Knot Stock - Furthermore Beer

good

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-26-2006)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Knot Stock Alström Bros
wheatyweiss

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a dark amber with a light fluffy head that pillows above my nonic. Very nice presentation.

Aroma is of spicy hops and cracked black pepper. Subtle malt in the background hints at a big ale.

Taste is piney, resinous, peppery hops. The black pepper they advertise on the bottle is there, and it is very complementary, not overpowering. Malt is a little thin, which is disappointing given the aroma. Dry hop flavors prevail.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery, but not terrible.

A very unique twist on a pale ale that everyone should try.

10-04-2008 04:49:19 | More by wheatyweiss
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

12oz bottle received from maximum12 in the Summer Beer BIF. Thanks, Corey! Given that it's fall, I need to drink these and soon, so I am. Into my Guinness imperial pint glass

A: Clouded copper colored pour with an off white head with solid retention. Tons of carbonation visible along the side of this glass

S: Spicy and hoppy with citrus orange hops and black pepper is QUITE pronounced on the nose. There's some caramel sweetness in there too. While compelling, I wouldn't quite call it particularly enticing.

T: Wow. This is something you need to try . The citrus hops go very very well with the black pepper flavor and is remarkably balanced, in and of itself and especially given the nose. The sweetness is restrained and works very well with the spiciness. The finish is dry and mildly hoppy and mildly spicy

M: Initially, this beer does have the tendency to foam up in the mouth but it tames down. While definitely on the medium side of medium-light in body, the sweetness doesn't interfere with the rest of the beer. The finish is solid too

D: I'm really enjoying this, thanks a bunch for this treat, Corey! I'll DEFINITELY drink this again!

10-03-2008 23:35:18 | More by DefenCorps
Rennpferd

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

it poured hazy, copper hued with a short head that quickly disappeared. No activity could be seen.

It smelled slightly hoppy with a lite buttery undertone.

It tasted hoppy with accents of butter that were cut with black pepper. An nice three way flavor. It had a medium body and a warm spicey finish.

It's a good beer. I can see where Furthermore was going with it. I love pepper, but just not in my beer. It definately is a good way to cut the buttery undertones that Pale Ale can sometimes have. I just felt that it finished too strong and decreased the drinkability of this beer.

10-03-2008 01:30:59 | More by Rennpferd
supercolter

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

Well this was a very interesting brew from a brewery I would like to get to know a little better. Smell is good, some citrus up front, with a bit of sweet malt and ground black pepper. Taste is very similar, I think it is a bit better blended but not quite as much hops. Mouthfeel is nice, good amount of carbonation and medium body.
Drinkability is very good.

09-28-2008 23:56:10 | More by supercolter
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Got this one from feloniousmonk, cheers Al!

Pours a hazed caramel with 1 finger of cream colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Bready & fruitty

T: Bready, plus a bit of grapefruit & grainyness up front. Pears, apricots & more grapefruit as this warms, plus some cinnamon & tangerine. Finishes with peppery & grapefruitty hops & honey malt

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation, good balance; skews fruitty

Drinks pretty easy, this would be in my session rotation if locally obtainable

09-26-2008 19:35:51 | More by russpowell
beachbum1975

2.05/5  rDev -41.4%

This was a bonus beer included on a trade a from few months back. Sorry, I forgot the trader, but thanks if you know who you are!!!

12 oz brown bottle poured into a traditional pint glass. Neat, retro packaging, like other Furthermore beers.

A: Appears a hazy, cloudy burnt orange to amber color with a very little, light tan head.

S: Smells of bread yeasts, light caramel and a very light spice of hop or possibly "PEPPER!"!

T: Very sweet with malty characteristics. Grassy, watered down and not well-balanced. Tastes stale at times, almost like wet cardboard.

M: Light to medium bodied with little carbonation.

D: This is an American Pale Ale? Not impressed, I guess it is possible I had an old bottle, so I won't kill on the drinkability points. The peppery mix of strangeness and bland bleakness threw me off to the point there was no turning back. I was forced to perform the dreaded "drain pour'.

09-10-2008 18:32:29 | More by beachbum1975
Greggy

4.13/5  rDev +18%

A- Pours a nice sticky 1.5 finger head that leaves some nice lacing. The body is dark amber and has some nice sediment.

S- Very nice American hop presence, crushed black pepper, grapefruit, slight pineapple.

T- Starts off the bat with a solid pepper and malt backbone, slight grapefruit, then moves into a fresh crushed black pepper finish. Nice spice.

M- Medium carbonation works well, especially with the spicy black pepper finish.

D- I couldn't see having this again without food. With food, however, I could see this being great. Ham, Mexican.. anything with heat, I could see this pairing up well with.

09-06-2008 03:12:33 | More by Greggy
KarlHungus

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer pours a deep amber color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes some what quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is black pepper. There isn't much else to the aroma, and there is not much complexity, but it is pleasant. The taste is more balanced than the aroma. There is a lot of malt, some hops, and a lot of pepper too. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this is a nice beer that I could drink again when in the mood of balanced beer with something more.

09-04-2008 00:14:41 | More by KarlHungus
NJpadreFan

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Furthermore- Knot Stock

Thanks to LRRR(Mike) for this 1!

A- Deep orange brown with a thick good lacing head.
S- Not too much here; bready malt, cracked pepper, and grapefruit.
T- Light grapefruit meets good bready slightly caramel malt. Huge pepper comes through!
M- Sweet and malty with quite the black pepper spiciness. Bold black pepper finishes this 1 off and leaves your mouth tingling?!

Overall- "brewed with black pepper"?! No sh!t. Spicy and leaves the mouth a bit hot. Just too much pepper for me! (Thanks Mike!)

08-21-2008 22:47:46 | More by NJpadreFan
ibashmuck

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a small but thick head on a cloudy dark amber body. Smell is hoppy, with a nice mix of sweetness. Both of those traits come through in the taste. But the pepper they mention on the label is nowhere to be found. Tastes like a better-than-average pale...nothing overly spectacular, but with all traits nicely balanced to produce a smooth, tasty beer, whose hoppiness waned as it warmed (good for me as I'm typically not a huge fan of the graefruit). Good stuff, though I would've liked the pepper apparent. I'm gonna give it another go, see if I can find that pepper. First grade: B+

Oct. '08- Bought another, and this one was slightly different than the first. Little to no head, very cloudy, with a load of sediment floating around. The hopness was a bit stronger this time around, and I found the pepper. Poked it's head out on the finish. Could definitely feel it on the throat this time. But the sweetness was a bit lower this time. So...me thinks another try will give me a final review. I'll try anything three times, I guess.

08-08-2008 18:32:12 | More by ibashmuck
BrewerB

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aroma initially hinted at citrusy hops at a moderate or mid-low level. There was also some sweetness in the background, a bit of caramel. For an APA, I find it substantially lacking in hop and malt character. And where's the black pepper? It's not a bad nose, just missing some things I expect.

Appearance was a lightly hazy reddish-copper. Some orange highlights. Off-white head was tight, a couple fingers thick but did not retain. APA needs head retention.

Flavor was dominated by the spicy/peppery flavor which hit the back of the mouth and then covered the tongue. Lingering spiciness into the medium finish. Some caramel/bready malt is present but I'm not picking up much hops. Old batch, perhaps? An American Pale Ale should have much more hop and malt character than this. Spiciness a bit too present.

Medium-bodied with a moderately-low carbonation level. Smooth. Needs more carbonation for this style.

Overall it's a very unique beer. This prominent black pepper spiciness is not something I'm accustomed to and makes for an interesting session. Definitely missing important APA character - hops/malts/bitterness. Finishes a little too sweet. I've only got one bottle but that is plenty.

07-24-2008 02:50:17 | More by BrewerB
edmedina

4.88/5  rDev +39.4%

Pours a very cloudy amber color. The pour gave me 3 + fingers worth of head. The aroma is very sweet almost fruity. However, you can smell the black pepper. The taste is sweet, hint of grapefruit with the black pepper finishing everything off at the end. The mouthfeel is bitter but still hints of grapefruit. It starts off sweet but finishes bitter. I find that be delightful and really makes this one enjoyable. I think the black pepper really plays with the palate.

07-12-2008 03:59:43 | More by edmedina
malcontent

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

Hazy amber/brown body with off-white head. Not much else to say.

Mostly amber malt with a significant hop presence on the finish. Also, although I have a feeling the power of suggestion is at work here, I'm getting some black pepper.

Or not. The beer itself is a well made amber ale but the black pepper is absolutely on board. It's such a subtle addition but it's a great change of pace and grows steadily as the beer warms.

Highly drinkable and a really fun twist on a tired style. I'd absolutely have another.

06-16-2008 18:55:38 | More by malcontent
CaptainIPA

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

P: Served in a 12 oz., brown bottle at The Pabst Theater before Aimee Mann took the stage.

A: Pours a nut-brown color with a thin, off-white head with limited retention.

S: Hoppy, citrus nose with hints of yeast and black pepper.

T: Opens bitter (65 IBUs) before surrendering to a healthy foundation of caramel malt that placates the tingling play of pepper. Strong metallic notes throughout. Finishes dry and zingingly bitter.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Average drinkability.

06-14-2008 23:20:56 | More by CaptainIPA
Deuane

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%

On tap at Acadia Cafe. The bartender, James, pointed it out to me...a totally new brewery and one I had NEVER heard of...most unusual for me!

A-Copper with a medium light tan head that left a heavy coating of foam and nice lacing.

S-Very nice hop aroma, peppery (didnt know there wa cracked pepper in it until afterwards) even a hint of clove? Very interesting.

T-WOW! What a great flavour explosion of spicy hops held up by a generous malt bill. I am told, that it is made with cracked pepper...which I later find to be true. This is a nice experiment on how to combine hops with something that will support them.

M-Medium bodied with an insane crispness, really nice.

D-This is great stuff by this newcomer to me. I am glad to have had the opportunity to have this on tap and not from a bottle...I think I got a lot more out if it!

03-30-2008 13:21:20 | More by Deuane
brentk56

3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a resilient head that sticks well and makes a nice pattern of lace around the pint glass

Smell: Smells a bit like wet hay; I'm not picking up the character that I had hoped would be in there

Taste: From the start, the beer has a bready flavor that moves in a subtle tangerine direction by mid-palate; after the swallow, the piney hops kick in and, much later, the pepper flavor arrives and dominates the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Glad I had a chance to try this unique concoction and, as a pepper lover, it suited my palate for the occasion; doubt I would want to revisit this very frequently, however

Thanks, BuckeyeNation, for the opportunity

03-21-2008 19:54:54 | More by brentk56
SiphonKing

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours murky but cleared after a few minutes to reveal the amber colored beer within. Nice carbonation but the head was rather weak. Aromas of hops and a little malt present but no peppery aroma detected. As for taste it is a decent APA with a hint of pepper on the tongue. A decent beer but the black pepper was not noticeable enough to distinguish it from the hops present.

03-17-2008 01:13:14 | More by SiphonKing
maximum12

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

Had a taste of this at the recent Stub & Herb's sampling & liked it, so when a weekend pilgrimage to Blue Max found me staring at it through the glass doors, I had to have a full pour of this weird stuff.

The head started rising out of the bottle slowly after popping the top - like some of my homebrews! Pours a semi-opaque orange. I get some foam on my nose sniffing the pepper. Smells good. Do people really care if a beer smells like a frat-house floor but tastes like heaven? Just curious.

Tastes...odd. I can taste the pepper, but wouldn't have been able to identify it because of the interaction with the hops (no one at the sampling could tell what it was, either!). Initially my enthusiam is still there, but the further I get into the beer, the more my nose starts to wrinkle up. The sample was good; a whole beer of this stuff is too much.

The verdict: drink in small doses. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to finish this one.

03-03-2008 03:11:07 | More by maximum12
mnstorm99

4.28/5  rDev +22.3%

Nice orance pour with a good white head that goes away, and laces a little in the glass, it gets better from here.
Aroma is a slight floral lemony hop, and spices, hard to pick out on the nose, but a tinge of sweetness, this is interesting.
Taste, oh wow, wasn't sure how the black pepper would come out, but this is good, almost a creamy pepper flavor, with some nice lemony hops, and not too sweet on the malts.
Nice carbonation level, just right mouthfeel for the style. this is actually a very good Pale Ale that actually has a different flavor to it.

02-29-2008 16:01:20 | More by mnstorm99
drseamus

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%

I saw cracked pepper on the bottle and I knew i had to try it. It pours an amber reddish color with a nice off white head. It fell over the course of a few minutes. A bit dark for a pale ale. The aroma is malty with a good dose of hops in there. I don't get any pepper in the aroma. I don't particuarily get any in the flavor either, but there is a spiciness I can't attribute to anything else so I'm guessing that's the pepper. There are hops in there too but mostly for bitterness and a ton in the way of flavor. It has good mouthfeel but the drinkability is only a touch over average. I'd like to see a slightly better balance between the bitterness and hop flavor.

02-25-2008 23:51:45 | More by drseamus
ALESwhatCURESya

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

I spoke with the brewmaster at Furthermore about this beer and became very intrigued with there expectations of this beer. This is an APA made with freshly cracked black pepper and is intended to be a "Dinner Beer" according to him. It pours a semi rusty brown with a slight chill haze and very little head. The aroma brings out a slight touch of the pepper and it blends very nice with the hops and doughy malt. The taste is surprisingly well balanced with the spiciness of the black pepper. Along with the hops (a subtle hop variety with lower alpha acids) the pepper adds a completely different level of sharpness and depth. The body is full with a good amount of maltiness. A nice shot at a common beer style with a twist. Not as bad as I thought but not something I could drink all session.

02-12-2008 01:21:46 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
YonderWanderer

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Pours a clear dark amber with ruby highlights. A two finger head of foam dissipates quickly, leaving decent lacing.

S: Mild hops, grassy, with a hint of sweetness behind it.

T: The taste is pretty interesting. It starts off as a standard pale ale, balanced nicely between a malty sweetness and slight hop bitterness. The end finishes with a solid black pepper bite - subtle, but definitely present, and surprisingly well-balanced with the ale.

M: Smooth, with a slightly dry finish.

D: A good take on a pale ale with a twist. Very drinkable, but at the same time, I don't know if I'd want this that often.

01-30-2008 23:06:55 | More by YonderWanderer
ronhocker

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%

Had this on tap at the comet cafe, which seems to have a lot of hard to find beers these days on tap and in bottle.

At first, it seems to be a normal pale ale, except without the in your face american "C" hops like most. The peppery notes then catch up with you and I think they are well balanced.

Nothing special about the appearance or aroma, but the taste is very good.

I've had this twice now and it is becoming one of my favorites.

01-14-2008 00:24:47 | More by ronhocker
plaztikjezuz

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

thanks to thefatkid13 for the sample, it was a great trade bro.

pours a brilliant copper with a reddish hue, there was a white head that was about 2 fingers, it slowly dropped in a light film covering the beer.
the aroma is malty, spicy, with a hint of citrus.
the ale is light on the palette, but has a good malty backbone, the hops shine through citrusy and spicy, lemon, the pepper shines through giving it a lingering hot sensation.

01-04-2008 04:22:51 | More by plaztikjezuz
Winter

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Crimson in color with a light khaki head. Fruity aroma with hints of cracked black pepper, candied raisins and caramel. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. The taste is an odd mix of flavors. There's a fruity aleness to it, but it's rather astringent. The use of the black pepper adds a spiciness that pops in the finish and really targets the back of the throat.

I didn't care for this at all. I've had beers before with pepper, but this was just off-putting. I would pass on this one.

10-13-2007 04:04:38 | More by Winter