Labyrinth Black Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.20% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 06-01-2010

Labyrinth Black Ale, from Uinta's new Crooked Line, was triumphant in its first competition since it was conceived earning a Gold medal in the Imperial Stout category of the competition at the 2010 North American Brewers Association Awards. Aged in rye barrels.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Beer #46 in my great Utah Brew Hunt.

Well, I can tell you what Uinta does not need with this Crooked Line series: tighter corks.

Been a long time since I have had a big stout. And this definitely fits that description. Big, chewy, meaty. There is definitely a good but of licorice here, but thankfully it doesn't go overboard. I hate licorice. But, I like how it is incorporated into this beer. Gives only an accent and doesn't hijack the beer at all; which I definitely appreciate.

Overall, a good impy stout. Very thick and robust. Could deal with some aging to mellow things out. But as it stands, it works out fairly well.

3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

So my buddy and I drank this after drinking several other beers shortly before, I was fairly buzzed but he insisted I rate it... so here is my exact rating. The rating is probably low due to the fact that I didn't really know what I was really rating. I put my current comments in parentheses. Scudder for your humor...

Laby rinth 22oz into pint glass
Black ale

Appearance: Opaque blackness with a 1/2 inch off white head with minimal retention.

Smell: Dark choclit espresso like normal. Such darkness and malt (redundant and useless statement). ABV is prononced. Sweetness is high.

Taste: Such licorice and dark sugars & malts. Very strong and sweet. Can't associate with a hop profile. Good but I'm ready to sleep now after 4 previous beers of 6-9%.

Mouthfeel: medium-light bodied-light carb.

Drinkability: Licorice and dark sugar dominate. It is very warm for a thick stout.

Sooo... basically I write even more like a blithering idiot when I'm fairly boozed up. This is kind of humiliating. I have drank this since and it is fantastic.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%

Bottled 6/11
Black with a foamy brown head with no retention. Toasted oak, chocolate and a light herbal aroma. Molasses and cocoa with a strong chocolate sweetness and herbal and licorice notes. Thick feel with virtually no carbonation.

I wonder why this was even corked with so little carbonation developing. It really pours more like a wine than a beer without having a lot of the complexity. I’ve enjoyed other subtle Uinta offerings and the flavor is good while being a nice sipping high ABV beer, but its overall look and feel make it a little more average. At least in name it was a great pairing with “Anonymous”.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Blessings on MarkVegas for this appealing extra in a recent trade. 750ML bottle split with my wife.

I was confused by the 'black ale' label - big stout. OK. That's clearer. Pours like it, too, with plenty of pop in the cork. Nose brings serious wood to my shorts - great roast, whiskey, vanilla, sweet honeyed malts, chocolate. Dead-on yippee.

Labyrinth is a credit to its genre...wow. Wow. Did I say wow? This is a work of artistic genius. The nose is amplified & amped up. Great whiskey-soaked chocolate up front, backed by insanely rich sweet malts. Roast & vanilla sweep through the midsection. Smooth. Cleaner than the cleanest IPA, the only aftertaste is the lingering roast, then I'm ready for the next sip. Having trouble not sucking this down like a Hummer at the pump. I mean, well, you know what I mean.

This is a gorgeous beer. If you haven't had it, seek it out.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

I got this on draft at the Todd English PUB next to the Aria hotel in Vegas. It was 106 degrees outside, but I did not want to pass up the chance to drink this double stout. It was a great beer experience regardless of the heat outside.

Black pour with cocoa brown head. Not too thick like some stouts, and well carbonated.

S: malty, roasty. T: chocolate, barrel, roasty, some bitterness from the hops comes through especially in the finish. I had an ipa before drinking this so I feel like I missed out on some potential complexities. It was fantastic.

FYI the Whole Foods sold the 750 ml bottle, and in retrospect, I should have picked it up

I'll have another.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours pitch black with very little head, thick and viscous in the glass. Lots of licorice in the nose, and not too sweet- dry and almost dusty. It almost smells chewy. Surprisingly smooth and mild given the huge abv. Lots more licorice in the mouth with additional notes of bitter chocolate, ash, vanilla, and some roasted grains. Not charred tasting, but the ashy minerality contributes to a slight smokiness and drys the beer out quite a bit. Some sweetness from the licorice. Again, the tastes seem chewy, but the beer is silky smooth. Nice. Probably the best beer I've had from Uinta- and not just another run-of-the-mill RIS either. Well done.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Labyrinth Black Ale
Uinta Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial Stout
ABV: 13.20 %

LOOK: Dark, oily, with little head, oil slicks. Scary mean looking bruiser of an Imperial Stout fashion.

SMELL: Roasted malts, over ripe fruits, alcohol, hops.

TASTE: Lots of roasted flavor, dark chocolates, whiskey, coffee, strong boozy rye notes. Alcohol , dark malts, strange fruit.

FEEL: Thick, oily, med/low carb.

OVERALL: Whats not to like about a beer like this. A merciless beast who you can conquer with a dessert of chocolate malt brownies.

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

Looks misty brown-black in this dim light. Head didn't form/hold. Enjoying my intro to Uinta!

Bittersweet cocoa, spry oak, vanilla bean, and earthy hops. Black licorice and hefty roast. Smells pretty damn nice.

Sweet stout-like flavors of roasted sugars, chocolate, light coffee, oakiness, dark vinous fruits, licorice, and a warming alcohol note. Lots of woody tones of oak spirals. Minor whiskey notes. Too thin a feel for a stout. I think they may have been going for an Imperial Stout flavor-wise, but missed the mark.

Excellent black ale with amazingly-disguised strength. Feels like a 9.5% sipper.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter.

5.0 A: Black color. Two and a half fingers of light brown, creamy head. Retention is very good, especially for a brew this big. Glass covering lacing is left.

4.5 S: Lots of licorice in this, which I'm usually not a fan of, but it works so well with the rest of the aromas. Deep supple roastiness, rich dark chocolate, loads of molasses, and creamy caramel. The rye barrel plays a complementary role and adds a spicy earthiness and light leather. Very nice.

4.5 T: Taste is as good as the nose. Licorice starts things off again. Rich maltiness in the form of molasses, caramel, and dark chocolate. Heavy, though manageable roastiness. Rich and decadent - the flavors presented run deep. Again the rye adds a spicy earthiness and a bit of leather and vanilla. Booze doesn't come into play at all.

4.5 M: Heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Nice creaminess and superbly smooth.

4.5 D: Really fucking tasty. I'm a bit surprised how much I like it. Big bold flavors that merge seemlessly

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Pours pitch black with a finger of dense brown foam. Retention is above average.

S: Tons of dark chocolate with molasses, light licorice, and peaty whiskey. Almost smells as though this was aged in a scotch barrel.

T: Tons of dark chocolate mixed with toffee, caramel, smooth coffee, and light licorice. I get quite a bit of oak and a bit of peaty scotch, though not as strong as the aroma. Though a bit on the sweet side, this beer is extremely complex.

M: Quite thick with light, but adequate carbonation.

O: I'm really upset I waited so long to try this beer. I never tried it since I'm not a licorice fan and the beer boasts of licorice as a flavor. This beer is extremely complex and very tasty.

Labyrinth Black Ale from Uinta Brewing Company