Detour Double India Pale Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Detour Double India Pale AleDetour Double India Pale Ale

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Beer added by: Beaver13 on 05-30-2010

Detour blazes the trail for fresh and bold Double IPAs. Four varieties of hops combine to step up the flavor profile. A hoppy adventure that finishes dry. Big in alcohol and character.

to view more.
Ratings: 1,187 | Reviews: 257
3.73/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Uinta Detour Double IPA, from the Crooked Line Series. 9.5% ALC by VOL. Uinta Brewing Company, Salt Lake City, Utah.

Do I count this as a Chicago beer, even though it's from Utah? We haven't had Uinta in MN in quite some time, not since they started this series. Let's say yes.
Some gobbledygook on the label, which I'll recite to you later.

Nice, bright crimson, coloring, prodigious head, full and flowering, soon drifting down, looking good.

Aroma: Earthy, herbal-y, slightly spicy, with plenty of malt aromas, along with fruity esters. Not the usual one we expect from a double IPA, not the typical pine and citrus stuff. More of an English IPA/double IPA. now, to drink!

Taste: Malt forward, this one. More earthiness, some fruit, more apple, cherry. Rich, slightly sweet, and the booze is kicking in. Hops are tingling, slightly higher bitterness…but not enough hops in this one. I'm getting the feel of an English barley-wine, more than anything else. Higher alcohol, major malt, big hops, but not really standing over the others.

Let's check out that gobbledygook: "Detour blazes the trail for fresh and bold double IPAs. Four varieties of hops combine to step up the flavor profile. A hoppy adventure that finishes dry. Big in alcohol and character. Venture to pair with other spirited flavors such as those found in spicy ethnic foods."

If I were writing a spoof, I'd write that last sentence. Holy crap that's some terrible gobbledygook!
It's a double IPA, in a sense, sure. Double up an English IPA, with more malt than hops, and you've got a barley-wine. As that, it's okay.

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy amber color almost like maple syrup. Good head retention with a lot of lacing. Crisp hoppy taste, with definite signs of grapefruit, kind of earthy. Finishes dry and with hints of sour citrus. Can taste a good amount of the 9.5 ABV. A very good brew, but not elite in my book.

4.12/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reddish/amber brew, darker than most DIPAs.

Surprisingly bitter and fruity. A little syrupy on the mouthfeel, but otherwise carrying plenty of pine, citrus, and a touch of tropical fruit.

An excellent overall DIPA. I'm surprised by the relatively low rating, because I think this really stands out as very, very good.

3.81/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep hazy copper with a khaki head which holds nicely. The aroma is of piney, resinous hops with a little alcohol pop in the nose. Flavor starts with the pine and resin hop profile, but this dealt some solid competition from a bit of a boozy taste. A hint of lemon at the back, with that last alcohol blast. The profiles of this beer are promising, but the high ABV is unmasked and as such makes this a little harder to drink for my delicate palate (such a wimp...).

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%

Has a bitter grapefruit taste to me. Has a faint grapefruit and honey aroma. Yes I would drink again. No I would not go out of my way to find

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Coppery amber liquid with a off white foam that disappears rapidly. Sticky lace. Smells of ripe oranges and citrus groves. Flavor: orange marmalade, earthy, lightly spicy and herbal. Medium bitterness. Caramelly malt body is substantial. Medium mouthfeel. Finishes lightly bitter, orange pith, with an alcohol presence.

Freebie from my local beer store. Best before 5/29/15.

Appearance: Caramel/orange and hazy as hell. About of finger of off-white froth.

Aroma: Overripe orange. Some caramel.

Taste: Pretty much par for the course when it comes to double IPAs that aren't designated West or East coast. A big caramel malt body stacked to the roof with orange citrusy hop flavor and medium earthy bitterness. The 9.5% ABV is not present in the flavor but is provides a ton of malt presence. Not sure what the IBUs are but I'd put them at about 80 as its not a palate wrecker. Sweet finish of caramel malt and moderate earthy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Upper medium in body with average carbonation for the style and slightly below average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Really just an average DIPA all around. Basic earthy bitterness paired with orange citrus hop flavor and a big caramel malt backbone. Newbies to the style may appreciate the flavor but it just isn't breaking any new ground. Would I drink it again? Probably not.

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: A lovely clear deep copper colored body holds up a cream colored head. Head recession is minimal as a thick film is leftover. Thick bands of lacing remain.

Aroma: Juicy, piny, and herbal. A touch of spiciness on the back end.

Taste: An almost syrupy-sweet malt bill is at the core of this beer. Hops bring the flavor of herbal spices, pine, and cedar. The ABV emerges with a little heat in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick.

Overall: A beautiful looking beer with great aroma, but a bit syrupy and lacking some needed fruitiness in the taste. Still very solid.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Not a big fan, may revisit though as the date to drink by was three days ago

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Very malty beer. Was hoping it was really hop forward kinda disappointed.

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Nice beer, but pretty typical for the style. Slight bit of cardboardy oxidation.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

I'm into these big IPA's

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

Very resiny, grassy, dank aroma with big citrus notes of grapefruit and tangerine. Fairly balanced between the contrasting genres. Biscuity malt is subtle.

Flavor reveals more malt support, slightly sweet, which counters the initial sharp muddled citrus that leads into resiny bitterness at the finish. Notes of pine emerge in the aftertaste.

Hops certainly dominate and run the gamut of variety, albeit lacking in my beloved tropical fruit notes. Nice malt presence, though, which supports well. The finish is just very astringent.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Quite tasty.... hoppy and citrusy with just a pinch of lingering bitterness... very crisp and easy to drink... never would know it's 9.5%
A fine west coast dipa for sure

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Creamy head. Pine, orange nose. Piney,hoppy, orange, earthy taste with a little bit of a boozey finish.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Decent all round IPA. Nothing great nothing wrong

4.21/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Opaque straw colored with a clumping off-white head that leaves plenty of lace.

Smell: Strong floral and piney hops.

Taste: Strong bitterness up front, then sharply runs into slightly sweet malt, wheat, never quite stands up to the hops. Hops linger in the aftertaste for a while.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick and moderately carbonated.

Overall: Good strong IPA, not for the faint of tongue.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Draft at the LA Live Yard House.
Slightly hazy, yellow gold with a tight white head. Good retention, nice looking lace lines.
Fresh hop aromas, grapefruit, citrus, all hops.
I thought it was quite well balanced, with enough malt to keep it from being too bitter and harsh. Citrus peel, some pine, herbal or leafy hop finish.
Solid mouth feel and body. Very drinkable despite high alcohol and bitterness.

4.48/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy this much more than Hop Nosh. For having a higher ABV and being a dIPA, this is much more balanced. Alcohol is hidden well. High carbonation, medium mouthfeel, earthy, grassy, but extremely drinkable. I don't typically like dIPAs but this is awesome.

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Overall I think this beer has been underrated

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

About three months past the best before date. Hazy amber orange with a modest head but decent amount of lace. Smell is bready malts with little hop aroma. Taste is bready sweet with a large bitter dank hop taste. There is some pine grapefruit and orange.in the hop flavors. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with just enough carbonation. Finish is dry pine needles and a bit of soap on the back of the tongue. I think this beer was stored room temperature and has suffered for it. Next time i will try to get something fresh. I will say the alcohol was pretty well hidden.

Certainly couldn't taste the alcohol in this one - mostly because of the sandpaper astringency that apparently comes with merciless infusions of alpha acid. Not my favorite example of this style by any stretch, though I'm a big fan of other Uinta beers.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

A - I have to agree with others it looks like bile very hazy amber brown liquid not filtered in the slightest. Head is a 1/2 inch that seems to settles for a while.
S - Musty herbal hop water with mild gritty undertones. Really hope it's not as bitter as other said.
T - Herbal hops mend my palate with medicine like bitterness, mild grainy roughness, and a finish that fades out which surprisingly hides the high ABV. Not bad.
M - Not sure why most say its so bitter it does have an earthy hop bite but smooth hidden ABV. Medium bodied though and weird.

Overall I paid 4 bucks for this and feel cheated. Unita has been hit or miss their best beer being the exceptional Labyrinth Black Ale. I guess I should just stick to their malty dark beers and stouts...

1.25/5  rDev -66.9%

Dated use by 12/7/14

It's turned.

ACloudy. Sediment
S:Putred.
T: Bile
M:same
O: drainpour

I dont think I like Unita.....I had a hop nosh and it was pretty bad...it was so bitter I couldnt get it down! Then I had a couple more hop nosh and and they werent that bad...but still pretty bitter.

Now I have detour and the first one out of the 4 pack gave me that same way too weird bitter earth almost skunkd taste again that my first hop nosh gave me.....I actually didnt even know they were both unita till after my first sip I said WHOOOAAA I know that nasty taste! lol
I have had like 80 different IPAs this year....and Unita is the only one that makes me not want to drink anymore!

I finished off my hop nosh making it my 4th beer of the night.....you know the stage where everything taste like a salad after 3 9%ers!

Still though even with that bitter weird taste its still ok....and much better after you already had a few in you!

I am drinking another right now....and it tastes soapy! thats it soap! flowery soap.

to view more.