Labyrinth Black Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Labyrinth Black AleLabyrinth Black Ale

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.20% ABV

Labyrinth Black Ale, from Uinta's new Crooked Line, was triumphant in its first competition since it was conceived earning a Gold medal in the Imperial Stout category of the competition at the 2010 North American Brewers Association Awards. Aged in rye barrels.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 06-01-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
harrymel

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottled 07JUN12

Pours inky black with a nice graham toasty top. Smells of malts, chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, whisky and oak come together. Rich mutha. Dark roasted malts, some leather, molasses, dates, dark on dark chocolate, cocoa nibs, coffee and hints of licorice and oak, nice and sweet with a good earthen balance. Thick and viscous, sticky and slick with a warm finish. Nice beer, took me by surprise. Ready to drink as well, I wouldn't age this one.

10-15-2012 03:55:20 | More by harrymel
ystazi

10-11-2012 19:43:01 | More by ystazi
2GOOFY

10-10-2012 00:35:58 | More by 2GOOFY
mscudder

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

An absolute beast of a beer. Enjoying this one again, almost by myself after my friend wimped out. Needless to say I was sleeping shortly thereafter.

A - Opaque black with a thin head. Not a large amount retention here.

S - Dark chocolate, espresso, liquorice and big booze.

T - Liquorice, dark malts and big time sweet sugar. Lots of warmth from the alcohol.

M - Medium-full body with light carbonation.

O - Very interesting beer that is unlike any other I have ever had. First time I came across this one, my palette told me, "Damn! You are out of your league on this one!" Second time around this is an enjoyable beer, just not for the feint of heart.

10-10-2012 00:31:54 | More by mscudder
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours like 5 year old motor oil and black as pitch. A full three-finger head of insanely fine bubbles that cant be considered any shade of "tan"; it's straight up brown. Lots of spider web- sticky lacing.

S - Smells super sweet with chocolate mousse, brownie, and roasted espresso beans leading the charge.

T - Big and rich. Sweet upfront, with dark chocolate, espresso, mild licorice, carmelized/burnt brown sugar, and just a hint of dark fruit (whisky soaked cherries). Wood aging allows a very pleasing bitterness and complexity to what otherwise would probably be a little cloying. Bitterness comes from the oak as opposed to hops, which are pretty much undetectable. Alcohol present, but hey....it's 13.2%! For that percentage, it's pretty damn drinkable.

M - Very low carbonation. Suitably thick and chewy. Finishes just a shade dry.

O - A very good RIS. I really enjoyed some of the subtle touches (licorice, oak) and the flavor profile just comes together really nicely. Definitely a serious sipper. Would buy again.

10-09-2012 04:02:33 | More by TempeBeerMan

ambruns1979

10-01-2012 05:58:35 | More by ambruns1979
RblWthACoz

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Beer #46 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

Well, I can tell you what Uinta does not need with this Crooked Line series: tighter corks.

Been a long time since I have had a big stout. And this definitely fits that description. Big, chewy, meaty. There is definitely a good but of licorice here, but thankfully it doesn't go overboard. I hate licorice. But, I like how it is incorporated into this beer. Gives only an accent and doesn't hijack the beer at all; which I definitely appreciate.

Overall, a good impy stout. Very thick and robust. Could deal with some aging to mellow things out. But as it stands, it works out fairly well.

09-27-2012 04:18:13 | More by RblWthACoz
ffOpusx

09-24-2012 16:43:57 | More by ffOpusx
julian89

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

So my buddy and I drank this after drinking several other beers shortly before, I was fairly buzzed but he insisted I rate it... so here is my exact rating. The rating is probably low due to the fact that I didn't really know what I was really rating. I put my current comments in parentheses. Scudder for your humor...

Laby rinth 22oz into pint glass
Black ale

Appearance: Opaque blackness with a 1/2 inch off white head with minimal retention.

Smell: Dark choclit espresso like normal. Such darkness and malt (redundant and useless statement). ABV is prononced. Sweetness is high.

Taste: Such licorice and dark sugars & malts. Very strong and sweet. Can't associate with a hop profile. Good but I'm ready to sleep now after 4 previous beers of 6-9%.

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied-light carb.

Drinkability: Licorice and dark sugar dominate. It is very warm for a thick stout.

Sooo... basically I write even more like a blithering idiot when I'm fairly boozed up. This is kind of humiliating. I have drank this since and it is fantastic.

09-24-2012 15:45:17 | More by julian89
ladyivory

4.75/5  rDev +12%

09-12-2012 14:34:54 | More by ladyivory
Bfarr

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottled 6/11
Black with a foamy brown head with no retention. Toasted oak, chocolate and a light herbal aroma. Molasses and cocoa with a strong chocolate sweetness and herbal and licorice notes. Thick feel with virtually no carbonation.

I wonder why this was even corked with so little carbonation developing. It really pours more like a wine than a beer without having a lot of the complexity. I’ve enjoyed other subtle Uinta offerings and the flavor is good while being a nice sipping high ABV beer, but its overall look and feel make it a little more average. At least in name it was a great pairing with “Anonymous”.

09-08-2012 13:27:17 | More by Bfarr

Indiana

09-04-2012 01:33:14 | More by bozodogbreath
maximum12

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Blessings on MarkVegas for this appealing extra in a recent trade. 750ML bottle split with my wife.

I was confused by the 'black ale' label - big stout. OK. That's clearer. Pours like it, too, with plenty of pop in the cork. Nose brings serious wood to my shorts - great roast, whiskey, vanilla, sweet honeyed malts, chocolate. Dead-on yippee.

Labyrinth is a credit to its genre...wow. Wow. Did I say wow? This is a work of artistic genius. The nose is amplified & amped up. Great whiskey-soaked chocolate up front, backed by insanely rich sweet malts. Roast & vanilla sweep through the midsection. Smooth. Cleaner than the cleanest IPA, the only aftertaste is the lingering roast, then I'm ready for the next sip. Having trouble not sucking this down like a Hummer at the pump. I mean, well, you know what I mean.

This is a gorgeous beer. If you haven't had it, seek it out.

08-29-2012 02:44:16 | More by maximum12
strongaf

08-24-2012 07:13:31 | More by strongaf
iKrystin

08-24-2012 06:24:14 | More by iKrystin
XicanoBeerRun

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I got this on draft at the Todd English PUB next to the Aria hotel in Vegas. It was 106 degrees outside, but I did not want to pass up the chance to drink this double stout. It was a great beer experience regardless of the heat outside.

Black pour with cocoa brown head. Not too thick like some stouts, and well carbonated.

S: malty, roasty. T: chocolate, barrel, roasty, some bitterness from the hops comes through especially in the finish. I had an ipa before drinking this so I feel like I missed out on some potential complexities. It was fantastic.

FYI the Whole Foods sold the 750 ml bottle, and in retrospect, I should have picked it up

I'll have another.

08-21-2012 18:44:13 | More by XicanoBeerRun
ryko

Nevada

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

08-21-2012 08:26:06 | More by ryko
Georgiabeer

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours pitch black with very little head, thick and viscous in the glass. Lots of licorice in the nose, and not too sweet- dry and almost dusty. It almost smells chewy. Surprisingly smooth and mild given the huge abv. Lots more licorice in the mouth with additional notes of bitter chocolate, ash, vanilla, and some roasted grains. Not charred tasting, but the ashy minerality contributes to a slight smokiness and drys the beer out quite a bit. Some sweetness from the licorice. Again, the tastes seem chewy, but the beer is silky smooth. Nice. Probably the best beer I've had from Uinta- and not just another run-of-the-mill RIS either. Well done.

08-20-2012 02:40:32 | More by Georgiabeer