Three Feet Deep - Furthermore Beer

good

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DaPeculierDane on 11-29-2006)
1.27/5  rDev -65.4%

subsequent bottles have been very disappointing--like drinking cardboard that was doused to put out a chemical fire.

prior impressions (from 2009):

3-4 totally opaque very dark brown. sturdy tan head. leaves a little jagged lace.

4-4.5 dark chocolate brownies, some smokyness, touch of leafy hop. after the initial hit of brownies i'm having trouble .

3.5-4 smoked peat is apparent in the flavor. the beer is dry and not very astringent (had feared it would be overly astringent for some reason). another thing i'm enjoying in the negative is the absence of an overwhelming coffee presence. i suspect they wanted to showcase the peat and so kept the roasted barley to a reasonable level. more chocolate malt would be nice here though.

3.5 body is definitely on the light side, but this is a dry stout so I guess that's ok. the natural carbonation is acceptable.

3.5-4 this is one of the most enjoyable stouts i've had, but could use a little more something--chocolate malt, dextrins, something.

1.33/5  rDev -63.8%

I might have let this beer go, but it was so bad I had to tell someone.
Into the glass a nice black pour, but a disappointing ghost white head.
Aroma is smoke malts and that is it, I try and try and I can maybe get some roast out of there, but not much.
Taste, here we go hopefully this will be better than the aroma, Nope. Smoke, smoke, smoke and that is it, I can't get past it far enough to try anything else.
Mouthfell was ok, but it is a stout, it better have a decent feel to it. I choked half of this beer down, let it warm and tried it at different incriment to give it a fair shake. But down the drain it went.

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

A - Black...cool

S - Nutty and fresh with some fruits behind but not really much of a scent

T - Tastes like an oil mixed with dirt. I'd rather eat worm meal off my work boots than drink a full bottle of this earthen torture.

M - The taste kills the feel and it just kind of burns till thankfully discipating quickly

D - Yup.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

A: BLACK. Holy black. With a huge thick head. The head stayed for almost 5 whole minutes.

S: Nuts and alcohol up front. Nuts, coffee, chocolate and honey. Also some grass and wood. Even tho the alcohol is up front, it is pretty appetizing.

T: Smoke, smoke and smoke. Charred wood, charcoal, more smoke. Not yummy. Sorry.

M: It was creamy and smooth, but I can't get the smoke off of my taste buds.

D: Just not for me that's all.

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours dark brown, a deep walnut color. Small khaki head. Chocolate and smoked malt odor. Fairly pedestrian and a little sour smelling. Fizzy, aggressively better in an old coffee grounds way. Too biting and sour with not enough chocolate or malt flavor to back it up. A bit thin on the mouthfeel. I liked the Knot Stock a lot better.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

I always have a lot of expectation for a beer that refuses the penetration of light. This black offering comes from a style I have no experience with: Irish Dry Stout. I've had many stouts but I don't recall a category for either Irish or Dry. I like Russian Imperial stouts and choclate or coffee stouts. I certainly can pick up the "dry" quality of this beer - but the Irish escapes me - perhaps because I am unfamiliar with the style. What was immediately both present, overriding and persistant was the smoke. I've had beers with a hint of smoke, but this was overpowering. Last time I recall that smell was when I was going through very old, musky, burned out, wet wood buildings looking for salvage. Burned out carbon. Because I am not a fan of smokey flavors (other than from those of beef & pork briskets) - and I have had many "winter beers" favoring this smoke characteristic -I have yet to have one that I would ask for by name. Again - just not a fan - for those who like this characteristic - kudos. The appearance was very promising, the mouthfeel right on but the flavor too smokey.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

poured from a 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date.
Pitch black, no glowing, all black. 2 finger fizzy cola like off white head. Mild thin drapes of lace, no retention.
Smell is rich and malty with hints of smoke.

Taste is smokey with chocolate malt. Overcarbonated with more cola likeness in the mouthfeel. Overall not impressed.

More lace, less cola character, less carbonation. Maybe some oats to thicken things up?
Otherwise, this is not worth trying.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

A-Pours a nice opaque black with a modest brown head and nice lacing.

S-Dominant smell of peat, very smokey and roasted.

T-A lot of bitterness and peat smokiness. Not bad, but I am not a big fan.

M-A little thin even for the style, I think.

D-One is about enough for me.

HV

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into my Bruery snifter from a 12 oz. bottle.

Very dark brown with a hint of red near the edges of the glass. Two fingers of quickly-dissipating light tan head.

Really smoky aroma, with a hint of peaty malt. The smoke is so strong it's hard to smell anything else.

The aroma doesn't lie. This beer is a roasty smokebomb. Nice peaty smoke flavor that tapers into a bitter coffee malt flavor. Something else interesting in there too. Maybe smoked fruit? Or smoked fish? Did I just taste smoked fish in my beer?

Thin, dry mouthfeel.

Overall this is a really interesting beer. I didn't realize how smoky it was going to be until I first smelled it. Smoke beers aren't my favorite, but this one had a nice sweet balance to it. Then came the fish.

Drinking this beer reminds me of sitting around a campfire roasting fresh fish and tart apples. A very interesting beer indeed.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

This was a tough one to judge due to the description. I tried to take the bourbon idea in to account - but could not get past the strange upfront...what...soap...no...just a plain odd taste. I can appreciate a good bourbon infused flavor - so many examples in WI - Tyranena for example...the flavor I'm getting is not bourbon.

That flavor was not evident in nose. At times late - it was ok.

Doesn't do it for me.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured a deep dark black with a creamy tan head.

The smell is dominated by peaty goodness with minor black malt smells creeping through.

The flavor is very light for a stout, minor notes of black patent and chocolate come through with the big peat smokiness quickly dominating the overall flavor. Has a stange tartness in the finish.

The mouthfeel is light and dry.

I really like Peat beer, but I found this to be a bit one dimensional and relying on the peat a bit to much, plus has a bit of and off flavor in the finish.

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle from France 44 in Minneapolis

A: jet black ale witha creamy light brown head that builds to about an inch thick and lingers before falling

S: light smoke, definate peat, not much malt at all, and no real hop aroma. Some buttery diacytl smell as well.

T: Light malt and smooth with a light smoke and peat. Not aggressive at all, but just present. Slickness from diactyl.

M: Light in the mouth. Irish Stout, so a little lighter is to be expected but this seems a bit watery.

D: Easy and smooth, but a bit thin.

Overall: The beer looks great in the class but doesn't seem to deliver. Decent beer, but a bit thin, lacks aggressiveness, and seems to have a brewing flaw, though nothing I'm not going to finish and enjoy.

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

A- Pours a black color with a thin tan head. Head is gone fairly quick and becomes a very thin cap. Thin lacing is left behind.

S- Quite a bit of smoke, peat roasted malts and a touch of chocolate.

T- Pretty good amount of smoke, roasted malts, bakers chocolate and stale coffee.

M- Lighter side of medium in body and on the lower end in carbonation.

O- Ok at best not my favorite style.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer pours out as a deep brownish black color. The head was a light fan color. The lacing was pretty good at first then it trailed off in the end. The smell of some smoke and earth, a little roasted malt in there too. The taste is roasted and has a light creaminess to it. The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than expected. It's a decent stout but it wouldn't make menrun out of my way for more.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer pours an inky black with a plentiful dark tan head. Aroma is of chocolate, and little else. Flavor is light meaty smokiness (like a ham?) which reminded me of an O'Fallon Smoked Porter I had awhile back. Very interesting. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but this beer is still fairly drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Pours deep brown/black with two fingers of tan head. Head has good persistance and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Quite a bit of smoke up front in the aroma. Underneath the smoke comes some roasted malts and chocolate.

T - Smoke is again up front in the taste,but more balanced by roasted malt than in the aroma. A slight unpleasant acidic taste. Finish is quite smoky.

M - Light mouthfeel that finishes with a dry char feel.

O - This was okay, but I wouldn't get it again. The unpleasant acidity and char presence detract from the pleasant aspects of this smoked stout.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Furthermore...never heard of them; furthermore, I certainly wanted to try the stout. Seemed like a good after dinner drink; furthermore, what the heck...why not. The was a deep rich dark beer, with creamy head. The scent gave way a sweet malt with roasty undertones. The taste was a little lacking to me...I want stouts that are fuller in body....sort of like chewy the beer!! Furthermore, the beer was very sweet...not to my liking. The mothfeel was fine, but a little too much going on....but nothing solid going on....futhermore, it is worth a try.

Three Feet Deep from Furthermore Beer