Cockeyed Cooper - Uinta Brewing Company

Uinta Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

American Barleywine |  11.10% ABV

Aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: Daniellobo on 06-03-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cockeyed Cooper Alström Bros
mtparty37

01-25-2012 21:01:55 | More by mtparty37
stinkboy13

12-02-2011 04:36:28 | More by stinkboy13
Travisnin

Idaho

11-14-2011 08:21:16 | More by Travisnin
klopez1253

I'm partial to Uinta's high alcohol beers because I know they come out of a context of 3.2/4.0 beers; the high alcohol beers could be terrible and they would still stand out, and command an audience and a market in that context. But Uinta's high alcohol beers can stand up to anyone's.

My first reaction when I tried this beer, in a bourbon barrel version, was simply "Wow." It had great taste and great subtlety (for a barleywine ale) and the bonus of the bourbon barrel. Should all my beers be so powerful and profound.

In appearance it is a dark brown, with little lacing.

The smell is beer with a little fruit in front of it -- not too strong an alcohol nose.

The taste is a malty front with a bourbon barrel back; the hops bite is there but is subsumed by the malt and the bourbon (to me, an ideal proportion).

The mouthfeel is reasonably carbonated but not too much nor too little, and overall this is one of the great beers I've ever had: I don't think I would give 5.0's this much to too many brews, but this one seemed to deserve it.

03-29-2012 04:47:25 | More by klopez1253

11-19-2011 19:30:01 | More by whallgren
obrendano

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

all the 5's are a little egregious, but I swear with one sip this beer rocketed into the stratosphere of my favorites list

A - sunburst red body, foamy tan head that just doesn't die, even at a high ABV

S - notable sharp pineapple hop profile, malt and whisky complete the background

T - amazing. sharp bite of pineapple from the hops, sweet caramel malt, vanilla notes, delicious bourbon tone throughout. this is fabulous stuff

M - creamy, chewy and perfectly bubbly. warming to everything it touches

O - this is a great one. start decently cold and go slow, it opens up beautifully as it warms

12-07-2011 21:31:03 | More by obrendano
Ohmmygawd

4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

Every once in a while you get that beer. The one beer (or barley wine) that makes it all better. THIS was that beer today.

A- Poured so perfectly with about 2 fingers of a rich carmel head.

S- Rich molasses with hints of cherry or strawberry. I swear this is heaven.

T- Rolls over the tongue like a good bourbon and finishes with a bite. ABV 11.1%

M- Thick and creamy while sitting high on the tongue.

O- I'd like to think that every review depends on environment and timing for the individual but this beer was exactly what the doctor ordered and the taste was out of this world. I highly recommend it. Especially if you like bourbon or irish whiskey.

Cheers!

01-04-2014 23:07:07 | More by Ohmmygawd
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Sampling a cellar aged bottle that was bottled on 4/2010.
Poured into a snifter the beer is a deep dark mahogany hue with minimal beige head of about 1 cm.
Aroma is rich malty and complex with brown sugar, dark fruit, figs, some bourbon and a bit of booziness that makes me realize this may be a sipping beer.
First sip reveals an average body with smooth silky texture. Very mild rolling carbonation.
Flavor is malty and sweet and complex with molasses, figs, prunes, bourbon, toffee and a bit of dark chocolate. Fairly complex flavor profile. I get a little warm booze on each swallow but it isnt unpleasant. Complex flavors with the malts dominant.
This beer catches up with me by the end of the 750 ml, but is intensely enjoyable and represents a well made barrel aged B-wine.
I would definitely buy this beer again if I found it on the shelves.

03-03-2012 06:51:18 | More by sulldaddy

02-22-2013 16:02:52 | More by tsco7
searsclone

Arizona

4.73/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into an oversize wine glass. Bottled 06/22/12 and reviewed 02/11/13.

Pours dark red with a huge, rocky, tan head with tons of bubbles up the sides of the glass.

Smell is huge! Raisins, plums, and bread. Followed by spice and alcohol, caramel and dark chocolate.

Taste is fantastic! Vanilla, caramel, cream, roasted malt, toast, bread, alcohol. Boozy and warming, with a spicy finish.

Mouth feel is creamy and velvety and chewy.

Overall, a really great barley wine.

02-12-2013 02:52:43 | More by searsclone
mfunk9786

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

The moment I popped the cork on this one, I realized I couldn't go back. Go back to a time that this was sitting in my fridge, staring at me with its awesome, hilarious label. Taunting me.

A: The cork popped with a whimper rather than a bang. The beer is undeniably gorgeous. It's a dark brown with hints of gold, a no-nonsense barleywine look with head that just wants to be part of the fun, to varying degrees of success. Just too wonderful to look at.

S: Vanilla, oak, and raisins dominate the aroma, with an absolutely captivating finish of how-do-they-still-smell-so-good fresh hops. I would buy an air freshener for my car that smells like this.

T: My first sip sort of frightened me. I'm alone to enjoy this brew, and I know that my fiance wouldn't like this flavor bomb, but that doesn't curb my regret. I feel like Caligula drinking this without sharing. It does not allow for big sips: once it coats your tongue, the sweet and sour malty oaky business and citric hop quality doesn't allow you to take too much at once. One of the most full-bodied beers I have ever tasted. The alcohol is completely masked. I implore everyone to have at least a sip of this. And to think: I was saving my bottle of Labyrinth because I assumed it would be the better beer. I can't imagine this brewery making something that tastes better than this.

M: A bit syrupy, but in a pleasing way that counteracts the hop bite (This was barrel aged! How do they have such a fresh bite?!) and lends a lot of smoothness to the more astringently liquorish qualities of the bourbon flavor. What could have this alcohol-on-the-tongue dissolving feeling instead coats and pleases the mouth. Great stuff here.

D: It's a sipper. But at a price of $12-$18 per bottle depending on where you buy it, this still feels like an incredible bargain compared to some of the pretenders out there.

I would buy a case of this to pop open on every special occasion that I observe over the next ten years. It's that level of special.

09-21-2010 01:54:49 | More by mfunk9786