Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Wasatch on 10-25-2006

This sessionable pumpkin ale is brewed with fresh pumpkin and seasonal spices.

Pours like a standard pumpkin ale, possibly a little darker. The aroma and flavor carries a sort of vegetative quality (probably from the pumpkin flesh addition) along with a mineral/carbonic character that I found to be distracting. The spice addition was quite restrained and leaned toward more herbal/bitter instead of malty and sweet.

3.69/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- pours a golden honey color with a touch of deep orange and white head. Head is above average and leaves a really nice ring of lacing lasting the entire time.

S- pumpkin pie spices up front and malt with some earthy tones.

T- well balanced with fall spices and hops. Spices hit the tongue first followed by pumpkin flavor and end with the sweet bitterness of hops. Perfectly balanced.

M- medium bodied and smooth. Excellent.

O- great beer. I love pumpkin ales and this is one of best I've had so far.

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz. bottle, with best before 02/14/2014 printed on the label. So I'm a little late on this one, but I'm not scared! Cleaning out the last of the remaining pumpkin beers. 3% organic ingredients according to the label.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a beautiful amber orange colored body with some dark flecks of sediment floating about. About a finger and a half of frothy tan head, with some thin scattered lacing. Looks pretty damn nice for an older pumpkin beer, that's for sure.

S - Smell is comprised of the usual suspects - earthy malt, slight yeast must, buttery diacetyl / buttered pie crust, brown sugar, & herbal spice rack notes. Smell is nice, but is softer than it has to be, and tragically any actual 'pumpkin' fails to come through in the aroma.

T - Taste follows the nose - the bready caramel malt is dominating though. Bready and buttery with mild earthy hop bitterness. Herbal spice rack notes are noticeable, but firmly in the background. Slightly buttery and gourdy, so I guess this is where the pumpkin comes into play.

M - Feel is crisp and clean, with mild bready malt and some hop bitterness on the palate. Medium bodied with slightly high carbonation.

Overall, a fairly distinct pumpkin beer in a crowded genre. Slightly filling and dessert-ish, but low on the alcohol with only 4.00% abv. Reminds me more of a pale ale in a lot of ways. Not soda-like or fizzy. A nice pumpkin beer for sure, I'm not sure why it has such poor ratings, but I would have it again.

Uinta Punk'n ---3.5/5

3.21/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A lot of pumpkin and spice in the aroma, with some malt sweetness to back it up, but no hop presence or bitterness at all. The flavor starts with the pumpkin, but has a bit stronger of a malt presence, with bready malt character coming through. There is a bit of a bitterness in the flavor, but you really need to search for it. Not bad, but a touch too sweet for my taste

4.16/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours an opaque mahogany with a thin mocha head.

S: Pumpkin, toasty notes, malt, and a bit of mild fruit in the nose.

T: Nice toasty pumpkin, malts, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: If you like the style, I recommend it. It's a very good beer to me, but I'm a fan of the style, especially when the flavor of pumpkin and spices are well represented. Also, the toasty malty notes make a great addition.

3.08/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

A- pours a slightly hazy orange with a one-finger creamy off-white head that retains long after the pour

S- raw vegetal aromas with strange aroma of ketchup. Strangely enough, the only other pumpkin ake that I've had that had a ketchup aroma also boasted about its pumpkins being organic. Nonetheless I'm getting a strange V8 aroma.

T- faded pumpkin spices mixes with raw pumpkin flavor, the ketchup shows up again in the finish, with just a bit of toasted malt at the end

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy and almost chewy mouthfeel with a smooth finish

O- I love pumpkin ales, as I've graded over 30, but the ketchup aroma and flavor just didn't do it for me

3.74/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good mouthfeel, but lacks a balanced spice flavor, and the beer lack some malt character. Pumpkin, as with most pumpkin ales, does not come through well. Kept a good head in a shaker pint, and was fairly clear (slightly cloudy). Cinnamon flavor is a clear, and is overall a solid ale. It lacks a balance between being a pumpkin ale and being a great ale.

3.48/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

Poured into a goblet. Caramel copper in colour, thin head, bit of lace.

Nose is sweet pumpkin, cinnamon, biscuit.

Pretty decent pumpkin beer, it has to be said. The flavor is unmistakably that of pumpkin, and there is a good bit of cinnamon and spice to it. Nothing memorable, but it does the trick.

3.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Draught @ Headkeeper: This one pours a clear, orange tinged amber color. There was a wisp of an off-white head on it. Lighter but nice aroma. Some pumpkin pie spices and a hint of pumpkin. The taste is good. Some pumpkin pie spices, some pumpkin and some malt sweetness. Fairly nice.

3.83/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up at Wegman's in a mix-a-six, enjoyed chilled from a teku out of the 12oz brown bottle.

The color is deep bronze with mild hazed look with ample frothy creamy looking head with average bead, lace sticks with good retention. The smell is fragrant with both spice and some fruity yeast esters there is also a good amount of sweet malt in the aroma like dark caramel. The feel is good pretty quaffable and a little on the lighter side, but not overly spice and a nice residual sugar is there with good balance of malt and semi dry finish.

The flavor has some green hops with mild herbal flavor and gentle malt taste upfront which leads to a spiced and caramel sweetness in the middle. The malt gives a dry nutty toasted grain foundation to the mild alcohol and light spice in the semi-dry finish. Overall I found this to be a tasty lower abv pumpkin with nice subdued spicing nad a good foundation of malt I would drink this again

A - Pours a golden orange with one finger offwhite head. This beer as great retention and nice lacing. There is good carbonation as well. I felt it was a very good looking beer

S - Smells like pumpkin pie. Its not overpowering though. Nice use of nutmeg and clove spices.

T - Much like the smell. Tastes like pumpkin pie but not overpowering with pumpkin and not too sweet. You can still pick out the other tastes in the beer. The pumpkin pie spices are definately present as well. Everything seems nicely balanced

M - Creamy feeling in the mouth. A easy drinking light beer that goes down smooth.

O - I obviously enjoyed this beer more than others. I felt it was a great fall pumpkin beer. The pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices are present but dont rule the beer. Its easy to drink and has a pleasant aroma. I will look for this one again

This is a middle of the road pumpkin ale. Pumpkin ale is my favorite beer and I have tried many. Weyerbacher is my favorite but it is pricey. Otherwise I would buy Post Road.
Punk'n Is on par with Long Trail and 3rd on my list. Other middle of the pack treats include UFO, Tommyknocker, Ichabod, and Southampton. Stay away from Smuttynose which tastes like potpourri. I am not a fan of Samuel Adams or Blue Moon either. If you like hard cider, Woodchuck has a nice, smooth, mild pumpkin flavor. Maple Mistress is supposed to be an Imperial Pumpkin ale but tastes like an Imperial Maple Ale.

3.63/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a caramel tan color. There’s pumpkin spice on the aroma with a heavy handed clove and allspice. It tastes slightly bitter with a touch of roast. The clove and allspice dominates the flavor. Dry finish. Not a bad sipper. It is what it is.

4.14/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pumpkin-orange in color. Good clarity. Weakish head retreats to a ring around the glass but adds some attractive lace patches.

Mild grainy aroma, herbal hop, subtle pumpkin.

Malty biscuit flavor, light and buttery. Hint of pumpkin. Hop flavor of herbs, grass and spinach leaves. Well balanced and I really enjoy how the pumpkin flavor is not overpowering.

Light bodied, well carbonated. Crisp, clean finish.

I actually like this beer quite a bit. It doesn't claim to be anything it's not. It's a sessionable ale with pumpkin added. Descent flavor and well balanced.

I poured this beer it has a burnt orange color body with a thick head that hangs out for a while. The smell is faint of spices. The taste is the same way faintnof spices execpt of clove. I don't get any pumpkin flavor. Mouthfeel is flat and overall not that good.

3.87/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I netted a whole buncha pumpkin beers when they hit the market in late-August (!) and set them aside, awiting the arrival of October. This one strikes me as being from Pixburgh, by way of Utah. I'm drinking a Punk 'n' 'at, yinz jagovs! Git away from my birr. Yinz want some, yinz ga dahn ta Dawnie's cause a he's got a whole bunch, 'n' 'at. Jeez O man, it's tough around iss jernt.

From the bottle: "Earth, Wind and Beer Harvested by Uinta Brewing Co. Salt Lake City Utah"; "For best flavor enjoy in a glass"; "3 % Organic Ingredients"; "Ale Brewed with Pumpkin & Spices".

I went with an aggro pour as there had better not be any lees to get stirred up. The result was two thick fingers of tawny head that slowly fell like an aging heavyweight who just got tagged on the chin by an up and coming opponent. What remained was soft and creamy, like soft serve ice cream. Nose was maltier than the other two offerings this evening, making for a nice change of pace. Color was a deep-copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium and this one struck a nice balance between the "organic pumpkin", the "organic spices" and the "barley malt", giving it a light spiciness, but not overwhelming the malty sweetness that acted as the beer's backbone. I get it. I am an American and we like things that are overamped, but this was a striking contrast to the spice rack receptacles from earlier in the evening. With them, one each was plenty. In this one, the finish was pleasantly semi-dry and not harsh in terms of its inherent spiciness. I would not want a full day of it, but at least I felt like I could drink more than just one. I may lay in a couple/few more for the upcoming holidays.

3.66/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured 6 oz. into snifter glass for review

A- Dark, burnt umber, orange, pumpkin, a little hazy, with nice off white head that rose to an inch and diminished rather quickly

S- Very interesting. I am not getting the typical pumpkin pie aromas but rather a very strong vegetal pumpkin flavor. It smells of pumpkin meat, pumpkin skin, roasted pumpkin and pumpkin seeds. If I get my nose right in there it smells a little sweet, but mostly like I am smelling an actual pumpkin. I am not really sure what to expect...

Note: There was also a unique, yet distinct smell that struck me as familiar but I couldnt put my finger on it. I just went back and it struck me-refried beans!

T- Here is goes. Liquid roasted pumpkin seeds and pumpkin skin/rind. Although, it doesn't sound that appealing, this perhaps may be one of the closest pumpkin ales that I think is true to the early American style...I only say that as I am getting a "traditional" taste-if that makes sense. There are absolutely no spice flavors. It may pair well with Thanksgiving dinner, but not as a dessert beer.

M- The mouthfeel is good. It has some body to it, yet it is fresh and smooth. This is surprisingly drinkable!

O- Typically when I think about pumpkin beers, I usually lean towards thoughts of halloween. Many of the bottles have images of Jack o' lanterns, owls, headless horsemen, and other ghoulish figures associated with Halloween. This beer just screams "harvest" more than anything. Like I said, it seems "traditional" in a way. Even the bottle art is plain and simple. Try this if you get a chance. If anything it is very different. It is like a whole pumpkin in a glass!

3.6/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle was poured into pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a small head that reduced quickly to a thin layer. It is a copper color with good clarity and bubbled seen coming up through the glass.

Smell: Faint pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar, all spice, all spice, clove.

Taste: Same as above with some chewy and pale malts. Sweetness from the brown sugar too.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, sweet, a light smooth, medium to high carbonation, sweet, and light bodied.

Overall: A nice and light alternative to pumpkin beers, but still sweet though.

3.83/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep bronze color, little lacing is left on the glass. Aroma of pumpkin, caramel and spice. In the taste, mostly malt and pumpkin. A bit more hop influence than many examples of the style, with a hop/spice bite. Nutmeg, all spice and coriander dial in the holiday spices, but faint which makes for an easier drinking beverage. Nice malt and pumpkin flavor. Overall, a solid pumpkin ale.

3.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours hazy orange with no head and minimal lacing.

Smell is spice-forward with cinnamon and nutmeg. Only a trace of pumpkin and an odd scent of dirt on the back end.

Taste is mostly spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Not much pumpkin flavor here. A little citrus on the finish.

Light bodied. Actually a little watery with low carbonation.

A decent pumpkin ale but, there is nothing really special going on here.

3.23/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

The beer shows a decent amount of head pouring from the bottle, ultimately settling as a quarter inch layer at the top. Lacing is not present. The color is a deep rust color similar to many pumpkin beers.

The smell begins with a strong spice presence, but then a curious vegetable smell emerges. The smell resembles something canned and is not entirely off-putting, but also not entirely appealing.

The taste is the same as the smell, but perhaps with a bit more pumpkin presence. The beer itself is medium body with light carbonation. It is easy to drink certainly.

Overall, the beer would be much more enjoyable without the canned vegetable aspect, as this beer distracts the senses and seems out of place. Okay but not a favorite.

3.09/5  rDev -7.2%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on September 26, 2013.

Handsome looking pour I will give it that. It was medium copper-amber with a lingering off-white foamy head and good carbonation.

The aroma was rather bland. Some pumpkin and some spice but it smelled like I was standing in a dying vegetable garden long past harvest season. Maybe that's how it was supposed to be.

The body was light to medium.

The taste had some biscuit character with squash or yam-like notes but nothing that jumped out at me. Kind of bland actually.

3.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours an amber color with 2 fingers of slightly off-white head that recedes to a nice cap

S: A bit of squashy pumpkin along with light spices and malt

T: Starts off with light spices and a light malt presence. Goes into a light squashy pumpkin. Finishes with a very light sweetness and pumpkin flesh

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A bit of a bland pumpkin beer. Not enough spice or malt sweetness to give it an edge or what's needed in the flavor department. Fairly expected for a 4% brew. Given that, it's a nice easy drinker that's good for the transition to colder weather

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz

Pours a slightly hazy amber orange, half inch of off-white head dissipates slowly to a film.

Smells of sweet and sour pumpkin and mild biscuity malts.

Tastes of light pumpkin, brown sugar, and biscuit malts.

Medium body with light carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A decent pumpkin ale, nothing special but not bad and has decent flavor and body considering the abv.

3.06/5  rDev -8.1%

Anna Kournikova baby...looked great but wasnt a winner.

I'm a big pumpkin beer lover but I was let down by this beer. I probably wouldn’t buy it again as there are others I enjoy more.

Bottle poured into a shaker glass.

Aroma...Pumpkin definitely comes through along with some malt and just a hint of spice. I would’ve preferred a bit more spice but not so much that it would over power the pumpkin and malt.

Appearance...bright amber and crystal clear. Fabulous thick and creamy tan head that persisted with nice lacing. Like I said...Anna Kournikova. A gorgeous looking beer!

Flavor...slightly sweet upfront with more spice and pumpkin in the flavor than it has in the aroma. Still very subtle. Moderate hoppiness.

Dude; seriously?! I can’t believe I’m reviewing a beer like I'm some wannabe wine snob.

Bottom line is that if you like pumpkin beer I’ve had worse but I’ve also had better. Def drinkable but for my money I’ve got others that I’d rather drink.

Sorry Anna.