Oscura - Furthermore Beer

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerBelcher on 08-04-2008)

wallrock, Nov 23, 2011

TimRasmussen, May 29, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +24%

On tap at The Old Fashioned, Madison, WI.

A-Bright, clear, amber/copper, with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin cap. Head left behind decent lace.

S-Quality, dark roasted coffee and well...maybe a touch of herbal hops but.... To be honest this one is ALL about the coffee.

T-Hold on, I got this one--COFFEE! Big, bold and roasty dark coffee simply overwhelms the palate. With a bit of searching one does discover a supportive sweet caramel/biscuit malt component and a touch of herbal hops.

M-Medium bodied and quite sharp/crisp but it's also smooth. LONG lingering coffee flavours with only a touch of bitterness.

D-Wow...wasn't sure what to expect with this one but it wasn't this. I have liked other Furthermore beers that I have had so I was hoping for something "decent". When I saw--Mexican Amber with coffee I was like huh? But then, the aroma and the flavour--WOW! I am a certified coffee nut and well this beer simply rocked my world. It was like having the best of both worlds at once---coffee and beer! The equivalent of carbonated, alcoholic, iced (well chilled) coffee!

I am sure having this FRESH on tap help a lot--I would bet the bottled version is not as good. I will have to try that experiment as I know this beer is available in PA now.

Deuane, Aug 20, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

I don't know how to rate this against an "American Brown Ale" so I'm rating it against what I would consider the "Coffee/Beer hybrids" out there.

First off, this has the best coffee smell I've had in a beer to date. It smells like coffee, dark roasted coffee. It pours amber, red, not black - and this is a huuuge selling point for me because I'm sick of coffee beers that pour black: The reasoning is that coffee is a dark/malty/biscuity taste and when you pair that with a dark/roasted beer you almost always wind up with just "burnt coffee".

This is not burnt, it is smooth, dark, roasted coffee.

This - is - a - fantastic - coffee - beer.

cadenwhitaker, Aug 02, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

Thanks go out to Packforever1976 for this one
Bottle pored into a snifter produced a finger worth of white head that turned to a thin lace.(wished it stayed a little longer) This of coarse was on top of a clear amber body not what one would expect from a coffee brew.

Aromas of great coffee filled the air and my head. This stuff is awesome in the aroma department just like my morning coffee.

The taste was a welcome change from all the coffee stouts I have been experiencing. The coffee flavor abounded but it was not as heavy in the mouthfeel. This brew was more like what a cup of Joe feels like in your mouth. There is enough sweetness from the malts to keep the bitterness down and keep the flavor enjoyable

A great brew I will gladly seek this one out again. It is easy to drink and much lighter than the coffee stouts so It would be great with a Sunday brunch If you are into coffee brew this one is a must try

joepais, Dec 21, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

12oz single, somewhere in madison

Furthermore kicks major ass - the most underrated brewery around. Any time a new beer is released, i get a little excited to see what new ridiculous liquid they have put in a bottle

The coffee in this sucker was roasted locally by Just Coffee, which is 100% fair trade and delivered around town by bicycle. Check out their shop on East Wilson Street in Madison. This place is awesome and their coffee is the best around. anyways...

appearance: poured into an imperial pint glass, clear amber lager body, creamy beige head with a strong lace left behind. Make no mistake about it, this is not your traditional coffee beer (ie: no porter or stout)

smell: a punch of freshly roasted iced coffee....there is definately a lager buried underneath this with hints of grain and herbal hops hiding beneath the beans

taste: The thing i like about futhermore is their innovation. Knot Stock is a flat out sensational APA dosed with peppercorns. Fallen apple is the only creamy apple cider beer that works, make weight is everything and nothing all at once and fatty boomblatty is the belgian pale no other wisconsin brewery has been able to bottle consistently. Oscura is just another chip off the block. A mexican dark lager drowned in locall roasted coffee beans - talk about a fresh idea! The immediate flavor profile is that of brilliant iced coffee. The beans arent bitter or overly roasty and actually come through extremely smooth. The lager base makes itself known in the finish with a sweet grainy finish and a mild hop presence. It's just really nice to see coffee in a beer and not combined with bourbon barrels, obscene alcohol, and dark roasty flavors. Well fucking done. There are imperfections in the flavor profile (especially the lager base) but it just seems like the abstractness of the idea overcomes that, thus a 5

mouthfeel: lighter but still creamy - perfect for a fall afternoon (or morning)

drinkability: high

dirtylou, Aug 13, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

Yes - the commercial description nails this - it is like a summer-y coffee beer, in this case based on a dark Mexican-style lager. And I thought it to be perfect for a warm summer day (in my case, walking around in the sun at the WI State Fair). It is roasty and chocolate-y, with a touch of Belgian Dubbel like fruitiness. Mouthfeel was quite refreshing and appropriate for a beer that is both supposed to be refreshing and extremely flavorful. It isn't sticky and thick - it is light and a bit thinner than a coffee stout might be. I was really impressed with this beer; I thought it was summer beer and the most impressive summer seasonal I've had in recent memory.

I had a really had time classifying this beer using the BA styles listed - as a dark lager with coffee added and then heavily hopped, it is a style-bender. I think that is a testimony to the uniqueness of this beer.

I would highly recommend this beer. I had this on-tap at the Benno's beer tent at the WI State Fair.

BeerBelcher, Aug 04, 2008

cnbrown313, Apr 25, 2013

martyl1000, Jan 12, 2012

greg4579, Jan 13, 2012

EGolfer4, May 03, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer pours a deep amber-brown color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes into nice lacing. The aroma is of bitter coffee grounds, with hints of caramel, and lots of piney hops. The taste has a little less coffee than the aroma, but it is still very much there. There is more hops, and a nice malt backbone. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a velvety texture, and lively carbonation. Overall, this is one of the oddest beers I have yet tasted, and I like it. It would be perfect if I were in the mood for a coffee beer, but not something as heavy as most coffee stouts are. I will certainly drink this again.

KarlHungus, Sep 04, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

this was a plesant suprise, this was the lightest color coffiee beer that i have run acros so i dident have much hope for this one. to my suprise the coffiee flavor is exceptional in this one and is in purfict ballance with a robust amber lager, i couldent put this one down, it was bitter, slght bits of carmal and sour notes and had me beging for more. i need to get more of these for sure

orcasteve, Oct 08, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Found this while wandering through Jenny St. Market looking for interesting beers. Hadn't heard anything about this one and I like coffee beers so I thought I'd give it a shot. Guess I found my interesting beer!
A-Pours a very nice looking transparent medium brown/dark amber color with a nice 1" pale cream, nearly white, foam head.
S-Mmmmm, a very nice coffee smell with hints of chocolate. Sweet roasted grains/malt hide in the background.
T-One of the most interesting brews I've had in awhile. Coffee is the main focus, but it's in no way overpowering. And this seems to be different than most coffee beers in that it's not a extremely roasty coffee. I'm finding it hard to describe, but I like it. There's a pleasant sweetness midway through my sip with chocolate and caramel lingering throughout the taste and it finishes with a mild coffee and hops? bitterness. Very nice!
M-Excellent mouthfeel. This is not a thick chewy stout, but rather a lighter feeling but very pleasant thickness. Creamy and smooth going down.
D-Extremely drinkable! This one fits in nice anywhere from a hot summer day to a cool fall football game afternoon. Alcohol is low enough to allow you to easily have several if you so desire.
I haven't been a big fan of Furthermore's beers for some reason. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't matter. This one is a home-run winner in my book. Unique, tasty and extremely drinkable. I'll be buying much more of this!

EliteDigger, Aug 12, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

This is an extremely underrated beer in my opinion. Very original, using a mexican lager recipe and modifying it to make it a steam beer. Then through in just the right amount of great coffee. This beer defies normal conventions that coffee beers need to be heavy and black.
Appearance: Amber colored with a full finger of slightly sandy colored head.
Smell: Freshly ground coffee. This is the only beer that I have tried to ever smell like FRESH coffee. Not only that, I can pick up the nuances of what should be in a Nicaraguan dark roasted coffee. Peppery, dark chocolate with just a hint of malts coming through.
Taste: The light bodied nature of the steam beer is perfectly paired with medium bodied coffee taste. This is most definitely a coffee beer. But the flavor is vivid but balanced. Again if you like coffee, get this beer. The best coffee taste in any beer I have had. Normally you get a one or two day old brewed coffee flavor even in highly acclaimed coffee beers. Nope this stuff has been freshly brewed it tastes like.
Mouthfeel: This beer has great carbonation. Really I can't think of anything this beer does not do well.
Overall: Get this beer. Its different from what you would expect. If you like coffee bender, this stuff is better in every way.

Miketwolf21, Mar 16, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Pours a wonderful amber hue with a tall creamy off white head. Excellent retention with chunks of lace.

S: Tons of fresh bold roasted coffee, like Dunkin Donuts in the morning. Light lactic quality, but coffee dominates.

T: Wonderful fresh coffee flavor. Tons of fresh roasted coffee. Wonderful coffee bitterness without the acid you usually pick up in many of these beers. Lots of sweet caramel lays beneath. I get a bit of cream as well.

M: Medium in body, great carbonation, smooth, and tasty.

D: Crazy Good. I love coffee beers to to be honest this one is as drinkable as they come. The best non stout coffee beer for sure!

Big Thanks to Beerisheaven for this one.

tpd975, Sep 07, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Clear copper-brown, decent head.

Smells exactly like coffee. The slightest hint of general lager beer smell keeps it honest.

Huge coffee element to the taste, smoothed out and blended into a malty lager. Intriguing and well balanced.

Mouthfeel crisp and smooth.

This beer smells more like coffee (and looks less like coffee) than any coffee beer I've ever seen. I guess I'm used to coffee flavors in stouts and such. But it was very creative and quite drinkable. I must sample other Furthermore brews.

Strix, Jun 14, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

This is just a wonderful beer. It pours a rich head to the point where you must stop pouring lest it over flows the pint glass.

It's a darker beer then a brown but not BLACK like I was (for some reason) expecting. Maybe a dark copper??

The aroma is rich but not as strong as I thought it might be. coffee mixed with malt (surprise) and add a little chocolate??

The mouthfeel is like petting a cat. soft, velvety rich. it MAKES you notice and anticapate the taste. really, the mouthfeel is so nice you feel before tasting. It's not chewy but actually medium bodied.

Flavor is is not as complex as I was thinking but when is there is really nice. Roasted coffee with a little chocolate.

But what surprised me was once the beer leaves your mouth there is a WONDERFUL after taste. This is where the beer comes alive, once it leaves your mouth and it leaves you wanting more.

this beer must be drunken warm.

Grinder, Sep 02, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

Semi-dark, glowing amber, lightly hazed, with thin foam atop. Carbonation is not too lively. The smell is dominant with roasted coffee notes. It's like smelling a fresh cup of coffee but its cold. Very nice but not much of any other character coming through.

The coffee roast comes through nicely in the flavor but is also balanced by subtle tangy fruit. The finish has a decent-sized bitterness. The mouthfeel is fairly light, with fine, sharp bubbles.

The overall drinkablility is quite nice. I wish I had some more of this beer to share because it was quite interesting. Well done... thanks to asmokingoat for sending me this bottle...

bennetj17, Aug 25, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a tulip pint: Deep amber, kind of copper body, transparent, with two fingers of tight, medium-beige head that falls to a fingers but retains a nice cap. Nice wash of lacing.

Nice smell of roast coffee beans, some peppery spiciness, & a little note of hop green around the edges.

Taste is -- yeah, yeah, good stuff. Leads with a little snap, then that smooth, roasted, nutty coffee flavors roll in, accompanied by a little malty sweetness & balance out by hops. This is really nice -- I like big coffee beers, but I also like a session-ish beer that can handle the rich, bold flavors of it without the coffee becoming overly bitter or astringent. Really good stuff. After is very pleasantly bitter & bready, again with the coffee flavor showcased very well.

Starts off with a little bite, a little flinty, but then turns velvety smooth & creamy. It's like I can actually feel it transforming in my mouth, very nice. Again, I'm impressed that the coffee presence is assertive enough that it sticks without becoming grating & abrasive. Well done.

Was not expecting a whole lot from this little number, but I've got to say I'm really impressed. Great taste, great feel, & I don't foresee getting too messed up from a few of these. Definitely a winner.

OneDropSoup, Oct 02, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a brownish dulled copper color with small cap of off-white head, leaving little lacing. Scent is of fresh medium roasted coffee beans and only a faint touch of grassy hops and carmely malts. Taste is once again a cool, crisp burst of the fresh medium roasted coffee. Very odd having this flavor unclouded by dark roasted malts or chocolate flavors. Very iced-coffee-ish. Pale carmel malts are present and are very light grassy hop touch. Medium bodied, slightly oily. A unique beer... the coffee scent and taste alone makes this, only some faint muddled, earthy charachteristics cloudy it.

rfgetz, Jun 01, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

This is on the top of the list for coffee infused beers. Very nice head bout an inch thick that never went flat nice rich hops light, the coffee in this beer is just overall delicious. Not acidic like alot of coffee beers taste like. It didn't last long it was too easy to drink and went down nice and smooth. Ill easily be picking this one up again.

storksonm, Aug 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz. bottle purchased in late June (3 and 1/2 months old). I had sampled this beer on a few occasions before I decided to review it. It has always been one of the most unique of my favorite beers.

Appearance: Clear, crisp and bubbly body. A shining Bronze/Amber in color. Pillowy golden-white head or two fingers. The head clings to the glass as it resides.

Aroma: Toasty coffee. Malt sweetness is there. It almost smells like a creamy cup of light roast coffee. Almost coffee candy.

Taste: Very creamy. Nice coffee flavor up front with full toasty and sweet toffee/caramel flavors. There is a nice bitterness here that brings the sweetness down from being too cloying. This has a thick mouth feel, but a high carbonation that keeps it from being too cloying.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy and light enough to go down easy. This robust tasting beer's flavor makes this seem much thicker than actuality.

Drinkability: Very gulpable and not overwhelming in the least. It's moderately low ABV is great if you want to have a few of these on a cool evening.

Overall: I really like this unique take on the style. It is the only coffee fueled steam beer I've ever had. I loved the combo of the traditional steam beer malt bill with the coffee. It created a fascinating profile and one I wish I could get regularly in Boston.

soze47, Oct 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Nice dark orangy casted brown rust, clear with some bubbles flowing within. Small frothy creamed light khaki colored capping of foam sits very well and for good duration. Lacing shelves itself to the glass with lots of small ink blobs.

Aroma is nutty sweet with buttery hints and a well noted crispyness of semi toasty grains and some spent coffee grounds.

Taste is super nice with a great subtle lasting tone of nutty butteryness, toasty cereal grains, and lots of fun and delicately woven notes of bittering chocolate and espresso beans that really make it a fantastic finisher. Everything here is put together very well and balanced in with a remarkable ease and comfort about it.

Feel is about medium with a nice grab of tone and crispened carbonation that helps create the toasty aspects in its character. The finish is long and complexingly awesome with its coffee, chocolate, and nutty notions.

A very nice surprise and treat. Can and will drink lots of this stuff. Yum!

tavernjef, Jun 03, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours into my glass a deep cola brown with good clarity as well. A small white head forms and then quickly falls to bubbles above the brew. Aromas start out with mellow roasted malts and a touch of caramel. The coffee moves in and is quite vibrant with a bit of a chocolate undertone. A bit sweet as well. This does smell like iced coffee!

First sip brings a crisp, mildly roasted malt upfront with a touch of toffee and caramel. Earthy, brewed coffee rolls in with a solid creaminess as well. Flows down with a bit of chocolate and a mellow bitterness to counteract the sweetness. Coffee flavor lingers on. Damn good dark lager here.

Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth. On the lighter side but I find that really enjoyable as most coffee brews tend to be heavy stouts. This one is quite refreshing, while still packing a big coffee punch. Overall, a solid new brew from Furthermore and one I could see drinking a good number of on a hot summer day. Wish I had easier access to this one. Coffee beer lovers -- find this!

orbitalr0x, Aug 31, 2008