Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin AlePunk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Wasatch on 10-25-2006

This sessionable pumpkin ale is brewed with fresh pumpkin and seasonal spices.

4.14/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pumpkin-orange in color. Good clarity. Weakish head retreats to a ring around the glass but adds some attractive lace patches.

Mild grainy aroma, herbal hop, subtle pumpkin.

Malty biscuit flavor, light and buttery. Hint of pumpkin. Hop flavor of herbs, grass and spinach leaves. Well balanced and I really enjoy how the pumpkin flavor is not overpowering.

Light bodied, well carbonated. Crisp, clean finish.

I actually like this beer quite a bit. It doesn't claim to be anything it's not. It's a sessionable ale with pumpkin added. Descent flavor and well balanced. (569 characters)

I poured this beer it has a burnt orange color body with a thick head that hangs out for a while. The smell is faint of spices. The taste is the same way faintnof spices execpt of clove. I don't get any pumpkin flavor. Mouthfeel is flat and overall not that good. (263 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I netted a whole buncha pumpkin beers when they hit the market in late-August (!) and set them aside, awiting the arrival of October. This one strikes me as being from Pixburgh, by way of Utah. I'm drinking a Punk 'n' 'at, yinz jagovs! Git away from my birr. Yinz want some, yinz ga dahn ta Dawnie's cause a he's got a whole bunch, 'n' 'at. Jeez O man, it's tough around iss jernt.

From the bottle: "Earth, Wind and Beer Harvested by Uinta Brewing Co. Salt Lake City Utah"; "For best flavor enjoy in a glass"; "3 % Organic Ingredients"; "Ale Brewed with Pumpkin & Spices".

I went with an aggro pour as there had better not be any lees to get stirred up. The result was two thick fingers of tawny head that slowly fell like an aging heavyweight who just got tagged on the chin by an up and coming opponent. What remained was soft and creamy, like soft serve ice cream. Nose was maltier than the other two offerings this evening, making for a nice change of pace. Color was a deep-copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium and this one struck a nice balance between the "organic pumpkin", the "organic spices" and the "barley malt", giving it a light spiciness, but not overwhelming the malty sweetness that acted as the beer's backbone. I get it. I am an American and we like things that are overamped, but this was a striking contrast to the spice rack receptacles from earlier in the evening. With them, one each was plenty. In this one, the finish was pleasantly semi-dry and not harsh in terms of its inherent spiciness. I would not want a full day of it, but at least I felt like I could drink more than just one. I may lay in a couple/few more for the upcoming holidays. (1,713 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured 6 oz. into snifter glass for review

A- Dark, burnt umber, orange, pumpkin, a little hazy, with nice off white head that rose to an inch and diminished rather quickly

S- Very interesting. I am not getting the typical pumpkin pie aromas but rather a very strong vegetal pumpkin flavor. It smells of pumpkin meat, pumpkin skin, roasted pumpkin and pumpkin seeds. If I get my nose right in there it smells a little sweet, but mostly like I am smelling an actual pumpkin. I am not really sure what to expect...

Note: There was also a unique, yet distinct smell that struck me as familiar but I couldnt put my finger on it. I just went back and it struck me-refried beans!

T- Here is goes. Liquid roasted pumpkin seeds and pumpkin skin/rind. Although, it doesn't sound that appealing, this perhaps may be one of the closest pumpkin ales that I think is true to the early American style...I only say that as I am getting a "traditional" taste-if that makes sense. There are absolutely no spice flavors. It may pair well with Thanksgiving dinner, but not as a dessert beer.

M- The mouthfeel is good. It has some body to it, yet it is fresh and smooth. This is surprisingly drinkable!

O- Typically when I think about pumpkin beers, I usually lean towards thoughts of halloween. Many of the bottles have images of Jack o' lanterns, owls, headless horsemen, and other ghoulish figures associated with Halloween. This beer just screams "harvest" more than anything. Like I said, it seems "traditional" in a way. Even the bottle art is plain and simple. Try this if you get a chance. If anything it is very different. It is like a whole pumpkin in a glass! (1,658 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle was poured into pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a small head that reduced quickly to a thin layer. It is a copper color with good clarity and bubbled seen coming up through the glass.

Smell: Faint pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar, all spice, all spice, clove.

Taste: Same as above with some chewy and pale malts. Sweetness from the brown sugar too.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, sweet, a light smooth, medium to high carbonation, sweet, and light bodied.

Overall: A nice and light alternative to pumpkin beers, but still sweet though. (548 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep bronze color, little lacing is left on the glass. Aroma of pumpkin, caramel and spice. In the taste, mostly malt and pumpkin. A bit more hop influence than many examples of the style, with a hop/spice bite. Nutmeg, all spice and coriander dial in the holiday spices, but faint which makes for an easier drinking beverage. Nice malt and pumpkin flavor. Overall, a solid pumpkin ale. (394 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours hazy orange with no head and minimal lacing.

Smell is spice-forward with cinnamon and nutmeg. Only a trace of pumpkin and an odd scent of dirt on the back end.

Taste is mostly spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Not much pumpkin flavor here. A little citrus on the finish.

Light bodied. Actually a little watery with low carbonation.

A decent pumpkin ale but, there is nothing really special going on here. (419 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

The beer shows a decent amount of head pouring from the bottle, ultimately settling as a quarter inch layer at the top. Lacing is not present. The color is a deep rust color similar to many pumpkin beers.

The smell begins with a strong spice presence, but then a curious vegetable smell emerges. The smell resembles something canned and is not entirely off-putting, but also not entirely appealing.

The taste is the same as the smell, but perhaps with a bit more pumpkin presence. The beer itself is medium body with light carbonation. It is easy to drink certainly.

Overall, the beer would be much more enjoyable without the canned vegetable aspect, as this beer distracts the senses and seems out of place. Okay but not a favorite. (789 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -6.9%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on September 26, 2013.

Handsome looking pour I will give it that. It was medium copper-amber with a lingering off-white foamy head and good carbonation.

The aroma was rather bland. Some pumpkin and some spice but it smelled like I was standing in a dying vegetable garden long past harvest season. Maybe that's how it was supposed to be.

The body was light to medium.

The taste had some biscuit character with squash or yam-like notes but nothing that jumped out at me. Kind of bland actually. (534 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours an amber color with 2 fingers of slightly off-white head that recedes to a nice cap

S: A bit of squashy pumpkin along with light spices and malt

T: Starts off with light spices and a light malt presence. Goes into a light squashy pumpkin. Finishes with a very light sweetness and pumpkin flesh

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A bit of a bland pumpkin beer. Not enough spice or malt sweetness to give it an edge or what's needed in the flavor department. Fairly expected for a 4% brew. Given that, it's a nice easy drinker that's good for the transition to colder weather (597 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz

Pours a slightly hazy amber orange, half inch of off-white head dissipates slowly to a film.

Smells of sweet and sour pumpkin and mild biscuity malts.

Tastes of light pumpkin, brown sugar, and biscuit malts.

Medium body with light carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A decent pumpkin ale, nothing special but not bad and has decent flavor and body considering the abv. (384 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

Anna Kournikova baby...looked great but wasnt a winner.

I'm a big pumpkin beer lover but I was let down by this beer. I probably wouldn’t buy it again as there are others I enjoy more.

Bottle poured into a shaker glass.

Aroma...Pumpkin definitely comes through along with some malt and just a hint of spice. I would’ve preferred a bit more spice but not so much that it would over power the pumpkin and malt.

Appearance...bright amber and crystal clear. Fabulous thick and creamy tan head that persisted with nice lacing. Like I said...Anna Kournikova. A gorgeous looking beer!

Flavor...slightly sweet upfront with more spice and pumpkin in the flavor than it has in the aroma. Still very subtle. Moderate hoppiness.

Dude; seriously?! I can’t believe I’m reviewing a beer like I'm some wannabe wine snob.

Bottom line is that if you like pumpkin beer I’ve had worse but I’ve also had better. Def drinkable but for my money I’ve got others that I’d rather drink.

Sorry Anna. (1,003 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Color was a dark orangey amber, with a thin 1/4" foamy off white head. Aroma was slightly spicy up front, a bit of cinnamony pepper. A bit on the simple aroma side. Flavor was similar. A bit of sweet up front, very faint, but then shfited to a bitter pepper. Not at all what I would expect from a pumpkin beer. Not necessarily bad, but not really what I would see for a pumpkin. Coated well, not overly thick. A bit of tingle on the tongue, in a good way. Overall a bit strange for a pumpkin, not at all like what I would normally expect. (575 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -34.9%

I'm a huge pumpkin ale fan, I typically like Unita's offerings very much, but this one let me down. It lacks that classic pumpkin ale flavor to me. It is devoid of any of the classic spices/flavors that make this style so appealing to me. They may have been going for a more subtle approach, don't know, but overall this has been a HUGE dissapointment for me. I would not buy again. (382 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -33.4%

I kind of hope I got a bad batch, as I've liked much of what I've tried from Uinta previously. But reading a few of the reviews, I'm not sure.

Appearance: Incredibly bright, with no haze and little particulate. A light amber color. Decent head retention and lacing.

Aroma: Where this beer fell apart for me. Rather than pumpkin pie spices, caramel malt notes, or even a bit of roast that I may have expected from a harvest pumpkin, I got sulfur and that cheesy, old hop aroma, with what was maybe a bit of underlying floral pumpkin aroma.

Taste: Sweet caramel notes first, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices on the finish, but they're very subtle. A little sweet potato flavor is detectable as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium to low carbonation, and a fairly thin body.

Fairly disappointing overall. Definitely would not buy this again, unless someone told worked hard to convince me I got a really bad batch. (907 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, orange brown colored with a short off white head that dissipates leaving little lacing, clear

S: spiced pumpkin pie, clove, nutmeg, ginger

T: quite a bit of roasted pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, toasted pecan

M: thinner with lower carbonation

O: more pumpkin focus than others, spice is more tamed, more nutty flavors (364 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle to tulip glass with 1 in white head Color is a brownish orange

Aroma - allspice nutmeg cinnamon

Taste - nice malt base with pumpkin and spice flavors as a good complement without overpowering

Mouthfeel - medium carb and light body.

Overall - Great pumpkin brew I’m enjoying it and would def pick up another sixer if looking to purchase the style (374 characters)

Served from the bottle into nonic glass

A- Poured a dark brownish orange color with soapy off-white head with huge bubbles that left splashy lace.

S- Very big nutmeg notes, ginger, pumpkin, bready, and caramel notes.

T- Lots of nutmeg, ginger, and pumpkin flavor with some caramel and bready notes.

M- Lighter bodied, prickly carbonation, somewhat watery finish but not bad for a 4% ABV ale with quite a bit of flavor.

O- This is a really solid pumpkin ale with the nice pumpkin spices you expect and a nice bready and caramel malt base. (544 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +24.1%

Uinita Punk'n pours a stoic tawny color with a slight haze to it. There's somewhat vigorous carbonation going on, and the beverage has got a quarter-inch sticky, frothy cream head. With a good whiff I can definitely state that I detect actual, natural pumpkin here. Like the inside of a real raw pumpkin. Authentic! Also, taking a back seat, the slew of usual spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. The flavor is quite close to the aroma, and in this case, it's a beautiful thing. This is a clean tasting real pumpkin beer. Not too over the top and also it still tastes like a beer, with light hops and biscuity malt identifiable in the taste. This tastes remarkably full and coats the mouth great for only a 4% alcohol beer. The flavor lingers nicely in the finish as well. I would buy this again, which is a phrase not thrown around lightly with pumpkin ales, unfortunately. (873 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Definitely an amber ale exactly what i'd expect from a pumpkin ale. Some head is obvious upon the pour but little remains after it dissipates. There is a little bit left on the surface of the beer a while after the pour.

Smell: This is no so much a great smelling beer. I smell a little bit of spices, and not so much many pumpkin. The smell really doesn't impress me very much.

Taste: At first all i can think of is alcohol. There is alot of spice that hits me upon tasting this beer, but almost no pumpkin. This is a bit disappointing.

Mouthfeel: A medium thick beer with medium carbonation. Works in its favor because its been disappointing otherwise.

Overall: Appearance its great, but smell was the first drop and the taste didn't help. If those had anchored this beer, then the mouthfeel would have only help but all in all this is below mediocre. (872 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Clear, mildly carbonated, amber head, and inviting. Light amber to orange appearing ale.

Smell - Spicy pumpkin bread scent with a clean aroma.

Taste - Heavy pumpkin flavor, delicious and refreshing. Well balanced and not overpowering with sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Nice on the palate, crisp flavor and smooth

Overall - Enjoyed this beer with Bison Meatloaf and Broccoli which seemed a good fit. Very enjoyable beer and would drink again without hesitation. (470 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper amber with a thin white head. Can see some visible carbonation in the body. Leaves some nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S: Pleasant aroma reminiscent of a pumpkin pie. Malts are more full than some pumpkin beers I have had and aren't overpowered by spice. Rich aroma.

T: Mild tempered pumpkin brew that is rounded out nicely by a full malt body. Spice and pumpkin are fairly strong but don't necessarily take center stage.

M: Medium to full body with a nice creaminess. Somewhat low carbonation. Isnt too sticky from the sweetness.

Overall I'm a fan of this beer. A little different than the other pumpkin beers on the market but still is true to pumpkin pie roots. Give it a go. (761 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -9.3%

Just one of those days, my peeps. So far it's just one of those average beer days. Like a 5 dollar footlong, it will do the trick, but Raul ain't pumped. A lil too syrupy like Aunt Jemimah, and the mouthfeel falls a bit flat like Raul's college sweetheart. (Raul will always remember you, girl.)

Raul does not recommend. (321 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +21.4%

Picking up a lot of similarity to Dogfish Head Punkn Ale. Overall, a very drinkable pumpkin beer. Mouthfeel is a lot heavier than the 4.00% ABV leads you to believe. I have no regrets picking this one up. Good job Uinta, haven't had a bad one from you yet! (256 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +10.2%

12oz bottle into a ping glass.

Pours a slightly hazy medium orange with a thick one finger off-white head. Quite impressive head retention and lacing. The head just never seems to go away.

Aroma is fairly subdued buy provides hints of cinnamon and clove typical of the style. There is some earthyness about it as well.

The taste is subdued similar to the aroma but it is very well done. The spices and earth meld perfectly and there are some nice bready undertones. Just a light bitterness enough to provide a nice contrast to the malt. Mouthfeel is light and finishes fairly dry.

Overall, a very nice pumpkin ale and one that is almost sessionable which can't be said about most beers in the style. I need to pick this one up again. (737 characters)

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company