Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

This sessionable pumpkin ale is brewed with fresh pumpkin and seasonal spices.

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 10-25-2006)
2.15/5  rDev -35.6%

With the weather cooling and a freshly deposited paycheck, I visited my local beer store today and picked up a wide variety of seasonal beers. I'd never seen or heard of this one, and I figured, what the hell?

Big mistake.

Appearance: This beer pours a decent orange-ish amber color. I couldn't generate much head, even with a fairly aggressive pour. What little head it did produce (about a half-finger) disappeared almost immediately.

Smell: I detect a faint pumpkin-ish aroma, and a hint of either nutmeg or cinammon. But it's too faint to pin down.

Taste: What a disappointment! Yeah, I can taste the pumpkin, but it tastes...a little bit burnt, maybe? And I mean that in a bad way; I love nice, toasty malts, but those just aren't there with this beer. The prevailing flavors are of VERY mild pumpkin, a nearly imperceptible hint of spice, and...soapy water. Not good.

Mouthfeel: VERY little carbonation, and an absurdly light body. It's almost a vaguely pumpkin-flavored tonic water, minus most of the bubbles. Except it's oddly slippery, with essentially no body or heft.

Drinkability: I wasted money on a six-pack I'd never heard of. I'm tempted not to finish the first one, and the other five will likely be foisted upon an unsuspecting acquaintance in the near future. I've had worse, but this one's not worth your time.

UGADawgGuy, Sep 27, 2008

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

jbbailey, Today at 12:49 AM
4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

Gkimbo, Today at 10:17 PM

Like the previous reviewer, I thought this beer would be a different, wonderful taste on the bevy of pumpkin beers out there.

It's super one-note, and I don't get why a number of pumpkin beers out there, of course including this one, don't just go very straightforward and try to faithfully mimic what pumpkins taste like-- perhaps I'm looking for a light, creamy, foamy, sweet, pumpkin beer, or a darker, more robust, spiced pumpkin. Either would have fixed this tepid problem. A well-balanced pumpkin beer, with appropriate experimentation (and test audiences) and batches that come out consistent shouldn't be hard for a brewery that has nationwide distribution.

I'm a little disappointed and it's difficult not to show that in this review. It's hoppy, with a smell like pumpkins, but comes off like an amber with almost zero remarkable qualities. Hooray.

ElegantRose, Yesterday at 05:39 AM

KG710, Sunday at 02:19 AM
3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

asuburbanman, Sunday at 12:37 AM
3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Nice pour, dry pumpkin finish. Could be spicier.

akseymour80, Sunday at 12:34 AM

DrDietz, Saturday at 06:25 PM
3.09/5  rDev -7.5%

I've heard people either love this beer or hate it. Let's see if it causes me to vomit like so many BA'ers have implied.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3.5) : Wow, it's the color of pumpkin alright. Dark pumpkin flesh, with a tinge of dark amber. Head is about 2 fingers and looks marshmallowy. Leaves very faint broken rings of lace around the glass.

Smell (4) : It's interesting that I said "marshmallow" because that's what I'm getting here. With some warm, sun-drenched pumpkin, dark spice, nutmeg, cinnamon. A pretty good smell. The bottle gives off a stiff pumpkin smell, overpowering everything else.

Taste (3) : A little sour, a bit bitter, sickly even, but ends like pumpkin pie. I like the aftertaste, but to get to it, I have to endure the ripe bitterness that is the woeful forerunner. Out of the bottle I could argue it tastes like Busch beer with pumpkin spice added. Heck, if Busch made a pumpkin lager (despite that this is an ale) that's what it would taste like. The flavor out of the glass is a little more classy, if only a little. Belches are like fresh carrot. ...Interesting.

Mouthfeel (3) : Pretty carbonated, medium bodied, spiced, ends dry.

Overall (3.09) : I don't quite know what to think of this brew. I think I'd lean more towards the "hate" category, but it's not entirely terrible. I'd say it's a notch above Shock Top's offering which isn't saying much. The taste is mawkish in every sense of the word, until you get to the end where you taste fresh pumpkin pie. I don't think the first part is worth agonizing through just for a pleasant three second aftertaste. It's actually giving me a little heartburn too. Ah, I wouldn't drink this again.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Saturday at 05:56 PM