Thermo Refur - Furthermore Beer

good

Furthermore Beer visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.10% ABV

(Beer added by: EliteDigger on 02-28-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

InspectorBob, May 20, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

rolltide8425, Feb 25, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

AGED REVIEW

This one has been kept at ambient concrete poured basement temperature in Madison, WI for two years.

Pours out a cloudy burnt sienna with orange highlights and a flash head that leaves behind no lacing. Lighter side of medium body, light carbonation levels, dry crisp finish.

It still has a surprisingly strong aroma of cracked black pepper and sweet beets with a side of dill, rosemary, sage, and other savory sort of herbal notes. But compared to the nasal skull explosion of black pepper it had fresh, aging it two years has been just the thing to get it mellowed it down from "too much of a good thing" to "the right amount of a good thing." As it warms up it gains a subtle background bloody mary tomato and chili / lemon-lime peel aroma that blends well with a small amount of yeast phenols. As a fresh beer, none of these elements were allowed to truly shine over the pepper. As an aged beer, it smells amazing.

It tastes of a rather challenging level of leathery Belgian phenolics that wasn't as apparent in the nose, combined with that time-softened pepperpot sting that gradually pulls back from over the top of a bone-dry biscuit-cracker malt remnant with some medium-light cardboard oxidation popping up in the mid-sip alongside lemon peel and a vague vegetal (tomato) ghost in the finish. Where's the beets?

And here is where I realized that I should have checked it somewhere between one and two years, because the sweet spot was probably in that time period. I overshot. It's still drinkable and even pretty tasty, but nearly all of the beet sugar has converted into Brett phenol funkiness, and I wanted to retain a higher level of that beet essence in the flavor than this. The pepper levels are tamed, but the Brett murdered the beet flavor. Even so, it does make an amazing glass of peppery-seasoned sweaty horse saddle for the Brett-lover.

WastingFreetime, Sep 10, 2012

TimRasmussen, May 29, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

bpfrush, Nov 14, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -40.7%

Brought by scubarex to our Epic Chicago Tasting.

A - Brownish red colored beer, little bit purple. Decent sized head with little retention.

S - Wow, talk about a pepper bomb. I like some beets, and I like some pepper, although I've never thought of peppering beets. This smells more like someone tried to beet some pepper and failed.

T - Pepper pepper pepper pepper pepper... get the drift? Of course you do, you're much smarter than I give you credit for. This is just a massive amount of black pepper in this, which I actually like for about 3-4 sips, but then it becomes way too much. The beets are there as a buried backbone.

M - Moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

D - Ouch, I drank some, but then the pepper becomes too much. Interesting experiment, but this didn't work.

AgentZero, Dec 25, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -26.5%

I've enjoyed all the Furthermore beers I've had, and I had no idea this was coming out. Thank you, Joel!

Pinkish red with a dense, off-white head with good retention and nice lacing, this is a pretty good looking beer. The nose is pretty intriguing. The beets are immediately noticeable. Sweet, sugary and definitely beet-like, there's also a touch of pepper. There's a definite rose water present, and the entire package reminds me of rooh afza.

The palate opens with an intense beet flavor, super strong and almost astringent, as well as with some alcohol. Again, the rose water and rooh afza/ faluda-like. The pepper character is light, and hardly noticeable over the intense beet character. The finish has a blend of sweet beets and rose water with a touch of pepper. The alcohol is quite noticeable too, and is not particularly well-integrated. Drying, this beer has a medium-light body and is moderately carbonated. Unique but not particularly enjoyable.

DefenCorps, Sep 13, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Brought to our epic tasting...Pours a light carbonated red that is pretty foamy with lots of retention...The aroma and taste on this are all one thing BLACK PEPPER and the strong pepper you have ever smelled at that. You cannot sniff this for more than a second or take a big sip without almost gagging. There were 10 of us and we coudln't drink more than half the bottle.

Pepper bomb that needs to have production stopped.

jrallen34, Aug 04, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

12 oz bottle in a snifter. "Serve in a snifter or wine glass at 55° F" no date.

A - Refur pours out a brilliant clear red copper color with an off-white low but persistent foamy head. Moderate retention ended up leaving the head in a film of bubbles with no lace.

S - The red beets and black pepper certainly give the olfactory senses a rude awakening! Spicy pepper overshadows everything with a glorious "Bruery-like" scent that's unexpected. The beets add an odd but good vegetal aroma that subtly pokes out between the pepper. Toasted caramel malts and mild hops hide in the background of the spiciness.

T - Red beet flavor takes a shocking turn as it overwhelms both the pepper as well as the malty beer flavor. It's far too powerful as it elevates the nice vegetal hint in the nose to astronomical heights. Malts are all but lost offering only a sliver of toasted bread up.

M - Dry astringency bombards the mouth with an unwelcome "green" vegetable feel and sour finish. Otherwise it weighs in with a medium body and a crisp carbonation finish.

D - This turned disappointing quickly. The nose didn't predict what the flavor had going on at all and it's unique taste that first took me by surprise now grows to be off-putting. I applaud their ingenuity with the red beets but they seem to only effect the appearance of the beer positively.

BeerFMAndy, Jul 05, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -10.8%

A. Hazy amber to light orange appearance with a substantial off white head. Fades rather quickly to a skim and leaves spotty lacing.

S. Funky sweet spiced berry nose - lots going on here with a nice play of sweet and spicy battling it out. Very unique and looking forward to a sip.

T. Geez, this takes a nose dive in the taste department. Pepper and more pepper - nothing really carries over from the nose (if its there it is buried below the pepper). There is some light closing bitterness once the pepper subsides.

M. Medium bodied with low carbonation. No complaints here.

D. This beer could have been killer if the pepper where balanced against some fruit and malt. Tough to finish even 12 ounces of this stuff. Unique creation from Furthermore that I am glad to have tried.

bound4er, Jun 16, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -27.9%

My grandfather used to pour Pabst into a frosty mug, crack a raw egg on top, and then toss in a dash of pepper. He drank it because he said "it puts lead in your pencil". At the time, I didn't understand what that meant. Actually, I still don't understand...

When I saw that this beer was brewed with Beets and Black Pepper, I thought "that sounds awful". So, of course, I had to try a bottle! I'm happy to report that this meets expectations.

The black pepper is too hard on the palate and dominates the flavor. The beets seem only to add color. Not much more to say...

In all, this is not a "flawed" beer. It's just that the whole does not surpass the sum of it's parts. There was never a reason for me to believe that these flavors would go well together in a beer. It was a worthy experiment, however, so it is appropriate to grade it with at least an average score.

Unlike my grandfather, I just don't like the dominance of the black pepper in this beer (or any beer). I drained-poured the second half. It was fun to try, though.

PrinceDarren, May 20, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -41.6%

I love beets. I love pepper. I love beer. Mix all three together and it is a match made in heaven right?

Wrong. Smells tempting and looks inviting enough, but the pepper component dominates the taste and is bitter to boot. I could barely put down half a glass, and the remainder is sitting in my fridge likely awaiting a drain pour.

Creative enough idea, but the execution is not for me. Take away the pepper, and I may be interested again. You can certainly smell the beets, which would have been fun to taste as well.

jwjon1, Apr 17, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

12 oz into a goblet

A - Pours a deep dark brown to red color - almost beet colored. Appears bottle fermented as I stirred up some yeast. Certainly opaque, very carbonated. Head was strong, but broke down to a film quickly.

S - Very spicy - as the label says, black pepper. Some of that sour beet smell does come through. Very interesting.

T - Starts off with a light vegetable sweetness and some peppery notes. Mid-stream gets more peppery, some phenolic tones come through. Finishes with a very strong potent black pepper flavor - tour grabbing as if straight out of a grinder.

M - Moderate beer body, but a very strong carbonation backbone. Stinging to the palette. Leaves behind an odd oily texture.

D - I can't call this drinkable. This peppery flavor is just wearing me down. The abv is a bit too potent. A hair filling.

This is one odd cat.

katan, Mar 26, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance: pours a cloudy reddish light brown color with a short 1/4" head. No lace develops.

Smell: sourness, pepper, and a bit of fruit-like sweetness comes through.

Taste: pepper is a bit strong here as the beets provide an almost fruit like sweetness and there is a mild yeast tone. There is a mild sourness throughout and a mellow bitterness wrapping it up.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Smooth and dry throughout.

Drinkabiltiy: this was a one glass beer but a very interesting flavored one. Personally I thought it was a bit all over the place, but I don't regret ordering it.

Gavage, Mar 18, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Deep red with pink hues and a off white head.

S - Slightly funky and earthy with fresh beets from the garden and pepper.

T - A bit of funk with fresh beets. Earthy with a spicy pepper finish.

M - Medium body with good carbonation and a linger beet sweetness.

D - One of the strangest beers I have ever had. No idea it was 8.1% abv. I hate beets and this is very intriguing that I really enjoy although it is going down slow. A 5 for creativity. Can't wait for future strange beers from Furthermore.

brewcrew76, Mar 08, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +2%

Bottle received as an extra in a trade at least 6 months ago. It's been sitting in the refrigerator the whole time and I haven't had the desire to crack the brew until now.

Appearance: Pours a nice slightly hazy red brown to garnet with a massive light brown crown that shows loads of retention and lace.

Smell: Wow this is different from any other brew I have ever smelled. Earthy, with red beets, and a vergitable quality and a slightly menthol like note.

Taste: Lots of vegetable green-ness along with a slightly bitter acrid quality. Very yeasty and beet like.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and despite the massive head, the body seems a touch undercarbonated.

Drinkability: Couldn't pay me to keep drinking this.

koopa, Nov 25, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

Its ok but not really my cup of tea. Appearance is decent, red in color with some slight head, and no lacing. Smell is decent with some vegetableness and a slight amount of hops. Taste is not that great to me, very beety, I've had a lot of vege/fruit beers that I enjoyed more than this. Mouthfeel is alright, medium in body, some carbonation. Drinkability is alright.

supercolter, Sep 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +23.9%

Picked up a single of this last time I was in Wisco. Pours into my glass an extremely deep garnet red not unlike some borscht I've had before. A big creamy off white head with a pink highlight to it. Aromas start off with black pepper spiciness tickling the nose. Earthy, vegetal scents mix in. Kinda smells like the beets were just picked out of the ground. Sweetness underneath with a bit of a funky twist.

First sip brings a bold upfront entanglement of earthy distinct beet flavors and heavy handed black pepper. A nice sweet dark maltiness run throughout. It moves down with a bit of a sour twang with yeast esters and a nice kick of hops as well. Pepper lingers in the back of the throat. This one opens up more as it warms as well. I found it interesting, original and tasty, albeit I do love pepper beers.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a big blast of fast moving carbonation that makes it champagne like as it flows down. Overall, I can't help but enjoy the bold peppery aspect this beer has and that fact that it's just weird...but somehow very tasty at the same time. I'm very glad I picked this up and wish I would have grabbed another. I hope Furthermore does something like this again.

orbitalr0x, Sep 01, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +4%

I had this in the back of my fridge for a month or so.

I was intrigued by the beets. Sweet, earthy, and red. All interesting things for beer.

Pours out a massive head of foam. High carbonation visible with the Sam Adam's glass. Smells peppery and earthy or musty. Like pink peppercorns.
Dark brown color.

Sweet. Dry and tangy. Kinda weird. Is this Belgian inspired?
Has a bitter vegetal aspect with up front fruitiness of some kind. Long heat from some black pepper capsaicin. Caramelized sugar.

This is clearly weird as hell. No wonder no one likes it.

It's too fizzy. And with the clumsy flavors and hot pepper it is hard to enjoy.

I like the idea. I like the beer, but I can't recommend people drinking it who have well developed tastes or don't like Belgian beers.

Dotcubed, Jul 17, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

This is how we ended our little session, and I feel I am glad I did as it might not have worked earlier in the night. Let this one warm up a bit per the instructions on the bottle before splitting it into two wine glasses.

The pour was wrong. Way over carbonated with most of it losing out to the insane amount of foam on top. I had to go through five or six pours just to get the whole contents out, but once I did a brown colored liquid was left in the glass with foam all over the glass. Odd aroma, light fruit maybe, definite pepper here and a touch of some light caramel perhaps. But then I take a taste, hmm. Pepper all over the one for sure. Prickly on the tongue with a fiery finish. What I am assuming is the beats comes off more like a light grape or plum note that is drown out by loads of malt and that rouugh pepper note. Hard to drink too much of it as it really starts to get to you on the finsih..

Overall anything with pepper or chilis can be a mixed bag to say the least and no exception here. Not that this was bad persay, it was just lost i think. Carbonation issues killed it in the front and a bad mix of flavors in the end.

mikesgroove, Jul 12, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -3.1%

Foud a bottle buried in my beer fridge as a result of a DLD trade. Oops. Poured a hazy dark brown with a ton of head, like half of my glass. Once the head settledI tried it and was kind of surprised at the intense set of flavors. Initially it tastes almost like a kind of off bock. There is an earthy beet-like taste that hops up quickly and then fades to the background. The aftertaste is what gets me. A little peppery spiciness, but also the salty quality I get when I drink a good baltic porter. It goes down easy for a high abv, but the craziness of the flavors blows me out of the water and makes it harder to appreciate. Still glad I got to try it.

degerbah, Jun 27, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

There were only two ways to pour this, to get insane, gusheresque head, or get no head at all. The appearance is the same I get out of homebrews that haven't gotten secondary fermentation, filtering, or any clearing agents. Aka, cloudy.

The smell reminds me of cold soup broth, lots of spicy and peppery smells. Close to a baltic porter in terms of spice.

The taste....well....it certainly has it. It's spicy, peppery, but also wheaty.

Overall, this beer is an interesting new take on a beer style but it seems almost like odd for oddness sake, and not as an improvement on beer as a whole.

mwa423, Jun 27, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +7.7%

I poured this from a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a dark reddish brown color with a ridiculous off-white head. Seriously, maybe I just got caught off guard, but at fridge temp, this thing produced 1/2" of beer and the rest of the glass sheer rocky foam on initial pour. Once the foam settled, there was a very active carbonation release througout and a few streaks of sticky lace left behind.

A= The arome profile was an interesting blend of sweet and peppery spice. Some yeast funk also in there for sure.

T= Started off sweet, but a different sort of sweet than "normally" found in ale...I guess that's the beet sugar. The pepper really took center stage through most of the flavor journey. I love black pepper so this was a very interesting thing for me to encounter. Finish was spicy and a bit tart, with said tartness quite possibly coming from some funky/wild yeast component.

MF= Medium bodied with a super high carbonation level. Felt "foamy".

D= This beer was like a liquid dare that went down pretty fine! Seriously, the peppery notes were extraordinary, but the odd "beetsugar" sweetness was a bit out there. Overall, an interesting beer I am glad I tried but would probably not go out of my way to drink again.

spointon, Jun 19, 2009

Received as an extra in a trade with eyncognito. Thanks!

Poured into a snifter. The beer is dark ruby and crowned with a large pillowy beige head that fades after two minutes. There's just a little lacing left on the glass.

The aroma is pretty interesting. It's peppery, spicy, and sugary, with some Brett that imparts mustiness. I don't know that I could have picked out the beet juice without having read the description, but it's noticeable now that I'm aware of it. Beet juice sounds pretty disgusting, I know, but it's subtle and actually complimentary. The sugar character becomes more candied as the beer warms past 55 degrees. Earthy hops are noticeable.

The flavor is very spicy up front, with notes of black pepper, segueing into dry and subtle Brett funkiness. Once again the beet juice is present, and once again it's pretty good. Dried fruits are evident, mainly banana and apple. The malt has notes of caramel underneath the candied sugar sweetness. The bitterness is at a low-medium level in the finish. The finish leaves my mouth completely dry.

The beer is medium bodied and I dig the high level of carbonation. This beer is very flavorful and definitely a sipper.

HopHead84, Jun 09, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: thick three-finger malted milkshake head floats atop a deep brown ale painted heavily with beet-red hues, the cap settles down to a full frothy coating and persists throughout

s: what strikes me first is the current of delicate brett sourness and wet hay funk, soft but assertive, and nearly identical to that found in Orval - though the beer underneath is quite different but equally or perhaps more complimentary, the malt is hard to describe - not quite fruity and not quite toasty - perhaps some combination of dried cherry and woodiness, and carrying a not-too-subtle flavor of raw freshly dug beets and a cracked pepper spice, some banana esters and brown sugar flit around as it warms, absolutely love this beer already

m: carbonation appropriately on the full side, with a body riding the light-medium line

t: malt body of woody dried tree fruits with a pale underside carries a farmhouse funk of rain soaked hay that gives a moderate sourness, dry all through - oxidized red wines, beet influence somewhat subtle but present in the crisp form of the uncooked root, the fresh pepper adds a graceful note of spice that's very well matched with the brett, finishes with a combination of funk and spicy dryness that just begs for another sip

d: by far my favorite of Furthermore's cutting-edge and disgracefully under-appreciated line to date, drinks more like a Belgian of modest abv, though the impact soon catches up, I'm a beet lover was initially attracted to this beer for that reason - but it turned out to be so much more than that

went pretty well with some aged gouda...single from the dirtman, bring me another dawg

4/14/2010 - highly carbonated, nearly a gusher, still a nice blend of funk and pepper, completely dry - somethings been going on in there, nose still exceptional - beet root and peppery with loads of hay, tons of brett here and on the tongue, really smacks the tongue hard, tart and lovely

blackie, Jun 09, 2009