Fallen Apple - Furthermore Beer

Fallen AppleFallen Apple

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Cream Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Golden2wenty1 on 10-25-2006)
Rennpferd

1.55/5  rDev -53.7%

It poured deep golden yellow with a one finger head. There was no carbonation at all. The head quickly reduced to nothing more than a lite lacing.

It had a nice malt scent. It was spoiled a bit by a funky apple skunked smell however.

It had a weird malt and apple taste. It tasted much like a skunked beer mixed half and half with a cider. It was lite and watery with a burned paper/wood aftertaste.

Just not a good beer in my opinion. Nothing seemed to come together for this beer. I am disappointed.

11-01-2008 22:47:42 | More by Rennpferd
cadenwhitaker

1.65/5  rDev -50.7%

I enjoy cider beers so this isn't a slam on cider beers as a whole... but there was either something wrong with this beer or the batch as a whole.

This beer was BITTER! I was almost like taking a macro amber style brew and mixing a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar. Seriously. I wound up pouring the rest into the sink because I began to wonder if it was a bad batch.

Now, maybe that was an expected taste. Or, like I said it was a bad batch. I understand that some people like the bitter/vinegar taste but (and this is coming from a cider beer fan) it was not for me.

11-22-2008 23:08:36 | More by cadenwhitaker
King_KongDCO93

12-19-2012 19:02:15 | More by King_KongDCO93
Lofty

2.15/5  rDev -35.8%

I had high hopes for this six-pack. Cream Ale sounded pleasant although I have scarcely had one before and being huge fan of a good cider I figured this would be a homerun. The flavor was just off-putting for my taste, the apple/cider was overly sweet and completely unbalanced with the ale which left a strange aftertaste. I ended up giving 4 of the 6 bottles to friends to try and they had similar feelings, however, we agreed this would be a great ingredient for beer-bread.

03-10-2013 03:44:48 | More by Lofty
KarlHungus

2.35/5  rDev -29.9%

This beer pours a clear pale orange-amber color. The head is a fizzy inch in height, and recedes quickly into a small cap of lacing. The aroma is of pale malt, and ripe apples. The taste is like a green jolly rancher....not something I ever wanted to taste in a beer. It get stronger in the finish, and I find myself fighting it. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, I cannot get past this beer's taste. I will not be drinking this again.

11-24-2008 00:10:00 | More by KarlHungus
bundy462

2.45/5  rDev -26.9%

A: Golden to slightly brown with a very thin head.

S: Very sweet and malty, mostly apple and not much more. Has a quality something along the line of other fruit beers like BBC's cherry wheat.

T: Strange...somewhat beer like up front chased by a bitter apple juice. Seems like it's not very well integrated. I'm pretty sure I can get the same taste mixing a macro lager with apple juice. Much less than I had hoped for.

M: Thin and smooth, slightly creamy.

O: It wouldn't be so bad if the finish wasn't so sour. I'd pass on these going forward.

11-07-2010 00:20:35 | More by bundy462
pdoran10

2.53/5  rDev -24.5%

pours out a clear dark golden color with a finger and a half of white head. head doesn't stick around long. kind of looks like apple juice but darker.

smell is dominated by the apple cider in the beer, nice fall apple smell going on, not much beer smell.

taste is very tart apple forward. cider flavor is nice. really overwhelms any cream ale base beer. i taste some spiciness nutmeg hint of cinnamon. tastes like a watered down cider. the apple and spice flavors are very nice, but the taste fails in concept, because of too much cider flavor and little to no beer flavor. wrong ratio maybe?

mouthfeel is nice creamy and a bit chewy. moderate/high carbonation well done here.

couldnt see myself getting this again. apple flavors overwhelm.

10-11-2010 10:30:36 | More by pdoran10
righthereisay

2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

Purchased a bottle at a 6 pack shop.

Biggest issue with this is the sourness. I wouldn't be surprised if they just took 6 ounces of cider and took 6 ounces of high octain beer and mixed them together. I don't think this was very well thought out. Maybe they were just trying to get something out in the market in time for fall festivals.

There really isn't much body,but then again, there isn't in apple cider either.

I would tell anyone not to purchase this. It really isn't that good. Maybe girls at a high school party would like it.

10-24-2010 17:35:37 | More by righthereisay
syrupjoe

2.6/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a dark gold color with half finger white head that dissipates quickly. Crystal clear.

Nose gives off notes of vanilla, butterscotch, and browned apples. Smells a bit like diacetyl.

Taste is tart, slightly sweet, very bitter in an aspirin/cigarette sort of way, and makes my mouth pucker up.

Moderate to low carbonation. Creamy. Overall a rather disappointing beer. A cool concept, but poorly executed. Pretty bad taste with a worse aftertaste. Maybe this would be better fresh?

12-27-2011 20:32:34 | More by syrupjoe
crossovert

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

12 oz bottle.

It pours a light apple juice color with a foamy white head.

Smells like apple juice mixed with vanilla icing.

Cream ales just aren't my thing I guess. It is like drinking vanilla/malt/apple flavored soda.

Non beer drinkers will like it

11-28-2010 22:28:32 | More by crossovert
cokes

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

Clear bronze cider colored with a rapidly dying gray-beige head that collects and retains as a collar.
Apple juice nose, between sweet and sour, and above all, simply, apple.
In fact, that line defines the taste as well: All apple juice, sweet first, then sour. What partially works in the aroma, doesn't in the taste. This lacks the funkiness and nuance that whole apple beers and ciders can produce. There is no intrigue here, you're promised apples, and that's precisely what arrives. It simply lacks basic beer traits And if they aren't lacking (as a Cream Ale doesn't usually exude a lot of individualistic flair), they are simply masked. There is a small, rubbery bitterness at the close, but sweet apples and sour apples ride long into the finish.
This packs a decent amount of CO2 up front, but is dies over time, leaving a tacky, semi-cloying glass of semi-cider.
This is more for the malternative crowd, and while it delivers what's promised, I wish they would have lied and sneaked more beer into this. I'm struggling to get to the bottom of this glass.
But if you can't get enough apple juice, here is your "beer" of choice.

10-30-2008 08:09:09 | More by cokes
Soneast

2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a yellowish-orange color with a small fizzy head that receded as soon as it appears, leaving no lace on the glass.

The aroma has some green fruit scents to it, obviously apples, maybe some green grapes with a mild malt character and a touch of spices.

The flavor initially consists of a nice tart apple component but that is ruined pretty quickly by a harsh, almost metallic background finishing quite bitter for an apple ale.

Light bodied and moderate carbonation, I was hoping Furthermore would crank out a good apple ale, but truthfully it felt a bit muddled and while the apple flavors are there, they are unrefined and harsh. On that note, I find most apple ales to be pretty sub-standard so that is no surprise to me. You want a fruit beer you go to New Glarus Brewing Co. (and their Apple Ale was sublime).

11-04-2009 14:22:23 | More by Soneast
MMAJYK

Georgia

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

A- Golden bronze in color. Transparent. Head is 1/4" and fairly soft; not rocky at all.

S- Green apples dominate the nose with lighter malt aromas. I cannot detect any hops.

T- Sour green apples dominate again with nothing else to balance. Very one dimensional and doesnt really seem like a cream ale to me.

M- High carbonation sting and thin. Not very true to style.

D- I am definitely open to trying new beers and I am glad I could experience this one. However, I would not seek this one out.

Special thanks to asmokingoat for this one as part of the Local Beer and Glass BIF.

10-19-2008 21:46:41 | More by MMAJYK
htomsirveaux

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz. bottle tried 22 Feb 2009. Courtesy of R&S, thanks for the opportunity.

Poured in shaker pint glass. Very small off white head has a very brief lifespan. Medium carbonation. Slightly cloudy apple cider color. Aroma is not terribly pleasant, metallic and musty with a faint smell of apples. Tastes slightly better than the aroma, like apples that are on the verge of turning. Musty and tart with a touch of juicy sweetness. Medium body. Moderate alcohol.

Good to try, but no reason to get this again.

02-24-2009 05:30:34 | More by htomsirveaux
BeerFMAndy

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. No date or info.

A - Tons of carbonation bubbles floating through the beautifully clear, crisp golden yellow beer. A one-finger white head lowered fairly fast to a ring and bits of poorly formed lace.

S - Fresh apple basket appears right away but quickly changes to an apple juice aroma with hints at pilsner malts and apple cider spice. Let it sit long enough and it loses all aroma and appeal.

T - Apple juice is hinted at but not with enough fullness to make it a key factor. The result is a lackluster, semi-sweet pale malt flavor with a tart hint.

M - Crisp and light-bodied with full, soda-like carbonation, Fallen Apple has a moderately sweet feel and light tart finish.

D - This beer falls short on all accounts. It needs more of everything. Just one-dimensional and boring for a beer that has the potential to be so much more.

03-23-2010 04:40:35 | More by BeerFMAndy
terrabyte

2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours into a sparkling, bubbling, apple juice color with a small beige head.

Aroma was mostly bread. Is this what apples spells like? Barely.

Flavor is quite creamy with some caramel and crackers. The aftertaste finally brings forth some apple flavors. They're sweet, tangy, and seems to tie a knot in the back of the throat. Just a bit too little, a bit too late.

Mouthfeel is quite carbonated, which adds something refreshing to this light beer, and pairs well with the attempted apple flavors. Slightly syrupy.

Drinkability is fine due to its lightness and light flavors. However, it isn't very intriguing and won't compell you to drink more and more.

I wasn't really paying attention with this beer. It's just everywhere I turn, a late fall release, and when my wife made a comment about it, I decided to get a single. I THOUGHT I was going to get a localized Woodchuck version of Cider Ale. Turns out this is just a beer with apple tendancies. Cream Ale is a decent style category. I was initially disappointed when trying this because I was geared up for some apple cider. After readjusting my expectations, I was still disappointed because the apple flavor isn't very forthcoming.

11-19-2006 01:56:49 | More by terrabyte
brewcrew76

2.93/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Pours clear light brown very similar to apple juice with a finger of white foam that lays on top.

S - Sweet pale malt mixed with corn and tart fresh apples.

T - Tart apple upfront followed by sweet pale malt and a big corn flavor that lingers on the tongue.

M - Light and slightly creamy with a dry finish and a lingering corn flavor.

D - Too much corn, too little apple for my tastes.

03-14-2008 00:36:09 | More by brewcrew76
OWSLEY069

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a clean orange-ish/ yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, like a mellow apple cider. In the taste, mellow apple cider, but not as acidic as cider. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry cider like aftertaste. More a cider than a beer.

02-26-2011 17:52:06 | More by OWSLEY069
feloniousmonk

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Fallen Apple, Cream Ale brewed with Apple Juice, Further Brewing Company, Black River Falls, WI, 12 oz brown bottle.

"Brewed with our favorite season in mind, this blended delicacy is a celebration of falling leaves and falling in love." Aw, sweet.

Clear and tawny red appearance, small to nil for the head. Apple-y.

Nose is tart at first, then comes the apple. A little sweet, a little sour.

Taste: big sour snap at the front, then fading. Pucker, pucker, smack, smack. A little wine-y, cider-ish. The body's thin, though, and I can't find any hops. Maybe I'm not supposed to...it's a cream ale, after all.

I've got a problem. It's too much apple flavor, for me, personally...and not enough any other flavor to make it interesting. Can't finish this very easily. No joy slips through my lips. Bracingly tart, but too thin in the body, with nothing in the finish.
Got to admit that that works fine for some people. Not me. Bit one-dimensional.

Glad I was able to pick up a single of this. Only $1.49 down the drain.

10-10-2007 17:43:26 | More by feloniousmonk
Deuane

2.98/5  rDev -11%

A-Bright, dark golden hued, amber with a medium white head that fades quickly to a thin veil of retention and leaves spotty lace.

S-Lightly sweet buttered biscuit malt with a faint underlying tartness. One really has to inhale deeply to get much from this one. Nice, but it is too light.

T-Biscuit malt sweetness up front with a light sour apple zing in the finish. Semi-dry finish. I was hoping for more apple crispness/tartness and this is more malt forward, sad.

M-Light bodied and too wimpy. It finishes fairly crisp and clean with light residual sweetness. This one needs more body or more crispness to feel "right".

D-Hmmm--I thought/was hoping this would be a lot better than what is. Doesn't really do much for me this is more of a boring cream ale with apple not an apple beer. I think I will use the rest of my bottles to cook pork loins in!

12-09-2009 12:59:27 | More by Deuane

12-24-2011 05:21:58 | More by MsRif
Rifugium

3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

First had: bottle at Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Thanks to Andrew for sharing.

Poured a ambery-orange color, actually kind of reminiscent of a lighter apple juice. Little to no head to speak of, but some little carbonation bubbles here and there. Didn't get too much from the aroma, possibly because I was mainly smelling the cleaning solution of the glass...unless that actually was the beer. But sticking my nose in a little further, I detected just a bit of apple sweetness, surely more juice-like than cider-like. Taste was moderately decent, with light apples, sugar, and pale malts. I didn't really get much of a "cream ale" feel from it, honestly. Pretty light in the mouth, and just a bit filmy. Decent overall and fairly drinkable, but a bit bland and watery for me.

10-30-2011 23:00:09 | More by Rifugium