Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin AlePunk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Wasatch on 10-25-2006

This sessionable pumpkin ale is brewed with fresh pumpkin and seasonal spices.

1.62/5  rDev -51.4%

Generally with a pumpkin ale I expect a good smell, but this was the worst smelling pumpkin ale I have ever had. The taste was slightly better that the smell, but not by much. The quality of the beer is sub-standard for this style.

It had a good head and even better head retention.

1.79/5  rDev -46.2%

A: very very lagery. Caramely. No head at all and no lace.

S: pumpkin pie....duh. cinnamon. Apples. Bready. Malts. A littlte bit vegetabley.

T: boring!!!! Bland, bland, bland. Malts! Very slight pumpkin pie spices...very slight.

M: thin. Thin. No coat on the tongue and no body at all.

O: what an effing crappy beer.

Dumped it!!!

Thanks jfan??

1.88/5  rDev -43.5%

I was super excited to see this pumpkin ale in NM!!! I would have purchased a case... I am glad that I did not, as purchasing one six pack is 6 beers too many of this dud.

I do not recommend this imposter of a pumpkin ale. I have consumed some of the best pumpkin ales in the land (Southern Tier Pumpking, Post Road Pumpkin, Smuttynose Pumpkin, O' Fallon Pumpkin, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, among others). Now, I have consumed one of the worst pumpkin ales in the land :(

Eye Candy: The only thing going for this beer. Night dark amber with a beautiful creamy off white head. Plenty of rising carbonation. Looks inviting...

The Nose Knows: faint pumpkin, whiff of spices. Astringent grains, odd metallic characteristic.

Tongueland: grainy, cooked vegetable, metallic. Absolutely no mouthfeel at all. Thin and watery.

Bender Factor: at 4 % ABV (who they hey brews a 4 % brew these days) thats a no go. I wouldn't drink more than one of these anyways.

1.99/5  rDev -40.2%

A nice orange color with a decent head after a hard pour. But before I look away, the head quickly shrinks to almost nothing, just a thin trace on top of less the 5% of the surface.

It smells very spiced. I really can't smell any pumpkin. I think the spices are allspice and clove.

After tasting I really wonder if there is any pumpkin in this. The spices are sure there and that is about it. A very slight bitterness is hidding in the back of my throat after swallowing each mouthfull but it doesn't feel like hops to me. It reminds me of soda water or seltzer water. A slight stickness with no flavor. Very disappointed. Not recommended.

This beer feels watery.

Like the previous reviewer, I thought this beer would be a different, wonderful taste on the bevy of pumpkin beers out there.

It's super one-note, and I don't get why a number of pumpkin beers out there, of course including this one, don't just go very straightforward and try to faithfully mimic what pumpkins taste like-- perhaps I'm looking for a light, creamy, foamy, sweet, pumpkin beer, or a darker, more robust, spiced pumpkin. Either would have fixed this tepid problem. A well-balanced pumpkin beer, with appropriate experimentation (and test audiences) and batches that come out consistent shouldn't be hard for a brewery that has nationwide distribution.

I'm a little disappointed and it's difficult not to show that in this review. It's hoppy, with a smell like pumpkins, but comes off like an amber with almost zero remarkable qualities. Hooray.

2.07/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a slightly hazy, dark golden orange color with a one finger, frothy off-white head that quickly settles unto a lasting ring. Sporadic streaks of lacing left behind.

The aroma of this beer has a very strong vegetal presence that clashes a bit with the autumnal spices. I'm not picking up pumpkin pie sweetness, but rather an earthy, pungent character that smells kind of like rot. This is really unpleasant and doesn't compliment the cinnamon, brown sugar and ginger notes. Smells pretty awful.

This beer tastes a bit better than it smells, but not much. Medium bodied with a very earthy, vegetal pumpkin flavor that's countered by earthy hops and zesty spice. Subtle sweetness but reminds me more of squash/harvest flavors without any of the pumpkin puree/pie sweetness that I prefer in the style. There's some earthy hop bitterness along with some nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and clove but something is just off with this beer.

2.16/5  rDev -35.1%

I'm a huge pumpkin ale fan, I typically like Unita's offerings very much, but this one let me down. It lacks that classic pumpkin ale flavor to me. It is devoid of any of the classic spices/flavors that make this style so appealing to me. They may have been going for a more subtle approach, don't know, but overall this has been a HUGE dissapointment for me. I would not buy again.

2.17/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottled on date of 7/29/11, consumed 9/20/11
A- orange/amber, very few carbonation bubbles, little white head that is completely gone fast.
S- I smell the pumpkin spice, some mild hoppiness. Very light scent in general- too light.
T- tastes watered down, light spice flavor, maybe a little nutmeg. Like a grainy alcohol beer that has had some light sweetness added.
M- more carbonated than it appears. Looks flat but isn't. Tastes very diluted in general. Like an american standard macro with some added flavor. Not that great. Won't have it again.

2.18/5  rDev -34.5%

With the weather cooling and a freshly deposited paycheck, I visited my local beer store today and picked up a wide variety of seasonal beers. I'd never seen or heard of this one, and I figured, what the hell?

Big mistake.

Appearance: This beer pours a decent orange-ish amber color. I couldn't generate much head, even with a fairly aggressive pour. What little head it did produce (about a half-finger) disappeared almost immediately.

Smell: I detect a faint pumpkin-ish aroma, and a hint of either nutmeg or cinammon. But it's too faint to pin down.

Taste: What a disappointment! Yeah, I can taste the pumpkin, but it tastes...a little bit burnt, maybe? And I mean that in a bad way; I love nice, toasty malts, but those just aren't there with this beer. The prevailing flavors are of VERY mild pumpkin, a nearly imperceptible hint of spice, and...soapy water. Not good.

Mouthfeel: VERY little carbonation, and an absurdly light body. It's almost a vaguely pumpkin-flavored tonic water, minus most of the bubbles. Except it's oddly slippery, with essentially no body or heft.

Drinkability: I wasted money on a six-pack I'd never heard of. I'm tempted not to finish the first one, and the other five will likely be foisted upon an unsuspecting acquaintance in the near future. I've had worse, but this one's not worth your time.

2.2/5  rDev -33.9%

A new beer with a sexy label, of course I grab a few singles. Lets try this creature, for tomorrow we brew our own pumpkin beers.

Pours a burnt gold, smells lightly of spice, lightly of malt. Taste has a slight bitterness, nothing remarkable. It's a pumpkin golden ale, a beer lacking any definitive feature except mediocrity.

I gave this beer nearly pure 2s, the mark of "not impressed." The lone 3, average, goes to drinkability because this beer would be drinkable if I respected myself all that much less.

2.21/5  rDev -33.6%

I kind of hope I got a bad batch, as I've liked much of what I've tried from Uinta previously. But reading a few of the reviews, I'm not sure.

Appearance: Incredibly bright, with no haze and little particulate. A light amber color. Decent head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Where this beer fell apart for me. Rather than pumpkin pie spices, caramel malt notes, or even a bit of roast that I may have expected from a harvest pumpkin, I got sulfur and that cheesy, old hop aroma, with what was maybe a bit of underlying floral pumpkin aroma.

Taste: Sweet caramel notes first, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices on the finish, but they're very subtle. A little sweet potato flavor is detectable as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium to low carbonation, and a fairly thin body.

Fairly disappointing overall. Definitely would not buy this again, unless someone told worked hard to convince me I got a really bad batch.

2.22/5  rDev -33.3%

Single, twelve-ounce bottle just copped from Gary's in Madison...
First-ever beer from this brewery located in Utah...
Pours a clear, lucid, tawny, copper hue with no head nor lacing at all...
Faint, undetectable, mild aroma with slight hints of allspice...
Taste, likewise, was weak, watered-down, bland, and wholly unassertive...
This light-bodied, poor excuse for a pumpkin ale truly failed to impress...
Not recommended...

2.32/5  rDev -30.3%

orange with a ring of white. smells vaguely of pumpkin pie. very minimal. some clove and cinnamon, fairly meager.
the taste is fairly boring. spice and pumpkin are muted. it's as if i'm drinking a slightly spiced pale that doesn't really have much to it one way or the other.
pretty bare bones, not overall very impressive. slightly sweet aftertaste that lingers on without improvement.

2.39/5  rDev -28.2%

Rolled the dice & bought a sixer of this, what do I have??? bottled on Aug 15 08

Pours amber/copper with 1 finger of cream colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Vegtal & metallic odors, not good, plus a bit of pumpkin pie spice

T: Pumpkin, metallic hops, dryness & astringency up front. More metal & apple skins as this warms, along with slight pumpkin taste. Finishes wet & fruitty

MF: Fizzy with light body & wet

I have 2 questions why did the brewer bother? & What the hell am gonna do with other five beers?, disappointing

2.4/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I was not very impressed with this beer. Thin on the body with little to bring anyone running to find these bottles. Pours a cinnamon amber color with no head to speak of. Aroma is mostly like a weak brown ale/amber ale hybrid with some sourness and slight pumpkin type aromas with hints of nutmeg. A very average beer. In fact, below average for pumpkin beers. Guess I will be giving the final five of these to my wife.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

Purchased this because i really enjoy Hop Nosh from Uinta. Came in with relatively high expectations (given low price) because of this. Very disappointed.

Pour is orangeish-amber, mild head, similar to other good pumpkins.

Smell is very mild, very subtle pumpkin pie spice aroma. Very worrisome for me.

Taste is just not there. No malt at all. Pumpkin/spice notes are so mild, they feel like they are almost there. Aftertaste is strange, almost like I'd expect from a homebrew lager.

There is very little to this beer, it isn't awful but not enjoyable in any way either. I would have drank the rest if nothing else was around, but ended up leaving it at a BBQ. I won't purchase again.

I should point out that I enjoy a good pumpkin ale in the fall and look forward to sampling new ones. This is far from the worst pumpkin I've had.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a brown 12oz bottle - Pours a fairly clear reddish/orange with a slight head and very low carbonation. Smells of sweet species, nutmeg, cloves leading the way, with mild hop presence. First sip is sweet but too sweet. The spice are mellow but there is nothing to write home about. Finishes slightly bitter. Decent mouthfeel that is under carbonated.

2.55/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Definitely an amber ale exactly what i'd expect from a pumpkin ale. Some head is obvious upon the pour but little remains after it dissipates. There is a little bit left on the surface of the beer a while after the pour.

Smell: This is no so much a great smelling beer. I smell a little bit of spices, and not so much many pumpkin. The smell really doesn't impress me very much.

Taste: At first all i can think of is alcohol. There is alot of spice that hits me upon tasting this beer, but almost no pumpkin. This is a bit disappointing.

Mouthfeel: A medium thick beer with medium carbonation. Works in its favor because its been disappointing otherwise.

Overall: Appearance its great, but smell was the first drop and the taste didn't help. If those had anchored this beer, then the mouthfeel would have only help but all in all this is below mediocre.

2.56/5  rDev -23.1%

A - Two plus fingers worth of tightly packed, rocky, light tan fizzy head... Loads of small moderate paced carbonation rise throughout... Impressive retention, especially by Pumpkin Ale standards... A dense orangish copper color with pale straw highlights...

S - Loads of autumn spices hit the nose first... Nutmeg... Cinnamon... Clove... All spice... Ginger snaps... The pumpkin is weak and takes a distant backseat to the spices... Slight floral hints as well...

T - A muted spicy mess... Muted pumpkin... Hint of woody smokiness... The tastes don't linger and quickly dissappear... There is no real aftertaste...

M - Thin and watery... Light to medium bodied... Exceedingly fizzy carbonation on the tongue... All taste and character quickly dissipates...

D - Very disappointing taste and mouthfeel after promising appearance and aroma... Overall a sub par Pumpkin Ale that I would neither recommend or visit again...

Note - Great label design... It's simple and minimalistic, but he orange font pops on the black background on the main label and the opposite color scheme on the neck of the bottle...

2.57/5  rDev -22.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear light golden amber with a finger of fizzy eggshell colored head. This peters down pretty quickly into a thin filmy covering that leaves some equally flimsy lacing behind that readily slides down the sides of the glass. The aroma smells of green floral pumpkin meat, a moderate spice kick, and sticky sweet notes.

The overall taste is tangy and sickly sweet. Sticky malts and pumpkin pie spices that's not offering up much else. Just some very light pumpkin meat and moderate hop bitterness that pull up the back. The mouthfeel is lighter bodied with a bit of a watery feel towards the back of the swallow and a lower carbonation that just isn't helping out the flavors at all.

Too little pumpkin and too much sweetness and spices, this could have used some more balance and definitely more body. This just didn't hold my interest for very long.

2.57/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours light brown, rather clear, a short bubbly head that quickly dissipates, with no lacing whatsoever. Nose is very cinnamon up front, with some background sweets. Taste is also quite spicy in the beginning, but it gradually dissipates into a light cinnamon and light sweet flavor. There is no pumpkin that I can detect. Goes down easy at first, but then becomes rather thin and flat. Doesn't hold up as I would expect.

2.59/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

With Fall comes the pumpkin...

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep, orange-y copper color with plenty of bubbles from the carbonation. A somewhat rough pour only produces about a cm worth of head, and that fades very quickly leaving behind absolutely no lacing.

Smell: A moderate pumpkin-y sweetness mixed in with some spices. The overall smell isn't bad, however it's very faint and subdued.

Taste: Like the smell, an overall sweetness from the pumpkin, but there is some kind of slightly off aftertaste. Not sure if it's from the spices, or possibly a bad bottle...but it ain't good.

Mouthfeel: A bit over-carbonated, but otherwise has a nice medium-full body.

Drinkability: For a pumpkin beer (or any kind of beer for that matter), not so good. Other than the appearance, nothing is really noteworthy about this brew. Smell is subdued, taste is off. Not a total drain pour, but close.

2.63/5  rDev -21%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

S: pumpkin, faint cinnamon and nutmeg.
T: faint spices and pumpkin.
M: pretty light, goes down nicely.

Overall, not too bad, but its definitely not the right choice for someone looking for a more full bodied beer. There was a slight bitterness which was nice, but left more to be desired.

2.66/5  rDev -20.1%

Got a small glass of this at a tasting, probably would have never bought it. Amber color, decent head. Aroma is thick pumpkin purée like you just opened a can of it. Flavor was pumpkin and spice but also dominated by this stale maltiness that reminds me of dog food, specifically the purina factory, yuck.

2.68/5  rDev -19.5%

Aroma is fairly muted compared to others of the style. Some toasted malt, cinnamon and spice with subdued fruitiness.

The taste is fair. Compared to the aroma, the taste is a letdown. There's a brown sugar sweetness at the start, along with some spice. The finish is slightly sour, but there's really nothing going on here. Overall, it's not a very distinctive flavor.

Mouthfeel is very watery with a fair amount of carbonation. Seems more like a lager on the tongue.

Overall, there is nothing special about this pumpkin ale, and there are many others I prefer. Not really a bad beer, but I have no desire to drink another.

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company