Knot Stock - Furthermore Beer

good

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-26-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Knot Stock Alström Bros
Trexter103

05-26-2014 02:05:44 | More by Trexter103
drabmuh

Maryland

1.35/5  rDev -61.4%

This beer was awful, the worst beer I've ever had and I've had some horrible beers.

Beer is amber and hazy with a thin white head, small bubbles, some lacing, moderate carbonation, decent retention.

Aroma is black peppercorns, salt.

Beer is way way way too peppery, lots of black pepper, lots of harsh saltiness, two sips, the rest down the drain, never again.

11-16-2011 05:26:37 | More by drabmuh
wyattshotmaker

1.9/5  rDev -45.7%

im just gonna say,pepper in beer is obviously not for me.this beer looked great,nice amber color with a fluffy white head.the smell of this beer just reminded me of ground pepper,something i like on food.just not something i like in beer.my sister poured me a small sample into a glass,and i had about two sips and gave her the rest.

i certainly enjoy extreme beers,but pepper in a beer is just not for me.it dominated the flavor in the beer.

09-08-2009 23:00:55 | More by wyattshotmaker
TicoCali

02-21-2012 02:30:02 | More by TicoCali
beachbum1975

2.05/5  rDev -41.4%

This was a bonus beer included on a trade a from few months back. Sorry, I forgot the trader, but thanks if you know who you are!!!

12 oz brown bottle poured into a traditional pint glass. Neat, retro packaging, like other Furthermore beers.

A: Appears a hazy, cloudy burnt orange to amber color with a very little, light tan head.

S: Smells of bread yeasts, light caramel and a very light spice of hop or possibly "PEPPER!"!

T: Very sweet with malty characteristics. Grassy, watered down and not well-balanced. Tastes stale at times, almost like wet cardboard.

M: Light to medium bodied with little carbonation.

D: This is an American Pale Ale? Not impressed, I guess it is possible I had an old bottle, so I won't kill on the drinkability points. The peppery mix of strangeness and bland bleakness threw me off to the point there was no turning back. I was forced to perform the dreaded "drain pour'.

09-10-2008 18:32:29 | More by beachbum1975
redjameskidd

2.2/5  rDev -37.1%

Boy am I regretting that I bought a full six-pack of this.

The pepper is seriously out of control--I can't believe more people didn't have that experience with this beer.

Appearance: Cloudy orange with lots of weird particulate floating around. Ugly.

Aroma: This beer literally smells like a pepper shaker with a few hop pellets inserted into it. It's actually kind of an interesting aroma. The problem is that you then have to taste it.

Taste: Pepper. A fairly bland APA that doesn't even make an attempt to compete with the waves and waves of pepper flavor. If you love black pepper, you really might like this. I happen to love black pepper--in food. Here, I just couldn't handle it.

Drinkability: Really low. I bought a six pack, have tried it a few times, and haven't ever wanted to finish one.

02-22-2011 04:43:59 | More by redjameskidd
ericjubeck

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

04-14-2012 00:42:24 | More by ericjubeck
Thorpe429

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

Bottle courtesy of BeerFMAndy. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Pours a hazy light copper color with a two-finger white head that sticks around for a bit and then leaves behind a good deal of lacing. The nose immediately hits with a strange spruce and pine-tree character. Following that up is loads of black pepper. Very strange. Aside from that, there's a bit of mildly-sweet caramel malt. The taste is along the same lines and really brings far too much spruce and pine needle character. Huge pepper presence; don't really like it. Very odd. No real hop presence. The finish is bitter and astringent, and not in a good way. Chewing on pine needles, but not the type of resinous pine you'd get from American hops. Not a big fan overall.

05-18-2011 01:36:23 | More by Thorpe429
maximum12

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

Had a taste of this at the recent Stub & Herb's sampling & liked it, so when a weekend pilgrimage to Blue Max found me staring at it through the glass doors, I had to have a full pour of this weird stuff.

The head started rising out of the bottle slowly after popping the top - like some of my homebrews! Pours a semi-opaque orange. I get some foam on my nose sniffing the pepper. Smells good. Do people really care if a beer smells like a frat-house floor but tastes like heaven? Just curious.

Tastes...odd. I can taste the pepper, but wouldn't have been able to identify it because of the interaction with the hops (no one at the sampling could tell what it was, either!). Initially my enthusiam is still there, but the further I get into the beer, the more my nose starts to wrinkle up. The sample was good; a whole beer of this stuff is too much.

The verdict: drink in small doses. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to finish this one.

03-03-2008 03:11:07 | More by maximum12
billab914

2.45/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Half Acre pint glass. Poured dark orange/copper in color with a thin and frothy off-white head to it. Decent head retention and some very nice lacing on the glass.

The pepper really comes through in the aroma. Some malt and citrus comes through as well, but the spicy pepper is what my attention is really drawn to.

The taste is also very pepper orientated. Like the nose there is a hint of malt and just a bit of citrusy hops, but it's tough to taste them past the pepper. It's interesting, but too pepper dominated.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is average at best, the pepper is just too overwhelming. I would have preferred some balance where the pepper compliments the other flavors a little more. It was interesting but not something I'd buy again.

08-26-2010 22:09:50 | More by billab914
mrandypandy

Georgia

2.48/5  rDev -29.1%

12oz bottle received in a trade. Many thanks to scubarex.

A- Pours a clear copper/amber with a slight tan head on the top. Leaves very good lacing on the side of my glass.
S- Black pepper. Lots of black pepper. Like someone popped back peppercorns into a bottle. Very interesting, and I'm not sure if I like it or not...
T- Heavy black pepper up front, with a dry bready maltyness at the end. Very unique.
M - Medium body with a dry finish.
D- The high amounts of pepper detracts from the ability to finish my bottle or my desire to have another.

Overall - Wow, where to start. Different. Unique. Take your pick. It's certainly all it's billed up to be, but whether that's a good thing or not is a whole different story. The black pepper overpowers the smell and the taste, and ruins any attempt at wanting more. This one isn't for me.

01-26-2010 01:21:49 | More by mrandypandy
lurpy1

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

Very standard APA pour with abundant head, blame the pourer though. The smell is alert and spicy, pepper really comes to the fore.

Sips of Knot Stock are like snowflakes - no two are alike. Unfortunately, none of those snowflakes are very good. One sip presence all the promised cracked black pepper. Another is an odd lemony. Another is dawn soap (lemon flavor I surprise). Another is flat,dry, watery, bland, ewww. Really not enjoying this beer.

All in all, I found this to be a BIB (bad idea beer). Points for innovation, but not recommended.

02-20-2012 12:51:41 | More by lurpy1

04-28-2014 21:30:14 | More by Syngates333
mactrail

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

Huge foam uprising in the glass. Barely dissipates, just sits there on top of two fingers of amber liquid. Light bodied.

Wow, black pepper flavor is really a knock out. Doesn't have that "pencil shavings" flavor of other pepper flavored beers I've tried. this one is just so overpoweringly peppered it doesn't have time for the graphite hints. Nose filling aromatics are the best feature. But after the pepper fades to a slow burn a rather unpleasant hop bitterness and some dishwater flavors take over.

Definitely an interesting taste for those who can't resist oddball beer flavorings. But fortunately there's a sink handy.

10-29-2010 01:48:13 | More by mactrail
ibashmuck

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a small but thick head on a cloudy dark amber body. Smell is hoppy, with a nice mix of sweetness. Both of those traits come through in the taste. But the pepper they mention on the label is nowhere to be found. Tastes like a better-than-average pale...nothing overly spectacular, but with all traits nicely balanced to produce a smooth, tasty beer, whose hoppiness waned as it warmed (good for me as I'm typically not a huge fan of the graefruit). Good stuff, though I would've liked the pepper apparent. I'm gonna give it another go, see if I can find that pepper. First grade: B+

Oct. '08- Bought another, and this one was slightly different than the first. Little to no head, very cloudy, with a load of sediment floating around. The hopness was a bit stronger this time around, and I found the pepper. Poked it's head out on the finish. Could definitely feel it on the throat this time. But the sweetness was a bit lower this time. So...me thinks another try will give me a final review. I'll try anything three times, I guess.

08-08-2008 18:32:12 | More by ibashmuck
botham

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

Brewed with black pepper. Interesting. 12 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. Pours apricot/chestnut brown color with a single finger of light tan frothy head that leaves pillowy lacings and has good retention. Lightly hazy in the glass with amber highlights.

Aroma is of light piney hops and a touch of herbal spice (from the black pepper), along with notes of distant caramel and bready malt.

Taste is lightly coniferous, with the same herbal spice and a peppery spiced character like none this BA has ever experienced. The spicy character really works against any malt or hop presence, which is only shown through a bit of bread in the aftertaste and some piney hops on the palate. Finishes with a lingering spice and bready malt notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a spicy bite and a lack of complexity due to the spice. Disappointingly simple on the palate.

Drinkability is decent. Maybe this would pair well with the right food or cheese, but by itself the pepper really works against the remaining characteristics of the beer. Worth a try, but not two bottles.

07-03-2009 17:56:09 | More by botham
waitforit

2.74/5  rDev -21.7%

A: Dark red, almost amber lager-like. Decent head and lacing.

S: The pepper is apparent even on the nose, lending it a woodsy aroma that leads you to expect it to be rather malty.

T: Very immediate, almost smoky dryness from the pepper. Some hoppiness on the back end, but it's drowned out by the pepper.

M: Bland and boring.

O: Black pepper in beer is an interesting experiment, but ultimately the taste is too overwhelming for me. Thanks but no thanks, Furthermore.

Try it again? 2 - Probably not.

07-27-2013 01:29:14 | More by waitforit