Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Wasatch on 10-25-2006

This sessionable pumpkin ale is brewed with fresh pumpkin and seasonal spices.

Reviews: 268 | Hads: 1,026
3.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz picked up at Whole Foods... Enjoyed from my trusty tulip... Thin white head with no real lacing atop a fairly clear orange brew.

Nose shows light pie spices and a decent match from the gourds..

Flavor is again light, but never flimsy.. Everything is there, but light as should be expected for Uinta... I appreciate the light spices and really never enjoy the spice bombs.

This brew is interesting.. simple.. NOTHING is overblown.. the squash element and the warm spices are in tune with each other.

Pretty nice.. maybe a lower ABV is the solution for so many shitty pumpkin brews out there???? Just sayin'... But I am right.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

Punk'n pours a caramel, orangey color with a nice foamy head. The beer is well carbonated with lots of bubbles moving toward the top. The nose is fairly subtle, with notes of earthiness, toastedness, must, and a hint of nuts. The body of this beer is medium-light, quite sessionable.

On the pumpkin beer spectrum that ranges from pumpkin pie to gourd in flavor, Punk'n is certainly more toward the gourd side. The most distinctive taste note is a roasted, almost charred pumpkin flavor, with hints of honey and spices. There was also something that I found to be a little bacony/savory in the taste.

I would argue that Punk'n is a less well rounded version of DFH's Punkin. The roasted/charred pumpkin note is a bit off balanced.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

A pretty good pumpkin beer.
Smells with pumpkin and spices.
Taste is tart and dry with with some spices.
Autumn colored with a thin beige head.
About standard for a pumpkin beer.

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance - Poured 2 solid fingers of tan foam, body is a slightly hazy orange amber, leaves lightly webbed lace rings after each sip, and kept a solid cap throughout the entire session.

Smell - Pumkin filling, nutmeg, lite cinnamon, light crust (pie crust?), amd light sweetness, could even get whipped cream from this.

Taste - Light crusts, light pumkin, and light spices, mostly nutmeg. A very light malt sweetness in the back, not enough actually. I'm also getting flavors of white pepper and some minerals longer into the finish. Falls significantly on taste, as everything seems a bit watered down here.Too bad too, has a pretty good nose.

Mouthfeel - Lower side of medium, carb is just short of medium and very smooth. Soft and drinkable, but nothing that stands out here.

Overall - I was pretty interested after the appearance and smell, but the taste was a real let down here. I'm a little surprised, as I've had much better offerings from Uinta. This truly makes me think of something that may have been a better pumkin ale that was watered down with a significant amount of club soda, much like I believe another reviewer said. I can't recommend this, and I won't try it again - there are much better pumkin beers out there.

2.91/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color. The head is less than a finger high, with an off-white shade. Retention isn't very good, though the head is trying to form itself from the decent carbonation. Almost no lacing, either. (3)

Smell: More or less, it smells like a typical pumpkin ale. However, it leans closer to the sweeter pumpkin pie-in-a-glass type than the just-an-amber-ale-with-a-bit-of-spice type. There's a nice cinnamon note, along with a subtle kiss of gourd. Some of the other spices (like nutmeg and allspice) come off a bit harshly, though. Still, it smells decent – especially for a smaller gravity pumpkin ale. (3.25)

Taste: More watery than the nose indicated. It opens up with that classic combo of pumpkin and spicing, with a touch of toasted caramel malts in the midtaste. The finish...I don't know, it just seems generically carbonic and nondescript. All in all, pretty weak. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: Very light for a pumpkin ale, and also pretty fizzy. Still, it goes down very easily. Uinta *did* succeed in making a light pumpkin ale that wasn't as hopelessly soda-like as Pumpkinhead, so minor kudos. (3)

Overall: It seems like 80% of all pumpkin ales are painfully mediocre - and yet, I keep trying them year after year. Anyhoo, this is another one of them. The subtlety of everything makes it less harsh than some of the spice bombs out there, at least. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you want a pumpkin ale, Schlafly's pumpkin ale is the way to go. Period. (2.75)

2.89/5: Not Uinta's best showing

3.44/5  rDev +2.7%

Good starting head. Some streaky lace. Orange amber color and a bit hazy.

Strong raw pumpkin aroma. Quite vegetable-like in the taste, i.e. no sweetness, no pumpkin pie spices--just

First impression is that this is a little flat. The flavor matches the nose.

I'm impressed with this offering of a season of pumpkin brew. I poured into a pint glass and was happy to see an impressive head, with distinct lacing that lasted throughout my entire session. Colour was pure and deep, essembling whiskey in the glass. Nose was subdued, but with subtle spice and lots of roasty pumpkin. The taste is surprisingly dry! Not sweet at all. A nice twist for a genre: a bruise that are often overly sweet and overly spiced. This one is all pumpkin, with a more subtle spice profile than many competitors. It's a bit one dimensional, slightly flat, but with such a nice head and with such a reserved interpretation on pumpkin beer, this is one to try again and a beer to recommend for those who are not fans of the over-the-top examples of this style.

Like the previous reviewer, I thought this beer would be a different, wonderful taste on the bevy of pumpkin beers out there.

It's super one-note, and I don't get why a number of pumpkin beers out there, of course including this one, don't just go very straightforward and try to faithfully mimic what pumpkins taste like-- perhaps I'm looking for a light, creamy, foamy, sweet, pumpkin beer, or a darker, more robust, spiced pumpkin. Either would have fixed this tepid problem. A well-balanced pumpkin beer, with appropriate experimentation (and test audiences) and batches that come out consistent shouldn't be hard for a brewery that has nationwide distribution.

I'm a little disappointed and it's difficult not to show that in this review. It's hoppy, with a smell like pumpkins, but comes off like an amber with almost zero remarkable qualities. Hooray.

3.09/5  rDev -7.8%

I've heard people either love this beer or hate it. Let's see if it causes me to vomit like so many BA'ers have implied.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3.5) : Wow, it's the color of pumpkin alright. Dark pumpkin flesh, with a tinge of dark amber. Head is about 2 fingers and looks marshmallowy. Leaves very faint broken rings of lace around the glass.

Smell (4) : It's interesting that I said "marshmallow" because that's what I'm getting here. With some warm, sun-drenched pumpkin, dark spice, nutmeg, cinnamon. A pretty good smell. The bottle gives off a stiff pumpkin smell, overpowering everything else.

Taste (3) : A little sour, a bit bitter, sickly even, but ends like pumpkin pie. I like the aftertaste, but to get to it, I have to endure the ripe bitterness that is the woeful forerunner. Out of the bottle I could argue it tastes like Busch beer with pumpkin spice added. Heck, if Busch made a pumpkin lager (despite that this is an ale) that's what it would taste like. The flavor out of the glass is a little more classy, if only a little. Belches are like fresh carrot. ...Interesting.

Mouthfeel (3) : Pretty carbonated, medium bodied, spiced, ends dry.

Overall (3.09) : I don't quite know what to think of this brew. I think I'd lean more towards the "hate" category, but it's not entirely terrible. I'd say it's a notch above Shock Top's offering which isn't saying much. The taste is mawkish in every sense of the word, until you get to the end where you taste fresh pumpkin pie. I don't think the first part is worth agonizing through just for a pleasant three second aftertaste. It's actually giving me a little heartburn too. Ah, I wouldn't drink this again.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Canned version.

A: 4.0 Dark walnut color, clear, with a goodly head and decent lacing.
S: 3.5 Restrained spiciness, to the degree actual pumpkin can be smelled, and light caramel malt.
T: 3.75 Like the nose, this contains a lot less spice than many examples of the style, but there's still a little bit of nutmeg, a touch of cinnamon. And, yeah, there's actual sweet pumpkin flavor (personally, it doesn't do much for me. I drink PA's for the spiciness). Malt adds a little caramel sweetness but it isn't heavy.
M: 4.0 Low strength, but still has plenty of body, and a good soft mouthfeel.
O: 3.75 Well-enough made, but a little boring.

Weighting (percentages): 20, 20, 40, 5, 15. Avg: 3.76

3.84/5  rDev +14.6%

On-tap at O'Donnell's Pub in Harrison, NJ.

Really surprised by the low ratings when I went to review this. Hazy, amber in color with a one-finger white head. Good retention. Pleasant pumpkin pie spice aroma. Lots of carbonation and dry but light mouthfeel. I had more than one pint and enjoyed it. Would definitely get it again.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Copper toned beer, no lacing or remnants of head after pour. Aroma is roasted pumpkin with more vanilla than any other spice. Mouth feel is medium with a taste as you would expect from the aroma . Good beer with the right amount of pumpkin and spice flavors as well as a nice roasted or smokey complement from the roasted pumpkins.

3.67/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Punk'n is a light, clean pumpkin ale, and a decent one at that. The aroma and overall flavor profile are noticeably tame relative to the slew of big bad pumpkin ales on the market, but that's alright with me.

The taste is mostly soft natural pumpkin with a bit of earthy hops. Almost none of the nutmeg and other spices typically associated with pumpkin ales. To me, that makes it a more authentic pumpkin beer, even if it's a bit less exciting than some. The light body and medium-high carbonation give it a crisp, refreshing feel.

Overall, it's very good at being what it's supposed to be, and I can appreciate that. However, I will admit I am also a fan of the bolder pumpkin ales, and I find Punk'n to be a perfect mixer to smooth out the likes of Pumking, Weyerbacher Imperial, Kentucky Pumpkin Barrel, etc. Either way, for the price, there's nothing to complain about here.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

Going to Utah next month and I wanted to start acquainting myself with the beehive state.

Copper color with a fair white head. Sticky and sturdy enough. Sweet compass bottles.
Pumpkin pie spice and actual earthy pumpkin aroma. Sufficient but not overpowering. Taste is the same mix of pumpkin pie space and gourd-y pumpkin.

I like that there’s actual pumpkin in here and not just a spice bomb andI really like the restraint Uinta exercised. It’s one of the few pumpkin beers I’d have more than one of in a sitting.

The label says Pumpkin Ale but I think this should be renamed as a "Spiced Fall Ale." Drinking this makes me feel like I should be outside on an overcast low 50 degree day among wind blow'n leaves. The color is a rich amber with slow dissipating head white head. Mouthfeel is moderate. Faint notes of pumpkin but more essence of general spices.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

I had this a few years back and thought it was pretty weak, but decided to pick it up again after seeing they've at least changed the recipe a little bit and brought it to a 5% abv per the info on their website. Looks the part of a pumpkin; orangy-red and maybe a slight haze, actually poured a pretty good head that lasted, well, not very long, but it was there. The nose smells of typical pumpkin-y spices like cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Tastes about the same, but this one does have a very slight but noticeable pumpkin flavor to it - I find a lot of others you just get spice and some unidentifiable funkiness to it which I presume is gourd, but here it's recognizable. The best way I can describe it is it tastes like the smell of when a candle starts to cook the lid of a jack o' lantern. The mouthfeel is also quite nice, silky and a little tart on the back end. I think the mouthfeel puts it above the average category and I do also like the fact that you can taste some real pumpkin in here. I've been trying more and more Uinta stuff and have been impressed by many of their offerings. I would easily pick this up again in between some of the bigger pumpkin ales.

Pours like a standard pumpkin ale, possibly a little darker. The aroma and flavor carries a sort of vegetative quality (probably from the pumpkin flesh addition) along with a mineral/carbonic character that I found to be distracting. The spice addition was quite restrained and leaned toward more herbal/bitter instead of malty and sweet.

3.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- pours a golden honey color with a touch of deep orange and white head. Head is above average and leaves a really nice ring of lacing lasting the entire time.

S- pumpkin pie spices up front and malt with some earthy tones.

T- well balanced with fall spices and hops. Spices hit the tongue first followed by pumpkin flavor and end with the sweet bitterness of hops. Perfectly balanced.

M- medium bodied and smooth. Excellent.

O- great beer. I love pumpkin ales and this is one of best I've had so far.

3.41/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz. bottle, with best before 02/14/2014 printed on the label. So I'm a little late on this one, but I'm not scared! Cleaning out the last of the remaining pumpkin beers. 3% organic ingredients according to the label.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a beautiful amber orange colored body with some dark flecks of sediment floating about. About a finger and a half of frothy tan head, with some thin scattered lacing. Looks pretty damn nice for an older pumpkin beer, that's for sure.

S - Smell is comprised of the usual suspects - earthy malt, slight yeast must, buttery diacetyl / buttered pie crust, brown sugar, & herbal spice rack notes. Smell is nice, but is softer than it has to be, and tragically any actual 'pumpkin' fails to come through in the aroma.

T - Taste follows the nose - the bready caramel malt is dominating though. Bready and buttery with mild earthy hop bitterness. Herbal spice rack notes are noticeable, but firmly in the background. Slightly buttery and gourdy, so I guess this is where the pumpkin comes into play.

M - Feel is crisp and clean, with mild bready malt and some hop bitterness on the palate. Medium bodied with slightly high carbonation.

Overall, a fairly distinct pumpkin beer in a crowded genre. Slightly filling and dessert-ish, but low on the alcohol with only 4.00% abv. Reminds me more of a pale ale in a lot of ways. Not soda-like or fizzy. A nice pumpkin beer for sure, I'm not sure why it has such poor ratings, but I would have it again.

Uinta Punk'n ---3.5/5

3.21/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A lot of pumpkin and spice in the aroma, with some malt sweetness to back it up, but no hop presence or bitterness at all. The flavor starts with the pumpkin, but has a bit stronger of a malt presence, with bready malt character coming through. There is a bit of a bitterness in the flavor, but you really need to search for it. Not bad, but a touch too sweet for my taste

4.16/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours an opaque mahogany with a thin mocha head.

S: Pumpkin, toasty notes, malt, and a bit of mild fruit in the nose.

T: Nice toasty pumpkin, malts, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: If you like the style, I recommend it. It's a very good beer to me, but I'm a fan of the style, especially when the flavor of pumpkin and spices are well represented. Also, the toasty malty notes make a great addition.

3.08/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

A- pours a slightly hazy orange with a one-finger creamy off-white head that retains long after the pour

S- raw vegetal aromas with strange aroma of ketchup. Strangely enough, the only other pumpkin ake that I've had that had a ketchup aroma also boasted about its pumpkins being organic. Nonetheless I'm getting a strange V8 aroma.

T- faded pumpkin spices mixes with raw pumpkin flavor, the ketchup shows up again in the finish, with just a bit of toasted malt at the end

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy and almost chewy mouthfeel with a smooth finish

O- I love pumpkin ales, as I've graded over 30, but the ketchup aroma and flavor just didn't do it for me

3.74/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good mouthfeel, but lacks a balanced spice flavor, and the beer lack some malt character. Pumpkin, as with most pumpkin ales, does not come through well. Kept a good head in a shaker pint, and was fairly clear (slightly cloudy). Cinnamon flavor is a clear, and is overall a solid ale. It lacks a balance between being a pumpkin ale and being a great ale.

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

Poured into a goblet. Caramel copper in colour, thin head, bit of lace.

Nose is sweet pumpkin, cinnamon, biscuit.

Pretty decent pumpkin beer, it has to be said. The flavor is unmistakably that of pumpkin, and there is a good bit of cinnamon and spice to it. Nothing memorable, but it does the trick.

3.54/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Draught @ Headkeeper: This one pours a clear, orange tinged amber color. There was a wisp of an off-white head on it. Lighter but nice aroma. Some pumpkin pie spices and a hint of pumpkin. The taste is good. Some pumpkin pie spices, some pumpkin and some malt sweetness. Fairly nice.

Punk'n Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company