Labyrinth Black Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Labyrinth Black AleLabyrinth Black Ale

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.20% ABV

Labyrinth Black Ale, from Uinta's new Crooked Line, was triumphant in its first competition since it was conceived earning a Gold medal in the Imperial Stout category of the competition at the 2010 North American Brewers Association Awards. Aged in rye barrels.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 06-01-2010)

DenverBigRed, Oct 31, 2013

bhawk1, Oct 30, 2013

deac83, Oct 29, 2013

6thstreetbrewpub, Oct 27, 2013

JohnBender, Oct 27, 2013

bbadger, Oct 27, 2013
3.64/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Lightly chilled 150 ml Cork & Cage into 33 cl tulips.

Look- Extravagant, pours with three fingers of toasted marshmallow head that falls over a few minutes leaving a dense cap. Insane curtains and lacing despite the ABV. Deep, deep ruby brown. One of the better-looking strong darks I've seen.

Smell- Deep char, baker's chocolate and licorice, dry wood. Overall pretty subtle, but promising.

Taste- Extremely nutty, light booze, licorice and tons of wood. Starts with the impression of sweetness but finishes roasty, pretty clean with less char than expected. Mild smoke flavor emerges after the glass is half empty. Spicy, impression of oats and rye. The wood is maaaybe a bit much, but overall things stay workable and keep this 13%+ brew in check.

Mouthfeel- Silky, almost oily. Just enough carbonation to lighten it up. You'd never know that this was over 8%, let alone 13.2. I'd even go so far to say that it finishes pretty dry. Woody presence builds and eventually comes across as moderately tannic- really though, who needs to drink more than 12 oz?

Overall- Unique, absolutely worth trying. Nice take on licorice- comes across as an accent rather than the focus. Not unreasonably priced either, but have someone to split it with. On the whole though, not something I'd try again- what's there is bold, but it's not quite what I'm looking for in a one-drink-and-I'm-done brew.

Lawl3ss, Oct 27, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

retry4z, Oct 26, 2013

Gagnonsux, Oct 24, 2013

mattsmith413, Oct 24, 2013

drummermattie02, Oct 22, 2013

frogfan, Oct 21, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours dark chocolate, no light even at the edges- makes this snifter look like an orb containing the void of outer space. Looks thick, but not syrupy. One of the best heads I've ever seen; deep, thick, and a dark coffee brown with little glimmers of light, as if it has tiny crystals in it. Lacing is surprisingly not gluey; it will return to the mothership fairly quickly.

S: Dark chocolate and oak hit me hard, touches of vanilla in there too. Supremely dark and forward, I'm actually a little afraid the flavors will knock me on my ass too hard.

T: Perfectly strong without wrecking my taste buds. Dark bitter chocolate, oak and wood, undertones of vanilla and even cream. Every now and then I get touches of licorice. I was both excited and nervous about the licorice aspect; I'm relieved to find that it doesn't play a major role and make this brew crazily bitter (even though I do enjoy licorice), but I'm also a little disappointed that it is, for the most part, not too far off from other black ales or IS's. Still, it is outstanding. If I get disappointed by the lack of strong licorice flavor, I take another sip and am reminded of all the good in it. Finish is long and winds itself down nicely- licorice most apparent here. Crazily high alcohol content is hidden extremely well.

M: Creamy smooth with the effervescence to save it from being flat. One of the least syrupy dark beers I've ever tried, while containing that astronomical ABV. Outstanding.

O: I was afraid of this beer. I love my dark and bitter brews, but this one still scared me. Licorice? Combined with oak? How could that possibly turn out well? But I am on the other side now, and I beckon you to follow me. Its vision is alluring, its smells weeds out the weak and rewards the strong, the flavors timeless and yet singular, and the feel a pillow for your throat and bed of nails for your tongue (in a good way). If you have the balls, try it.

1000lbgrizzly, Oct 16, 2013