Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Uinta Brewing Company

Pumpkin Ale |  10.31% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: rudzud on 09-05-2011

Aged in oak barrels.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

Typically I am not a fan of Pumpkin beers, but this blew me away.
From start to finish this stole the show. We had plenty of great brews yesterday, but I will be seeking out more of this.
tastes like a very good strong ale, but then on finish has the delightful pumpkin pie flavor. (283 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amber to copper in color with moderate head and lacing. Smell is cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, sugar, wood, and maybe vanilla. Taste is a boozy pumpkin pie with notes of vanilla, spice, and some bitters. Mouthful is a bit oily but light to medium with medium carbonation. Overall one of my favorite pumpkin beers. (312 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

Color: is a dark amber to redish brown color. the aging in oak I believe it had an affacted.

Smell: a very nice pumpkin smell

Taste and Mouthfell: This beer you can taste the pumpkin and a light nutmegg after taste with pumpkin. This is very balance beer.

This is a very good beer and I wish there was some more on the shelves here in Chicago. This just became one of my favorite beers for pumpkin beers. Cheers! (416 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%

I guess I should say that I am scoring this beer in comparison to all other pumpkin ales and not to my personal faves of all time; with that being said, this is probably my favorite pumpkin ale I've ever had, falling short from some homebrew I had last year (not my homebrew though).
A: Brown-ish orangy. poured with a heavy finger or two of head that settled out in a few min.
S: Spicy(nutmeg, cinnamon, clove), sweet pumpkin and oak/vanilla, this kinda reminded me of pie crust. So essentially I was smelling a boozy pumpkin pie- awesome.
T: A little bit thinner than I expected. I was almost expecting belgian yeast flavorsbut no. There was a little bit too much carbonation for me, which I think added to the levity of the beer. Do not be mistaken though, the beer is very big. Tastes like pumpkin pie to me, which is freakin' awesome.
M: See above.
O: A great beer, I am glad that I bought a few of them to age, I'd definetly like to have one next year, hopefully the carbonation will die down and the beer will evolve nicley.
O: I am glad that I bought a few of these (1,074 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

Beautiful pour. A red tinged auburn with a sizable creamy beige head. Nice lacing. Fantastic spicey aroma - cloves, vanilla, eggnog, oven baked pie. Sweet tasting, with just a hint of bitterness to prevent it from becoming too cloying. Spieced sweet potato and marshmellows. Wow. This is really quite nice. Very smooth mouthfeel - creamy, velvety. Alcohol is warming, but oh so very well hidden. Overall, this is, bar none, the very best pumpkin beer I have ever had. Exceptional in style, and quite nice and well rounded as a whole. Highest recommendation for a Halloween treat. (579 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a dark amber color with a creamy tan head that laces well. The aroma is a clean pumpkin smell. The taste is exactly what it should be, pumpkin and spice, not watery and not overpowering. A perfect balance of ingredients gives this a smooth, almost velvety mouthfeel and a taste that puts you in the season. Nice warming ABV but well hidden. (346 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottled on 08/29/12. Poured in to tulip.

A - Very dark amber colour; only slightly translucent. Two fingers of creamy tan coloured head. Good lacing.

S -A great mix of oak, sweet caramel malts and pumpkin with a big spice presence. Brown sugar and some bready malt aromas are present.

T - Very sweet without being cloying. A big brown sugar presence with dark caramel created a big sweet malt base. The oak presence is huge, adding woody character and some char. The pumpkin pie flavours show up as well, adding yet another layer to the complexity of this beer along with pumpkin, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg flavours. The ABV is slightly warming and perfectly cuts through the sweet malt presence. Very complex and very well done.

M - Medium, almost full body. Creamy and thick. Light carbonation. An absolutely perfect mouth feel. (838 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first thing I noticed was the scent you get from aging an ale in oak barrels - which generally correlates to a tasty beer. This was again the case - even flavors all around - the spices, the pumpkin and oak barrels. A dark brown color, with very little opacity. Feels nice - a perfect amount of carbonation with a very light head. It's late in the season, however, I can say this is my favorite pumpkin beer, especially at 10.31%. Snag it if you have the chance or try it next fall. (487 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Reddish brown with a foamy mocha head.

S: Oak, pumpkin, vanilla in the nose.

T: Oak, a spicy bit of alcohol, vanilla, cinnamon, with a nice backbone of malt and pumpkin as well as some pumpkin overtones. Pumpkin is dominant, but not overstated.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: My favorite pumpkin ale. It's delicious! Definitely worth a try. (346 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I just had the pleasure of trying this Imperial Pumpkin. I have to say that I am a bit of a pumpkin beer follower. Some are good, some great, some not worth having again.
To me, Pumpkin beer is a great representation of a truly seasonal beer...

I tried this Oak Jacked Pumpkin from a 750 corked and caged bottle.

Poured in to a large wine style glass, the beer appears a beautiful blend of fall colors.

The smell is exciting if tou are a pumpkin fan, which you should be if you are drinking this beer.

The beer has a taste that surpasses the smell, which in pumpkin beers is rare in my opi ion. I have to say that this Imperial Pumpkin surpasses the hype, and is truly a delicious sipping autumn beer.

Do yourself a favor and give it a try. (748 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Bought this a couple months ago, finally got a chance to crack it open

A: Pours a dark brown with a white head. Head doesn't stick around for too long.

S: This smells like a oak barrel-aged barleywine. Some slight cinnamon and pumpkin notes are there as well.

T: Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, roasted malts. This is definitely a barleywine.

M: Medium mouthfeel with very little carbonation.

O: This is a pretty good beer. Pumpkin is hardly noticeable but I will definitely pick this up again if I can find it next year. (521 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked this up at Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa, CA on 10/3 for $12.49.

Pours a leaves changing colors autumn red with a thin cap of light tan foam. Partial head retention. Aroma is reminiscent of pumpkin pie with a heavy dose of nutmeg, yam, and a dash of cardamom. More pumpkin pie spiciness coming through in the flavor, meshing well with a toasted oak/vanilla. A pinch of cinnamon lingers on in the finish. Medium bodied with enough carbonation to keep the palette refreshed and the lovely aromas perking up from the glass. Delicious blend of pumpkin pie spices melding well with the oak. Might be picking up another one for the cellar. (638 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a trolls tulip.

A- pours a wonderful Autumn brown with a nice white foamy head that dissolves into a light lacing that holds well.

S- Nice pumpkin aroma. It has some spice but unlike most beers in this category its not over spiced. I get some sweet malts, brown sugar and molasses. Some oak is found towards the end.

T- Follows the nose nicely. This beer has more pumpkin flavor then most. I feel like they found a way to preserve it very well. The spice of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice are there but not over bearing. The oak is more present on the taste then the nose.

M- Carbonated nicely. It fades rather fast but is good for the style and the oak seems to linger.

O- This is one of the best pumpkin beers I've had to date. Really well balanced and i feel the pumpkin is actually present as apposed to just the spices you normally find in pumpkin pie. (874 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into my DFH Tulip.

A - Pours a rich mahogany/orange, with a huge, fluffy off-white head,
that lingers on forever. Easily 3-fingers of head, for a slow, light pour.
The lacing left behind after each sip is sticky, thick, and velvety.

S - Vanilla, nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon are the (Usual) offenders here.
I'm almost certain that the vanilla is taken more from the barrel aging than it is the actual use of vanilla, as it is more subdued than most pumpkin ales.
There ARE light vegetal notes of pumpkin, and a bit of sweetness. There is no hint of the fact that this beer is over 10% ABV on the nose. Sneaky, sneaky beer....

T - Once again, alcohol isn't even a factor, as well hidden as it is on the palate. You get more of it as the beer warms. Creamy, and just a tiny bit sweet, with the vanilla and oak leading the way, only to be rounded out by kisses of pie spice. I could drink this all day, but if I did, I'd never get anything done. Damn! The hops are an afterthought, which is okay since this beer, flavor-wise, delivers in so many ways that they aren't needed. The malt makes a big enough appearance to buoy up all the spice and lactose flavors presented.

M - Again, Creamy, smooth, and round. The carbonation isn't overwhelming, but only serves to push the plethora of fall-friendly flavors across your palate, making it far too easy to knock this high-ABV monster back quickly.

O - Being the first Uinta beer I've had (They just made it to Texas) I am more than impressed. SO many breweries do such disservice to the pumpkin beer category that a large amount of folks discount the style as "Gross", or "Sweet". Here is a beer to prove the uneducated masses wrong. I don't get all the cats who have previously reviewed this beer who said that it didn't taste anything like a "Pumpkin beer"... All the characteristics are there, and more. It's friggin' delicious! And as an aside, it is even better with Pumpkin-pie cheesecake. (Don't judge. I'm an adult, and I do what I want!)
If you come across it, grab it. It's worth the time, money, and brain-cells.

Cheers!!! (2,103 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%

Fills the glass with a rich reddish amber hue and a thick and frothy head. Lots of pumpkin and spice right up front on the nose. A bit of woody vanilla in there as well. Taste reveals a nice balance of gourdy pumpking and cinnamon and nutmeg. Oaky and malty as well, with little to no hop presence. (299 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a dark ruby. Perhaps the slow way I poured this one, but no head to speak of.

Nose is rich and decadent. A pumpkin feast with the usual holiday spices, sweet malt.

Taste is very pleasing. Everything presented on the nose becomes even more rich on the palate. Warm, mild sweetness. Maple, brown sugar, and oh yeah, pumpkin. I even have sweet yams come to mind.

Mouthfeel dominated more by the warmth than carbonation. I like it :-)

Finishes with sweet moving into a very mild bitterness and a yammy type of finish.

Would definitely repeat this one. One of the best pumpkin beers I've had. (599 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Beautiful pour. Towering off-white khaki cap of foam hangs around with great retention and leaves excellent lace. Crystal clear pomegranate black tea body. A stellar looking beer.

S - Caramel, touch of wood, root beer, raw pie dough, pumpkin pie filling.

T - Nutmeg, oak, cinnamon, light booze, almond extract, great pumpkin pie filling center, mashed sweet potatoes, vanilla.

M - Medium body, with a thick and smooth finish.

O - A awesome pumpkin beer. Gorgeous looks, great flavor profile with an excellent pumpkin character front and center, and stellar balance. (573 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

A: deep translucent ruby brown body, 2 fingers of ivory head, left ample lace; thin filmy lid persisted

S: nice oaky and pumpkin-y sweet, rich malts and hints of holiday spice

T: well-represented pumpkin ale flavors - pumpkin, clove, coriander; fruity and malty caramel sweet, capped with fainter notes of earth and oak; vegetal flavors weave in and out, adding weight and balance to the sweetness and the oakiness.

M: great body, perfect weight, crisper and cleaner than I expected for an Imperial - I'll chalk it up to the oak barrel-aging; wonderful finish left a nice semi-sweet, semi-savory aftertaste

O: I like Imperial pumpkin ales, and I've had a few - I enjoy the rich, strong, and bold pumpkin and spice, and i appreciate the addition of other flavors, like those imparted by the oak barrel-aging, so I happen to have really enjoyed this beer. It is more complex than a Pumking and not as light/bright-tasting as a Smashed Pumpkin; it reminded me of a lighter version of Heavy Seas' Great'er Pumpkin (which is bourbon barrel-aged, and has a heavier and sweeter, almost over-the-top, flavor). What I'm leading up to is that all of the aforementioned beers are my favorite Imperial pumpkin ales, and this beer gladly fits among them. It may even surpass some of them... Bottom-line: a must have for any fan of the style. (1,332 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

750mL bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 10.99. Bottled 9/04/12. Served in a Southern Tier Pumking goblet.

Pours deep ruby red with a lively two and a half fingers pale tan head that fades quickly but leaves large islands of lace.

Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, graham cracker and a bit of veggie/ gourd.

Taste is like a big boozy pumpkin pie. Quite tasty. Sweet pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg spice, sweet bread, vanilla, brown sugar and a good wallop of alcohol. It drinks hot but not distractingly so.

Medium heavy feel with light carbonation. Cooling alcohol presence and a long aftertaste.

While admittedly I've far from sampled all that the hoard of pumpkin seasonals crowding the shelves these days has to offer, this is by far the most complex. The oak aging really adds a great depth and I really liked how boozey it is. Alot of good stuff going on. I'm definately going to pick up another bottle or two to enjoy and to perhaps try aging. (968 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Finally a worthy pumpkin ale (though a pricey one!) Poured from bottle into fluted pint at Beer Mongers Portland. This represents a general consensus by the three folks enjoying it:

Pours with a nice appearance for a barrel aged beer. Light head that rapidly vanishes, low carbonation, nice black/brown-clear hue.

Smells mostly of baking spices and sweet fruit and candy with a hint of pumpkin. Has a nice fall, baked pie thing going on, though more of a rhubarb pie aroma.

Amazing flavors of pumpkin pie with a nice backing of liquor like sweetness. Really comes off as a nice after dinner beverage on the palate.

Full bodied though not overpowering, nicely balanced alcohol and tannins. Really lovely texture.

Overall one of the best pumpkin ales I have tasted recently. Compared with other Imperial, barrel aged brews I don't think it would quite stack up, but compared fairly to other pumpkin ales it's a winner! (921 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Popped this one open to celebrate Halloween and it has become a personal tradition for me to do so each year as long as i have some available. What could be more appropriate for the holiday than a pumpkin ale with an ABV of 10.31%??

A: Deep, dark, rich orange with undertones of dark red and mahogany. Thin tan head. Poured into a snifter.

S: Compared to other pumpkin ales, I definitely get less spice in the nose but still there. Mainly clove, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a little nutmeg. Definitely get some pumpkin too.

T: Great tasting pumpkin ale. Like the nose, get clove (but not too much which is good b/c I don't like my pumpkin ales overly "clovey"), brown sugar, a little nutmeg and a heavy dose of pumpkin. Molasses too...lots of it...delicious! Also definite vanilla and some wood in the aftertaste. I really like what the oak aging has done to this beer. Makes it more complex than a lot of other pumpkin ales without making it overly boozy like some bourbon barrel pumpkin ales I have tried (and didn't really like that much). Heavy on the malt (which I like). More vanilla as it warms up.

M: Easy to drink but with the high ABV, can definitely sneak up on you so probably better as a sipper. Alcohol is well hidden. Great body on this beer to be such an easy drinker; very satisfying.

Overall, I enjoyed this one a lot and would definitely buy it again if I ever find more. It is rich, delicious, and probably one of my top 3-4 for the style along with Schlafly and CCB Good Gourd. Highly recommended (if you like pumpkin ales). (1,550 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Whoa, big beer! Poured slightly warm with a giant tan, slow to settle, thick, foamy head and good lacing. Color is a clear, deep amber with few bubble trails. Aroma is oaked pumpkin, malt, spice, hops. Flavor's like nose with everything much more bold. Sweet and tang are out front and bitter brings up a strong, long lasting end. Body is full round, alcohol warm with just enough bitter to keep it interesting. Finish is like flavor and as stated above. Rich, so one big bottle is plenty. (489 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 9/6/2012. Pours lightly hazy deep ruby red color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of huge caramel, toffee, pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, toast, brown sugar, gingerbread, oak, vanilla, bourbon, light chocolate, light roast, and toasted earthiness. Incredible aromas with great balance and complexity of malt, spice, pumpkin, and barrel notes; with great strength. Taste of big caramel, toffee, pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, toast, brown sugar, gingerbread, oak, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and toasted earthiness. Lingering notes of caramel, toffee, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, toast, brown sugar, gingerbread, oak, bourbon, vanilla, light chocolate, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity of malt, pumpkin, spice, and barrel flavors; with a near perfect balance of all flavors and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately creamy, slick, and slightly syrupy mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic barrel aged pumpkin ale! All around awesome balance and complexity of malt, spice, pumpkin, and barrel flavors; and very smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering. (1,477 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Dark copper-red color with a finger of frothy khaki-tan head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, oak, vanilla, pumpkin, brown sugar, dark fruits, cloves, cinnamon, and some other spices, a bit of booze.

T - Sweet caramel and dark caramel malts, pumpkin, oak, vanilla, brown sugar, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, other spices, raisins and other dark fruits, and a bit of booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, warming, and lightly spicy finish.

D - Great barrel aged pumpkin ale. Nice blend of spices. (562 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +8.6%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours an almost crimson/ruby color with a nice tan frothy head. Some lace.

(S)- Great spices and a creamy pumpkin aroma with the slightest hint at some dry oaky vanilla. Smells amazing!

(T)- Not as awesome as the smell, but still very good. Nice spice and pumpkin characters. The oak aging definitely added a nice dryness and an oakier, almost sherry-like finish to it that is quite nice.

(M)- A nice carbonation level and balance. Spicy, but with awesome creamy pumpkin and dry oak.

(D)- A great pumpkin beer amidst some rather disappointing ones I have tried over the years. Smooth, but tastes dynamic and very enjoyable. The oak aging really created some unique nuances in this. (742 characters)

Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Uinta Brewing Company