2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Labyrinth Black Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Labyrinth Black AleLabyrinth Black Ale

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.20% ABV

Labyrinth Black Ale, from Uinta's new Crooked Line, was triumphant in its first competition since it was conceived earning a Gold medal in the Imperial Stout category of the competition at the 2010 North American Brewers Association Awards. Aged in rye barrels.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 06-01-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 778 | Reviews: 271 | Show All Ratings:
vfgccp

2.28/5  rDev -46.4%

Bottled June 2010. Drank Feb 2011.

A - Shiny black with no highlights. Super thin, milk chocolate head.

S - Sweet mocha, sugary booze.

T - Super sweet. Brown sugar and caramel. Big malt and coffee body mid profile, but not enough to rescue it from the candy up front.

M - Bitter pine on the back end with a rolling sweetness and a touch of booze. Full body.

D - Too sweet for my palate. A bit boozy as well.

02-22-2011 00:40:31 | More by vfgccp
Curtis

Utah

2.3/5  rDev -45.9%

I hate slamming someone else's creation, but this beer was hideous. It poured nicely, rich dark color, great head and good aroma. I had high hopes for this one. They were dashed without mercy... kinda of like my jr prom date. The first taste was overwhelming black liqourice, and not in a good way. Then came the after/off flavors in waves -anise, cardboard, bog water from the old country, maybe a little dirt ( I have an older brother and remember it well) and another that I just can't quite describe - similar to that horrible Bulgarian drink they called "beer" I had 20 years ago.. . Strangely enough, despite the horid taste, the mouthfeel was quite nice. I'm just not sure what they were going for with this one. I've had quite a few Imperial Stouts that while that style is not my first choice, I would have again without reservation. This one, never. I have to be generous and give it a 2.5 because maybe if it is your thing, you will appreciate it. But if you are a fan of Belgians, ambers or IPA's, this beer will ruin your day.

10-20-2012 03:32:23 | More by Curtis
ElCommodoro

2.51/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer was intense. I was wondering how they were going to make a "black ale" so high in alcohol. It seems it was achieved by essentially making it a stout. It did retain a very intense black malt and roasted malt flavour, though. That made it interesting. A lot of things made this beer interesting. But one overarching thing made it disgusting and that was what I call "soy sauce" flavour. I don't know what causes it, but I come across it every now and then in a very strong, dark beer. They take on the flavour and, more prominently, smell, of soy sauce. Everyone seems to agree that that is what they smell like. This is one of those rare beers with this distinct odor and it is most unpleasant. It hits immediately and hard, masking even the presence of alcohol (which is most saddening of all for me). Luckily ,after a few sips, I did start to get used to it with this particular beer. I've had more overwhelming "soy sauce" beers in the past. Underneath it, there is a lot going on and it is all most interesting and appreciated. The oak flavours are very prominent and do a very good job of adding complexity and pleasurable flavour to the strong flavour of roasted malt and licorice.
The mouthfeel wasn't very pleasant either. I like strong stouts, but this was excessively thick, oily, and yeasty. It was not nearly as bad as Jester King's Black Metal, but it suffered from the same problem. It was so thick, yeasty, and strong in flavour and harshness that it became unpleasant. This is coming from someone who thrives on strong, harsh beers. Quads and wee heavies are my favourite styles. But every now and again, I come across something that's just excessive and distasteful. This is one of those things. Interesting, yes, but absolutely not worth buying again. It was a struggle to finish the bottle between four people and only one of us could really say that we "enjoyed" the experience. They best I can muster is, "it was OK. It wasn't "that bad.'" But that's not worth a high score. In the quest for strong stouts, there are much better choices.

01-27-2013 04:19:07 | More by ElCommodoro
charlzm

2.73/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Consumed December 25, 2011 at Blue Dog Beer Tavern, Sherman Oaks, CA.

Beer is opaque black with only the slightest trace of a head.

Aroma of dark pitted fruit (plums) and booze.

First flavors are again dark pitted fruits, anise, some chocolate and wood. The flavor segues into a mid taste of woody bitterness. The finish is a wince-inducing cardboard oxidization. Whether this is a flaw in the beer or a problem with serving establishment, I can't say. Interestingly, the high ABV is not apparent in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and under-carbonated.

The drinkability of this brew is somewhat low due to the off flavors and lack of carbonation.

01-14-2012 18:12:31 | More by charlzm
Thorpe429

2.83/5  rDev -33.4%

Pours near black with a thin mocha head. Smell is strong roasted malts, coffee, and a good amount of anise. Taste is similar with black licorice really dominating the picture, overly so without any complementary flavors. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style. Slightly boozy. Not something I would grab again.

09-24-2010 12:38:12 | More by Thorpe429
GRG1313

2.9/5  rDev -31.8%

Crooked Line Series. I am not generally a fan of the wonderfully labeled Crooked Line Series of Uinta Brewing of Utah. I have been disappointed in the past but I expected "more" from this harder to get, expensive and high alcohol "black Ale."

Pours black and creamy with a thick and firm dark brown head. Looks very inviting; look rich and "expensive."

The nose is all dark sweet espresso, black chocolate with licorice underlying it. Black burnt toast but still appealing.

The mouthfeel is rich, viscous and thick with light carbonation. The beer is off balanced but still has some initial appeal in the front.

The front flavors are sweet coffee/espresso; bittersweet black chocolate, vanilla/oak and licorice. The initial appealing sweet front flavors quickly go to burnt coffee, tart aggressive licorice and then off putting bitter espresso, to finish with a very long bitter black burnt coal/coffee/licorice finish.

Interesting to taste, perhaps a sip or two with dessert and a cigar. I could never drink more than the smallest amount of this one. Interesting taste - can't really drink. Simply too intense; too extreme.

I love extreme beer but this is like a burnt bitter chocolate licorice extract. It's just too much without any finesse or elegance; no real drinkability factor.

07-20-2010 06:32:44 | More by GRG1313
mdaschaf

Washington

3.08/5  rDev -27.5%

Review from notes.

A: Pours an inky black with a rather fluffy one finger head. Decent retention and lacing. Liked the bottle art on this one.

S: Pretty nice aroma - light roasted malts, some chocolate, vanilla, and a heavy dose of licorice. There was something slightly off-putting at the end, but I couldn't place it.

T: Overwhelming licorice flavor, it dominates by far. Under the licorice there is chocolate, molasses, and a little oak.

M: Medium to full bodied, low carbonation and pretty smooth.

O: The over the top licorice wasn't for me. Had it been dialed back this would have been better, for me at least.

05-20-2011 02:09:22 | More by mdaschaf
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

the label reads "Black Ale", so i was worried this one would get away for a nonspecific title. i hate nonspecific titles. what kind of beer refers to itself simply by a color?

the aroma is boozy and sweet

most certainly an RIS/2xStout: thick and coating. strong bitterness

licorice comes mostly at the finish and in my burps. no wait...it kinda pricks the tongue and dovetails w/the roasty astingency. molasses,

i would love to sit on one of these for a couple of years

11-04-2012 02:10:01 | More by bruachan
JLeege

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Shared bottle, poured into a snifter.

Appearance- Pours out jet black with a nice dense tan head, good retention and lacing for such a monster brew.

Smell- Aromas of sweet chocolate, licorice, light coffee roast, and some subtle oak. Booze on the nose too.

Taste- Sweet chocolate and licorice start things off leading into darker fruit notes, plum particularly stands out. Then there is some very subtle oaky notes (wood, earth, vanilla, smoke). Lingering light coffee roast and sweet chocolate. Very boozy throughout the drink as well.

Mouthfeel- Medium full body with ample carbonation. A little bit sticky, a lot a bit “hot”.

Overall- Not bad, but incredibly boozy. It is 13% so you have to expect it, but it does become very distracting. Upon warming the alcohol heat all but covers up the rest of the flavor profile. Also, if I didn’t know it was oak aged, I probably wouldn’t have even picked up the “oaky” flavors. Decent overall, but I don’t think it nearly lives up to what it claims to be.

04-18-2011 22:17:18 | More by JLeege
MasterSki

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

Thanks to pokebeerdude for this extra. Served in a plastic cup at the West Lakeview Liquors pig roast.

A - Good-lucking brew! A finger of tan foam that settles to a thin ring and leaves behind spotty lace. Black with hints of orange-brown transparency at the fringes. Impressive for 13.2.%.

S - Soy, roast, oxidation, some oak and vanilla, anise, and some molasses and smoke.

T - Dark fruits, vanilla, and some strange oxidation that really shouldn't be present for a beer bottled March 31st. Not terrible, but not very interesting either.

M - It's a touch thin for the high ABV, but the alcohol is very well-hidden. Medium-low carbonation, smooth body.

D - I finished my taster but I didn't go back for any more of this one. Did this really need to be that strong?!

10-19-2010 20:58:39 | More by MasterSki
kojevergas

3.36/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Crooked Line Series. "Labyrinth Black Ale." "Ale brewed with licorice sticks and aged in oak barrels." 13.2% ABV confirmed. Bottled 09/19/12. 750ml brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap (also called a cage) over a cork acquired at a local SoCal store and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Cost was $14.00. Expectations are very high; my good friend blakelive784 told me this stuff was tasty.

Served chilled and allowed to come to room temperature over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with Swiss chocolate.

A: Pours an absolutely beautiful rich cacao tan colour head of fantastic cream, magnificent thickness, and ridiculously good (10+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Damn; that's impressive. Head isn't as vibrant or gold as the best examples of the style I've had, but it's still damned impressive. Body colour is anontransparent opaque solid jet black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Light lacing as the head slowly recedes. How they get that good a retention at this high an ABV? Marvelous.

Sm: Chocolate, marshmallow, chocolate malt, dark malts, light coffee, anise/licorice/fennel, and very light buried oak; I wouldn't know it was rye/barrel aged just from the aroma if you gave it to me blind. Cream. Caramel. Light vine and buried fruit. Maybe hazelnut? Light hop presence - but it's still more noticeable than it is in most imperial stouts I've had. Hop character is generic floral. Grainy and appealing. Chocolate is the most forward note, but there's a lot going on here. I'm excited to try it. A surprisingly mild aroma. I don't get any yeast or alcohol off the aroma. Prune/dates? Some kind of dark or stone fruit; it isn't plum. A dash of vanilla; I guess that could be from the rye? It's appealing, if timid. It doesn't bring the bold complexity I look for in great examples of the style, but it's solid all around.

T: Nice milk chocolate. Chocolate malt. Dark malts. Light caramel. Cream. Decent roast. A light trace of coffee; it's certainly not a coffee heavy imperial stout. Vanilla. Malty sweetness is more prominent than I'd like, but it's not sickeningly sweet or cloying by any means - just a bit overdone, limiting drinkability. Alcohol is well disguised here. The licorice is there, but it kind of bothers me actually. It doesn't add a lot to the beer and seems to disrupt the balance. Minimal hop presence with generic floral character. I do get a touch of alcohol presence in the third act and finish. The balance isn't ideal, but it's pretty well done all around. It lacks the astounding complexity and depth of other better examples of the style, but I do like it. I want more roast from it. Also, the oak/rye whiskey is quite timid; I wish that came through more. Where's the delightful toasted oak I want in a great imperial stout?

Mf: Silky smooth and creamy up front, but it gives way to a coarser dryer texture that doesn't do it any favors. I wish it were smooth and creamy througout; it's a bit uneven. Carbonation is good if a biteen high. Good presence on the palate. Nicely soft.

Dr: I hate the bottle format; I'd like to see imperial stouts like this one move to a smaller bottle; finishing this alone is a tall order. It's a sipper; the alcohol does come through. But it's a pleasant sipper and I wouldn't dare call it hard to drink. It's just hard to drink quickly. I think my personal aversion to licorice may be bringing my opinion of this one down, but it's certainly not without other flaws. A good offering from Uinta, but there are better beers in the style and at or below this price point. (Not that price affects my reviews). For my money, I'd sooner grab Speedway Stout for $10.49, but I'm glad I tried this.

B-

03-12-2013 03:53:18 | More by kojevergas
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev -20%

Labyrinth Black Ale has a good look to it with a very dark brown body that allows light to pass through only at the edges, which turn a dark shade of ruby. The head is a dark brown and quite large. Solid retention and a few spots of lacing stay behind. Nice label art as well.

The aroma has a lot of black malt, a kick of bourbon and some anise to it.

Labyrinth is complex, interesting, and blends the barrel aging nicely, but there is just too much damn anise for me. After a few sips all I can taste from start to finish seems to be anise. Before I reached that point, however, Labyrinth led with a good bit of black patent malt and notes of chocolate. The barrel character was mild but not weak, with spicy oak, bourbon and a hint of vanilla. Some dark fruits come through in the middle, followed by the anise.

Lively carbonation with a body that is about moderate for what is overall a good mouthfeel.

I was really looking forward to trying this bottle that has been in my fridge for a while, so I was disappointed that this one wasn't my thing. This is another one of those beers that is well made, but just didn't suit my palate. It is worth a try, however, especially at the price point.

01-07-2012 15:00:43 | More by Hojaminbag
brentk56

3.4/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Quite a scary pour, as the beer streams out like motor oil into the chalice, forming a modest tan head that leaves squiggles of lace behind

Smell: The rye barrel and brewer's licorice elements dominate the aroma, with undertones of dark chocolate and prune

Taste: Charred wood and dark chocolate, up front, with the brewer's licorice, hops and molasses flavors building by mid-palate; after the swallow, the rye barrel emerges, bringing along a boozy, charred character that dominates the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation and a lot of warmth in the gullet

Overall: Tried two from the Crooked Line series today (for the first time) and really didn't enjoy either one of them; while this had an interesting range of flavors, it was ultimately too boozy and harsh on the tongue to be enjoyable; I am not familiar with the Utah laws but it is almost as if, having finally been freed up to brew high ABV beers, Uinta is unleashing the brewed equivalent of a testosterone-overloaded adolescent

04-29-2012 00:29:47 | More by brentk56
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.45/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a tulip with a gigantic head. Lots of creamy tan foam covers the black body. Quite attractive.

Nice chocolatey aroma up front. I actually detect a bit of minty hops and other herbal aromas. Maybe sage? Not a bad contrast to the sweet chocolate milk like aroma.

The taste starts out dry and bitter. The roasted flavor smooths out into creamy chocolate taste, and finally finishes with a bitter, herbal taste. The finish is again, nice and dry.

The carbonation deceptively makes this brew feel more viscous than it is, and is a little too prickly for my liking. It is relatively light in body for the style; must be well attenuated.

Not the most drinkable, but a nice sipper. I could see myself trying this one again some time. It is a delicious beer to be sure, but the imperial stout category is very competitive and their are more interesting and complex options out there to be sure.

11-22-2010 03:48:57 | More by andrewinski1
Mavajo

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours black with a brown head. An aggressive pour yields a thin head. No lacing. Aroma is oak, bourbon, caramel, roast and hops. Taste is licorice, with roasty/charred notes, and a mild bourbon backbone. The char/roast lingers long on the palate. Sticky. Mouthfeel is medium with average carbonation - a bit watery.

Aroma is pretty good. Taste is OK. There are better bourbon barrel stouts out there. The long roasty aftertaste is a major downer. Even 15 minutes later, that roastiness was still parching my palate.

07-25-2012 01:13:21 | More by Mavajo
julian89

Georgia

3.45/5  rDev -18.8%

So my buddy and I drank this after drinking several other beers shortly before, I was fairly buzzed but he insisted I rate it... so here is my exact rating. The rating is probably low due to the fact that I didn't really know what I was really rating. I put my current comments in parentheses. Scudder for your humor...

Laby rinth 22oz into pint glass
Black ale

Appearance: Opaque blackness with a 1/2 inch off white head with minimal retention.

Smell: Dark choclit espresso like normal. Such darkness and malt (redundant and useless statement). ABV is prononced. Sweetness is high.

Taste: Such licorice and dark sugars & malts. Very strong and sweet. Can't associate with a hop profile. Good but I'm ready to sleep now after 4 previous beers of 6-9%.

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied-light carb.

Drinkability: Licorice and dark sugar dominate. It is very warm for a thick stout.

Sooo... basically I write even more like a blithering idiot when I'm fairly boozed up. This is kind of humiliating. I have drank this since and it is fantastic.

09-24-2012 15:45:17 | More by julian89
alexhahn82

3.48/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 4/14/11 - tasted 6/20/110

A -- Black, coffee like 1/2 finger head.

S - Coffee, Chocolate, Toffee.

T/M Coffee, chocolatey with a late finish of licorice. Bitey mide range with nice effervescence, rich dark chocolate bitterness.

O - 13.2%, def. a good beer, had some with a Uinta Rep. up at the Lander Wyoming beer festival about a month ago and had to get another bottle ASAP!

PP (Price Point) - $13 for a 750ml bottle, thats a little over a dollar per ABV point! Well worth it, give it a try!!

06-29-2011 01:59:48 | More by alexhahn82
Rifugium

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

After seeing this beer around so much, I figured I'd have to give it a try sooner or later. And I did. The end.

Dark brown-black color with a finger or less of tan head. Aroma of dark malts, slightly roasty, cocoa, and sweet soy sauce that seemed a bit misplaced. Quite a bit of alcohol in the taste up front--only upon the first sip did I notice the 13%+ ABV rating there--dark roasted malts, cocoa and vanilla bean, bourbony, but not in a smooth way; notes of licorice and oak, maybe just a hint of dark fruits, but not much; warming finish with some noticeable hoppage. Medium body, and decent overall, but with so many better stout options, I think I'll pass on this one if I see it offered again.

01-07-2012 11:42:33 | More by Rifugium
Bfarr

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottled 6/11
Black with a foamy brown head with no retention. Toasted oak, chocolate and a light herbal aroma. Molasses and cocoa with a strong chocolate sweetness and herbal and licorice notes. Thick feel with virtually no carbonation.

I wonder why this was even corked with so little carbonation developing. It really pours more like a wine than a beer without having a lot of the complexity. I’ve enjoyed other subtle Uinta offerings and the flavor is good while being a nice sipping high ABV beer, but its overall look and feel make it a little more average. At least in name it was a great pairing with “Anonymous”.

09-08-2012 13:27:17 | More by Bfarr
i4ourgot

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bourbon dominates this beer in flavor and aroma. This beer is black coffee black with a dark brown head. The aroma is mostly bourbon with a slight coffee aroma. This beer is thick and the alcohol can be felt after a few sips with a warming in the stomach. Bourbon dominates the flavor especially in the start it was almost all I could taste. Then after a few sips some of the chocolate and coffee flavors become noticeable. There is some alcohol noticeable (not the bourbon). Not a beer for a hot summer day.

02-25-2014 18:38:09 | More by i4ourgot
Onenote81

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle split with some friends at a tasting back in August. Reviewed from notes.

Deep dark black pour. A wispy beige head caps it off nicely. Nose is heavy with licorice, dark malts, old coffee. This beer is thick and filling. A perfect sipping brew for the cold months. Hints of oak, molasses, syrup on the palate, but the licorice comes through with a bang. As does the booze. Wow. This is a beer to be split with friends. In no way could I polish off a bomber on my own. Not one I will revisit often, but a treat nonetheless.

10-27-2011 15:03:13 | More by Onenote81
blakelive784

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

1 pt 9.4 fl oz corked and caged brown glass bottle (bottled 1/24/12)served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours an opaque jet black color with four fingers of thick, creamy chocolate colored head. Retention is amazingly good at over 13% alcohol and there's sticky cream lacing when it finally recedes. Impressive.

S - Sweet rich chocolates, light toasty oak, cream, faint coffee, and sweet licorice. Caramel and toffee throughout. Restrained roasted malt. Prune and currant. On the sweet end. I get no alcohol on the nose. A touch of vanilla. Moderate strength.

T - The licorice is a dominate note. I wish it were more restrained. Light creamy milk chocolate and roasted malts buried under the heavy licorice. Bitter coffee towards the end. Underwhelming oak. A touch of alcohol warmth on the finish, but the ABV is remarkably well hidden. Surprisingly mild.

M - Full bodied, thick and smooth.

D - Incredible drinkability. Suffers a little bit from some flavors (oak, roast) being a bit too restrained. Could be great with a little work.

03-21-2013 01:28:34 | More by blakelive784
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Cork needed a corkscrew...once again.

Appearance:
I like the bottle's appearance, nice artwork.
This beer looks yummy with a fluffy bread-like tan head and jet black body. Dense lacing as the once inch thick head drops to a more reasonable centimeter. I paired this beer with some Chinese food and boy does the meal look sophisticated.

Smell:
There are dark notes of chocolate and fruit. Pungent alcohol, aromas what I have come to expect in an Imperial stout. A light vanilla is made more potent as the beer warms. This may be a stretch, but there is a fresh-cut grassy earthiness that may just be spice from the hops.

Taste:
My first sip made me cough, I double checked the %abv and knew why. There is a strong maltiness with a roasty bitterness that lingers. The sweetness of general Tso's chicken is actually a rocking combo to this beer's slightly undesirable aftertaste.
This beer definitely packs a punch, but is lacking in overall flavor. The alcohol in this beer just plain distracting; I would prefer an abv like this in a richer/maltier beer to help thin out sweetness.

Mouthfeel:
Potent ethanol, some malt that fades as you drink and a roasty bitterness that coats the palate. There are no real subtleties, any spice that I thought was detected in the nose is undetectable in the taste and mouthfeel.

Overall:
Too expensive!! I'm willing to pay some absurd prices for beers, but I have trouble finding full value associated with this beer (aka I've paid less for better). Not a bad beer, I enjoyed it while drinking. However, i believe the beer's alcohol is overpowering (and possibly what's driving up the price), and would have preferred something with more flavor.

Cheers.

05-01-2011 04:25:38 | More by ThePorterSorter
nickhiller

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

A: soy sauce, in both color and viscosity, thin and brief brown foam

S: yummy sweet malty malts, sherry, savory meat, like a nice soy sauce and garlic marinade.

T: salty and smoky, burnt toast and wood (someone said hickory, sounds right) linger on the finish, followed in short order by throat-coating spicy alcohol.

M: thick and syrupy

O: very liquor-y, but not really any licorice. Has this weird savory/salty/umami thing going on that I'm not really into.

10-29-2011 03:59:33 | More by nickhiller
Lawl3ss

3.64/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Lightly chilled 150 ml Cork & Cage into 33 cl tulips.

Look- Extravagant, pours with three fingers of toasted marshmallow head that falls over a few minutes leaving a dense cap. Insane curtains and lacing despite the ABV. Deep, deep ruby brown. One of the better-looking strong darks I've seen.

Smell- Deep char, baker's chocolate and licorice, dry wood. Overall pretty subtle, but promising.

Taste- Extremely nutty, light booze, licorice and tons of wood. Starts with the impression of sweetness but finishes roasty, pretty clean with less char than expected. Mild smoke flavor emerges after the glass is half empty. Spicy, impression of oats and rye. The wood is maaaybe a bit much, but overall things stay workable and keep this 13%+ brew in check.

Mouthfeel- Silky, almost oily. Just enough carbonation to lighten it up. You'd never know that this was over 8%, let alone 13.2. I'd even go so far to say that it finishes pretty dry. Woody presence builds and eventually comes across as moderately tannic- really though, who needs to drink more than 12 oz?

Overall- Unique, absolutely worth trying. Nice take on licorice- comes across as an accent rather than the focus. Not unreasonably priced either, but have someone to split it with. On the whole though, not something I'd try again- what's there is bold, but it's not quite what I'm looking for in a one-drink-and-I'm-done brew.

10-27-2013 00:18:43 | More by Lawl3ss