Cockeyed Cooper - Uinta Brewing Company

Utah, United States

American Barleywine |  11.10% ABV

Beer added by: Daniellobo on 06-03-2010

Aged in bourbon barrels.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cockeyed Cooper Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a tulip. Nice large light tan head. The body color is medium-dark amber.

The aroma has nice vanilla and apple; and is evidently sweet.

The taste starts out with sweet fruit with a hint of pear. The vanilla and oak notes are dominant towards the finish. There is a bit of minty hop flavor in the finish as well, adding a bit of bitterness as well.

The body on this one is pretty big, but the carbonation makes this feel marshmallow fluffy in the mouth. I really like the carbonation on this one.

This really delivers in my opinion; it is on the sweeter side but has quite a bit of complexity.

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

#300 on my list of reviewed beers, but probably somewhere around 2,000 that I've had...no, not tonight. It took at least a few weeks.

I was going to go with something more special to commemorate #300, but my wife made me open this. I guess an 11.1% barleywine from Utah is pretty darn special, so I poured it joyfully. Never pour a beer joyfully...you tend to overpour and get most of the head all over your bass amp if you've poorly positioned your bass amp as a convenient flat surface right next to the computer desk.

No, I haven't had any yet. I'm like this all the time. The head has had a chance to descend as I prattle on and it has left the most amazing honeycomb lace I've ever seen. I took a picture that I posted on Facebook account.

The smell has the typical, oops-I-just-spilled-bourbon-all-over-my-aging-leather-car-seats (don't drink and drive, this is what can happen!), bourbon barrel-aged barleywine smell. Read it again, it actually does make sense. Sweet smell from the malts balances it just a little, but the bourbon's vinous notes are pretty overwhelming.

Bourbon-soaked figs, sweetened with vanilla and treacle and covered with a thin layer of chocolate is what I'm tasting here. Don't get the chocolate...burp. It's there. There is a detectable citrus underpinning and some pine to boot. But it's hop pine, rather than the pine you get form the barrel, which is there too. It's not often that a barleywine utilizes hops in true balance to what is usually a cloying style of beer. Bravo!

It's rare that a barleywine is this drinkable. I know that's no longer a BA category, but I think it bears mentioning. I could easily finish this whole bottle myself and then try to piece together the rest of the evening a la The Hangover, but alas, my wife has poured herself a glass and I'll only get 14 ounces of it. The point here is that the alcohol is exceptionally well masked. So barleywine fans that are looking for a burn, uh uh...not here...so sorry.

I can't help but wonder if this was born from the Uinta Anniversary barleywines. It's got their stamp of quality on it: great head (and the foam on top of the beer is pretty good too, <snare><rim shot>), nice balance and an ABV that would make Brigham Young blaspheme. I can't help but feel that many have underestimated this offering and it is by far my favorite product from Uinta's little side project. I can't help a lot of things, like global warming (it's actually climate change, not necessarily warming), the vagaries of the stock market (it's all voodoo baby), the popularity of talentless fucks (yeah, I'm looking at you Rid Rock, Gaga, and Bieber) or my overwhelming desire to sleep with Salma Hayek (my wife never reads these reviews, with my luck she'll read this one).

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark mahagony with tan head and foam. Energetic bubbling for a barleywine.

The aroma is full of toasted caramel and crystal malts. Mix that with bourbon, oak, and a high abv. % and you have a barley wine aroma with a kick.

The hips and alcohol combine to make a pretty spicey flavor and palate throughout every sip. The carbonation distotys what would be an awesome caramel malt and bourbon flavor. The carbonation seems to what would be a complex malt bill. Just a hint of bourbon. I wouldn't know this beer was aged in bourbon barrels unless I was told.

Bubbly barleywine with a very warm, alcoholic palate. There's a little bourbon flavor, but you almost wouldn't know it unless you were told. Spicey palate and falvr profile makes this barley wine a little sub-par compared to expectations.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a semi-translucent mahogany with a quarter inch, cream-colored head. Nose is definitely malty and reveals caramel, dark fruit and a light boozy character. Taste follows nose; however, I'm not getting much barrel-aging here. There's also a pleasant buttery quality as well as a trace of oxidation. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a prickly carbonation. While I realize this is an American Barleywine, I found this beer a little too hop forward. That said, I think a few years in the cellar would definitely enhance the experience and mellow things out a bit.

3.82/5  rDev -3%

Enjoyed on tap at Capone's on June 16th. Poured into a snifter and reviewed from notes.

Everything about the appearance is perfect. A beautiful deep mahogany brown body is highlighted by ruby hues around the edges from the ambient light filtering through the crystal clear body. A thick creamy and fluffy head comes majestically floated on top of the mahogany brew. Well retained, it leaves thick rings of lace on the sides of the glass. A swirl to erase the rings leaves a slick oily film that forms wine-like legs as it slinks its way back into the body below.

The nose, even after this sat on the bar for 20 minutes to warm to cellarish temperature is nothing exceptional. Caramel and nutty malts are the highlights of a sweet and syrupy aroma. Hints of vanilla from the barrels do come through. I like the bourbon barrels to be an accent instead of a focal point, but this almost seems too subdued. The flavor is better, but it does fall a bit short of the real stars of the -bal aged barleywine character. No slouch by any means, Cockeyed Cooper comes through with the sweet malty highlights of the aroma -- caramel and nutty notes, but also builds to include raisins, currants, and hints of dark chocolate. Vanilla, bourbon, and oak are again notably absent...or more on the periphery, really, than I would like them to be.

The sweet, thick, and syrupy body is pretty much in line with my expectations for a barleywine. The carbonation is ample to open up the flavors, though I do wish more from the aroma. Full on the palate, it leaves a sticky resinous finish. Definitely good stuff overall. This really grew on me as it warmed, so take that as a recommendation.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%

Had on tap at Capone's.

A- Dark mohagony and maroon looking brew with amber highlights. A small cap of egg shell head formed on the brew. As I sip this down there webbed lacing down the glass.

S- Picking out the aroma's is a little difficult. Some grassy hops, sweet sugars, and phenolic alcohol. All this is fairly mild though. Not horrible, but definitely under-acheiving for a barrel aged beer, especially a barleywine at that.

T- The wood from this barrel is strong as the flavors start this off. Theres a distint rye flavor, and some warming booze. The candy sugar in the nose provides a background sweetness. After warming, the backend flavors appear in the form of caramel and chocolate.

M- Medium bodied barleywine. Smooth on the palatte, yet with persistent carbonation.

O- A nice barleywine for sure. One of the weakest smelling beers for being in a barrel, but the taste backs it up. Uinta is so far so good.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Looks good ... this pours a ruby brown color and while its dark, it has good clarity. Light tan head tops it off and has quite good retention and good lacing.

S: Candied orange and dried apricot (hopping) meet a honeycomb like sweetness. This has just hints of the bourbon barrels.

T: Bourbon wood and toffee meet dried stone fruit and deep caramel notes. This is quite good, better than I was hoping for.
The oak and "forest floor" hopping bring this beer into balance. Lots of complexity finally ending dry ... what more could you want?

M: Good, long lasting and prickly.

O: This is an exceptional bourbon barrel aged barley wine. I will absolutely get this again and think it may age fairly well.

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

So, this review will be as fair as possible, but I have to disclose that I had this beer in the same sitting with FIrestone Walker Abacus. While I think was a good beer, it really didn’t hold a candle to the greatness of Abacus.

The beer is a brown/amber color with ruby/burgundy highlights. A creamy sudsy tan head forms and settles fairly quickly. Not much in the way of lacing.

Aroma was filled with caramel, some fruity esters and a touch of bourbon/vanilla. A little dry in the nose.

I found a coarseness to the flavor and some components that didn’t meld well. The standard flavors were there and there wasn’t a defect, but it didn’t seem to totally work. Again caramel malt flavors, some vanilla and hints of bourbon. THe ABV was detectable, but it wasn’t hot. Fruit was held below this coarse flavor I describe. Perhaps a bit burnt.

Fairly bold body and I can’t say it was smooth, as I think I’ve already made evident.

A decent effort, but not among my favorites for a bourbon barrel aged beer.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

I traded this beer with Sean (claaarck13) and his wife Amber for some westy beer. We had a great time in Belgium when we met in may 2011.

I poured out this bottles during a beertasting at my cousin Peter's place. There were a lot of starting beer geeks who could not believe that there are so many good beers in the world.

Poured out in a wineglass the beer start slowly with no head at all, something which one could expect with this style. Red to darkred fluid where the oak is very good noticable.

Sean was curious if i would like this beer. I can tell you Sean we liked it very much. Not a style i would buy many bottles from but in this group a very good one!

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Bright deep amber/burnt brown color with off white head and lacing

S- bourbon caramel sweetness with some wood. Nice nose

T- Caramel sweetness with vanilla and other bourbon qualities. Has a bitter earthy after taste.

M- Nice carb, not too heavy but has some heft to it. Nice finish with a little residual flavor.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.

pours a clear darkish amber tone, sits in the glass an opaque, almost chestnut color; nice, frothy finger and a half of a tan head that demonstrates nice lacing and leaves a good amount of lacing. pretty much what i expect from a well-made barleywine.

big, malt-heavy nose. notes of caramel, brown sugar, and dark fruits. bourbon is subtle but perceptible. to me the aroma is more reminiscent of an english BW than it's american counterpart, but intriguing nonetheless.

flavor is fairly complex, with more hops evident than i got from the nose along with toasted malts, caramel, vanilla, dark fruit, and a touch of bourbon. an all around nice beer.

medium-full bodied with some lively carbonation.

overall i think this is a winner - very good barleywine. doesn't challenge abacus for BW supremacy IMO, but a tasty and relatively complex brew worth a try.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Clear, bright red color. Heavy off-white head. Great lacing.

S - Aroma is lots of malt, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla. I'm not sure I'd pick up the Bourbon if I didn't know from the label that I should expect it, but all the elements are there. Aroma is a little faint for a Barley Wine. Some hops, but they are way in the background.

T - The taste is more bitter and clean than the aroma led me to expect. It is actually a little harsh, especially since wood aging typically mellows a beer. Some hops and graininess cut through the expected malt and Bourbon notes. This actually tastes more like an Imperial Red Ale than a Barley Wine to me.

M - Medium to heavy body with some lightening from carbonation. Bracing hops bitterness. Alcohol burn is there, but it is faint and in the background. The finish is very sweet and slightly cloying.

O - Overall a nice beer. A little more hoppy and "red" than I expected. Also has very muted Bourbon notes, which is a disappointment to me.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A beautiful crimson/ruby colored beer with a generous light tan head molten bubbly. Love the color to the light.

Wonderful aromas emanate from the snifter. Rich caramel and toffee, with some rum soaked raisin, bing cherry, dates, fig, plum, light oak, sweet bourbon, brown sugar, mollasses, and hints of vanilla. A sugary burnt ester at the end. Killer.

Well not nearly as sweet as the nose would indicate, dry and bursting with fruit and juicy malt. Thick caramel, dried fruit. Bitter earthy hops on the finish and some oak tannins. Bourbon comes through in the middle and falls off quickly after that. Thick with raisin and prune flavors, and the date and fig at the front and middle palate round things out. Oak flavors linger long in the finish and pester the tannins which is a bit odd. Some mollasses and rum flavors as well. Could use a bit more body and creaminess in the mouth and with just a little more residual sugar this would have been that much better. Still a very good barley wine.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

A: brown orange, cloudy tan body, finger head, outstanding lacing

S: caramel, wonderful smokey bourbon barrel aroma, vanilla, malt, fig

T: sweet ripe fig, big malt middle, bourbon, boozy, hint of spice

M: med body, hint of sticky, mild sem-dry

O: Let me start with, I love Barleywine. This is excellent.
Huge sipper, tons of flavor and look forward
to more Uinta offerings.

AMAZING, MUST TRY!

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottled on June 1 2010
Poured into a tulip

A: It pours a deep amber color with lovely red hues. The head was slow to form, but from the depths the carbonation surged and formed a one finger off white head. There was some residual lacing, but nothing spectacular.

S: Notes of caramel, figs, raisins, bourbon, vanilla, and a hint of hops start things off. It is a really good smelling American style barley wine and it appears to have held up quite well through the first year. As it warms some more there is a faint hint of the alcohol, but overall it is hidden really well.

T: The flavors are much more muted than the nose had suggested. Caramel, raisins, and bourbon are the driving forces with a hint of some hops in the finish. It finishes smooth and surprisingly crisp for such a large brew.

M: It is medium to thin with a subtle amount of carbonation.

O: I really like this brew, but I was hoping for a bit more complexity of flavors. In my opinion barley wines have a great amount of depth that this beer falls just short of.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

750ml C&C. Bottled on: 03... That's all I got. Probably March of 2011, but the printing runs off the label.

Real nice pop of the cork on this one.

Pours deep and dark, but clearly translucent reddish brown. Huge 3 finger beige head. Thick lacing.

Smells of sugar and vanilla, some dark fruits. A touch of bourbon, but this is a pretty light nose.

A pretty smooth and sweet start to the taste, vanilla extract kicks in the middle and things get bitter and somewhat astringent on the finish. I see the term "one dimensional" thrown around a lot, but I think that applies here. The flavor never seems to blossom into anything. I want to taste deep oaky notes in a barrel aged beer, but all that's here is the alcohol bite. I have to say that even though the alcohol emerges in the flavor, it still doesn't taste like an 11% beer.

Medium bodied, lighter than I was expecting. Drinkable enough, but very average overall.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Beautiful, dark and clear, brownish-copper bronze color. Slim head. This is a good beer that is engaging and worthwhile, but doesn't quite live up to its potential. The aroma is very appealing...pale malt, a little nutty-earthiness, and lots of melanoidin-enriched complex sugars. Nice. The flavor is quite good as well...it's drier than the smell leads you to believe. Although it's also a little mismatched between bitterness and maltiness. The bitterness stands out, and a more robust malt sweetness could compliment that trait. The beer hides the alcohol quite well, and there is a lot of complexity and appealing qualities about this beer. Full in body, and very enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours burgandyish. Love the color. Smells of raisins, figs, and bourbon. Taste was much less sweet than I was expecting, possibly due to the bourbon. Very nicely balanced. Tastes just like the nose but the bourbon is more present. Reminds me more of an ale than a barley wine. Bourbon is noticeable but not over powering. Still very sweet. This is a sipper for sure. I bought two bottles and I'm very interested to see what happens with some age on it.

Edit: 8-14-11 I previously said "reminds me more of an ale than a barleywine". My taste is getting better. Definitely a barleywine. Scratch that previous statement. I had this at an A-, this is more of a B+ however. Good, just not A material.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

(A) 750mL poured into a snifter. Pours a deep red, dark cherry red around the edges. Foamy beige head that leaves some lacing.

(S) Smells of currants, raisin, bourbon, fig, somewhat sweet and somewhat musty.

(T) The fig is quite present. Its very malty and has some sweetness from the malty sugars. The alcohol is hidden quite well. The bourbon comes back up with your breathing. It hangs a bit on the aftertaste.

(M) It's a smooth and complex beer. Very smooth to the finish.

(O) This was a very surprisingly god beer. Wasn't expecting it, mainly because I wasn't sure what to expect. It was very well balanced and definitely not too boozy.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a rich, dark burnt amber with unusually large frothy khaki head. Scent is dominated by piney hops, alcohol notes and nutty and bready malts. Missing is some sweetness, bourbon and oak notes - all large components of bourbon barrel aged barley wines. Taste follows scent, big hops and roasted and nutty malts. Only a very faint presence of oak and vanilla give hint to the barrel aging, no noticeable bourbon - just alcohol. Medium bodied, light for the style. Dry and tannic with an overabundance of carbonation. Letting it warm and swirling to remove carbonation does very little to improve the beer. Although its tastes ok... as a bourbon barrel barley wine, this beer does not succeed.

2.54/5  rDev -35.5%

(750ml bottle from AJ’s). Pours nearly clear copper with massive beige head. Some nice lacing develops. Aroma of strong alcohol, dank hops, wood and some band-aid. Taste is sweet with hop bitterness and a sharp alcohol bite. Medium bodied with an oily texture. Bitter, hot finish. I didn’t like this one too much. It reminds me of CL Golden Delicious where the alcohol just overpowers the base beer. An alcohol bomb.

3.61/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ruby, nice head and creamy lacing.

Hop, malt, barrels.

Graham cracker, caramel with a peanut butter finish. Never tasted peanut butter in a beer before, it's actually very nice.

Dense and rich, albeit a bit watery taste.

Solid beer with an interesting finish, no bourbon detected.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter.
A: Pours a murky brown amber with nice 2-3 inch bubbly light tan head. Good retention and lacing.
S: Strong pine hops hit first and dominate...nearly completely dominate. Citrus and some caramel malt too.
T: Strong and bitter pine hops clash with caramel malt and bourbon/alcohol notes. Not well balanced...trying to too much here. Warming does improve this beer quite a bit...hops are toned down and the bourbon, caramel malt, vanilla, oak and other notes are allowed to come through.
M: Mouth-puckeringly bitter. Hint of alcohol burn...not as much as you'd expect given the ABV.
D: Would be nice to revisit this one in a year or two. The aggressive and fresh hops need toning down...it really drowns everything else out. There seems to be some good complexity beneath the blanket of hops. As it is right now, I wouldn't recommend it. If you do happen to drink this, allow this to warm to at least 55.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

pours copper. nice dark ruby when held to the light, finger of light almond colored head. long retention that leaves solid lacing.

smell: subtle vanillas from the bourbon, nice caramel malts and a grassy hop note.

taste: thick sweet honey and caramel type sugars. almost like a dessert glaze.

mouthfeel: begins very creamy, goes down with an oily foamy feel. leaves the mouth syrupy.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Uinta Crooked Cockeyed Cooper, 750-ml bottle bought at New Beer Distributors in Manhattan, NYC, for $11. Corked and caged bottle, dated 11/19/2010

Appearance: Served in my Sierra snifter (of course!), CCC pours generously, producing an extravagant Belgian-like, bubble-topped head of massive proportions that lingers for a while. Good lacing and retention. The brew looks intensely black and opaque, with the customary auburn fringes.

Smell: Very rich and enticing, with brown butter, toffee, brown sugar, a hint of spice and wood. Dark-fruit puree and vanilla.

Taste: More sugar, sweetness and that hint of spice. Caramel, even a tad of coffee and smoke/fireplace. Very nourishing, like warm bread right out of a brick oven. Subtle wood and prickly booze.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy and smooth, with full body and carbonation and medium-to-full flavor. Never overpowering, well balanced. Nice dry woodsy finish with a lingering bourbon feel.

Overall: This really works. Drinks easy, feels great, nicely balanced. Sure, the barrel taste could be greater, but as it is, you gotta like it. My only complaint would be the huge bottle format. I had to drink a whole 750-ml bottle on my own.

Cockeyed Cooper from Uinta Brewing Company