Knot Stock - Furthermore Beer

good

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 06-26-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Knot Stock Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +22.6%

Nice orance pour with a good white head that goes away, and laces a little in the glass, it gets better from here.
Aroma is a slight floral lemony hop, and spices, hard to pick out on the nose, but a tinge of sweetness, this is interesting.
Taste, oh wow, wasn't sure how the black pepper would come out, but this is good, almost a creamy pepper flavor, with some nice lemony hops, and not too sweet on the malts.
Nice carbonation level, just right mouthfeel for the style. this is actually a very good Pale Ale that actually has a different flavor to it.

mnstorm99, Feb 29, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

I saw cracked pepper on the bottle and I knew i had to try it. It pours an amber reddish color with a nice off white head. It fell over the course of a few minutes. A bit dark for a pale ale. The aroma is malty with a good dose of hops in there. I don't get any pepper in the aroma. I don't particuarily get any in the flavor either, but there is a spiciness I can't attribute to anything else so I'm guessing that's the pepper. There are hops in there too but mostly for bitterness and a ton in the way of flavor. It has good mouthfeel but the drinkability is only a touch over average. I'd like to see a slightly better balance between the bitterness and hop flavor.

drseamus, Feb 25, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

I spoke with the brewmaster at Furthermore about this beer and became very intrigued with there expectations of this beer. This is an APA made with freshly cracked black pepper and is intended to be a "Dinner Beer" according to him. It pours a semi rusty brown with a slight chill haze and very little head. The aroma brings out a slight touch of the pepper and it blends very nice with the hops and doughy malt. The taste is surprisingly well balanced with the spiciness of the black pepper. Along with the hops (a subtle hop variety with lower alpha acids) the pepper adds a completely different level of sharpness and depth. The body is full with a good amount of maltiness. A nice shot at a common beer style with a twist. Not as bad as I thought but not something I could drink all session.

ALESwhatCURESya, Feb 12, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +6%

A: Pours a clear dark amber with ruby highlights. A two finger head of foam dissipates quickly, leaving decent lacing.

S: Mild hops, grassy, with a hint of sweetness behind it.

T: The taste is pretty interesting. It starts off as a standard pale ale, balanced nicely between a malty sweetness and slight hop bitterness. The end finishes with a solid black pepper bite - subtle, but definitely present, and surprisingly well-balanced with the ale.

M: Smooth, with a slightly dry finish.

D: A good take on a pale ale with a twist. Very drinkable, but at the same time, I don't know if I'd want this that often.

YonderWanderer, Jan 30, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +6%

Had this on tap at the comet cafe, which seems to have a lot of hard to find beers these days on tap and in bottle.

At first, it seems to be a normal pale ale, except without the in your face american "C" hops like most. The peppery notes then catch up with you and I think they are well balanced.

Nothing special about the appearance or aroma, but the taste is very good.

I've had this twice now and it is becoming one of my favorites.

ronhocker, Jan 14, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +4%

thanks to thefatkid13 for the sample, it was a great trade bro.

pours a brilliant copper with a reddish hue, there was a white head that was about 2 fingers, it slowly dropped in a light film covering the beer.
the aroma is malty, spicy, with a hint of citrus.
the ale is light on the palette, but has a good malty backbone, the hops shine through citrusy and spicy, lemon, the pepper shines through giving it a lingering hot sensation.

plaztikjezuz, Jan 04, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Crimson in color with a light khaki head. Fruity aroma with hints of cracked black pepper, candied raisins and caramel. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. The taste is an odd mix of flavors. There's a fruity aleness to it, but it's rather astringent. The use of the black pepper adds a spiciness that pops in the finish and really targets the back of the throat.

I didn't care for this at all. I've had beers before with pepper, but this was just off-putting. I would pass on this one.

Winter, Oct 13, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Presentation: bottle from France 44 and poured into a pint glass

A: Very hazy, cloudy burnt orange to amber color with very little head but what's there is a thin off white.

S: bready, caramel malt with a very light spice of hop but not very much. What hop is there is flowery w/o the citrus.

T: Very sweet, malty charcter with some bitterness from the hop, but it's grassy and not well balance. Too big a beer for the style or not enough hop to balance the malt.

M: chewy and heavy, too much for the style

D: Ok. No problem. Slight off flavor in the after taste, but not bad.

Overall: Doesn't seem to fit the idea of an American Pale Ale. And maybe that isn't there aim, just the label up above, but still not sure what they are aiming for. Not bad to drink but seems to be a confused beer that's not sure where it's going.

FightingEntropy, Oct 07, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Pours a caramel color with with a thin tan head.

S - A touch of hops with a strong aroma of fresh cracked black pepper.

T - A zing of fresh black pepper across the tongue with some caramel malt and hops. It is hard to determine what hop flavors with the pepper present. A bit of heat is left on the tongue and biulds after each sip, almost like a subtle chili beer.

M - Light to medium body with light carbonation that plays well with the pepper. Some heat and dryness in the finish.

D - A nice unique beer that is worth a try now and then but the boldness of the black pepper keep it from being a regular drinker.

brewcrew76, Sep 28, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +4%

Pours a clear amber red with small head and lacing. Smells of a little hops, some sweet malt and lots of pepper. Tastes as it smells and is rather good untill the pepper kicks in. Finishes very hot and spicey from the pepper. Full in the mouth with good carbonation. The pepper is too over the top for me. Its maybe someones fancy, just not mine.

franksnbeans, Aug 28, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a turgid russet-amber in color, topped with a densely-aggregated pale tan head. Lacing is good. Nose is fruit-forward with red apple, light star anise, and musty yeast. Hop presence on the nose is subdued, but yes, the cracked black pepper is here in spades, even though this bottle appears to be not-so-fresh. That being said, there’s a fair amount of malt depth here and it more than compensates for a lack of hops on the nose. On first sip it’s fairly mild, with malt qualities (light caramel and biscuit) coming to the fore. Bitterness is pronounced but no prominent, and the black pepper lingers nicely alongside the bittering hop, and to very pleasant effect. In terms of aromatics, hops seem to be downplayed here (despite the ‘assertive presence of hops’ noted on the label) and the pepper offers a nice earthy quality in its stead. Well-balanced and dryish overall, and not-quite medium bodied. Good drinkability . . . a decent session ale, and with a fairly unique twist.

[Served chilled, in a tumbler]

Chaz, Aug 28, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

a: The beer is a deep, slightly cloudy amber in color. The pour into my DFH glass gives a pretty little head that remains for quite awhile.

s: Interesting pepper presence with a sturdy malt backbone. The pepper could have gone either way, but it's really well blended here. Sweet and spicy tropical fruit notes. Plenty of sweet malt and hops allowed through, as the pepper kinda takes the backseat.

m: carbonation just over medium, and a body about the same

t: A lot going on here...I like it very much. Sweet and spicy pepper lies underneath layers of caramel malt. Gentle hop flavor does its thing without masking the delicate pepper. Light bitterness, nice finish. Spice lingers in the mouth, throat, and gut for a looong time...mmm. Could quite easily be a 4.5.

d: easy, a tasty unique beer, the peppery finish keeps me eager for the next sip

single bottle brought back from Wisco

blackie, Aug 14, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

I am grateful for my friend's dad who brought this and other beers back from a trip to Wisconsin and allowed me to dabble in his stash.

I poured this in a stemless pinot noir glass so I could really get my nose in the beer to notice the black peppercorns.

A - Dark amber color pours an average head that falls quickly

S - This is more than I expected, pretty peppery, yet yields a caramel nose

T - Wow, very interesting like it has a sporadic peppercorn flavor, with a balance and presence of bitter hops while the malt lingers. I am happy that the pepper is not up front. I am really dwelling in the spice here that hints to a tiny citrus.

M - A warm sensation of the pepper hides the alcohol with a stronger malt character

D - I am happy that the pepper is not up front, because I end up coming back for more. I think because the black peppercorns come in and out the Knot Stock's creative sensation leads to more drinkability.

I had this with smoked peppered lamb chops and stuffed crab avocados which I thought paired well. One of the most interesting Pale Ales let alone beers I have every had, and I am jonesing for more! Please pick this up if you see it!

brandoneast, Jul 30, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A-Glowing orange/amber

S-Big on the caramel malts...smells like an amber ale of some sort..no black pepper evident on the nose..

T-Sweet caramel malts with some earthy hops...relatively tasty....finishes with just a mild black pepper impression....the black pepper is not evident until on the finish and then it is uniquely, but subtly noticeable.

M-Medium bodied...seems a little murky and muddied..

D-Pretty unique and pretty tasty....the pepper adds almost a hop like dry finish....I wouldn't want more than one of these but for a 'different' style this pretty much hits the mark...shit if you love black pepper and beer this might be for you....it is not over the top on the black pepper but it is clearly there on the finish....

ZAP, Jul 18, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Hazed and highly carbonated amber hued appearance, under a thin layer of off-whitish foam...

hoppy nose, much in the style of an APA, or English pale...a fruity blend, nothing more or less, quite nice...

Taste: unique,begins like an ordinary ale, then a blast of pepper. Not having detected this black pepper in the nose I wasn't sure how and when it would appear...bang, there it in on the tonggue, and it slinks out the back with the rest...sip again, there it is again, but milder this time, softer, more assured...
gets lighter and more citrus-y further in, parts of the pale ale are coming apart and parts of the pepper are leaving...or are they?...they're still on my tongue!
...and then, they all come together again, the heat still burning on my buds, the overall melding of flavors from the faint cohesion of the ale itself...feels rather light under the flame of the pepper...and the trickling tendrils of the hot pepper continue to buzz through the buds...

would have worked better I think if the body of the beer were fuller and the malt and hops stood up and matched the heat more confidently...that would've helped...I think...

should get extra points for being so unique...and yet, oddly, it doesn't...huh...

feloniousmonk, Jun 29, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Thick looking bloody red. Clarity is good. Small head. Minimal lace. This beer smells more like an amber ale than an APA or Spiced beer. Just an observation. The caramel malts are thick on the nose. There's some spicy hop notes in the background, but really no black pepper to speak of on the nose. Good aroma nonetheless. The pepper is a little more noticeable on the palate, but really not that much more. And that's a good thing. Pepper beers can get pretty damn hot, and this isn't one of those. Pretty good malt base of crystal and caramel malts. Nice hoppy attributes. Body is medium-full. Cabonation is moderate. This is like a nice little amber ale that had a shake or two of pepper added. Solid enough beer.

Bighuge, Jun 20, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

The second Furthermore beer I'm trying...this one is brewed with black pepper. Pours into my glass a deep cloudy amber with a nice half inch of creamy head on top. Aromas start off with some spiciness including black pepper and some caramel. Herbal, citrusy hops are there as well. Slightly bready. Interesting.

First sip brings a smooth caramel malt upfront that segues into a slight breadiness. Herbal, citrusy hops follow with a touch a grapefruit. Peppery spiciness plays off the hops with each subsequent sip and leaves just a touch of heat on the way down. The hops and pepper are really an interesting mix, making for a tasty brew that's quite unlike any other I have tried.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creaminess and steady carbonation. Goes down easily. I could see myself having a few of these. There's an interesting mix of flavors between the hops and the pepper, with the pepper never going overboard. I'm looking forward to trying even more Furthermore beers. Worth seeking out if you're around Wisconsin!

orbitalr0x, May 23, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A short head of ivory cream rises above the cloudy deep-amber body of Furthermore's Knot Stock as you pour it. Shortly thereafter the head receeds to a standard collar, but it leaves patches of spotty lace behind.

The nose is surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly, peppery over a solidly caramelish malt base. It's not bold, but it's there, and it's really quite interesting!

The flavor follows, with black pepper sprinkled roughshod over the blanket of softly sweet and caramelish malt. Beneath it a solid bitterness balances. As you progress through the glass the pepper starts to build on your lips with a delicate heat; and it becomes more and more noticeable in the flavor. I'd imagine that people who smoke might like this as it's got a little bit of a burn going on. It finishes dry and peppery, with the deeply caramelish malt fading quickly but the pepper hanging on.

Distinctive to say the least, Knot Stock is unlike any other beer I've ever had. There's just enough black pepper there to give it flavor and aroma without it becoming a spice-bomb. Very nicely done, and remarkably unique, I have to give it points for originality but I doubt I'd have more than two of these in a row. Still, it's absolutely worth trying just for the experience.

NeroFiddled, May 21, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Textbook tawny with loads of fine particles that aren't dark enough to be black pepper. The pale caramel colored crown is on the small side despite a spirited pour. To its credit, however, it's persisting nicely. Knot Stock doesn't look like a typical pale ale, but then I have a feeling that it's anything but a typical pale ale.

Since I was aware of the ingredients prior to cracking the crown, the nose shouldn't have been a surprise. I'm still a bit taken aback by the smell of freshly-cracked black pepper in an APA. The spiciness partners well with the underlying ale rather than overwhelming it. This should be great fun.

Knot Stock tastes pretty much how I expected it to taste. As in the nose, Furthermore has found the perfect balance between pepper and ale. Having said that, if you aren't a fan of black pepper, don't even bother. I can even appreciate a mild heat, akin to one of the tamer chile beers. This is deliciously wacky stuff.

I take issue with the brewery's claim that the hoppiness is 'assertive'. It's actually on the well-balanced side, with a lightly sweet mixture of pale and caramel malts and a modest hoppiness whose origins I can only guess at. There's too much pepper messing with my taste buds for me to come up with a hop country of origin.

The mouthfeel is pale ale medium with a pleasing silky softness. Abundant or, worse yet, harsh carbonation would have been exactly the wrong choice. Given the spice load, I'm glad the beer carasses the mouth rather than assaults it.

After drinking the less than spectacular Proper, I wasn't sure how good the rest of the Furthermore lineup would be. Knot Stock is a success because it dares to be different without straying too far out onto the limb of weirdness. While I wouldn't want to drink it often, this certainly was an interesting ride.

BuckeyeNation, May 04, 2007

S - Got this from my buddy Andy. A nice intro into the furthermore stuff.

A - Looks good, head is sticky, color is in between copper and amber.

S - Spice, apricot, peach, peppery, citric. Perfect hot day brew. Reminds me a lot of Sam Adams Summer Ale.

T - Nice malty start, then comes through with some fruity and almost tart characters, definite spiciness, great hop finish. A good solid brew.

M - According to style, its practically perfect. Carbonation was a bit too much for me, but I'm just one guy. Needless to say I really enjoyed it.

D - Session brew, no doubt.

rsyberg01, Apr 25, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

The description on the bottle caught my attention, so I bought a six-pack as I was unable to buy it in single bottles. I considered it worth the risk of dissapointment. Cracked black pepper sounds like an interesting ingredient, but it was not as overwhelming as I had imagined. The 12 oz. bottle poured a medium-bodied, deep copper hue, presenting an attractive, clear, crisp appearance and nearly two fingers of foam that quickly diminished to a light laciness on the sides of the glass. The smell was earthy and fresh, with the initial taste surprisingly refreshing, finishing in a light hoppiness and just a hint of the pepper's spiciness. The pepper is subtle enough that it might not be noticed, yet it adds just a bit more character as spiced beers go. Knot Stock is highly drinkable; my hop-challenged friends and family who are not hip to the pale ale style would likely enjoy it. The five remaining bottles will find a happy home, and I'll buy more as the situation arises. I'd recommend pairing it with a cool chicken Caesar salad or breaded Tilapia fillets on a warm summer night. But being a Wisconsinite, this beer would also make a terrific overnight marinade for a batch of fresh Usinger's or Johnsonville bratwurst. Furthermore Brewing is new to the Wisconsin beer scene, with many local beer geeks trying their first offerings at Milwaukee Ale House's Mid-Winter Beer Festival. I look forward to tasting more beer styles from this new player, for better or for worse. Knot Stock is a worthy new entry.

logansboat15, Apr 16, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a tulip glass, with a hazy orange/umber tone to it. Some foam, not amounting to a decent head.

Smells metallic, not pleasant. No pepper, or much to even signify a beer.

Taste carries some level of hops, and a dry pepper in the finish. A good flavor, that needs to be rounded out. NIce pepper in the aftertaste. Again, not especially balanced.

MF&D- This is drinkable, but with so many other pale ales out there, it doesn't distinguish itself much.

emerge077, Apr 15, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance -- Soft orange color, with a large white head that fades quickly. Wet lacing.

Smell -- Piney & citrus hops with faint malty sweetness

Taste -- Hop bitterness upfront; middle provides just a touch of sweetness, followed by sharp peppercorn. I really enjoy the lingering peppercorn. Very unique!

Mouthfeel -- On the lighter side, but not too light. Feels just right for this style.

Drinkability -- I will be buying this beer again. I was a little leery at first, but this is a very nice offering. I really like the peppercorn. Recommended!

As an aside, I really think this one should be classified as an American Pale Ale and not an herbed/spiced beer.Yes, peppercorn was used in the brewing process, but this is clearly more of a pale ale than some kind of spiced beer.

ClearDog, Mar 11, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a hazelnut brown body with a thin bubbly light tan head that fades to a ring pretty quickly. There is a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles that glide to the surface.

S- This beer has a soft caramel malt note with some green herbal hop notes that balance each other very well. They are not really strong smells but very fresh.

T- The soft smooth pale malt flavor has a slight toasted note with a slight light fruit hint. There is a dry crisp malt flavor that is very light toasted but better than biscuit malt. There is a green bitter hop finish that has a soft dry spicy quality to the hops. There is a soft black pepper spice that hangs on the tongue after each sip.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a soft spice heat in the finish.

D- The soft toasted malt notes and the pepper heat are a very nice combo with the hops playing in there also. This is a excellent crafted beer and will be great session beer. I think this would be even more wonderful from a cask. This really reminds me of the soft yet complex British ale fresh from the cask.

rhoadsrage, Feb 19, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -4%

I had this on draft at the Comet Coffee Shop in Milwaukee.

It poured a hazy red amber with a sort of soapy head. The clarity of the beer was somewhat inconsistent...it was cloudy but somewhat inconsistently so.

It smelled a bit hoppy (it is supposed to be a pepper-flavored pale ale) and peppery.

Taste-wise, it was pretty good. The hop character became a bit more apparent by tasting, and the "fresh cracked black pepper" became more apparrent upon tasting. There weren't flecks of the stuff in the beer, but it was apparent with each sip (and in-between sips) that the pepper was playing with my taste buds. The peppery-ness was fascinating..it seemed to linger and mostly engage the back of my throat. As it warmed, it seemed slightly sour.

Mouthfeel was disappointing. While the beer generated decent head, it felt flat to me, as if it weren't carbonated enough. It wasn't effervescent, even to the extent that fairly heavy IPAs are meant to be effervescent.

Drinkability was quite good.

This beer is (in a fragmented marketplace) unique. I would recommend giving it a try.

BeerBelcher, Dec 15, 2006