Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

This sessionable pumpkin ale is brewed with fresh pumpkin and seasonal spices.

(Beer added by: Wasatch on 10-25-2006)
Reviews by emyers:
3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

Reviewed from notes. 12 oz. glass poured into a New Glarus pint glass.

Appearance: Clear orange-amber color with a one-finger creamy white head. The head sticks around for a while and leaves a decent lacing.

Smell: Typical pumpkin pie spices - nutmeg, cinnamon, clove. Not much else comes through in the aroma - maybe some yeast and a little bit of toasted biscuit. Despite the simplicity the pie spices are spot on, and smell delicious without being overwhelming.

Taste: Where did the pumpkin go? The flavor is quite muted, with some caramel, biscuit malt, and a touch of pumpkin pie spices sneaking in. I was expecting more.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. Appropriate carbonation level. Goes down fairly smoothly, but I'd like to see a little more body.

Overall: To put it bluntly, there just isn't enough to this beer. I love what Uinta does with their crooked line series, but outside of the aroma this beer just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Not bad, but definitely forgettable.

emyers, Jan 10, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -35.6%

With the weather cooling and a freshly deposited paycheck, I visited my local beer store today and picked up a wide variety of seasonal beers. I'd never seen or heard of this one, and I figured, what the hell?

Big mistake.

Appearance: This beer pours a decent orange-ish amber color. I couldn't generate much head, even with a fairly aggressive pour. What little head it did produce (about a half-finger) disappeared almost immediately.

Smell: I detect a faint pumpkin-ish aroma, and a hint of either nutmeg or cinammon. But it's too faint to pin down.

Taste: What a disappointment! Yeah, I can taste the pumpkin, but it tastes...a little bit burnt, maybe? And I mean that in a bad way; I love nice, toasty malts, but those just aren't there with this beer. The prevailing flavors are of VERY mild pumpkin, a nearly imperceptible hint of spice, and...soapy water. Not good.

Mouthfeel: VERY little carbonation, and an absurdly light body. It's almost a vaguely pumpkin-flavored tonic water, minus most of the bubbles. Except it's oddly slippery, with essentially no body or heft.

Drinkability: I wasted money on a six-pack I'd never heard of. I'm tempted not to finish the first one, and the other five will likely be foisted upon an unsuspecting acquaintance in the near future. I've had worse, but this one's not worth your time.

UGADawgGuy, Sep 27, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the Mellow in Greensboro.Poured a light orange shade for a pumpkin ale with a fizzy white head atop.Light sweet pie spice in the nose and that was really all,light and fizzy in the mouth with more spice rather than pumpkin flavors.Iam gonna try the imperial pumpkin that Uinta makes,this gets a failing grade in my opinion.

oberon, Sep 27, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

This is maybe the 8th pumpkin beer I have had this season, Southern Tier and DFH being favorites. I see this getting a lot of bad reviews and I am inclined to disagree.
From the start the pour is standard into a Sam Adam's glass(I'm from Boston, what can I say) with an orange glow and a good lasting head if poured right. Proper lacing covers the glass as you drink. The smell is very authentic pumpkin, the same as when you cut open one to carve, and that's the best your going to get with my stuffy nose. Taste is very different that you might expect. I did not like this the first few mouthfuls, but after drinking the hole thing its a very real, maybe closest to real pumpkin without many spices added as any pumpkin beer this season. The taste is smooth, nothing sticks out to much besides the real pumpkin flavor. I would suggest folks buy this beer and drink it with the understanding that it is going to be different than most but in its own style it is a very good pumpkin beer. Would I buy again, YES. But I would not mix this with the other pumpkin beers seeing this one is very different. Not your typical review yes, but I'm not your typical person.

Mac19872, Aug 28, 2011

Tiernan, Aug 23, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

kcc, Feb 25, 2014

The label says Pumpkin Ale but I think this should be renamed as a "Spiced Fall Ale." Drinking this makes me feel like I should be outside on an overcast low 50 degree day among wind blow'n leaves. The color is a rich amber with slow dissipating head white head. Mouthfeel is moderate. Faint notes of pumpkin but more essence of general spices.

BigMarty1980, Aug 23, 2014
2.95/5  rDev -11.7%

12 oz bottle, best by 2/9/13. Pours clear ruby-amber with a medium creamy off white head that goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is mellow pumpkin and spices.

The flavor is vegetal malts with nice spicing - cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. There's a bit of a metallic finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, a decent pumpkin beer. It's a bit mellow, but the spicing is well done.

Beaver13, Oct 05, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

ps6756, Sep 29, 2014

SmellsofMahagony, Sep 28, 2014

Twifiter, Oct 15, 2012
3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

12 ounce bottle from DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY. Comes with best before dating (2/06/13)

Pours light and clear pumpkin hued amber. Moderate tan head. Low sheeting, and decent fields of fine lacing.

Next to nothing on the nose, just minor spice.

Lightly flavored, some pumpkin, some spice. But everything is toned down and its a wee bit watery.

Light fall sessioner kinda brew. Would work for a newbie. Would work for a light fall meal. Cheese, chicken, light fare.

Nothing special, nothing terrible. Easy drinkin.

Billolick, Sep 11, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, orange-brown in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: light pumpkin spice and sweet bready malt

Taste: breadiness, big clove, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice

Mouthfeel: sweet, high carbonation, medium-light bodied

Overall: An enjoyable bready pumpkin beer, nothing mind blowing but above average. I would get this again and could probably do four in a sitting

tigg924, Oct 10, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

Poured into a goblet. Caramel copper in colour, thin head, bit of lace.

Nose is sweet pumpkin, cinnamon, biscuit.

Pretty decent pumpkin beer, it has to be said. The flavor is unmistakably that of pumpkin, and there is a good bit of cinnamon and spice to it. Nothing memorable, but it does the trick.

JohnnyBarman, Nov 25, 2013

lostandwandering, Sep 27, 2013

asuburbanman, Sep 14, 2014

chossboss, Oct 06, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +26.3%

I have been searching for the perfect pumpkin ale for over 15 years. This one comes the closest so far. The deep orange color and burnt pumpkin aroma blew me away. Taste is right on with very little spice, sweetness or hops; its all toasted pumpkin. The reality is that pumpkin has a very mild flavor, and this is as close as it gets. Other pumpkin ales seem to try to achieve a pumpkin pie flavor in a beer by adding to much spices. To me this ale strives to complement pumpkin pie instead of mimicry. Even 15 minutes later I can still taste the burnt pumpkin. With the low ABV I could definitely drink a six pack in one session. I'll be looking forward to Punk'n Ale returning next year.

wattoclone, Oct 02, 2010