far my favorite offering from the Furthermore gang so far, this beer uses the peppecorns assertively but it intermingles with this style of APA extremely well. Gives somewhat of a cookie cutter style beer some real character. Caramel toasted malt presence, citri/pine and finishes with a nice black pepper kick that livens up the palate and sticks around with each sip. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, carbonation was mellow but fit for the style. That lingering spice of the peppercorn may offend some but it works for me in this particular beer. Drinkability was solid sessionable with moderat alcohol, and mucho flavor I will keep trying whatever Furthermore churns out.;

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

a: The beer is a deep, slightly cloudy amber in color. The pour into my DFH glass gives a pretty little head that remains for quite awhile.

s: Interesting pepper presence with a sturdy malt backbone. The pepper could have gone either way, but it's really well blended here. Sweet and spicy tropical fruit notes. Plenty of sweet malt and hops allowed through, as the pepper kinda takes the backseat.

m: carbonation just over medium, and a body about the same

t: A lot going on here...I like it very much. Sweet and spicy pepper lies underneath layers of caramel malt. Gentle hop flavor does its thing without masking the delicate pepper. Light bitterness, nice finish. Spice lingers in the mouth, throat, and gut for a looong time...mmm. Could quite easily be a 4.5.

d: easy, a tasty unique beer, the peppery finish keeps me eager for the next sip

single bottle brought back from Wisco

4.24/5  rDev +20.1%

Nice orance pour with a good white head that goes away, and laces a little in the glass, it gets better from here.
Aroma is a slight floral lemony hop, and spices, hard to pick out on the nose, but a tinge of sweetness, this is interesting.
Taste, oh wow, wasn't sure how the black pepper would come out, but this is good, almost a creamy pepper flavor, with some nice lemony hops, and not too sweet on the malts.
Nice carbonation level, just right mouthfeel for the style. this is actually a very good Pale Ale that actually has a different flavor to it.

4.23/5  rDev +19.8%

A - Pours a dark amber hue with a nice inch of fluffy head.

S - Smells of freshly cracked pepper, caramel, and bread malt.

T - Flavors clash pretty well. First you get the spice of pepper but its quickly covered by a nice taste of sweet caramel that doesn't make the flavor too spiced and leaves you wanting more. Then finishes bitter with bready malt. Very complex and balanced.

M - Medium bodied and succession-able.

D - Well it seems that they can produce good beer and this was another reason to get the variety box. Smooth tasting and a nice ABV to succession. Very great beer guys!

4.2/5  rDev +19%

**After a few more samples, I keep enjoying this unique beer. Hopefully they brew some more in the future

Beer Made with fresh ground pepper, hmm...I love beer, I love fresh ground pepper

12oz single, Rileys I believe

appearance: pours into imperial pint glass...dark copper body, frothy white head with solid lacing

smell: wow...I had figured this beer for an absolute flop, but it doesnt smell so. nice bold aroma that combines a fresh APA hop style and a distinct ground pepper spice...these two aromas collide and the result is actually quite nice

taste: again, I like this. The pepper lingers hard in the aftertaste but the initial taste is a nice APA base with a strong pepper kick, moderately spicy going down. Hopping adds a very nice touch with noticeable citrus and pine. I initially thought this would be a disaster, but its extremely well done and I might even want to buy another bottle

mouthfeel: spicy pepper follow through, medium pale ale body that is quite nice

drinkability: hindered only by the spice

4.2/5  rDev +19%

I am grateful for my friend's dad who brought this and other beers back from a trip to Wisconsin and allowed me to dabble in his stash.

I poured this in a stemless pinot noir glass so I could really get my nose in the beer to notice the black peppercorns.

A - Dark amber color pours an average head that falls quickly

S - This is more than I expected, pretty peppery, yet yields a caramel nose

T - Wow, very interesting like it has a sporadic peppercorn flavor, with a balance and presence of bitter hops while the malt lingers. I am happy that the pepper is not up front. I am really dwelling in the spice here that hints to a tiny citrus.

M - A warm sensation of the pepper hides the alcohol with a stronger malt character

D - I am happy that the pepper is not up front, because I end up coming back for more. I think because the black peppercorns come in and out the Knot Stock's creative sensation leads to more drinkability.

I had this with smoked peppered lamb chops and stuffed crab avocados which I thought paired well. One of the most interesting Pale Ales let alone beers I have every had, and I am jonesing for more! Please pick this up if you see it!

4.2/5  rDev +19%

Appearance -- Soft orange color, with a large white head that fades quickly. Wet lacing.

Smell -- Piney & citrus hops with faint malty sweetness

Taste -- Hop bitterness upfront; middle provides just a touch of sweetness, followed by sharp peppercorn. I really enjoy the lingering peppercorn. Very unique!

Mouthfeel -- On the lighter side, but not too light. Feels just right for this style.

Drinkability -- I will be buying this beer again. I was a little leery at first, but this is a very nice offering. I really like the peppercorn. Recommended!

As an aside, I really think this one should be classified as an American Pale Ale and not an herbed/spiced beer.Yes, peppercorn was used in the brewing process, but this is clearly more of a pale ale than some kind of spiced beer.

4.2/5  rDev +19%

I tried this beer in a bottle a few years ago. The Trapp Door has it on tap right now and I'm revisiting this interesting brew. This beer pours out as a deep amber color, the head is a little fizzy but does manage to lace the glass pretty well. The smell if the beer has a slight aroma of black pepper and lemon zest. The taste of the beer isn't as peppery as I remembered it being from the bottle. However, the taste of the beer still has a really subtle pepper flavor which I enjoy a lot. The aftertaste has a little bit of heat to it, very nicely done. The mouthfeel is drinkable, nicely carbonated and smooth. Overall I like it, I wish there were more beers made like this one. I like it!

4.18/5  rDev +18.4%

Knot Stock pours a mildly clear copper with a small but frothy head. When you take a deep whiff of this beer you almost think you might sneeze. The pepper is light and mixes well with sweet malts. You'd think that the pepper is going to hit you hard here up front but first you are greeted with a sweet almost candy like taste. This is when the pepper comes in and masks all the signs of the sweetness to give you a nice dry, spicy flavor… exactly what you'd find from well, pepper. It takes a few moments for the pepper to disappear from your mouth but in the end you're left thirsty again. The pepper dries out your mouth and the hop bite leaves you looking for another sip.

I love drinking this beer and I think it's a perfect beer to pair with dinner.

4.18/5  rDev +18.4%

At first it sounded awful. But then I got to thinking: I love the white pepper nodes of some weizens, and meaty smoked beers are great, and well-done chile beers are wonderful--so why not this? Just cus it's got hops in it, they're not allowed to add pepper? I can't be that narrowminded.

And thank goodness I'm not, because this tastes great. It pours like a standard APA, but the pepperiness is very apparent in the aroma. Maybe a little too apparent, actually, because it overshadows everything else.

The beer really comes together flavorwise, though. Starts out with lightly spicy, lightly tart black pepper, moving into a pale malt middle and ending on longer, lingering nodes that are a combination of citrus hops and black pepper spice.

Odd, but I've never really noticed how close the spiceness of pepper resembles a tartness. Is there, like, some kind of flavor continuum that explains this? At any rate, it's rare that a beer causes me to experience a flavor realization, and that can't help but score that beer a few extra points on the ol' BA.

4.17/5  rDev +18.1%

12 oz. bottle.

Clearish ruddy copper body. Small, very light beige head. Scattered lacing and not much head retention. Leafy, citrus hops blend with distinct black pepper and light cookie dough on the nose. Interesting...and enticing.

Minty hop bitterness and toasted grain up front. Black pepper makes itself known with a spicy, assertive zestinesss. Grapefruit hop flavor and bitterness blend in seamlessly. Light sweetness from cookie dough malt comes through a little bit. Finishes with good balance between hops, pepper, and malts. I really like this beer! Moderate body with gentle, even carbonation. Pretty drinkable for a pepper beer.

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

A- Pours a nice sticky 1.5 finger head that leaves some nice lacing. The body is dark amber and has some nice sediment.

S- Very nice American hop presence, crushed black pepper, grapefruit, slight pineapple.

T- Starts off the bat with a solid pepper and malt backbone, slight grapefruit, then moves into a fresh crushed black pepper finish. Nice spice.

M- Medium carbonation works well, especially with the spicy black pepper finish.

D- I couldn't see having this again without food. With food, however, I could see this being great. Ham, Mexican.. anything with heat, I could see this pairing up well with.

4.11/5  rDev +16.4%

With the discovery of Furthermore's Three Feet Deep beer, I have high hopes for this beer. We will see if it lets me down or makes me a believer in this brewery.

Here goes.

A - Very nice. Pours a cloudy dark burnt Orange color. Stays cloudy even after allowed to sit for several minutes. The 1/4 head also stays around long after the beer has entered the glass.

S - The bottle says this beer has been brewed with Cracked Black Pepper. However, this ingredient is not present in the beers aroma. Can't smell even a trace of pepper. Sure hope that it is in there. This is one reason that I purchased this beer. Smells just like your average run of the mill APA. Slight Malt. Some hops. Hey, I think I am about to drink a beer.

T - The moment of truth. Furthermore, don't disappoint me...here goes...Ahhh. I just found the black pepper. Very unique flavor. Hold it in the mouth and swish it around. Plays tricks on the mouth and the nose. Can really be noticed at the back of the mouth where the nose meets the throat. Not overpowering though. Very nice. I also taste grapefruit and citrus. Maybe some lemon and lime but overall, good grapefruit aftertaste. I really like this beer. Good job Furthermore. You guys have really come up with some unique flavors. I am glad that I found you.

M - Thin and very refreshing. After waiting several minutes between sips, the pepper has time to talk to the back of the tongue and let itself known. It's trying to say....please drink more sir.

D - Yes, this is a good beer and yes, I will search this one out again. Would go great with brats or Mexican food...which happens to be my favorite.

Nice end to a good day. Sitting back and relaxing with the family all in bed. Just me, my glass, my beer, and my BA.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a hazelnut brown body with a thin bubbly light tan head that fades to a ring pretty quickly. There is a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles that glide to the surface.

S- This beer has a soft caramel malt note with some green herbal hop notes that balance each other very well. They are not really strong smells but very fresh.

T- The soft smooth pale malt flavor has a slight toasted note with a slight light fruit hint. There is a dry crisp malt flavor that is very light toasted but better than biscuit malt. There is a green bitter hop finish that has a soft dry spicy quality to the hops. There is a soft black pepper spice that hangs on the tongue after each sip.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a soft spice heat in the finish.

D- The soft toasted malt notes and the pepper heat are a very nice combo with the hops playing in there also. This is a excellent crafted beer and will be great session beer. I think this would be even more wonderful from a cask. This really reminds me of the soft yet complex British ale fresh from the cask.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

A: Pours a orangish amber color with a small off white foam head and some moderate lacing.

S: There is a faint whiff of black pepper that hits the nose first off. There are also some nice amounts of caramel, bread and biscuit and a small amount of citrus hops.

T: Starts off with a nice freshly ground pepper taste. It is not real overpower but quite present. The middle brings the balance of caramel, bread and citrus hops. The back end finishes with the same balance in the middle, really blending nicely with the pepper.

M: Nicely carbonated brew, a nice medium body. Leaves a slightly peppery taste on the palate.

O: I really enjoy this brew, found it to be different and unique. The pepper flavor is certainly not overpowering. Not sure if I could drink more than a few in a sitting, but it is certainly a beer I would drink again.

M: Leave

4.07/5  rDev +15.3%

Well this was a very interesting brew from a brewery I would like to get to know a little better. Smell is good, some citrus up front, with a bit of sweet malt and ground black pepper. Taste is very similar, I think it is a bit better blended but not quite as much hops. Mouthfeel is nice, good amount of carbonation and medium body.
Drinkability is very good.

Knot Stock from Furthermore Beer