Knot Stock - Furthermore Beer

good

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-26-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Knot Stock Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +39.8%

Pours a very cloudy amber color. The pour gave me 3 + fingers worth of head. The aroma is very sweet almost fruity. However, you can smell the black pepper. The taste is sweet, hint of grapefruit with the black pepper finishing everything off at the end. The mouthfeel is bitter but still hints of grapefruit. It starts off sweet but finishes bitter. I find that be delightful and really makes this one enjoyable. I think the black pepper really plays with the palate.

4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

Hazy amber/brown body with off-white head. Not much else to say.

Mostly amber malt with a significant hop presence on the finish. Also, although I have a feeling the power of suggestion is at work here, I'm getting some black pepper.

Or not. The beer itself is a well made amber ale but the black pepper is absolutely on board. It's such a subtle addition but it's a great change of pace and grows steadily as the beer warms.

Highly drinkable and a really fun twist on a tired style. I'd absolutely have another.

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

P: Served in a 12 oz., brown bottle at The Pabst Theater before Aimee Mann took the stage.

A: Pours a nut-brown color with a thin, off-white head with limited retention.

S: Hoppy, citrus nose with hints of yeast and black pepper.

T: Opens bitter (65 IBUs) before surrendering to a healthy foundation of caramel malt that placates the tingling play of pepper. Strong metallic notes throughout. Finishes dry and zingingly bitter.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Average drinkability.

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

On tap at Acadia Cafe. The bartender, James, pointed it out to me...a totally new brewery and one I had NEVER heard of...most unusual for me!

A-Copper with a medium light tan head that left a heavy coating of foam and nice lacing.

S-Very nice hop aroma, peppery (didnt know there wa cracked pepper in it until afterwards) even a hint of clove? Very interesting.

T-WOW! What a great flavour explosion of spicy hops held up by a generous malt bill. I am told, that it is made with cracked pepper...which I later find to be true. This is a nice experiment on how to combine hops with something that will support them.

M-Medium bodied with an insane crispness, really nice.

D-This is great stuff by this newcomer to me. I am glad to have had the opportunity to have this on tap and not from a bottle...I think I got a lot more out if it!

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a resilient head that sticks well and makes a nice pattern of lace around the pint glass

Smell: Smells a bit like wet hay; I'm not picking up the character that I had hoped would be in there

Taste: From the start, the beer has a bready flavor that moves in a subtle tangerine direction by mid-palate; after the swallow, the piney hops kick in and, much later, the pepper flavor arrives and dominates the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Glad I had a chance to try this unique concoction and, as a pepper lover, it suited my palate for the occasion; doubt I would want to revisit this very frequently, however

Thanks, BuckeyeNation, for the opportunity

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours murky but cleared after a few minutes to reveal the amber colored beer within. Nice carbonation but the head was rather weak. Aromas of hops and a little malt present but no peppery aroma detected. As for taste it is a decent APA with a hint of pepper on the tongue. A decent beer but the black pepper was not noticeable enough to distinguish it from the hops present.

2.42/5  rDev -30.7%

Had a taste of this at the recent Stub & Herb's sampling & liked it, so when a weekend pilgrimage to Blue Max found me staring at it through the glass doors, I had to have a full pour of this weird stuff.

The head started rising out of the bottle slowly after popping the top - like some of my homebrews! Pours a semi-opaque orange. I get some foam on my nose sniffing the pepper. Smells good. Do people really care if a beer smells like a frat-house floor but tastes like heaven? Just curious.

Tastes...odd. I can taste the pepper, but wouldn't have been able to identify it because of the interaction with the hops (no one at the sampling could tell what it was, either!). Initially my enthusiam is still there, but the further I get into the beer, the more my nose starts to wrinkle up. The sample was good; a whole beer of this stuff is too much.

The verdict: drink in small doses. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to finish this one.

4.28/5  rDev +22.6%

Nice orance pour with a good white head that goes away, and laces a little in the glass, it gets better from here.
Aroma is a slight floral lemony hop, and spices, hard to pick out on the nose, but a tinge of sweetness, this is interesting.
Taste, oh wow, wasn't sure how the black pepper would come out, but this is good, almost a creamy pepper flavor, with some nice lemony hops, and not too sweet on the malts.
Nice carbonation level, just right mouthfeel for the style. this is actually a very good Pale Ale that actually has a different flavor to it.

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

I saw cracked pepper on the bottle and I knew i had to try it. It pours an amber reddish color with a nice off white head. It fell over the course of a few minutes. A bit dark for a pale ale. The aroma is malty with a good dose of hops in there. I don't get any pepper in the aroma. I don't particuarily get any in the flavor either, but there is a spiciness I can't attribute to anything else so I'm guessing that's the pepper. There are hops in there too but mostly for bitterness and a ton in the way of flavor. It has good mouthfeel but the drinkability is only a touch over average. I'd like to see a slightly better balance between the bitterness and hop flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

I spoke with the brewmaster at Furthermore about this beer and became very intrigued with there expectations of this beer. This is an APA made with freshly cracked black pepper and is intended to be a "Dinner Beer" according to him. It pours a semi rusty brown with a slight chill haze and very little head. The aroma brings out a slight touch of the pepper and it blends very nice with the hops and doughy malt. The taste is surprisingly well balanced with the spiciness of the black pepper. Along with the hops (a subtle hop variety with lower alpha acids) the pepper adds a completely different level of sharpness and depth. The body is full with a good amount of maltiness. A nice shot at a common beer style with a twist. Not as bad as I thought but not something I could drink all session.

3.7/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a clear dark amber with ruby highlights. A two finger head of foam dissipates quickly, leaving decent lacing.

S: Mild hops, grassy, with a hint of sweetness behind it.

T: The taste is pretty interesting. It starts off as a standard pale ale, balanced nicely between a malty sweetness and slight hop bitterness. The end finishes with a solid black pepper bite - subtle, but definitely present, and surprisingly well-balanced with the ale.

M: Smooth, with a slightly dry finish.

D: A good take on a pale ale with a twist. Very drinkable, but at the same time, I don't know if I'd want this that often.

3.7/5  rDev +6%

Had this on tap at the comet cafe, which seems to have a lot of hard to find beers these days on tap and in bottle.

At first, it seems to be a normal pale ale, except without the in your face american "C" hops like most. The peppery notes then catch up with you and I think they are well balanced.

Nothing special about the appearance or aroma, but the taste is very good.

I've had this twice now and it is becoming one of my favorites.

3.63/5  rDev +4%

thanks to thefatkid13 for the sample, it was a great trade bro.

pours a brilliant copper with a reddish hue, there was a white head that was about 2 fingers, it slowly dropped in a light film covering the beer.
the aroma is malty, spicy, with a hint of citrus.
the ale is light on the palette, but has a good malty backbone, the hops shine through citrusy and spicy, lemon, the pepper shines through giving it a lingering hot sensation.

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Crimson in color with a light khaki head. Fruity aroma with hints of cracked black pepper, candied raisins and caramel. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. The taste is an odd mix of flavors. There's a fruity aleness to it, but it's rather astringent. The use of the black pepper adds a spiciness that pops in the finish and really targets the back of the throat.

I didn't care for this at all. I've had beers before with pepper, but this was just off-putting. I would pass on this one.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Presentation: bottle from France 44 and poured into a pint glass

A: Very hazy, cloudy burnt orange to amber color with very little head but what's there is a thin off white.

S: bready, caramel malt with a very light spice of hop but not very much. What hop is there is flowery w/o the citrus.

T: Very sweet, malty charcter with some bitterness from the hop, but it's grassy and not well balance. Too big a beer for the style or not enough hop to balance the malt.

M: chewy and heavy, too much for the style

D: Ok. No problem. Slight off flavor in the after taste, but not bad.

Overall: Doesn't seem to fit the idea of an American Pale Ale. And maybe that isn't there aim, just the label up above, but still not sure what they are aiming for. Not bad to drink but seems to be a confused beer that's not sure where it's going.

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Pours a caramel color with with a thin tan head.

S - A touch of hops with a strong aroma of fresh cracked black pepper.

T - A zing of fresh black pepper across the tongue with some caramel malt and hops. It is hard to determine what hop flavors with the pepper present. A bit of heat is left on the tongue and biulds after each sip, almost like a subtle chili beer.

M - Light to medium body with light carbonation that plays well with the pepper. Some heat and dryness in the finish.

D - A nice unique beer that is worth a try now and then but the boldness of the black pepper keep it from being a regular drinker.

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Pours a clear amber red with small head and lacing. Smells of a little hops, some sweet malt and lots of pepper. Tastes as it smells and is rather good untill the pepper kicks in. Finishes very hot and spicey from the pepper. Full in the mouth with good carbonation. The pepper is too over the top for me. Its maybe someones fancy, just not mine.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a turgid russet-amber in color, topped with a densely-aggregated pale tan head. Lacing is good. Nose is fruit-forward with red apple, light star anise, and musty yeast. Hop presence on the nose is subdued, but yes, the cracked black pepper is here in spades, even though this bottle appears to be not-so-fresh. That being said, there’s a fair amount of malt depth here and it more than compensates for a lack of hops on the nose. On first sip it’s fairly mild, with malt qualities (light caramel and biscuit) coming to the fore. Bitterness is pronounced but no prominent, and the black pepper lingers nicely alongside the bittering hop, and to very pleasant effect. In terms of aromatics, hops seem to be downplayed here (despite the ‘assertive presence of hops’ noted on the label) and the pepper offers a nice earthy quality in its stead. Well-balanced and dryish overall, and not-quite medium bodied. Good drinkability . . . a decent session ale, and with a fairly unique twist.

[Served chilled, in a tumbler]

4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

a: The beer is a deep, slightly cloudy amber in color. The pour into my DFH glass gives a pretty little head that remains for quite awhile.

s: Interesting pepper presence with a sturdy malt backbone. The pepper could have gone either way, but it's really well blended here. Sweet and spicy tropical fruit notes. Plenty of sweet malt and hops allowed through, as the pepper kinda takes the backseat.

m: carbonation just over medium, and a body about the same

t: A lot going on here...I like it very much. Sweet and spicy pepper lies underneath layers of caramel malt. Gentle hop flavor does its thing without masking the delicate pepper. Light bitterness, nice finish. Spice lingers in the mouth, throat, and gut for a looong time...mmm. Could quite easily be a 4.5.

d: easy, a tasty unique beer, the peppery finish keeps me eager for the next sip

single bottle brought back from Wisco

4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

I am grateful for my friend's dad who brought this and other beers back from a trip to Wisconsin and allowed me to dabble in his stash.

I poured this in a stemless pinot noir glass so I could really get my nose in the beer to notice the black peppercorns.

A - Dark amber color pours an average head that falls quickly

S - This is more than I expected, pretty peppery, yet yields a caramel nose

T - Wow, very interesting like it has a sporadic peppercorn flavor, with a balance and presence of bitter hops while the malt lingers. I am happy that the pepper is not up front. I am really dwelling in the spice here that hints to a tiny citrus.

M - A warm sensation of the pepper hides the alcohol with a stronger malt character

D - I am happy that the pepper is not up front, because I end up coming back for more. I think because the black peppercorns come in and out the Knot Stock's creative sensation leads to more drinkability.

I had this with smoked peppered lamb chops and stuffed crab avocados which I thought paired well. One of the most interesting Pale Ales let alone beers I have every had, and I am jonesing for more! Please pick this up if you see it!

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A-Glowing orange/amber

S-Big on the caramel malts...smells like an amber ale of some sort..no black pepper evident on the nose..

T-Sweet caramel malts with some earthy hops...relatively tasty....finishes with just a mild black pepper impression....the black pepper is not evident until on the finish and then it is uniquely, but subtly noticeable.

M-Medium bodied...seems a little murky and muddied..

D-Pretty unique and pretty tasty....the pepper adds almost a hop like dry finish....I wouldn't want more than one of these but for a 'different' style this pretty much hits the mark...shit if you love black pepper and beer this might be for you....it is not over the top on the black pepper but it is clearly there on the finish....

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Hazed and highly carbonated amber hued appearance, under a thin layer of off-whitish foam...

hoppy nose, much in the style of an APA, or English pale...a fruity blend, nothing more or less, quite nice...

Taste: unique,begins like an ordinary ale, then a blast of pepper. Not having detected this black pepper in the nose I wasn't sure how and when it would appear...bang, there it in on the tonggue, and it slinks out the back with the rest...sip again, there it is again, but milder this time, softer, more assured...
gets lighter and more citrus-y further in, parts of the pale ale are coming apart and parts of the pepper are leaving...or are they?...they're still on my tongue!
...and then, they all come together again, the heat still burning on my buds, the overall melding of flavors from the faint cohesion of the ale itself...feels rather light under the flame of the pepper...and the trickling tendrils of the hot pepper continue to buzz through the buds...

would have worked better I think if the body of the beer were fuller and the malt and hops stood up and matched the heat more confidently...that would've helped...I think...

should get extra points for being so unique...and yet, oddly, it doesn't...huh...

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick looking bloody red. Clarity is good. Small head. Minimal lace. This beer smells more like an amber ale than an APA or Spiced beer. Just an observation. The caramel malts are thick on the nose. There's some spicy hop notes in the background, but really no black pepper to speak of on the nose. Good aroma nonetheless. The pepper is a little more noticeable on the palate, but really not that much more. And that's a good thing. Pepper beers can get pretty damn hot, and this isn't one of those. Pretty good malt base of crystal and caramel malts. Nice hoppy attributes. Body is medium-full. Cabonation is moderate. This is like a nice little amber ale that had a shake or two of pepper added. Solid enough beer.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

The second Furthermore beer I'm trying...this one is brewed with black pepper. Pours into my glass a deep cloudy amber with a nice half inch of creamy head on top. Aromas start off with some spiciness including black pepper and some caramel. Herbal, citrusy hops are there as well. Slightly bready. Interesting.

First sip brings a smooth caramel malt upfront that segues into a slight breadiness. Herbal, citrusy hops follow with a touch a grapefruit. Peppery spiciness plays off the hops with each subsequent sip and leaves just a touch of heat on the way down. The hops and pepper are really an interesting mix, making for a tasty brew that's quite unlike any other I have tried.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creaminess and steady carbonation. Goes down easily. I could see myself having a few of these. There's an interesting mix of flavors between the hops and the pepper, with the pepper never going overboard. I'm looking forward to trying even more Furthermore beers. Worth seeking out if you're around Wisconsin!

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A short head of ivory cream rises above the cloudy deep-amber body of Furthermore's Knot Stock as you pour it. Shortly thereafter the head receeds to a standard collar, but it leaves patches of spotty lace behind.

The nose is surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly, peppery over a solidly caramelish malt base. It's not bold, but it's there, and it's really quite interesting!

The flavor follows, with black pepper sprinkled roughshod over the blanket of softly sweet and caramelish malt. Beneath it a solid bitterness balances. As you progress through the glass the pepper starts to build on your lips with a delicate heat; and it becomes more and more noticeable in the flavor. I'd imagine that people who smoke might like this as it's got a little bit of a burn going on. It finishes dry and peppery, with the deeply caramelish malt fading quickly but the pepper hanging on.

Distinctive to say the least, Knot Stock is unlike any other beer I've ever had. There's just enough black pepper there to give it flavor and aroma without it becoming a spice-bomb. Very nicely done, and remarkably unique, I have to give it points for originality but I doubt I'd have more than two of these in a row. Still, it's absolutely worth trying just for the experience.

Knot Stock from Furthermore Beer